PDA

View Full Version : Greysky City (OotPC's spoilers)

d'Bwobsling
2008-07-08, 06:14 PM
So who here thinks that the reason Haley didn't want to go to Greysky city, was because the thieves guild she went to in ootpc's is there. The way she described it seemed to make sense that that would be it, though she is a rogue and could of rolled a high enough knowledge local, to know to stay away from it.

P.S. My apoligies if anyone has allready posted this

Remirach
2008-07-08, 08:16 PM
Not to be rude or anything, but this theory has been bounced around since #531 first came out and Haley expressed a reluctance to go there. Since then, it's been practically assumed. I think factotum gets credit for being the first person to make the connection:

I'm guessing it's where Haley was a member of the Thieves' Guild in "On the Origin of PCs", although it doesn't make it obvious it is.

If it is, then there's a very peeved guildmaster and an assassin who would both like a few words with Ms. Starshine...

Note the post date.

David Argall
2008-07-08, 09:53 PM
The theory that Haley came from Greysky probably first appeared shortly after we first heard the name Greysky. 531 merely promoted it from the favorite [but supported by very little] theory to near canon [but still not supported by much].

Remirach
2008-07-08, 10:04 PM
The theory that Haley came from Greysky probably first appeared shortly after we first heard the name Greysky.
...which was in comic 531, unless you can prove otherwise.

EDIT: Wait, no -- I found one (I'm doing your own work for you)! We had boxes in 517 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0517.html) that were imported from Greysky. But somehow, I don't seem to recall people going "aha! That must be where Haley's from!" at the time.

People didn't associate Haley with GSC until she gave them a reason to associate the two, which was in 531.

Chronos
2008-07-08, 10:22 PM
The first mention of Greysky is in Start of Darkness, which has a scene set there. I'm not sure if people started the speculation then or not.

Remirach
2008-07-08, 10:34 PM
The first mention of Greysky is in Start of Darkness, which has a scene set there. I'm not sure if people started the speculation then or not.
Yes, I remember that, but as a prequel I didn't think it counted -- plus more to the point, there was nothing to connect Haley to GSC, no mention of thieves congregating there, nothing. Before I bought SoD I plowed through the relevant thread (desperate for spoilers -- pathetic, I know, but I was poor!), and I don't recall any speculation tying the two together. There was no reason to do so, prior to 531.

Anyway this is a silly argument which I'm going to stop participating in. I wouldn't have even gotten involved in it if David hadn't for some reason wanted to say "nah, there were probably plenty of people speculating about Haley and GSC before 531," which just irritated me when he had nothing to back it up.

King of Nowhere
2008-07-09, 07:13 AM
Everything seems to point in that direction; but the Giant hates being predictable, so it's not so sure that Greysky is that city.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-09, 07:44 AM
I thought someone suggested that Greysky was the city which Elan visited in OtOoPCs and that it was where Haley was living before she became an adventurer a while back (I'll try to find the thread for you).

factotum
2008-07-09, 11:48 AM
Everything seems to point in that direction; but the Giant hates being predictable, so it's not so sure that Greysky is that city.

We've seen a grand total of three cities in the entire run of the comic so far--Cliffport, Azure City, and Greysky City. (Four, if you include the hobgoblin city in the mountains, but I'm ignoring it for now :smallsmile:). Judging from the conversation when Celia and Haley were leaving Azure City, Greysky and Cliffport are the only cities within a thousand miles of AC. In a world where cities are that sparse, it beggars belief that there might be two entirely different cities that happen to have the same name...

Vaarsuvius4181
2008-07-09, 01:41 PM
I borrowed OOPC's from my freind a while ago, but if my memory serves me correctly, I belive that she refused to hand a dimond over or something, and a price was put on her head. Probably, not the best Idea to go there.

hamishspence
2008-07-09, 02:16 PM
Not quite true:

she resigned from the guild, was told that if she wished to leave their protection she was free to do so. A guild co-worker told her that "anyone who's tried to get out has ended up deader than THACO", and the most she can expect is an hour's head start.

So, if that city was Creysky (it had a big castle/palace on a hill) haley might need to be wary.

EponymousKid
2008-07-09, 03:27 PM
Get ready for some juicy Sin City parody... I mean, you hate to think it's going in that direction, but, come on.

Or, at least be prepared to hear about how wretched a hive of scum and villainy it is. If that doesn't happen, I will eat my hat.

and, honestly, I kind of assumed Haley was either from where her father is held prisoner, or that she was a vagrant (thieving and vagrancy go together well) before adventuring.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-07-09, 06:42 PM
SoD Spoiler:
Eugene Greenhilt meets with Right Eye (Redcloak's now deceased brother) in a tavern in Greysky City, which is apparently no more than a rowboat ride away from Xykon's old base castle... I'm wondering if that might have significance in THIS story arc.

I'm also of the belief that Haley is from Greysky City as well. A few theories, based on "On the Origins of PCs" below:

Bozzak the Half-Orc Guildmaster never lets money earners leave, at least not alive. Haley quit the guild after she received the letter from Lord Tyrinar demanding a 200,000 gp bribe to release her father. Since Bozzak took a 99% cut of Haley's earnings, she never would be able to earn the cash needed while remaining a Guild Thief.

When Haley left, Crystal the Assassin was most likely dispatched to kill Haley, but somehow ended up distracted by the "Rob You While You Sleep Inn" caper, which is the inn where Elan and Sir Francios stayed. I've always wondered if Greysky was where Elan was ditched by Sir Francios, then later Elan made his way north to where he taught Roy how to recruit a party for adventuring.

Haley will probably have to come to Celia's rescue, and may end up resolving her problems with the Greysky Thieves' Guild, Crystal, Bozzak, and possibly return Roy and get rid of Belkar. Unless Elan shows up, the Belkster is completely out of friends in OotS.

Chronos
2008-07-10, 12:53 AM
and, honestly, I kind of assumed Haley was either from where her father is held prisoner,...She'd never heard of the place before she got the ransom letter.