PDA

View Full Version : Eberron and D20 Modern Book Questions

InkEyes
2008-07-08, 05:20 PM
So, I've been wanting to buy some rulebooks for the Eberron campaign setting and D20 Modern recently, but I'm absolutely clueless about which ones to buy. I'm usually the DM, but books for the players will probably be necessary, too. So, recommendations for the most important/best rulebooks to buy for Eberron/D20 Modern?

RTGoodman
2008-07-08, 05:33 PM
Well, the Eberron Campaign Setting book is a good buy if you don't already have it. :smalltongue:

I think my old roommate (who was the one that liked Eberron a lot) enjoyed Races of Eberron, Player's Guide to Eberron, and Magic of Eberron (or whichever it is that has stuff for Psiforged).

I don't know anything about d20 Modern, though. Sorry.

batsofchaos
2008-07-08, 05:35 PM
Pretty much all you need for d20 Modern is the Core Rulebook, which has all the rules for the game; basically the PH and DMG rolled into one. You might also want to pick up the d20 Menace Manual. The other books have rules for specific genres; the core is basically just "action-movie." There're books for futuristic games, post-apocalyptic, non-magic ancient, modern magic, you name it. All that you need is the d20 Modern Roleplaying Game book.

Recaiden
2008-07-08, 05:44 PM
There is a D20 modern SRD online that has all of the "crunch" from the core rulebook, Urban Arcana, Future, and the menace manual, but the material will likely be hard to use.

InkEyes
2008-07-08, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Pretty much all you need for d20 Modern is the Core Rulebook, which has all the rules for the game; basically the PH and DMG rolled into one. You might also want to pick up the d20 Menace Manual. The other books have rules for specific genres; the core is basically just "action-movie." There're books for futuristic games, post-apocalyptic, non-magic ancient, modern magic, you name it. All that you need is the d20 Modern Roleplaying Game book.

Two books I've seen on shelves are Urban Arcana and D20 Modern Weapons Locker. Do you think either of those would be important?

RTGoodman
2008-07-08, 05:52 PM
I'd completely forgotten that there's a d20 Modern SRD. I even had it bookmarked from a few years ago when some friends were thinking about playing a Modern campaign. You can find it here (http://www.archeform.com/d20modern/home.htm).

Two books I've seen on shelves are Urban Arcana and D20 Modern Weapons Locker. Do you think either of those would be important?

Well, there are weapons in the Core book, but the Weapons Locker book (I assume) just has more of them and different kinds. Probably not important unless you've got a guy that wants a specific weapon not in Core. Urban Arcana is, from what I've heard, basically a campaign setting for d20 Modern that incorporates fantasy into the d20 Modern game (so you've got magic-using PCs, dragons running corporations, nations run by mind flayers, and stuff like that).

batsofchaos
2008-07-08, 05:55 PM
Urban Arcana's useful if you want magic in your game. If not, ditch it. The setting presented is basically DnD in modern times; dragons, goblins, bugbears, etc. are alive and well, just 'hidden' from the norms who don't have the mental strength/deficiencies to see them. Not my cup of tea, but if it sounds good go for it. I was much more interested in Agents of Psi, which is a campaign where the PCs are part of a worldwide investigation agency looking into paranormal activities. I always thought psionics were a much better mix for modern stories than magic anyway.

Weapons Locker is an equipment expansion. Think the Arms and Equipment Guide for DnD 3.5. Not required, but potentially useful.

InkEyes
2008-07-08, 05:57 PM
nations run by mind flayers

I think I know what campaign setting I'm using for D20 Modern now. Thanks for the link to the Modern SRD, too. I knew there was one around, but I apparently never saved the bookmark on my home computer.:smalltongue:

Edit- Agents of Psi sounds cool too, though. I'll have to ask my PCs about what they want.