PDA

View Full Version : What was the most interesting PC you've ever seen?

JMobius
2008-07-07, 09:14 PM
Title, particularly in an RP sense. Looking for some inspiration. :)

The New Bruceski
2008-07-07, 09:24 PM
I recall discussing with friends playing the guy from Quantum Leap (constantly talking to thin air and out of his element) or The Doctor (Broken TARDIS and forced to go native, would be some sort of Wizard with flavored spells). I can't recall if either of those actually saw airtime.

shadow_archmagi
2008-07-07, 09:36 PM
I recall discussing with friends playing the guy from Quantum Leap (constantly talking to thin air and out of his element) or The Doctor (Broken TARDIS and forced to go native, would be some sort of Wizard with flavored spells). I can't recall if either of those actually saw airtime.

I actually had a Artificer that tried to BUILD a TARDIS.

A shrunk-down Magic Quiver+Shrunk Wands+Permanent Silent Image= Small item which can do absolutely anything=Sonic Screwdriver.

expirement10K14
2008-07-07, 09:41 PM
A believe his build was a Halfling bard 4/Barbarian 10/Sorcerer 6(core only).

His background was that he was a tribal warrior that loved music, and began to develop magical abilities as he went adventuring. He rode around on a half-dragon riding dog (don't ask how this occurred) and roleplayed his character as an eccentric that always wanted to be the center of attention, but hid it well. It was played in a really good manner.

TheEmerged
2008-07-07, 09:44 PM
This is mechanical not RP but...

During our last HERO system campaign (the players were supervillains), one of the characters took the Summoner Geeks video and built a character around it.

No, I'm not kidding. He cast Magic Missiles into the darkness. And it *worked*, bizarre as it sounds.

Don the Bastard
2008-07-07, 10:17 PM
The first is two pc's really, it was two people playing the heads of an Ettin, one was a sorcerer and the other a barbarian, they shared physical stats but had unique mental stats... much hilarity ensued.

Most interesting single PC, 6th level blind gnome sorcerer build, the DM ruled that being blind was such a drawback he gave her 3 additional feats, she took Blindfight(obviously), Skill focus: Listen & Eschew Materials, then used clairvoyance whenever we were in battle.

We have some pretty unique characters in our game as you may have guessed.

thereaper
2008-07-08, 01:27 AM
Weeeeelllllllll...

Despite the huge amount of stuff I read about D&D, I've only played in one actual campaign, and we're still at first level (it's over the internet, so it moves really slowly). That said, here's our party:

A LE Half-Elf Beguiler who is a lawyer and wants to kill stuff.

A CN Half-Elf Rogue who can't seem to make stealth checks to save her life (the dice hate her).

A TN Human Bard who plays a kazoo (it was my suggestion, inspired by Oots), and is a bit, shall we say, promiscuous... Not to mention makes a lot of dirty jokes that are hilarious (and I'm not usually the type who enjoys those). It's especially funny considering the player is nothing like that.

A NG Human Cleric of Pelor raised by Dwarves who is constantly drunk. He is currently the best at melee damage-dealing by a slight margin (remember, we're at first level here).

A NG Halfling Druid with a Dire Fox for an animal companion who constantly breaks the fourth wall (either that, or is schizophrenic, whichever explanation one prefers :smallwink: ).

And finally, my character, a CN half-orc Barbarian named Gragh Zanbagh who thinks he is a zombie. He is heavily inspired by zombie movies and a particular browser-based MMORPG called Urban Dead. He is part of the church of Barhah, which worships Zambah G-Zaz. He only speaks in Death Rattle. His weapons are two claw gauntlets (damage isn't so great, but thanks to Steadfast Determination he has higher will saves than anyone in the party except the Cleric). The dice hate him whenever he gets into a fight. However, despite his complete lack of intellect and skills, his bumbling style of searching (also known as ransacking) and pushing stuff around has caused him to solve more puzzles than anyone else in the party so far (we joke that he and the rogue should switch party roles, since he can't seem to hit anything and she can't seem to sneak). There's a lot more to him (such as bananas :smallwink:), but I'll bet 99.9999% of the people on this forum have no clue what Urban Dead is, and therefore will not get any of it (for that one other person who does, I'll bet you can imagine what he's like, and are probably laughing your butt off right now :smallbiggrin:).

So, yeah, those are the most interesting characters I've seen in play.

Crazy Scot
2008-07-08, 02:14 AM
One of my favorite characters that I have played is in a Rifts campaign I am currently running. I am playing a dragon hatchling with some nice powers (definitely more powerful than most of the other characters), but since I prefer ROLEplaying over ROLLplaying, the GM allowed the character. Basically, dragon hatchlings are large creatures with some fun abilities, but with the mental maturity of a 5-7 year old kid...ooh look, a penny! So he is easily distracted, overconfident with his abilities, enjoys exploring and discovering new things, and just having fun. This in and of itself I would consider to be a fun character, but then we gave the character an even more fun backstory. Long story short...to tie the dragon into the group, we said that it got a mental connection with the dying memories of an older member of the group. So basically, he now has a second set of memories residing in the same body. The problem is that the other set of memories are of a 12-14 year old girl (the sister of the old dying character), who was attacked/assaulted by the people of the town they were growing up in. So I have a character who has a split personality. One side is an immature boy who loves "playing" and exploring and thinks they are fun, and the other side is a socially/mentally stunted girl who attributes "playing" with pain and suffering. All wrapped up in the body of a young dragon. It is twisted, provides many great ROLEplaying opportunities, and is a definite departure from any other characters I have ever played.

Ravyn
2008-07-08, 02:52 AM
Most of the interesting PCs I've seen--or played, for that matter, have been in Exalted games.

My favorite to run for went by Luath. As one of his teammates puts it: "The Twilight: Power of a god, attention span of a two-year-old." It's not entirely accurate, but sometimes you have to wonder. He doesn't believe in evil--which means he'll look for redeeming qualities in anyone. Including the skin-changer who ate the head shaman of the village the group is visiting, and that undead Creator who's possessing one of his friends. On the plus side, he crafts things well, throws things better, and cooks well enough to make gods stop what they're doing to try to get a bite or two.

My most interesting was probably Tuyet. Delicate, weak, very ice-themed, and fond of perforating her enemies with chakram, she had started out as a rather firmly blackmailed spy whose main interesting characteristic was a gift for snarking her enemies into incompetence. And then... well, there was something that really shouldn't've fit in her head in her head, and then she chewed out a couple armies (and recruited at least one of them), and there was that mess with the war... and by the time it was over, she was an inspirational figure, in charge of a country, and rather thoroughly addicted to "stupid heroics" (usually seemingly suicidal stunts with a calculated ulterior motive, though after a while she just plain went adrenaline junkie), before replacing that with a tendency to go through large amounts of tea when stressed.

Glawackus
2008-07-08, 06:23 AM
I actually had a Artificer that tried to BUILD a TARDIS.

A shrunk-down Magic Quiver+Shrunk Wands+Permanent Silent Image= Small item which can do absolutely anything=Sonic Screwdriver.

Oh my God, this is the best idea ever. I am going to find a kindly DM someday and do this. :smallbiggrin:

potatocubed
2008-07-08, 07:16 AM
In D&D, it's a toss-up between the transgender werewolf assassin, the psychic kobold who wandered around in oversize plate armour like a mech, and the rogue modelled on P.T. Barnum who claimed he was a wizard and made extensive use of UMD and Sleight of Hand to persuade people of this.

Ellisthion
2008-07-08, 07:59 AM
In a game I ran:

An Urban Ranger/Bard/Dragon Disciple. Woodcutter by trade, and he would cut wood. He would also sing songs at the tavern, chat to the barkeep, associate with and get into trouble with the guard, and try to not die. By the end of the game he had a hellhound for an animal companion, had fallen in love with, and vice versa, a female member of the guard, and had discovered his grandfather was a silver dragon. Oh, and narrowly avoided destroying the whole city.

Good times.

kladams707
2008-07-08, 08:21 AM
My most interesting character that I played is a gnome illusionist (2nd ed. D&D). Unfortunately, that game didn't last long enogh so I could get me familiar (I was going to try and get a cat so I could name him "The Lord"). His personality was one in that he believed that what we perceive is not necessarily real and that perspective is what matters.

Example: If he were to meet you, and then you leave out of his sight, he would not admit to your existence, but merely to your possibility of existing, as well as admitting you might be a delusion. Another example: Say it's raining, and you don't have a coat. Seeking shelter, you find the gnome's house and knock. The door opens and you see the gnome next to small fire. He turns and says "Are you wet?" Naturally, one would say "Of course we're wet, what does it look like?" To which he would reply "It looks like you're wet. But you may feel differently about it. If you find that warmth make you dry, then come in."

While it was never played, we had a player come up w/ a concept (but never drew it up or anything) of a Half-Dragon, Half-Giant hermaphrodite seducer.

Chineselegolas
2008-07-08, 08:42 AM
For that one other person who does, I'll bet you can imagine what he's like, and are probably laughing your butt off right now :smallbiggrin:
I most certainly am. Har har har. GANGBANG HAMBARGAHS!

Best concept I saw was in a thread around here somewhere... Worst DM or something like that.
Anyhow the character concept was the character had an illness that he had to make a potion for him to drink some of every day or he would get sicker.

In person the best I've seen was a half-orc with stats of 20/16/10/6/8/6
Real idiot. But clever too. The player figured out everything that was going on then had his orc describe it. The way he did it make it look so simple the way he solved it was so dislogically logical that the wizard with 18 int did whatever the half-orc said...

Epinephrine
2008-07-08, 09:31 AM
We played a GURPS campaign in which a player was a dwarven sapper/artilleryman who was always checking things out, planning for contingencies and so on. You never knew what he was going to do, he passed a lot of notes to the GM, often without any visible effect, but sometimes he'd act on them.

While the rest of the party were role-playing in the tavern, he'd be off doing stuff. Then every now and then it would pay off. At night we woke and the little town was being invaded across a bridge we had used to cross the river into town. The dwarf ran off, and a minute later there was a loud bang, a huge ball of flame, and the bridge (along with most of the invaders) was gone - he had set black powder charges to demolish the bridge, "just in case". A paranoid/extremely cautious explosives expert is great fun to have around, and occasionally useful. And you listen to him when he says something like, "no matter what you hear, don't open this door," and walks off chuckling.

Chronicled
2008-07-08, 09:32 AM
Best concept I saw was in a thread around here somewhere... Worst DM or something like that.
Anyhow the character concept was the character had an illness that he had to make a potion for him to drink some of every day or he would get sicker.

Here's the link. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23784)

DylanAD
2008-07-08, 09:42 AM
The most interesting character I ever played was a Human Barbarian named Kragor.
While on some adventure, our party killed this tribe of kobolds. (Can't remember why, but then, do you ever need a reason to kill kobolds? :smallwink:) Their leader, a kobold sorceror tried to hide from us but we soon found him. Now, I wasn't really in the business of killing small unnarmed creatures, so I sort of befriended him and stuffed him in my backpack, from which he would occasionally fire off Magic Missiles.

Later we came across a puzzle that involved answering a riddle, which Kragor did, and that brought to "life" a small stone golem, which we took back to our castle (We used to squat in an abandoned castle. We had aspirations).

Everything was good until about level 9, when my DM got obsessed with Conan the Barbarian. He said it would be a great idea to multi-class into a rogue, so I could be a barbarian-thief just like Conan. He was kidding, but I did it anyway. That's when it all went downhill. Those two classes do not mix.
Eventually I became sick of what Kragor had become, so he took his share of the loot and opened up an establishment called the Inn of Embers with his kobold friend and pet golem. The inn ended up growing into quite an awesome town, while his former comrades suffered a grisly end at the hands of a lich :smallbiggrin:

Signmaker
2008-07-08, 09:52 AM
Looking back, I realize how Mary Sue she was, but I'll submit her anyway.

Lauren Clathus, Bard/Stormsinger/Ruathar/Seeker of the Song

She started off as a quiet little book worm with many ranks in knowledge skills, and 14 languages. Though she was exceptionally good at smoothing over negotiations (ended up with a Diplomacy check in the high thirties by pure coincidence, I only put it like 6 ranks), she never actually used it, preferring, as it seemed, to fire lightning bolts using the power of her voice. Though she was raised in diplomatic conditions, having followed her parents in expeditions through the Frostfell to converse with tribes, the Stormsingers allowed her to use her power in words for more...visual results.

She also liked to sculpt ice.

As for one that isn't by me... Draconic Catfolk Battle Sorcerer named Angelis. Quite a showy sorcerer, what with the Arcane Fusioned Wings of Flurry + Other spell. He ended up being the one that took over negotiations since Lauren didn't prefer doing so.

Zanatos777
2008-07-08, 10:20 AM
One of the best characters I ever saw was my friend's "paladin", Thane. He was actually a barbarian but he thought he was a paladin of Heironeous, which he always mispronounced as Heronus. On his character sheet he actually did things like list power attack as smite and rage as paladin skills. He constantly yelled "PALADIN" and "HERONUS" in battle. He was also obsessed with being shinny and loved anyone who could help him achieve such, thus he loved my character the "Magic Elf-thingy".
Two other characters come to mind immediately as really neat. Soc was a healer. I know people hate this class but it was really awesome when paired with a ton of exalted feats including virtually all the vows. At one point three other party members started worshiping him as a god, which he put a stop to immediately to the enjoyment of all.
Bork is the last one. A gnome illusionist/master spec who felt that all his new spells needed to be tested. Unfortunately they often were tested on the party. The poor barbarian. Favorites included torrent of tears and phantasmal killer.

NEO|Phyte
2008-07-08, 10:44 AM
I'd like to think that Agdor Loathestone is pretty interesting as far as characters go, but I've yet to find a game I can run him in.

tl;dr version: Agdor is a dwarf. Agdor also REALLY REALLY hates the ground, so he one day decides to never walk upon it again. He now floats everywhere he goes.

The specifics vary based on whether I want Agdor to be a Good Guy or an Evil Guy, and also how I accomplish the floating trick (There's two ways that I'm aware of, one through Psionics (yay Elocater), the other through Tome of Battle (yay Shadow Hand). I suppose there's probably spells that could pull it off, but having an X duration spell just isn't the same as an ability thats always there all the time.)

mcv
2008-07-08, 10:58 AM
One of the most interesting characters I've seen is in my current GURPS Traveller campaign. It's a very traumatised ex-Scout with an impressive array of psionic abilities: clairvoyance, can see in the future, can see in the past, but it's all uncontrolled (the guy's a walking deus ex machina and plot device). Because of this, he's constantly talking to people from the future or the past, seeing things that aren't there (yet/anymore) and gives the impression of being seriously deranged. And when he touches an object, strong memories of from a former owner may give him temporary points in a skill to use that object.

Ofcourse most characters were all interesting in their own way, but I think this guy stands out. As for D&D characters of my own, ages ago I played a very manipulative gnome Thief/Illusionist who avoided all direct confrontation, and constantly manipulated everybody and everything around him, including our rivals into doing our work for us, up to the point where he broke our very first adventure.

kladams707
2008-07-08, 11:46 AM
Ones that aren't mine (and therefore more interesting):

Gurps -
Darth Vulgar - Punisher style medieval fighter

One shot Gurps game:
Matt 'Apples' Damon-
The guy who played him lowered his IQ to eight (thus a reference to Team America), but he had a good strength score (The whle compensation joke I guess). All he really said was "apples" (though he could say more) and he was found picking apples, therefore, his nickname. He was killed by a T800. My character convinced Apples that it would be better if my character (face altering superspy) to hold onto his money.

Junk (pronounced Yoonk) Pyle - a golem made from junk metal.

2e D&D high powered (homebrewed: 1d6 added to primary ability score, 1d6 added to any score, the 2nd could be split among the abilities)
Saul Tean -
Paladin who had few restrictions (DM's judgement was that he did stupid things, but nothing necessarily evil or unlawful). However, he did tell the elven queen to kneel before him, and then repeated 'I SAID KNEEL F....." before being transported out by his patron god. This resulted in a huge bounty on his head. A few games later, he tried to run away because my dwarf suggested we leave while the wizard was distracted by invsible fire that he though was burning him. However, before we get the chance the wizard casts burning hands and leaps on top of the pally, actually knocking him prone. Luckily, he didn't realize I was trying to leave w/ the pally. However, I thought "Ok, if we're going to be a cause of the pally's death, let's at least try and turn him in for the reward." So after a bit of infighting, we finally get the pally loaded up and sent on his way.

Vavaara
2008-07-08, 11:47 AM
A CN Half-Elf Rogue who can't seem to make stealth checks to save her life (the dice hate her).

"What's that sound?"

"Oh, look! Is that a tree hiding behind that rogue?"

Hmm... The most interesting one i've had to DM was a Half-Orc Barbarian 5/ Mystic Chef 7. Amazingly, he actually did more healing than the cleric because of the snacks he handed out before combat...

Eorran
2008-07-08, 12:48 PM
We had a whole group of high-powered characters with interesting quirks:
Shamus O'Rarrigan, the leprechaun bard who was convinced he was really a dragon, just polymorphed. Carried no weapons, and had two magic items: a hat that he could always reach into and pull out a cookie, and boots that cast Otto's Irresistable Dance on anyone he kicked. Shamus, being entirely useless in a conventional fight, spend most of his time looking for unconventional methods of combat. Mostly, I remember his war-cry; "Sha-shai, sha-shai!"
In the same group we had a vampire monk who believed that all his vampiric powers were special monk powers, and thought of himself as fully human.
We also had a pseudodragon with an inferiority complex ("I'm a REAL dragon!"), and a druid mummy.
Good times.

Silence
2008-07-08, 01:26 PM
It would have to be the paladin from this thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3309012#post3309012) (BTW, read that thread. NOW.)

He's slowly going insane, wears the all black armor of his slaughtered enemies, and has a giant spider as a paladin's mount.

PhallicWarrior
2008-07-08, 01:43 PM
My favorite character I've ever played was a Gestalt Maenad Wilder//Monk that I played in a 3.5 Dark Sun one shot. (Long sentance.) He was obsessed with fire after meeting a Pyrokineticist and wanted to become one. He actually saved the party by ignighting the animated wooden huts the bad guy sicced on us with a torch. I earned enough XP to level up, and qualified for the prestige class, so I fulfilled my goal by the end of the session.

By the way:

Hmm... The most interesting one i've had to DM was a Half-Orc Barbarian 5/ Mystic Chef 7. Amazingly, he actually did more healing than the cleric because of the snacks he handed out before combat...

Where on earth did you find a class like the Mystic Chef?

mikeejimbo
2008-07-08, 02:05 PM
I had a decent one in a GURPS Supers campaign. His Super-power was going to be super luck (Well, a bunch of luck-based advantages and such), but I decided to give him an Irish theme. Thereafter, I introduced his superpowers as being Super Irish.

He was also one of the more reluctant superheroes. The rest of his group had to remind him to be good. Once, when investigating a break-in at a convenience store, he tried to steal cigarettes, and then the money from the cash register, claiming that he was only opening the cash register to leave money for the cigarettes.

Vavaara
2008-07-08, 02:06 PM
Where on earth did you find a class like the Mystic Chef?

There's a homebrew class floating around of the same name, if i'm not mistaken, but I made this version especially for our campaign. The player loved it so much that her characters invariably started the requirement path for Mystic Chef whenever it was appropriate. There was one horror/Cthulu-esque campaign where her character took on a Yugoloth in single combat and subsequently prepared Deep-Fried Yugoloth Hamburgers (The bread was made from ingredients she kept in a bag of holding, since she always made everything fresh and stuck random ingredients she found or liked inside it.)

I plan on submitting my latest version (currently 3.0) to the PrC contest in Homebrew (That is, if it fits the theme...)

GrassyGnoll
2008-07-08, 03:51 PM
My favorite character I've ever played was a Gestalt Maenad Wilder//Monk that I played in a 3.5 Dark Sun one shot. (Long sentance.) He was obsessed with fire after meeting a Pyrokineticist and wanted to become one. He actually saved the party by ignighting the animated wooden huts the bad guy sicced on us with a torch. I earned enough XP to level up, and qualified for the prestige class, so I fulfilled my goal by the end of the session.

Me and a friend were thinking about something similar for a Dark Sun campaign. He wants to be a cool headed elan pyrokineticist while I play an irate, homicidal cyrokineticist. The logic being that when he kills people by freezing them the evidence would melt away, letting him do as he pleased.