PDA

View Full Version : 4e Paladin Multiclassing as Warlord eliminates a Cleric?

The Necroswanso
2008-07-08, 12:47 AM
So, in the current game I am playing in, I am paying as a paladin who is multiclassing as a warlord. The sheer damage capacity combined with an ungodly amount of healing (our Cleric will only be able to heal half as much as me), I have eliminated the need for a Cleric for half of our group.
As such, we're talking about functioning as two small groups of 3, rather than one group of 6, and the power therein is just nightmarishly erotic.

Anyway, anyone else notice how ungodly pwoerful such a build is? Feel free to post other builds you've made that just eliminate the need for other classes, without of course multiclassing as the class you're eliminating.

TheOOB
2008-07-08, 01:02 AM
Would you care to post this paladin/warlord build, I'd like to see it.

It should be noted that without healing/inspiring word usable 2-3 times per encounter, your group can run into quite a bit of trouble, that said, if any class can make up for missing a leader, it's the defender/leader multiclassing into a leader class.

Keep in mind that you didn't eliminate the need for a cleric(or any leader for that matter), you just covered their role, a cleric does a lot more then just heal, and while a group can defiantly pick up the slack of a missing member, you can never entirely replace them.

The Necroswanso
2008-07-08, 01:03 AM
That's true. We'd probably do poorly without our Cleric. Mostly what I eliminated was the need to focus our group into one tight area. Here's the build too: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=66036

EDIT: Note, I got REALLY lucky on the stat rolls.

Myshlaevsky
2008-07-08, 01:20 AM
Isn't Inspiring word a Daily when you multiclass?

The Necroswanso
2008-07-08, 01:22 AM
Yeah I've just failed to edit it in since I recalled it.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-07-08, 01:30 AM
Yeah, am I missing something, because im pretty sure you only have 3 heals per day. One from Inspiring Word, and two Lay on Hands (You can only lay on hands a number of times per day equal to your wis mod. My group went one full session before realizing that)?

The Necroswanso
2008-07-08, 01:33 AM
Wait, really? You are indeed correct. How did I miss that? (It's only our third session and most of us are still learning the game).

Wow, guess I'm not totaly putting the Cleric out. Rock on for catching that for me.

Myshlaevsky
2008-07-08, 01:35 AM
Yeah - it's still quite an effective multiclass though. Good synergy.

Mando Knight
2008-07-08, 06:20 AM
I just got my books yesterday... (blast, Amazon, you were out of stock for like a month!) however, even when we just had the previews, I had considered playing a Paladin/Warlord just for the Strength/Charisma synergy. Dragonborn Pala-Lord is rather attractive, synergy-wise...

wodan46
2008-07-08, 08:20 AM
Clerics heal an extra amount equal to their Wis Mod with every heal they drop ever. No other class is able to get the same amount of heal from a single healing surge.

Tormsskull
2008-07-08, 08:25 AM
Clerics heal an extra amount equal to their Wis Mod with every heal they drop ever. No other class is able to get the same amount of heal from a single healing surge.

Yup. Healer's Lore, an oft-forgotten ability of the Cleric. It turns 1d6 avg 3.5 into 1d6 + 3 or 4 avg 6.5 or 7.5, basically doubling your healing at low levels.

wodan46
2008-07-08, 11:14 AM
and since you can use healing word repeatedly outside of combat, all of the sudden the party has twice as much spare HP then they would without a cleric.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-08, 06:53 PM
Yup. Healer's Lore, an oft-forgotten ability of the Cleric. It turns 1d6 avg 3.5 into 1d6 + 3 or 4 avg 6.5 or 7.5, basically doubling your healing at low levels.

Wait, what?? I totally could have used that last session!

Tormsskull
2008-07-08, 06:57 PM
Wait, what?? I totally could have used that last session!

Yup, page 61 in the PHB. We totally missed it on our first time through too.

Gralamin
2008-07-08, 07:01 PM
Yup, page 61 in the PHB. We totally missed it on our first time through too.

This a common problem actually. I've seen many players completely miss abilities their characters possess because they aren't powers.

Antacid
2008-07-08, 07:02 PM
EDIT: Note, I got REALLY lucky on the stat rolls.I hope you realise that because of you, there's a wizard somewhere with an Intelligence of 6 :smalltongue:

TheOOB
2008-07-08, 09:20 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't shurikens dex based? You'd probally do much better with a heavy thrown weapon like a javelin or throwing axes.

erikun
2008-07-08, 09:36 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't shurikens dex based? You'd probally do much better with a heavy thrown weapon like a javelin or throwing axes.
You are correct. The attack value for the Shuriken should be +4, with the damage at 1d4+1. Javelins, or even throwing hammers and handaxes, would be a better idea.

And yes, Paladins do have a number of healing powers. Why, though, would Paladin/Warlord be any better than, say, a Paladin/Cleric?

The Necroswanso
2008-07-08, 10:37 PM

Okay that means I was reading it wrong then. I thought any thrown was STR based. Thanks for the heads up.

TheOOB
2008-07-08, 11:07 PM
Okay that means I was reading it wrong then. I thought any thrown was STR based. Thanks for the heads up.

Only weapons with the heavy thrown quality are STR based. Of them, javelins are more or less the best, but if you have feats that benefit axes or hammers you should use the throwing version of those.

Foxtale
2008-07-09, 09:28 AM
Clerics aren't even that essential in 4e. As long as you have one or two people with the Heal skill trained, and keep up with the rests between encounters, healing surges and warlords are sufficient replacements.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-09, 11:32 AM
Clerics aren't even that essential in 4e. As long as you have one or two people with the Heal skill trained, and keep up with the rests between encounters, healing surges and warlords are sufficient replacements.

Heck no! Being able to Healing Word or Inspirational Boost from several squares away (as minor actions) is much better than blowing Standard actions to trigger Healing Surges. This is particularly true if you hit a hard encounter.

Of course, you can survive without either a Warlord or a Cleric, but you do a lot more running :smalltongue: