PDA

View Full Version : 4E Hack&Slash game; Wizard Build help required!

Grey Paladin
2008-07-07, 05:08 PM
As a change of pace our group has decided to try 4E, as we looked over the system and arrived to the conclusion we couldn't really take it seriously and roleplay within it we've also discovered something else: when played as the tactical turn based equivalent of Diablo the game's a lot of fun.

Point Buy: 35, all ability scores start at 8.
Starting level: 1
Starting wealth: 500
Sources allowed: Everything published.
Conjuration Errata: No.

The rest of the party looks like this:
A polearm using BDF who focuses on acting as a wall between the enemy and the rest of the party
A Warlock focused on blasting single targets for heavy damage
An inspiration Warlord who acts as a secondary melee guy.
A melee TWF ranger.

This is my character for the game, any advice is appreciated.

Class: Wizard 1

Strength: 8
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 12
Intellgience: 20
Wisdom: 14
Charisma: 12 (Spell focus)

Flaws:

Feats:
Initiate of Faith
Action Surge

HP: 22
Healing Surges: 7
Healing Surge Value: 5
Action Points: 1/1

BAB: 0

AC: 15
Fortitude: 12
Reflex: 16
Will: 15

Skills:

Arcana (5+5), History (5+5), Insight (5+2), Diplomacy (5+1), Nature (5+2), Religion (5+5)

Abilities:

-Ritual Casting

-Orb Focus:
Free action
Once per encounter target creature takes a save penalty equal to WIS mod versus ongoing effect
OR
Once per encounter target ongoing effect lasts 1 round longer

-Cantrips
Ghost Sounds
Light
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation

-Rituals
Make Whole
Comperhend Language
Tenser's Floating Disk

-Powers:

At Will:
Ray of Frost
Scorching Burst
Illusionary Ambush

Encounter:
Grasping Shadows (Reduced to 1D8+INT psychic damage)

Daily:
Sleep*

Flaming Sphere

1/Day multiclass:
Healing Word

Racial:
Bonus Feat
Bonus Skill
+1 to Reflex; Fortitude; Will
Bonus at will power

Equipment:
9 GP
PotionX2
Standard Adventurer's Kit
Orb +1
Arcane Ritual Thingy (20 gp)

Colmarr
2008-07-07, 06:01 PM
Strength: 8
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 12
Intellgience: 20
Wisdom: 14
Charisma: 12 (Spell focus)

These ability scores don't seem right, even for your "35 point buy"). I don't have my books in front of me but you have 0 + 0 + 2 + ? + 5 + 2. I'm not sure what an 18 costs (I assume the Int 20 is 18 +2 racial) but I'm pretty sure it's not 26 points.

And what do you mean by "(Spell focus)"?

Fortitude: 12

Fort should be 11: 10 + 1 (human). Neither your Str nor your Dex are high enough to add an ability bonus.

Healing Surge Value: 6

IIRC healing surge is 1/4 of your max hp rounded down. So with 22 hp, your healing surge value is 5.

Grey Paladin
2008-07-07, 06:12 PM
I've forgotten to mention that all ability scores start at 8.

Spell Focus, the Paragon feat, is my explanation for taking Charisma above 8.

Isn't Fortitude CON or STR mod, not CON or DEX?

The healing surge value is a left-over from when I had taken Toughness, thanks for the correction.

Colmarr
2008-07-07, 07:30 PM
Isn't Fortitude CON or STR mod, not CON or DEX?

Right you are. You fooled me by listing the abilities in 3e order (S, D, C) rather than 4e order (S, C, D) :smallsmile:

How embarrassing. I even typed the word "Dex" and didn't catch on to the mistake I was making... :smalleek:

Grey Paladin
2008-07-08, 06:36 AM
Ah, the common order was changed so there are three adjacent pairs of stats, with each contributing to the same saves? didn't know that, thanks!

Any advice on the build itself? I have only played 4E once before, as a Rogue, so this build is composed entirely of guesses.

wodan46
2008-07-08, 08:52 AM
I see you went for the 1 At-Will for each defense type build. However, you have a decent enough Wis mod to be able to do things like Thunderwave and Wall of Daggers. Either build has its uses.

Also, why did you take cleric multiclass? Once you get more levels in, Fighter is better at self heals, and Warlord is competent at healing allies, especially once you get utilities from them.

Chibiqueso
2008-07-08, 09:28 AM
I get the feeling that he snagged cleric multiclass for the Divine Oracle paragon path.

Grey Paladin
2008-07-08, 09:33 AM
Everyone seem to really like Thunderwave though I do not get why, could anyone explain me the reason why pushing foes in close range (where Wizards do not wish to be found, or at least that was the way it was in previous editions) is useful?

I was considering replacing Burst with Cloud, thoughts?

The Cleric multiclass is there so I can later take the Divine Oracle paragon path, never being surprised, rolling twice versus Will and choosing the higher result, and getting to declare a single attack an automatical critical once per an encounter all seem really useful to me, far more useful than the Wizard paragon paths.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Chibiqueso
2008-07-08, 09:36 AM
Thunderwave is nice because it is a close blast (and does not provoke OAs) And also because assuming enemies never get close is a horrible, horrible thing.

wodan46
2008-07-08, 10:44 AM
You don't take thunderwave because you want enemies to get close. You get it so that you can push them back when they do, and do so without triggering the AoOs that your squishy Wizard fears so much.

Ideally, you should maintain a certain distance behind a fighter so that when you can thunderwave enemies that get by the fighter right back too him, so that he can use his uber AoOs on the poor suckers.