PDA

View Full Version : A half dozen puzzles that will make your PCs think outside the box

Cookiemobsta
2008-07-07, 09:43 AM
Hi guys,
So I'm a big fan of getting my players away from their dice and their character sheets. I'm always happiest when I can put them up against an obstacle that forces them to imagine and to experiment, rather than figure out what ability they need to use and what DC they need to beat to get past. Sure, it's good to give them a chance to shine at the things that their characters are good at, but it's even better when it's not their character but them that figures out the solution to a tricky problem.

So with that in mind, here are a half dozen puzzles that will force your PCs to put down their character sheets and really imagine what's going on around them. With a few exceptions, there aren't really any dice rolls that need to be made, and there's not a significant amount of danger in making a wrong guess--to encourage experimentation.

(Some of these puzzles were inspired by various games or movies; in that case I credit the source in case you know your players have seen/played it).

Let me know if you have any questions about these, or if you use any of them . I've used all of them with success in the last campaign I ran. You'll probably need to adapt them some to your own situation, but hopefully the original kernel of an idea is a useful one.

1. The cursed rhyming book
While exploring a wizard's library or some such location, the party finds a table with books strewn on it. One of the books happens to be open, and someone in the party will likely read it.

When they do, hand the person who read it a sheet of paper and tell them that on the paper is what they read in the book. The sheet should say something to the effect of "This book is a cursed rhyming book. Anybody who reads it can only speak in rhyme until the curse is lifted. To lift the curse, someone who is not under the curse must say (while rhyming) that you are cursed to rhyme. You can give them hints that you are cursed to rhyme and that they can lift the curse through their actions, but you cannot directly tell them anything (so they could say "I do not want to speak like this/that you would help me is my wish" but they can't say "tell me my rhyming is a curse/and do it in verse"). The puzzle will be solved when one of the non-cursed party members says something like "Your strange speech is very tragic/I believe you are under the influence of dark magic."

Those who have once been cursed by the book are thereafter immune to the book's powers, but the party can freely take the book with them and use it against other people in future encounters. If used correctly, this book can be very powerful; imagine sneaking into the orc warlord's quarters and leaving the book there, so the next morning when he tries to rally his generals he causes a riot by speaking only in verse, or replacing a lich's powerful spellbook with the rhyming book right before he's going to start a ritual (which would have the added bonus of making all of his somatic spells useless).

2. The very unhelpful toad (inspired by the Tenth Kingdom miniseries)

At the end of a dank tunnel, the party finds that the path branches in two directions. In the middle of the fork, sitting on a pedestal and illuminated by a flickering torch, is a toad. When the party approaches, the toad tells them "Beware! One path leads to what you seek, but the other brings fiery doom to the first living thing that sets foot upon it!" When the party questions the toad, he will admit to knowing which path is which, but won't offer any hints, insisting that nothing the party could offer him would match his satisfaction at seeing them sizzle.

The correct solution to this puzzle, of course, is to chuck the toad into one of the tunnels and see what happens. For dramatic effect this tunnel should always be the fiery doom one. They would also be successful if they successfully intimidate the toad, if they use a bag of tricks to throw in another animal, or if they go hunting for a mouse or something. But honestly, they should really chuck the toad. If they decide to enter the wrong tunnel, they'll take fire damage that will on average knock out about half their health (so if they have 60hp, you should roll 6d10), or, if you're cruel, instant-kill them (but this will likely frustrate them).

3. Spelling bee

The party reaches a door that has "Think backwards" chiseled in the stone above it, and the alphabet inscribed on the door itself. The door is a heavy metal door, has no apparent knob or key, and the DC to break it down is Don't Bother. To pass, the party needs to spell the word "kniht", which is "think" backwards When the party touches a letter, that letter glows briefly and one of two things happen. If it's the next letter in "kniht", it continues glowing and changes color. If it's not, the character receives an electric shock or something moderately nasty. When they spell "kniht", the door opens.

4. Test of purity (taken from Exile series by Spiderweb software)

In an ancient temple, the party enters a room marked "Test of purity" The room is a long hallway, with the door to the next section at the end. The middle section of the hallway is made up of golden tiles, and near the entrance is a sunken stone basin, full of a goopy whitish liquid (somewhat similar to shampoo or a milkshake.) The liquid smells faintly of perfume; if tasted, it tastes like sour milk mixed with soap, and if touched, it has a slimy, greasy texture. If the party steps on the golden tiles, a voice says "Unclean" and they are (depending on how merciful you want to be), either shocked for a small amount of damage or pushed back off the tiles. If a party member touches the liquid before crossing, nothing will happen and they can cross safely. The idea is that worshippers who used the ancient temple would use the liquid to do a purification ritual, and so the tiles check to see if the faithful were faithful enough.

5.Test of perception (taken from an old King Arthur PC game for DOS)

This one is pretty straightforward. A suit of armor, wearing a pendant with a dull red pendant on it, stands near a doorway. When the party approaches, the pendant flashes and the suit of armor comes to life, standing in front of the doorway and attacking anybody who comes near. When the armor is killed, it slumps to the ground, then the pendant flashes and it rises again and fights again, this time stronger. The party needs to cut off the pendant or shatter it or something to win this fight.
If they merely cut the pendant off and one of the members decides to keep it (there is a gem on it, after all), the pendant will continuously tempt them to put it on (a la the ring in Lord of the Rings, although it's probably best to do this through in-character temptation rather than will saves or something like that). If they do, they gain the same immortality but they will mindlessly attack the nearest living thing until the pendant is destroyed. Once the pendant is taken off, if they have taken a lethal amount of damage while it was on then they die.

They could theoretically use this to their advantage; when fleeing impossible odds one heroic member stays behind and puts the pendant on when the enemy hordes come near.

6. Test of the brother

This one is also fairly straightforward. The party has reached the innermost sanctum of the dungeon, with only one door between them and whatever they seek. But this door doesn't have a knob or lock; instead there is a handprint in the center of the door. If the party puts their hands in, nothing happens. There are two possibile solutions you could make for this
-If this is a modern dungeon (ie, a drow fortress), then they need to find a corpse of whatever critters run the dungeon and use the hand from that.
-If this is an abandoned dungeon (where the creators have long since left), you will have needed to put in a skeleton earlier in the dungeon of whatever species created the dungeon. This could have been in an overt place, as in a crypt, or this could have been a skeleton strewn about in front of a dangerous area. The party should have seen it on their path coming in, so they just need to remember it and go get it.

Alternatively, if the dungeon was made by members of a species that is in the party (ie, a dwarf temple or something) then it's just a matter of that member putting their hand in.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-07-07, 12:00 PM
I think The Unhelpful Toad is my favorite of them all, and I definitely want to use that and more in at least one of my campaigns.

thevorpalbunny
2008-07-07, 02:04 PM
I don't like test of the brother. It's too likely that they A) Won't think of it
B) Won't think a skeleton would work or C) Won't remember about the skeleton

Icewalker
2008-07-07, 02:41 PM
Yeah, some of these seem a little simple. The toad one is AWESOME though. I love it.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-07, 02:50 PM
My party would probably think to do it.

Edit: The Toad thing, not the test of the brother.

Cookiemobsta
2008-07-07, 03:21 PM
The party that played my campaign made it through "Think backwards" and the unhelpful toad fairly quickly, but they had to stop and think awhile about the test of purity and the test of the brother. The rhyming book took an especially long time (because all of the party members but one decided to look at the book, so only one person could guess. Everybody playing that day was an English major, though, so at least the rhyming was pretty good.)

For the test of the brother, I put the skeleton in the room immediately before, so that helped them some. You might need to add some additional clues, though.

Most of these puzzles are not extremely difficult, but that's intentional. A puzzle that's easy to solve is much better than a puzzle that's too hard to solve. They're just a nice way for the party to shift gears, sheathe their weapons and use a different part of their brain for a little bit; I didn't design them to seriously challenge the party.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-07, 03:27 PM
I have one where there's an inscription above the door saying "BLOW UP" There are scorch marks all around the door. To open the door, you need to move the perfectly balanced pressure pad on the ceiling above.

Silence
2008-07-07, 03:50 PM
A personal favorite of mine:

Players walk into a room. Have a giant pit in the center of the room. This pit has silence and darkness cast on it, so player's can't communicate with those who jumped. The pit is 100ft deep with spikes and acid at the bottom. Make giant, red arrows pointing towards the pit. The doors lock and are enchanted to be extremely hard to break down.

Players will assume that they're supposed to jump. Muahahaha!

Anyone who jumps, you ask to go to another room, in which you tell them what happened. After ten minutes, the doors unlock.

Make sure that the players have no way to meta game their way around this.

Almost as awesome as the Tomb of Horrors sphere of annihilation trick.

Cookiemobsta
2008-07-08, 01:35 AM
A personal favorite of mine:

Players walk into a room. Have a giant pit in the center of the room. This pit has silence and darkness cast on it, so player's can't communicate with those who jumped. The pit is 100ft deep with spikes and acid at the bottom. Make giant, red arrows pointing towards the pit. The doors lock and are enchanted to be extremely hard to break down.

Anyone who jumps, you ask to go to another room, in which you tell them what happened. After ten minutes, the doors unlock.

Make sure that the players have no way to meta game their way around this.

Almost as awesome as the Tomb of Horrors sphere of annihilation trick.

Wouldn't this basically just kill half of the party, without any real way for them to get around it? I doubt most players would assume their best course of action is to just sit there, since they wouldn't know the doors would be opening.

Colmarr
2008-07-08, 01:50 AM

Actually, there's no way in heck that any character of mine would jump into such an obvious deathtrap.

First I'd try lowering someone down on a 50' rope. Otherwise we'd try to have someone climb or fly down. Either way, once they're clear of the darkness effect (assuming there's only one casting) or reach the bottom of the rope (if there's more than one), the trap becomes obvious and up they come (signalling the desire to rise by shooting an arrow into the ceiling or some such)...

Colmarr
2008-07-08, 02:00 AM
Continuing in the vein of the OP, I used a couple of "riddles" in my last 3.5e campaign.

The first was based on some fluff in the PHB that mentioned that clerics often used Channel positive energy to act as a sort of magical lock. I tweaked that idea by making a room in an abandoned temple guarded by animated statues that attacked anyone who crossed a gold line on the floor. Next to the gold line was an inscription "Demonstrate your piety to pass safely". The statues could be de-activated by a cleric burning a use of turn undead or otherwise channeling positive energy (there was no paladin in the campaign, but if there were that would have worked too).

The party really struggled with this one, despite me letting them take untrained Int-checks for clues.
Finally, after the cleric player had received 2 clues but still didn't get it, his third clue was "Check pg X under the heading Y". Then he got it :smallsmile:

The second was in the same temple. Massive stone doors blocked the way forward with no obvious means to open them. There were two fonts nearby with inscriptions around their edge. I forget the specific riddles I copied from an online riddle site, but one was answered "Candle" and required the PCs to somehow put flame in the font. The other was answered "Waterfall" and required the PCs to put water in the font. Once both requirements were met, the doors opened.

The party solved this one pretty easily. The fire font had melted wax in it, which was just enough of a hint for them to realise the answer was candle and solve the riddle that way. The water font took them slightly longer, but wasn't that hard to solve once you knew that the first font required fire.

insecure
2008-07-08, 05:05 AM
I will be surprised if my party won't throw the toad into the tunnel.:smallamused:

Xuincherguixe
2008-07-08, 05:37 AM
Wouldn't throwing the toad into the tunnel be an evil act?

It seems to me that the correct solution is to take the toad with them. It's probably not suicidal.

Drager
2008-07-08, 05:54 AM
Not if you say, we are going to throw you down the tunnel, now pick one or I do. Then count backwards form 10. If he is suicidal, he gets his wish, if not you can check that its safe without having to blindly walk down a tunnel toad in hand and hope hes sane.

Xuincherguixe
2008-07-08, 05:57 AM
Ooo! I just thought of a great twist. BOTH sides are trapped like that ^_^.

Seriously, why should the PCs trust the creator of this place that's trying to kill them to tell the truth?

DigoDragon
2008-07-08, 07:16 AM
The Toad puzzle is hilarious. :smallbiggrin:
I'm reminded of an XKCD comic- "And here we have 3 doors with three guards. One always tells the truth, one always lies, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions."

mikeejimbo
2008-07-08, 11:15 AM
Wouldn't throwing the toad into the tunnel be an evil act?

That's no problem for my group.

BarroomBard
2008-07-09, 12:18 AM

Seriously, why should the PCs trust the creator of this place that's trying to kill them to tell the truth?

See, that's why the smart party throws the toad, setting off the trap, and then walks down THAT SAME tunnel. The toad said it would spring on "the first living thing to enter it", so after its been set off, that tunnel is safe (or, at least, down one trap).

Xuincherguixe
2008-07-09, 01:53 AM
The Toad puzzle is hilarious. :smallbiggrin:
I'm reminded of an XKCD comic- "And here we have 3 doors with three guards. One always tells the truth, one always lies, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions."

If I asked you a tricky question, would you stab me?"
"No"
"Yes"
*stab!* *stab* *stab* Hey! What gives?

I damage reduction 5/bludgeoning. It's too bad you can only STAB people.

"... I feel like I should stab you for this, but I can't!"

insecure
2008-07-09, 04:05 AM
Why should the toad speak the truth at all?

Xuincherguixe
2008-07-09, 06:12 AM
Why should the toad speak the truth at all?

That's a good reason for throwing it. But even if not, he might start getting nervous if the party is about to head down the wrong path.

The party could also say, "Tell us which is the safe path. Because we're going to throw you in that direction." (probably best to grab it FIRST so it can't get away)

It could be lying, and might be that the first thing that touches the path is the ONLY thing saved, but for arguments sake, we'll assume the party has a reliable source :P

D Knight
2008-07-09, 08:07 AM
heck i would be lucky if the party i am DMing for would not throw a party member into the hall frist. but i do like the toad might just use that in an up comeing event thanks and does anyone have more.

PanNarrans
2008-07-23, 06:02 PM
I just ran a variant of the toad puzzle with my gaming group, as a test of virtue left in the ruined headquarters of an order of paladins. One of the party threw the toad... and was struck by holy fire, for taking the wrong moralpath.
Y'know? Paladins?

DracoDei
2008-07-23, 06:23 PM
Well... if he didn't pick it up, THREATEN IT, and only after it still refused THEN throw it, I could see that... otherwise you are having paladins as "Lawful Stupid" instead of "Lawful Good".

chronoplasm
2008-07-23, 08:32 PM
I guess I'll share mine.

I had the party searching out the Armor of Saiko. Each armor piece had a riddle they needed to solve in order to unlock its true power.

The Helmet of Saiko gave a +3 to AC, but it had no eye holes so you couldn't see out of the thing.
The riddle on the helmet read "When you see evil, turn the other cheek."
The solution is to take the helmet off and put it back on the other way around. Only then can you see through the Eyes of Saiko!

throtecutter
2008-07-23, 09:03 PM
I had a dead end with a magic mouth that says counterspell three to continue.
The correct way to get through is to count 123 or spell three to continue.

Also, for high level characters, you can reward the person that actually has nonmagical random stuff by having a torch with an AMF centered on it, which needs to be lit to continue through the dungeon.
No one in my party had a nonmagic form of fire...

Jack_Simth
2008-07-23, 09:15 PM
The problem with puzzles, is that when you're making one, you make exactly X ways of getting through it, and arrange "punishment" of one kind or another for any solution that's not one of the X you thought up when making the puzzle.

If the players are sufficiently like-minded, this isn't a problem; they can figure it out without too much hassle. This is fine, and fun. If they don't think sufficiently like the person who made the puzzle, they'll get very, very annoyed (either sitting there doing nothing, or getting their characters all killed over something silly). This is bad. Know your group.

Roderick_BR
2008-07-24, 07:59 AM

Because the creator of the place needed a way to walk around too? Unless the creator had immunity to fire...
It usually gets down to "how the people that used to live here walked around without getting killed in their own traps?" Traps based in racial traits are fair game, though. I heard of a dwarven cave that had dangerous scorpion like critters with dangerous poison, but the local dwarves had long ago become immune to that poison.

And yeah, my friends would throw the toad too... if the fighter doesn't rush running in first.

ericgrau
2008-07-24, 08:39 AM
The problem with puzzles, is that when you're making one, you make exactly X ways of getting through it, and arrange "punishment" of one kind or another for any solution that's not one of the X you thought up when making the puzzle.

If the players are sufficiently like-minded, this isn't a problem; they can figure it out without too much hassle. This is fine, and fun. If they don't think sufficiently like the person who made the puzzle, they'll get very, very annoyed (either sitting there doing nothing, or getting their characters all killed over something silly). This is bad. Know your group.

I agree, this is something to watch out for on all puzzles. But the O.P.'s approach of making them easy to make sure they're solvable gets around this.

PanNarrans
2008-07-24, 11:51 AM
You don't only have to accept the solution you thought of originally, though. A puzzle appears because of circumstances in the gameworld, so there will usually be other ways to get round it.
I generally think on my feet as a DM, so often the party's attempt to solve something will change circumstances enough to create a new way of getting through.

Fostire
2008-07-25, 07:40 PM
You don't only have to accept the solution you thought of originally, though. A puzzle appears because of circumstances in the gameworld, so there will usually be other ways to get round it.
I generally think on my feet as a DM, so often the party's attempt to solve something will change circumstances enough to create a new way of getting through.

Accepting other solutions to the puzzles is what GMs should do but instead they tend to punish players who don't use the exact solution they planned.

aaron_the_cow
2008-07-25, 09:06 PM
instead of a talking toad, have an inscription and a toad that has been flesh to stoned.

if its a normal toad and you have a palidin in the party who is being a "lawful pain", take the toad with you and see if it will talk befor you reach the passage way.

Gorgondantess
2009-01-02, 02:19 AM
Oh, yeah, I've seen 10th kingdom. That's my favorite part:smallbiggrin:. I've actually thrown a similar one on my players, except it was a guy, not a toad. Nonetheless, the party barbarian just picked him up and hurled him down a corridor.... but it was the safe corridor, and the guy happened to be pretty powerful, and the barbarian ended up getting killed for it. Yep.

Triaxx
2009-01-02, 09:17 AM
Test of the brother is easy enough to rig. Make sure you mention the hand print. Someone will put a hand to it, and have that trigger the proper creature to show up. Skeletons, Drow, or what have you.

I'd be hard pressed to stay awake waiting for my party to finish arguing with themselves over how to cook the frog legs.