PDA

View Full Version : I almost got hit by lightning!

Zakama
2008-07-07, 08:27 PM
Yep. I was in the backyard with some peeps, and a bolt of lightning struck right above our heads. It was pretty intense. Anyone else in spoooky Wisconsin getting storms?

SweetLikeLemons
2008-07-07, 08:31 PM
Wow, I'm glad to hear you're ok. We definitely like you better not crispy-fried.

Ego Slayer
2008-07-07, 08:35 PM
Wow, I'm glad to hear you're ok. We definitely like you better not crispy-fried.
The question is, though, would he be better crispy-fried. :smallamused:

*dunks Zak in awesomesauce, munches*

No srsly... very good that you're okay. o.o'

TRM
2008-07-07, 08:43 PM
Firstly: it's good that you're okay!

Secondly: after your post I went and checked the radar, and there's this lovely line of storms going almost all the way across the USA both East-West and Norht-South. It looks pree-ty intense.

Zakama
2008-07-07, 08:44 PM
Firstly: it's good that you're okay!

Secondly: after your post I went and checked the radar, and there's this lovely line of storms going almost all the way across the USA both East-West and Norht-South. It looks pree-ty intense.

Yeeeep. I saw that too. I was (not sure if I still am) in the red blotch in Wisconsin.

RTGoodman
2008-07-07, 08:50 PM
Well, I'm nowhere near Wisconsin, but we've had some bad storms over the last few days with lightning striking all around. None that close, though. Of course, with our drought conditions, we don't really care about lightning as long as we get some rain!

(Fun story: One of my grandma's friends that lives nearby has been hit by lightning like 3 or 4 times in her life and survived all of them with barely an injury. :smalleek: I'm certainly not standing near her during a storm! :smalltongue:)

Zakama
2008-07-07, 08:57 PM
(Fun story: One of my grandma's friends that lives nearby has been hit by lightning like 3 or 4 times in her life and survived all of them with barely an injury. :smalleek: I'm certainly not standing near her during a storm! :smalltongue:)

No...

That's like, a record! :smalleek:

Don Julio Anejo
2008-07-07, 09:03 PM
As far as I know, people rarely get seriously hurt from lightning strikes. Mostly either superficial burns (well, they probably hurt a lot but they won't kill you) or heart attacks.

The Linker
2008-07-07, 09:19 PM
No...

That's like, a record! :smalleek:

Heh. May I introduce you to a Mr. Roy Sullivan! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Sullivan) :smalltongue:

Phase
2008-07-07, 09:25 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen.

Collin152
2008-07-07, 09:39 PM
Heh. May I introduce you to a Mr. Roy Sullivan! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Sullivan) :smalltongue:

Man gets hit by lightning seven times... and he dies by suicide.
Well, Suicide is Painless, unlike lightning.
And I can take or leave it if I please.

wxdruid
2008-07-07, 09:44 PM
Hm, almost hit by lightning...did your hair stand on end?

We had a lovely thunderstorm this morning. I quite enjoyed it since I wasn't at work and I could watch it.

Pyro
2008-07-07, 09:50 PM
I had an electrical storm a few hours ago and the lightning was pretty intense too. I was standing outside for the beginning, watching it arch down in the distance. Then I went inside because it actually started getting a little scary. Seriously, thunder was booming constantly.

Zakama
2008-07-07, 11:59 PM
Hm, almost hit by lightning...did you hair stand on end?

Well... No, it wasn't close enough for that.

Shooobs
2008-07-08, 02:01 AM
Yeah that was really cool! I was there too and Zak can back me up! :smallcool:

Zakama
2008-07-08, 02:02 AM
Yep, he was.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-08, 02:06 AM
Well, not in Wisconsin. The Netherlands here.
Got some close hits though. In the past week I've had more then eight hits within 500 meters.

Player_Zero
2008-07-08, 02:07 AM
People are actually very unlikely to get hit by lightning... I suppose that guy who was hit seven times must've walked around with a weather vane on his head on a golf course every time there was a storm...

Also, lightning strikes upwards as well as downwards.

@\/ Not so sure about the science behind being hit twice, there... I don't think it would make sense.

Serpentine
2008-07-08, 03:31 AM
I seem to recall hearing something to the effect that if you get struck by lightning once, you're more likely to get hit again or somesuch. That poor bastard...

My sister's boyfriend's parents had a horse called Frosty in their field, and borrowed/looked after a friend's to keep it company. This campanion horse got struck by lightning - they had to bring in a bulldozer to bury it there - and Frosty spent several days shivering in the corner.

Charity
2008-07-08, 05:35 AM
Damnit missed again.

Jack Squat
2008-07-08, 06:44 PM
I seem to recall hearing something to the effect that if you get struck by lightning once, you're more likely to get hit again or somesuch. That poor bastard...

I've heard that as well...could explain why Mr. Sullivan felt that cloud on his sixth strike was following him...it may have been.

My parents know someone who had been struck 4 times, I never met him though.

RandomNPC
2008-07-09, 09:32 PM
my dad was telling me recently that one day he pulled up to a stop sign and it got hit by lightning.

a while back i woke up to a bright flash outside my window and a loud boom. my left arm felt funny and i couldn't feel my watch sitting on my wrist. Haven't slept with a watch on since.