PDA

View Full Version : Need help with installation

Oregano
2008-07-07, 04:30 PM
I've been trying all day to install Windows Live on my laptop but it gets to the installation page then doesn't install, it says it's can't.

I've tried changing the firewall settings and security but that doesn't seem to work, and microsoft obviously don't know their own systems because they keep saying click things that aren't there on the help files.

I've even tried manually copying the files from my pc and that doesn't seem to work.

Has anyone got any idea what it is, I can download of other websites, I downloaded Inkscape and Paint.NET before.

Thanks in advance.

B-Man
2008-07-07, 04:36 PM
What version of Windows do you have? If you have Windows XP, what Service Pack do you have installed on it?

IIRC, Windows Live programs require having Win XP with Service Pack 2 as a minimum requirement.

Oregano
2008-07-07, 04:40 PM
Nope, I have Vista, which means it should definately work.

CultDoctor
2008-07-07, 05:02 PM
I had this on my friend's laptop... check your free disk space, we realised she had something like 284MB free and it didn't like it (even though 284MB is probably enough to install Messenger, the system seems to like at least /some/ free space on the drive...)

Just a thought, but it sounds like you just got a new laptop and are installing stuff, so this probably isn't the problem. Worth a shot, though.

Oregano
2008-07-07, 05:05 PM
Doesn't seem to be that either because I have loads of free space, there's nothing other than few programs that i've saved on the laptop and it is indeed new.

Lorn
2008-07-07, 05:05 PM
Try installing it to a different directory - Vista has lots of annoying new rules in effect involving partially cordoning off the Program Files directory.

Failing that, the OTT option.

Start. In the Search box, type CMD.

One program (CMD/Command Prompt) should come up. Right-click, run as administrator.

Type in:

net user administrator /active:yes

Press Enter.

Close the Command Prompt window.

Log off, and there should be a new user account called Administrator. Log on to this. Go into Computer>Local Disk [whatever drive it is]>Users>your normal user folder.

Find where you downloaded the .exe installer to. Open it.

Run it.

Vista should not block it.

To get rid of the Admin account, open command prompt as before on the original desktop. Type in:

net user adminstrator /active:no

and press Enter.

Basically, Vista ships with a god-account created but not active. Enable it and the entire computer is at your disposal. Note: It will NOT show User Account Control messages on it, if you're used to it. You will also be able to access any file (even on other people's passworded accounts) and write to any folder (including program files, yay).

Oregano
2008-07-07, 05:08 PM
I'll try that then, thanks although it's installed on my pc which is vista strange, thank you, I'll get back with the results.

EDIT:No, it still hasn't worked.:smallannoyed:

Maybe it's a problem with their system.

Oregano
2008-07-07, 06:33 PM
Apologies for the double post but I found a way to download it, but now I can't log off. It's giving me error codes 80048820 and 80048412. I'm going to search them now but if anyone else knows anything please tell.

EDIT: I believe it's because the time and date are wrong, but they're not, however it can't synchronise with the internet is that the problem?

EDIT 2:I can't log on. That was silly of me.

Lorn
2008-07-08, 06:45 AM
You can't log off MSN or the user account?

If it's an MSN problem, have you tried right-click>exit on the icon in the system tray? (Far right of the taskbar, assuming yours is still at the bottom).

Oregano
2008-07-08, 06:46 AM
I meant log on, that was a daft mistake, anyway it is the time problem and my laptop won't sync with the internet so I think it's definately that. So it's just getting it to sync now that's the problem.

EDIT: It still won't sync with internet time even if I turn off all my security and try it.:smallfrown:

Solved it, my laptop's date was set to 2007 but everything else was right and that's also the reason it wouldn't sync with internet time. I probably should have checked that first.:smalltongue:

Anyway, problem solved. Thanks for the help everyone.