PDA

View Full Version : Next game..not DnD..then?

Pink_Paladin
2008-07-08, 08:42 AM
I decided to give the role of DM for the next 4E campaign to one of my players because I want to play 4E this time. I promise him that I wont do a DnD campaign, but maybe something else.

I got : DnD 3.5, 4e, L5R 3e, Exalted 2e, d20 Modern (with most additionnal books), I bought a digital copy of Mutants and Masterminds 2e and I got StarWars RCR and SAGA books.

What game do you suggest and what story/setting do you suggest?

Ex : L5R, the players are grouped by the Jade Champion in a large city. They are ask to fight crime.

Im waiting your suggestions.

Thanks

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-08, 08:58 AM
I suggest Mutants and Masterminds. It's such a good system. As for a story, I frankly haven't a clue

Waspinator
2008-07-08, 05:57 PM
Four words.

Kobolds Ate My Baby.

Isomenes
2008-07-08, 06:56 PM
KAMB! for the win! It's a blast, really and truly.

I won't start on the necrophilia that got going in the game that I played a few months ago. Needless to say, necrophilia was ruled a dangerous thing to do.

Vortling
2008-07-08, 07:05 PM
PDQ (http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies.asp#pdq). Fast, fun, free.

Swordguy
2008-07-08, 07:30 PM
In before 375,765,221 people saying that you should "graduate your game" and play Exalted. :smallmad:

I'm in an L5R3e game right now - the rules are...bad. In fact, they're so bad that AEG is coming out with a 3e Revised fairly soon (some people have said at GenCon) that more or less rewrites the entire combat chapter, and puts a LOT of the existing schools back where they're SUPPOSED to be, rather than where RAW took them.

Honestly, as much as I don't like d20, I have a hard time seeing anybody go too wrong with Star Wars SAGA. I rather prefer Old Republic games (2000ish years pre-prequels), but YMMV.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-08, 07:31 PM
I like GURPS myself, but that doesn't seem to be an option for you.

Pink_Paladin
2008-07-08, 09:23 PM
In before 375,765,221 people saying that you should "graduate your game" and play Exalted. :smallmad:

I'm in an L5R3e game right now - the rules are...bad. In fact, they're so bad that AEG is coming out with a 3e Revised fairly soon (some people have said at GenCon) that more or less rewrites the entire combat chapter, and puts a LOT of the existing schools back where they're SUPPOSED to be, rather than where RAW took them.

Honestly, as much as I don't like d20, I have a hard time seeing anybody go too wrong with Star Wars SAGA. I rather prefer Old Republic games (2000ish years pre-prequels), but YMMV.

I also read about Legend of the Burning sands. That is going to be nice.

I think L5R rules are great. Maybe I didn't read it so much to know, but anyway. I like the idea of clans/factions/family giving specefic trait bonuses. I think I can use thin pattern and create my own game universe. So, maybe if I do a game in a China world Jiujistu would become Wushu (which litteralty mean Way of Combat, so it can be anyway martial arts) and many skills would change also.

Ill see.

monty
2008-07-08, 10:23 PM
How about FATAL?

Before anybody eats me, I'm joking.

Indon
2008-07-08, 10:36 PM

Person Number 1. White Wolf is _way_ better at making roleplaying games than it is at advertising.

TheOOB
2008-07-08, 11:19 PM
Person Number 1. White Wolf is _way_ better at making roleplaying games than it is at advertising.

They are pretty good at making games, new world of darkness is great rules wise, there are a few setting elements I'm not too crazy about, but those can be changed.

The only book you have there that isn't d20 is exalted, so I suggest you go with that. The d20 system is great, but it would do most RPG players to play with something that isn't d20 for a little while, the wargame-y feel of d20 is great, but it isn't very good at teaching people good role play.

Waspinator
2008-07-09, 12:24 AM

So, I assume you're looking forward to August?
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/KOTORguide

elliott20
2008-07-09, 10:03 AM
Pink_Paladin, what kind of game do you and your group enjoy? depending upon the genre of your choice, the best system choice could be vastly different.

Albonor
2008-07-09, 10:10 AM
Warhammer Fanstasy Role Play. Medium complexity, great ambiance, easily adaptable, good for character dev.

Tengu
2008-07-09, 10:18 AM

Seconded. WoD gives off an impression of a series of games for angsty elitists who consider their sessions "true art" and more mature than you ever will be able to experience... and I don't know if that's true, but Exalted is not World of Darkness. Exalted is all about being epic, flashy, and cool.

Indon
2008-07-09, 11:03 AM
Seconded. WoD gives off an impression of a series of games for angsty elitists who consider their sessions "true art" and more mature than you ever will be able to experience... and I don't know if that's true, but Exalted is not World of Darkness. Exalted is all about being epic, flashy, and cool.

Even World of Darkness (old WoD) is extremely variant in its genre appeal. They go everywhere from the True-Art-Angstfest to the pulp zombie apocalypse (See: Hunter the Reckoning) to a Nightmare-Fuel lined children's show (Changeling the Dreaming) to, well, the same kind of anime-inspired epicness Exalted specializes in (I find you're more inclined to get this by heavily mixing types, 'cause of all the ridiculous plotlines that result).

Pink_Paladin
2008-07-09, 01:16 PM
Pink_Paladin, what kind of game do you and your group enjoy? depending upon the genre of your choice, the best system choice could be vastly different.

After trying all of those games my players are more action oriented but likes to RP too. They like any power level of gaming. I want to do something else this time.

EDIT : Maybe a Mutants and Masterminds game set in Exalted setting. That could be nice since my player agree that MnM is the best system ever.

Jayabalard
2008-07-09, 03:39 PM
Did you want to stick to a game system that you already own or are you looking to buy something new?

Are you looking for serious gaming, or something more along the lines of beer and pretzels gaming? If the latter, you might want to look into munchkin D20, or Paranoia.

High power or low power? Realistic, or fantastic? High tech, low tech? RP heavy, crunch heavy or somewhere inbetween?

Are there any particular settings that might be good?

Talya
2008-07-09, 05:01 PM
So, I assume you're looking forward to August?
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/KOTORguide

Oh god, yes.

Waspinator
2008-07-09, 05:27 PM
Yeah, that KOTOR book looks pretty neat. If nothing else, that time period is fun because it is much less rigidly defined (at least in most people's minds) than any part of the time periods of the movies. That means that you can do almost anything you want in that time period short of smashing a planet and still have things pretty much stay in continuity with the movies and most published SW material. Also, hordes of Sith and Mandalorians make a nice change from Stormtroopers.

Anyway, back more on topic, Paranoia could be interesting. It's certainly a pretty unique RPG. Not many games actively encourage player in-fighting to that degree.

Talya
2008-07-09, 05:36 PM
That means that you can do almost anything you want in that time period short of smashing a planet and still have things pretty much stay in continuity with the movies and most published SW material.

You can smash planets, too. Just not Alderaan, Bespin, Cato Neimoidia, Coruscant, Dagobah, Dantooine, Endor, Felucia, Geonosis, Hoth, Kamino, Kashyyyk, Mustafar, Mygeeto, Naboo, Nal Hutta, Nar Shadda, Polis Massa, Saleucami, Tatooine, Utapau, or Yavin 4.

Pink_Paladin
2008-07-09, 09:08 PM
Did you want to stick to a game system that you already own or are you looking to buy something new?

Are you looking for serious gaming, or something more along the lines of beer and pretzels gaming? If the latter, you might want to look into munchkin D20, or Paranoia.

High power or low power? Realistic, or fantastic? High tech, low tech? RP heavy, crunch heavy or somewhere inbetween?

Are there any particular settings that might be good?

Im looking for a serious game, and I would prefer a game that I already own right now. Im more kind to start low level of powers where players target high level. Even if I like high power game such MnM. Either high or low tech. In either case, the world is mine. I never set a game in the Earth world. Even when I was playing d20 Future, my game was always set in a different world.

In any case, the game much be high adventure. So maybe you would suggest StarWars set in the Old Republic or even d20 Apocalypse. Tell me what you suggest.

Waspinator
2008-07-09, 09:21 PM
Star Wars in the Old Republic fighting the armies of the Sith would be cool if you're willing to wait until August for that book I linked to come out.

Ralfarius
2008-07-09, 09:27 PM
. . . Nightmare-Fuel lined children's show . . .
"I love you, you love me.
Let's commit atrocity!"
- Braney the Dinosaur (Breedbook: Mokolé)

bosssmiley
2008-07-10, 07:33 AM
I suggest: none of the games you have now. Broaden your horizons beyond the d20/WW ghetto. :smallwink:

Low/quasi-historic fantasy: WFRP, Ars Magica, Pendragon.

The latter two especially are RPG master classes in themselves. :smallamused:

High/epic fantasy: Elric or Runequest.

Runequest is another master class game. This is a game that starts off with you being club-swinging tribesmen and ends up at a power level that says 'shut up junior!' to Exalted. It is *expected* that the players take fight gods, establish religions and actively control of the meta-plot at high levels.
You'll never go "ZOMGovarpwrd!" at D&D again.

Bizarro European baroque fantasy: Agone.

It's easier read than explained. Suffice it to say it's like Three Musketeers or 7th Sea on acid. You play fey who are servants of the divine Seasons in subtle and complex courtly intrigues, or something... :smallconfused:

Pink_Paladin
2008-07-10, 09:25 AM
Star Wars in the Old Republic fighting the armies of the Sith would be cool if you're willing to wait until August for that book I linked to come out.

Since Im living far from my players, I must wait 'til the end of August when the school start. So, I can wait.

Im still hesitating between Star Wars and L5R.

Star Wars is more action oriented. I planned to make them start level one around Qui-Gon death and bring them level 5 before the Clone Wars. They would reach level 14 during the Clone Wars and maybe level 16 after the Order 66.

In L5R, im still hesitating on what approach I should use. There is no real guide line on what a GM should do.

I got plenty of time to think about it!

elliott20
2008-07-10, 11:41 PM
After trying all of those games my players are more action oriented but likes to RP too. They like any power level of gaming. I want to do something else this time.

EDIT : Maybe a Mutants and Masterminds game set in Exalted setting. That could be nice since my player agree that MnM is the best system ever.
well, that's cool and all but I was thinking more towards genre you like. sci-fi? high fantasy? sci-fantasy? hard sci-fi? superhero? sword and sorcery? swords and sandals? pulp action? film noir? do you have a "schtick" in mind? It really helps get the players into the mood when you have a theme to your game.

Generic fantasy is fine and all, but then in that case you might as well just stick with another d20 variant product like Ars Magica or some such.

I recommend you actually talk to your prospective players on what they would like to see in terms of genre.

Granted, you could still use just about any system for most of these, but then you miss out on a chance to try out a lot of really cool systems out there designed for specific games.