PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Have fun my little sorcerer friend

DareTheRogue
2008-07-07, 07:23 PM
I am looking for feats, not trying to break anything, just feats. my level progression looks a bit like this:
Sorcerer 1-6
Elemental Savant 1-10
Sorcerer 7-10

I plan on taking Empower Spell at 3rd level and Energy Substitution at 6th, but what other feats should I look at. Going with the idea of an elemental caster person I found Elemental Spellcasting (Air) in the planar handbook and also Air Heritage in the same, which both might be good somewhere. I am Human so 2 feats to start, and I think Elemental Spellcasting will be one, what else?

Jade_Tarem
2008-07-07, 07:26 PM
If you really want to go nuts with elemental stuff, energy admixture and twin spell, and maybe explosive spell too.

DareTheRogue
2008-07-07, 07:35 PM
Does anyone have full charts for Improved Familiar?
I may try to pick up a Shocker Lizard or small Air Elemental or the such...

Fizban
2008-07-07, 07:52 PM
If you do get a familiar, pick up the spell Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability, in one of the arcane magic splatbooks. Just like the cleric spell, but for your familiar: effectively doubles your spell output, and metamagic doesn't count towards the level of the spells you put in (though it will cost you higher slots).

I'd also suggest picking up the second Planar Sorcerer Substitution Level (from the Planar Handbook), to substitute half force damage in place of energy when you need to: limiting your self to one energy isn't always the best idea.

Feat-wise: what element are you choosing? For fire, pick up Scorching Heat from Sandburn, for water/cold get Piercing Cold from Frostburn. Metamagic feats that cost a couple levels, but you'll be able to ignore energy resistance and still get half damage against immunity with your energy.

Just read that you're going with air. In that case, look up the feats I just crossed out, and request a homebrew version for electricity. I'd also look up the Winterhaunt of Ibhorgu (blah spelling) in Frostburn, and see if you can't get a similar constant piercing ability.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-07-07, 10:33 PM
Why Sorc 7-10? That gives you nothing. At least take Fatespinner or the like. Any full casting PrC is better than more Sorc levels, especially if you can convince your DM to give you fractional BaB/Saves.

GrandMasterMe
2008-07-08, 08:05 PM
Take draconic heritige followed by draconic breath. If you are going elemental savant then you can have your breath correlate with your element and as a supernatural ability you dont have to worry about Spell Resistance from your enemies:smallbiggrin:. Additionaly with the breath weapon you can now focus your already limited spell list on spells other than damage dealing spells since you have your great breath weapon:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2008-07-08, 08:15 PM
If you can convince your DM to let you have one, take one of the Dragon Compendium Bloodline feats. They add directly to your spells known, at the cost of reducing your class spell list slightly. I've fond of Penumbra, personally.

_Zoot_
2008-07-09, 02:42 AM
I second the call for the draconic heritige line of thinking, most of those are really good:smallsmile:

Leon
2008-07-09, 09:50 AM
Not a Feat but...
1st Level of Storm Caster PrC gives Storm Spell Power - +2 CL to all Air, Water, Sonic and Electric Spells

The reserve feats: Borne Aloft and Storm Bolt bear mention for Boosting CL in respective Spell types in addition to the reserve affect

DareTheRogue
2008-07-09, 02:02 PM
Well the Savant PrC got tossed, my DM dislikes it... And he want me to play a skill-monkey now, we have a wizard apparently... so we compromise and I am going to Multi Rogue/Sorc. the idea right now is: (For Paragon or PrC you have to take all levels consecutively.)
1 Rogue 1
2 Sorc 1
3-5 Human Paragon 1-3
6-15 Unseen Seer 1-10
16-20 ________ (We aren't expecting past level 14-15)

He tossed Heritage if I take Paragon, which in his point buy to Multi I am going to need the Ability bonus and the Feat, not to mention it get Spellcasting progression and 4+Int skill points and the human bonus skill, add one skill perm to your skill list, and a martial weap prof.

I look at losing 2 CL pleasing my DM, playing around with the party as I slowly drop into Evil around lvl 10 and giving everyone something to think about. but I have to consider my feat selection, and they have to be relevant to the character at that time, for roleplaying reasons. So as a rogue at level one I believe I am going to take Weapon Finesse and Two-Weapon Fighting (it may be gimpy but I always find fighting with a Rapier and Kukri rather funny). At 3 I was planning on taking Draconic Heritage, but it doesn't line up for my DM, cause I am more human then normal but I also have so latent bloodline trickling in... If I can talk him into the Heritage I am going to take Blue Draconic Heritage (Dragon Magic), Draconic Sense (Dragon Magic) and Draconic Vigor/Draconic Toughness. That will give me Darkvision 60ft, Blinsense 20ft, low-light vision, I will be able to trade spells for orbs of Elec that i can SA with and hit multiple targets with in one round, and either 8 extra hp or healing as I cast spells. Later on pick up Imp-Two-Weap Fighting. I don't have Dragon Compendium so I can't look at it for any references atm.

Stupendous_Man
2008-07-20, 01:45 PM
isn't there a sorcerer guide on wotc forums? those things tend to cover feat selection really well