PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Useful but ommitted items...

llamamushroom
2008-07-08, 07:22 AM
Sorry if this is rather obvious, but how much would a branch of ever-burning fire cost? Or scratch that, a stick with permanencied Light cast thereupon?

Split infinitives are something up with which I will not put.

_Zoot_
2008-07-08, 07:24 AM
what are you going to do with a ever buring branch?

Patashu
2008-07-08, 07:25 AM
what are you going to do with a ever buring branch?

Light up dark places?

Commit arson?

UglyPanda
2008-07-08, 07:26 AM
Everburning Torches cost 110 gp. Check the SRD (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/home.html) Also, permanency can only be cast on a certain selection of spells, light isn't one of them.

llamamushroom
2008-07-08, 07:31 AM
Accursed rules! Light would be a cool en-permanencied spell. Too bad.

Thanks for the cost and link, UglyPanda. And I don't think it ruins the joke.

Griffin131
2008-07-08, 07:31 AM
According to Permanency, you cannot make Light permanent.

An item with a continuous 0th level spell of 10min/level duration would cost:
.5x1x2000x1.5=1500gp.

_Zoot_
2008-07-08, 07:37 AM
Light up dark places?

Commit arson?

But you can do that with magic, what do you a speshal item for?:smallsmile:

Ghill
2008-07-08, 08:50 AM
Great, now I want an everburning branch.

llamamushroom, out of curiosity, why are you interested in a light-giving item?

Eldritch_Ent
2008-07-08, 09:05 AM
You may not be able to Permanancy Light, but a continous Use/Permanent Item only costs what- 1000 Gold to buy? 500 to make?

I've always found Gloves of Prestidigitation to be a nice, cheap item to have.

Chronicled
2008-07-08, 09:19 AM
You may not be able to Permanancy Light, but a continous Use/Permanent Item only costs what- 1000 Gold to buy? 500 to make?

I've always found Gloves of Prestidigitation to be a nice, cheap item to have.

Based off the Hand of the Mage item, they'd probably cost 900 gp.

Aneantir
2008-07-08, 09:33 AM
Light up dark places?

Commit arson?

Actually, in the description of the Continual Flame spell, the spell on the Everburning Torch, it says that it doesn't actually give off heat, so you can't actually use it to fulfill your pyromaniac fantasies.

DrowVampyre
2008-07-08, 10:43 PM
Step 1: create everburning bush.
Step 2: chisel 10 rules you want people to follow on some stone tablets.
Step 3: grow a really long beard.
Step 4: spend the time to grow a long beard up on a mountain all alone, but tell people you're there and going for a world record so they'll come to the base of the mountain to see you do it.
Step 5: do your best Charlton Heston impersonation.
Step 6: win.

:smallbiggrin:

nargbop
2008-07-09, 05:47 PM
Buh! According to the DMG, a significant portion of magical weapons cast light as a torch as a (sometimes unwanted) side effect of awesomeness. I know it's not what you're looking for, but a metal pole statted as a quarterstaff +1 could easily fill the role of Glowy Stick. Cost 2000 gp + 300 + something for the pole.

Siosilvar
2008-07-09, 05:48 PM
Cast continual flame on something (or have someone else do it for you). There you go.

erikun
2008-07-09, 08:46 PM
An everburning torch is lots of fun. I loved saying "I stick the torch in my pocket" during one gaming session. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I'm sure that most DM's would allow a flaming weapon to light fires. Heck, you could probably use the price of just a flaming enchantment for creating a magical tendertwig, if your DM will allow it.

llamamushroom
2008-07-09, 09:15 PM
@Ghill: I want it so I don't have to keep on lighting torches - I like my actions to last less than a full round. Also, wouldn't it be the coolest thing to show to the great unwashed? "Behold - I have fire that is cool to the touch and does not consume this big stick"... OK, now I want an everburning quaterstaff. They'd expect fire damage, but they'd be wrong! A-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! He thought the speaking clock was his wife!

Y'know what's weirdest about the "no permanency Light spell!" thing? In 4e, a cleric essentially can! Whoever made that executive descision has earned my ire forever!

Kizara
2008-07-09, 10:14 PM
@Ghill: I want it so I don't have to keep on lighting torches - I like my actions to last less than a full round. Also, wouldn't it be the coolest thing to show to the great unwashed? "Behold - I have fire that is cool to the touch and does not consume this big stick"... OK, now I want an everburning quaterstaff. They'd expect fire damage, but they'd be wrong! A-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! He thought the speaking clock was his wife!

Y'know what's weirdest about the "no permanency Light spell!" thing? In 4e, a cleric essentially can! Whoever made that executive descision has earned my ire forever!

There is a difference between "At-Will" and Permanent. Permanent allows something to have a lasting impact upon... anything. Aside from stabbing things to death, this is generally not allowed in 4ed.

kjones
2008-07-10, 09:15 AM
Isn't this exactly what an Everburning Torch does?

I mean, if you want to be able to burn stuff, then that won't work, but if you want "cold flame", I think this does exactly what you describe.

If not, just cast Continual Flame on something.

Gorbash
2008-07-10, 10:02 AM
You do know that Everburning Torch is just a torch with Continual Flame cast on it?

mostlyharmful
2008-07-10, 01:59 PM
I've run a Barb with a flaming greatsword before, when we camped at the end of the day he grabbed a few big rocks and wedged it upright as a campfire.:smallsmile: It was intelligent and quite liked the attention of being the focus of the evening but apparently toasting marshmellows was too far:smallfrown:

Talya
2008-07-10, 02:04 PM
Step 1: create everburning bush.
Step 2: chisel 10 rules you want people to follow on some stone tablets.
Step 3: grow a really long beard.
Step 4: spend the time to grow a long beard up on a mountain all alone, but tell people you're there and going for a world record so they'll come to the base of the mountain to see you do it.
Step 5: do your best Charlton Heston impersonation.
Step 6: win.

:smallbiggrin:

/melbrooks on (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082517/)
"I give you the Fifteen..." *CRASH* "...TEN commandments!"
/melbrooks off