PDA

View Full Version : Critique my 4e cleric

Colmarr
2008-07-07, 07:56 PM
We're about to start a new 4e campaign based in the forgotten realms (Dalelands to be specific), and I've decided to go with a melee cleric. The rest of the group will be fighter (dwarf), wizard and likely warlock.

Race: Human
This is a personal choice. I know that human isn't the best race for clerics, but the character I envisioned was a human, so this build is for a human.

Ability Scores: Str 18 Con 12 Dex 13 Int 8 Wis 14 Cha 13
Strength 18 is an obvious choice for a melee cleric.

Con 12 is good for the extra hp and healing surge, but is there mainly so that the character automatically qualifies for Armour proficiency (scale) at level 11.

Dex 13 would ordinarily be a little odd but in this case paves the way for Blade Opportunist, Heavy Blade Opportunist, and Heavy Blade Mastery as the character progresses.

Wis 14 is there so that the human bonus at-will is not completely useless until WotC comes up with another Cleric Str at-will, but also because of the bonus to heals.

Defences: AC 17, Fort 15, Ref 13, Fort 15

HP: 24, bloodied 12. Healing surges 8/day; 6 hp

Skills: Diplomacy +6, Heal +7, History +4, Insight +7, Religion +4

Feats: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), Shield Proficiency (Light)
The character is intended as a cleric of the FR battle deity (which I assume will be Tempus). As such he needs to wield a sword, and if you're going to take a feat to wield a sword it might as well be the biggest one you can get.

The shield proficiency is there because the character will be one of only 2 meleers in our group, so he needs his AC to be respectable. The fact that it also helps his lowest defence is just dandy.

At-will powers: Righteous Brand, Priest's Shield, Sacred Flame.
Righteous Brand and Priest's shield are obvious picks for a melee cleric. I went with Sacred Flame over Lance of Faith because I'll be sticking to my melee powers unless an "emergency" arises. The temporary hp and save from Sacred Flame seem to me more likely to help in an emergency, especially if I save my action point so that I can try twice to get the effect I want.

Encounter power: Healing Strike
I'm the only healer in the group and I'm not sure 2 healing words will be enough. The ability to toss in an extra healing surge on top of bonus damage fits neatly with the role this character needs to play.

Daily power: Avenging Flame
It's a strength-based power that causes ongoing damage unless the enemy stops attacking for a round or more. What's not to like?

Comments?

Pinnacle
2008-07-07, 08:06 PM
Allow me to answer the easy part, as I don't have my book on me. :smallwink:

EDIT: Ok, how do I do spoiler blocks on this forum?

'Fraid you can't title the blocks here.

Colmarr
2008-07-07, 08:07 PM
Thanks Pinnacle :smallsmile:

mikeejimbo
2008-07-07, 08:14 PM
At first glance I thought your Wisdom was a bit low, but I suppose if you're mostly taking Strength-based Powers it's fine. Heck, my cleric's Wisdom is only 2 higher than that.

Other than that, I like it. It's similar to my cleric build, except I'm a dwarf.

Out of curiosity, which deity?

Colmarr
2008-07-07, 08:31 PM
Out of curiosity, which deity?

At the moment, without seeing the FR player's guide and knowing next to nothing about FR, he is a cleric of Kord. Once FR is released, he will become a cleric of the god of "Battle" or "Strength". The former is probably Tempus, but I have no idea who the latter will be.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-07, 08:33 PM
Hopefully it will include Deity-specific Channel Divinity feats like in the PHB, except for the FR gods. Sadly, my god's Channel Divinity feat is only situationally useful. (Moradin, you get a bonus against Large or larger creatures. I may pick it up later, but so far we've only fought small creatures.)

Colmarr
2008-07-07, 09:19 PM
I'm almost certain that it will include FR-specific Channel Divinity feats.

The D&DXP pre-gen cleric was a cleric of Amanautor (a FR deity) and had a channel divinity feat that isn't in the PHB. I consider that strong evidence :smallsmile:

TheEmerged
2008-07-07, 09:38 PM
RE: Sacred Flame. Don't underestimate its ability to give a friendly player a free save. While running the Kobold Hold scenario from the DMG, for example, I found it almost nullified the Kobold Slinger's Glueshot ability.

Vortling
2008-07-07, 09:54 PM
What are you using that 13 cha for?

Colmarr
2008-07-07, 10:10 PM
RE: Sacred Flame. Don't underestimate its ability to give a friendly player a free save. While running the Kobold Hold scenario from the DMG, for example, I found it almost nullified the Kobold Slinger's Glueshot ability.

I agree entirely (and that's why I picked it over Lance of Faith), but with only +2 to attack I'm not sure it will hit reliably enough to make it a mainstay of my arsenal.

Colmarr
2008-07-07, 10:13 PM
What are you using that 13 cha for?

Mostly for the skill challenge implications (trained diplomacy and a +2 ability bonus at 4th level), but there are some later cleric powers that add Cha bonus to their effects (usually, if not always, healing-related).

But that's a very relevant question. Those 3 points might be better spent elsewhere. Despite what the battle cleric writeup says, Charisma seems relatively useless in the grand scheme of things.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-07, 10:41 PM
I'm almost certain that it will include FR-specific Channel Divinity feats.

The D&DXP pre-gen cleric was a cleric of Amanautor (a FR deity) and had a channel divinity feat that isn't in the PHB. I consider that strong evidence :smallsmile:

Awesome.

I also think that they need Channel Divinity feats for Evil gods. For NPCs, naturally. :smallredface:

Vortling
2008-07-07, 11:26 PM
Mostly for the skill challenge implications (trained diplomacy and a +2 ability bonus at 4th level), but there are some later cleric powers that add Cha bonus to their effects (usually, if not always, healing-related).

But that's a very relevant question. Those 3 points might be better spent elsewhere. Despite what the battle cleric writeup says, Charisma seems relatively useless in the grand scheme of things.

Which is why I asked. Cha boosts the same defense as Wis and your Wis adds to all healing powers. The other powers that get a boost from Cha are either better for laser clerics or simply not worth the investment when it makes you that MAD. As for diplomacy, you can pick up skill focus. Clerics tend to have an extra feat here or there.

Colmarr
2008-07-07, 11:30 PM
Clerics tend to have an extra feat here or there.

Funny you should say that. This particular character is already running short of feat spots (especially in heroic). In order to take Skill Focus (Diplomacy), I'd need to avoid Human Perseverance. I'm seriously weighing the benefits there, and at the end of the day it might come down to a "character flavour" decision, because the potential mechanical benefits of each seem pretty equivalent to me.

But you've given me food for thought. Thanks.