PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Robo

Hairb
2008-07-08, 02:28 AM
From what I could tell, Atomic Robo seems like something that would be to the tastes of a diehard Hellboy fan like me. Is this the case?

Friv
2008-07-08, 11:26 AM
I think so.

I've only read the first trade, due to my longstanding policy of only buying TPBs, never individual comics, but it's a lot of fun.

I would say - Atomic Robo is much more tongue-in-cheek than Hellboy, most of the time. Hellboy has a lot of humour, but most of it tends to be serious. Atomic Robo is flipped - it has some very well-done serious moments, but most of it is humourous.

FoE
2008-07-08, 01:49 PM
While they share some similarities, Hellboy is quite a bit darker and deals more with fighting supernatural evil in the H.P. Lovecraft vein. While Atomic Robo does square off with Nazis and the like, he's more about investigating general "weirdness," like giant ants and moving pyramids. One of the best sequences in the whole book is the mission to Mars, where Robo doesn't do much except slowly go insane from boredm. There's much more emphasis on tongue-in-cheek humour.

Really the question to ask is: do you like 8-Bit Theatre? If so, you will probably like Atomic Robo.

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-08, 02:09 PM
I've got the trade on order, and I've read the last three comics. It's very well done, has quite a few funny bits, and the art is great. While some of the random sequences didn't make much sense, watching Robo blast the ghost of Rasputin with a lightning gun was still awesome.