PDA

View Full Version : The Lowly Kobold (What to do to them?)

Stormdrake
2008-07-07, 11:39 AM
This grew out of a discussion with my GM after he complained that several members of my group know the critters of the manuals forwards and backwords. For arguments sake we chose the kobold as our experimental subject. After talking about the use of magic items included in the kobolds hoard we branched out into things like making them also were-rats. Has any one else done things to lower level critters to make them viable against higher level parties?

Morty
2008-07-07, 11:48 AM
Well, the obvious way is to swap some class levels on them.

chiasaur11
2008-07-07, 11:50 AM
Ever heard of Tucker's Kobolds?

Google it and see one solution.

BRC
2008-07-07, 11:51 AM
Two Words: Pun-Pun.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-07-07, 12:07 PM
I think a kobold would make an excellent puppetmaster big bad.

Think about it, an ingenious trap-master who manipulates the party and others with mighty threats that dance at his will.

When they finally reveal him...a tiny kobold.

He himself may not be a huge threat, but I think they'll never forget him.

Elhann
2008-07-07, 12:12 PM
Two Words: Pun-Pun.

I hope this is sarcasm. Pun-pun is a good theretical exercise, but has very little, if any, place in an actual game.

Adding templates, class levels, or sound strategies are a much better way to "surprise" your players, without breaking suspension of disbelief. Avoid stacking too many templates.

Failing that, you can always homebrew your own monster (or use some from the homebrew section), use another monster manual, or just describe a monster as something different (i.e. use the "ogre" block, and just say it is an extraordinarily large orc, and you're set)

Draz74
2008-07-07, 12:38 PM
Pun-pun is a good theretical exercise, but has no place in an actual game.

IMHO.

extra characters

kjones
2008-07-07, 01:00 PM
Kobolds make natural sorcerers. Give 'em Dragonblooded feats from Races of the Dragon, too. (Or is that in Dragon Magic?)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-07-07, 02:37 PM
Wasn't there just a discussion on how to get a Kobold Sorcerer to cast 3 levels better than normal? Do that.

Or just go Tucker (http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/) on them. :smallwink:

BRC
2008-07-07, 02:39 PM
I hope this is sarcasm. Pun-pun is a good theretical exercise, but has very little, if any, place in an actual game.

Adding templates, class levels, or sound strategies are a much better way to "surprise" your players, without breaking suspension of disbelief. Avoid stacking too many templates.

Failing that, you can always homebrew your own monster (or use some from the homebrew section), use another monster manual, or just describe a monster as something different (i.e. use the "ogre" block, and just say it is an extraordinarily large orc, and you're set)
Of Course it was sarcasm.

Anyway, Situations are your best bet here, Twelve kobolds in an empty hall is a piece of cake. Those same kobolds, with crossbows firing out of arrow slits with ballistas, down a slope at some adventurers is much different.