PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Creature type

PnP Fan
2008-07-08, 11:18 PM
Okay, probably kind of a noob question, but I've never run across this before.

We're playing in Forgotten Realms, and I've decided to take the Outsider feat as my background feat. One of the properties this feat bestows on a character is that the character's type becomes "Native Outsider". Does this mean that any spell (or other effect) that specifically mentions it's target as being "humanoid" doesn't affect my character any more? That seems like it would make my character immune to a fairly large number of spells, mostly of the Enchantment variety. Am I right? Wrong? I've checked the MM definition of the term, but it doesn't really describe how this sort of thing interplays with spells, and I'm having a hard time finding what I'm looking for.

Also, if you decide to answer this question, I'd appreciate it if you pointed me to the book or text that describes the implications of this change in type, so I can show my GM, so he understands exactly what I'm doing. Truth is, my GM most dishes out mostly hp damage in fights, so I'm not expecting this will ever come up in practical application.

Draz74
2008-07-08, 11:55 PM
You are correct. Charm Person won't work on a Native Outsider. (Beware: neither will buffs like Enlarge Person.)

PnP Fan
2008-07-09, 07:20 AM
Okay, thanks! I'm playing a Wizard,so I won't be needing too many buffs of that nature anyway.

BTW, Draz, Like your sig. Definitely embodies the boards these days.

KillianHawkeye
2008-07-09, 08:40 PM
Be sure to familiarize yourself with everything you get for being an Outsider (important parts bolded):

An outsider possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

-Darkvision out to 60 feet.
-Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.
-Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
-Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Outsiders not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Outsiders are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
-Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish). Native outsiders breathe, eat, and sleep.

Also be sure to note how your creature type interacts with various spells and magical effects.

monty
2008-07-09, 08:44 PM
You're immune to spells like Charm Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/charmPerson.htm) because they specifically target creatures of the humanoid type.

Target: One humanoid creature

MeklorIlavator
2008-07-09, 08:48 PM
Also, alter self just became a whole lot better, as one of the major limit is that what you turn into has to be the creature type as you. Thus, enjoy turning into various outsiders, with all the perks that implies. For example, Dwarven Ancestor gets 18 NA.

Signmaker
2008-07-09, 09:39 PM
Also, native outsiders can be revived when they die. Yay, you!