PDA

View Full Version : Slang

Behold_the_Void
2008-07-09, 04:25 AM
For my upcoming campaign, one of the characters is going to be an ancient relic of the past, a warforged that has just been activated after almost 1,000 years of being trapped underground. In that time, things have changed dramatically.

One of the ways I want to emphasize this is to get a good amount of slang together and giving it to every player but the warforged. Ideally, they'll get used to using the lingo which will create an atmosphere where the warforged (who is intelligent but hardly charismatic) is trying to piece together these foreign words with the rest of the language that he does recognize (the region is - or was, primarily Eladrin and their remaining political clout after the obligatory disaster that wiped out the empires and brought the world into the 'points of light in the darkness' has kept the language moderately static so it's not completely unintelligible to him).

So the question is, how far should I take this and what kinds of words or phrases are likely candidates for a slang? The warforged's player is a linguistics buff/major and will definitely enjoy trying to puzzle out the slang, and I want to try to keep it at least somewhat plausible and actually make it challenging for him to puzzle out. I know Shadowrun uses some different vocabulary but I still haven't had a chance to play it and don't have it as a reference. Thus, I'm wondering where a good place to start would be. I figure at the very least different terms for the various races (maybe even several, some of which are less than kind) would be good to start out with, and maybe some various terms for gear and combat, since the people he'll be working with are generally of the mercenary bent.

Lord Herman
2008-07-09, 05:18 AM
You could look at Firefly's slang. They use all kinds of different made-up slang there: 'verse for universe, shiny for great/cool/nifty, and all kinds of chinese phrases for curses. So there you've got an abbreviated word, an existing word given a new meaning, and imported words from another language.

Xuincherguixe
2008-07-09, 06:05 AM
Shadowrun's slang probably isn't too appropriate here. It's mostly words for techy things, and it's a pretty logical extension of American Slang.

... Well, at least the Seattle/UCAS slang. It's different if you're say, in London. Or Berlin.

Also, a lot of the "Slang" is only inferred. You don't get a complete list.

Not a whole bunch left at that point but racial slurs.

In the extremely unlikely event that your player are not anime fans (I think it's safe to assume if they weren't already, you introduced them :P) You could use some Japanese terms. But, as mentioned, they probably are. Of course, you might actually know more, in which case it's fair game :P

If you knew another language, you could get terms from there. Or, atlernatively, modified terms. For instance, an explosive could be called a Bonjie, because it's a way of saying "Hello!".

Storm Bringer
2008-07-09, 06:25 AM
good ideas:

nick real slang form locations the players are not familliar with. working on the basis you will all be actaully speaking american english during the game, may I suggest stealing form both British English (http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/). Speaking as a brit, several convosations with americans on this site have been confused by unthinking use of british slang.

Also, look for slang form former british empire countires, particually the parts where native languages remained in widespread use, for example India, or south africa. That way, you get slang mixed by people familar with english, but still containg 'exotic' elements.

A quick google found me this site: http://slang.otheday.com/

nick the ones you like the most. just make sure that anyone reading it could consistantly pronouce it. It would really destroy the atmosphere if one the players uses a word that they all 'know' and the other players go 'wuh?'

Bender
2008-07-09, 06:27 AM
I think very common words change slower, so don't change those. Specific words change more easily.
This is good because having your players switch a common word is much harder.
Names for weapons, items, animals, plants are easiest I think. I don't think it is a good idea to change verbs, except maybe for some specific ones.
Expressions, greetings and formalities probably change the fastest

names for races are probably only going to change in places where the race itself has no influence on it.
Since Elves have a much longer lifespan, their language also changes much, much slower, same applies probably to Draconic and extraplanar languages might not change at all, while Orc and Goblin probably change faster.

Maybe the warforged also uses words that have gone out of use, he could have a separate list for other stuff (this doesn't have to be more work, you could just split the list. There is no reason why both the warforged and the rest would have an alternative for the same word)

SuperPanda
2008-07-09, 06:30 AM
You could respell certain words into similar sounding ones that don't carry the old meaning, and then put the meaning right back in through usage (Battlestar Galactica and "Frak")

I'd suggest building slang out of your pantheons and world events though. Something cursed and evil might be "Shaded" while someone who upholds the laws above people's lives might be a twinky. Etimology for suggested words:

Shaded: An explicitive coming from the time of darkness when the points of light were remade. Something shaded was tainted in the death and destruction, the word envokes the images of the whole world, and all its life, vanishing into the void with thousands of voices screaming in agony. It should be treated as more profane than the F bomb.

Twinkie: Comes from the phrase "A real Star" coming from the points of Light era in which anyone who protected life was a becon or a Torch, to be a star was to be a champion that would be remembered after the end of the world itself. A Twinkie is someone who thinks they are a star but hasn't earned the honor.

could give you more if you like these.

ForzaFiori
2008-07-09, 06:39 AM
Use some of the stuff from the Hithchiker's Guide.

here's the whole ten that are explained. Some won't work, but they might help.

Hitchhiker slang (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2118692)

Xuincherguixe
2008-07-09, 06:41 AM
... That Canadian Slang section is pretty short. I had no idea "Double Double" was a specifically Canadian thing either, live and learn. That being said though, Newfoundland slang is nasty! (Which is what I was looking for)

"How's she going me trout?" That's a real phrase.

Bender
2008-07-09, 07:00 AM
Use some of the stuff from the Hithchiker's Guide.

here's the whole ten that are explained. Some won't work, but they might help.

Hitchhiker slang (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2118692)

Belgium:
The worst, most rude expletive in the entire known Galaxy. Many people have been killed or have accidentally caused major galactic wars due to either, a) saying it, or b) accidentally saying it. Only acceptable use of the word is in serious screenplays
Oh man, I wonder how many aliens I've already offended on this forum

SuperPanda
2008-07-09, 07:32 AM
In one episode Doctor Who mentions having met Arthur Dent... which makes the following conversation in a later episode far more amusing:

"It'll blow a whole in the universe the size of... well actually the exact size of Belgium. That's rather anticlimatic isn't it?"

And latter on.

"Oh no, this is bad. Two minutes to Belgium."

-----------------------

Back on topic, I do suggest making a few of your own that you throw in with those to keep very astute players guessing. (Or just pull from multiple lists).

Behold_the_Void
2008-07-09, 03:25 PM
Japanese is definitely out, he's a Japanese minor and has spent the past few months living in Japan. The various British slangs though do seem pretty promising, I might pepper in a few interesting words for weapon and combat terms.

Hitchhiker slang I don't want to use too much if at all, I believe he's a fan of the series. I may let him use some of it though, but I'm thinking I'll have him speak normally which is basically how most of the Eladrin still speak, basically the "high" version of the language.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-09, 03:34 PM
In one episode Doctor Who mentions having met Arthur Dent... which makes the following conversation in a later episode far more amusing:

"It'll blow a whole in the universe the size of... well actually the exact size of Belgium. That's rather anticlimatic isn't it?"

And latter on.

"Oh no, this is bad. Two minutes to Belgium."

Awesome. Adams did do some work for Dr. Who.

Also on-topic, I wanted to say something about verbs: While they wouldn't change, some might become more popular, mightn't they?

Renrik
2008-07-09, 05:14 PM
There's some weird slang in Races of Destiny, under human language.

There was some slang that developed in the Town before all the old-school towners moved forums.

Gobbo- Goblin
Hobbo- Hobgoblin
Pinkies- The 'civilized' (caucasian-looking) races
Mouse- Criminal slang for average citizen
Rat- Criminal in general
Biter- Violent criminal (assassins, thugs, muggers)
Sea Rat- Pirate (that one was a little obvious)
Pack Rat- Member of a criminal gang of theives
Fat- Rich
Cat- Police officer (Toms and Queens occasioanlly used to denote ranks)
Stick or stuck- Stab or stabbed
Shiver- Short sword (various terms were used for daggers)
Splinter- Dagger

Other possible slang words
Bob- Head (Frag that! The stuck me a shiver in the bob! Biffy gobbo biters! Had to get my stiff to the temple so the clothman could up me!)
Biffy- Stupid
Frag- It's a dirty word. Enjoy it.
Jiver- Another dirty word.
Stiff- Corpse, or a verb meaning to kill. Use it as you will.
Clothman- Preist
Up- Ressurect
Jum- friend
Tuppy- weak

Frag that! The jiver stuck me a shiver in the bob, biffy gobbo biter! My jums had to get me to the temple so the clothman could up me.

Yeah, I'm gettin' sick of all these hobbos and their kind around here. they're all rats, and the queens at the station are in the fat rat's pocket, so the tomcats aren't doing anthing about, claim they're too busy fighting off the sea rats from the docks. Frag the whole lot of 'em! I think our gobbo jums'll find the pinkies 'round here ain't so tuppy.

They think the whole lot of us are a bunch of biffy mice just waitin' to be stiffed off. Let's see if the pack rats think the same when they've got a cold splinter stuck in their guts.

mostlyharmful
2008-07-09, 05:18 PM
try reading some of the Dark Tower series by Steven King if you want a whole lot of different lingos that slowly change with time. Lots of slang and cants and god knows what. Also a great read.:smallsmile:

Vexxation
2008-07-09, 05:28 PM
Frag that! The jiver stuck me a shiver in the bob, biffy gobbo biter! My jums had to get me to the temple so the clothman could up me.

Yeah, I'm gettin' sick of all these hobbos and their kind around here. they're all rats, and the queens at the station are in the fat rat's pocket, so the tomcats aren't doing anthing about, claim they're too busy fighting off the sea rats from the docks. Frag the whole lot of 'em! I think our gobbo jums'll find the pinkies 'round here ain't so tuppy.

They think the whole lot of us are a bunch of biffy mice just waitin' to be stiffed off. Let's see if the pack rats think the same when they've got a cold splinter stuck in their guts.

Is it normal that when I read that aloud, I did so with a Cockney accent?

mikeejimbo
2008-07-09, 05:33 PM

Is it possible to not read that with a Cockney accent?

monty
2008-07-09, 05:33 PM
A Clockwork Orange has some interesting slang, and is a rather interesting read as well.

Storm Bringer
2008-07-09, 05:48 PM

Perfectly. I can't read that part without slipping into the pacing and delivery of cockney. I think it's partly a deliberate attempt by the writer to emulate the cockney style, and partly because it's one of the few slang heavy dialects out thier that most people know.

off the top of my head, I can only readily name three dialects that make heavy use of slang:

Cockney
Valspeak ("like, so whatever.......")
Gangsta/sterotypical 'black' slang.

other than that, most dialects I know are mainly based on differences in how words are said, rather than what words are said.

monty
2008-07-09, 05:53 PM

Yes! Use that!

mikeejimbo
2008-07-09, 05:54 PM
Ooh ooh, there's gangster slang, too!

"You do as I say or you get a brand new pair of cement shoes, capisce?"

ForzaFiori
2008-07-09, 06:05 PM
Perfectly. I can't read that part without slipping into the pacing and delivery of cockney. I think it's partly a deliberate attempt by the writer to emulate the cockney style, and partly because it's one of the few slang heavy dialects out thier that most people know.

off the top of my head, I can only readily name three dialects that make heavy use of slang:

Cockney
Gangsta/sterotypical 'black' slang.

other than that, most dialects I know are mainly based on differences in how words are said, rather than what words are said.

Eh, southern has a good bit of slang, though alot of it is simply making new contractions or compound words. But we are some of the few people who use "ain't" "Y'all" "mash" (most ppl say push for some reason), etc.

Vexxation
2008-07-09, 06:08 PM
Eh, southern has a good bit of slang, though alot of it is simply making new contractions or compound words. But we are some of the few people who use "ain't" "Y'all" "mash" (most ppl say push for some reason), etc.

Don't forget "WAY-uhl" (well) and "Ah do declare!"

Gorbash
2008-07-09, 06:36 PM
Planescape slang is pretty cool, too.

Kraggi
2008-07-09, 06:55 PM
After a thousand years, languages do more than change slang, they change pretty much everything. Middle English of a thousand years ago is almost unrecognizable to us today. For example:
Whan that Aprille, with hise shoures soote,
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his swete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth

Is, in modern english:
When April with his showers sweet with fruit
The drought of March has pierced unto the root
And bathed each vein with liquor that has power
To generate therein and sire the flower;
When Zephyr also has, with his sweet breath,
Quickened again, in every holt and heath

Also, the pronunciation is completely different in middle English from how we would pronounce words in modern English.. That might be killing catgirls what I just did, but I would think it would be much more like being shoved from living in France all your life to Spain without any French speakers around. I think it would be altogether more different than what people are saying now, if I may kill a few catgirls and risk sounding snobbish. This might be undoable on a campaign level though, so I may just be wasting air.

The Grim Author
2008-07-09, 07:13 PM
Actually, that's only about 600, 700 years old. You want the English of 1000 years ago, you're looking more at the time of Beowulf and the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.

As an example, here's what it looked like in the original (thanks to a brief online search):
Her ælfricus arcebiscop forðferde.
Her mann halgode ælfehg to arcebiscope.

And here's the translation:
Here Archbishop Aelfric died.
Here Aelfea was consecrated to Archbishop.

Quite the difference, wouldn't you say? English doesn't even use some of those letters anymore.

EDIT: The pronunciation wasn't all that different between Middle and Modern English, it was mostly the vowels. Caxton's printing press froze spelling right before the Great Vowel Shift, which is why we have some of the really strange spellings (in Middle English, for instance, noose and close would have rhymed).

Kraggi
2008-07-09, 07:32 PM
I thought Beowulf was 1200 and Canterbury Tales was 800. I went with the more recent to prove a point. Oopsies! Thanks for the correction that makes my point look much more valid ;P

mikeejimbo
2008-07-09, 11:16 PM
But we're talking about Elves here. There are Elves alive that remember 1000 years ago. A long-lived race probably doesn't change anything as quickly, much less language.

Kraggi
2008-07-10, 12:28 AM
....Well, I didn't think o' that. I think it still would change pretty drastically though, as plenty of conquering and intermingling of cultures and languages happens in 1000 years. Elves would remember the old tongue possibly, but would they have any practice in talking it int he past 800 years or so? There still would be significant change I would think, but it does make a difference I didn't think of because I didn't know we were talking elves, sorry, missed that.

Behold_the_Void
2008-07-10, 01:10 AM
....Well, I didn't think o' that. I think it still would change pretty drastically though, as plenty of conquering and intermingling of cultures and languages happens in 1000 years. Elves would remember the old tongue possibly, but would they have any practice in talking it int he past 800 years or so? There still would be significant change I would think, but it does make a difference I didn't think of because I didn't know we were talking elves, sorry, missed that.

The area is primarily made up of elves, Eladrin, to be specific, who live 300 years. However, they're the aristocracy, and much of the language has remained fairly constant. It's the lower forms that are different. Also, most communities are in complete if not near complete isolation since the upheaval, so the languages would generally stagnate somewhat. It may not be ENTIRELY accurate, but I want to, if it's not too much trouble, make a conscious nod at it and have a fun other aspect for us to linguistics geek out about.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-10, 01:19 AM
If you had said he was a linguistics minor, I'd swear he was my former roommate.

Fhaolan
2008-07-10, 01:22 AM
I hate to say this really, because you seem to have gone fairly far down this path, but wouldn't it be easier all round to have the *warforged* with the bizzare antiquated phrasing and lingo, rather than all the rest of the players trying to be come up with something consistent amongst all of them?

I've listened to some Saxon, and it's very frustrating, because I swear that I *can* understand some of it. Just not enough to piece together what's going on. :smallsmile:

Behold_the_Void
2008-07-10, 02:01 AM
I hate to say this really, because you seem to have gone fairly far down this path, but wouldn't it be easier all round to have the *warforged* with the bizzare antiquated phrasing and lingo, rather than all the rest of the players trying to be come up with something consistent amongst all of them?

I've listened to some Saxon, and it's very frustrating, because I swear that I *can* understand some of it. Just not enough to piece together what's going on. :smallsmile:

I'm still in the information gathering at this point. The reason I want everyone else to speak differently than the warforged is to create the feeling that the character just woke up and suddenly can't understand anybody anymore. I may give him his own slang to make him seem equally unintelligible to them, it depends on his backstory. There's a reasonable possiblity that the warforged would speak in the high, aristocratic dialect, in which case he'd be more or less understandable by the others since it's the purest and most intact form of the language.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-10, 02:15 AM
Hehe, or maybe not. I was just reminded of Idiocracy.

If you haven't seen the movie, the reason is that in it, language degraded into total slang. A guy from 500 years earlier (who was frozen) spoke normal English, but no one could understand him because he spoke properly. Basically. You'd have to see the movie.

bosssmiley
2008-07-10, 05:49 AM
Saw this, thought it might be relevant: Future History of the American Language (http://www.xibalba.demon.co.uk/jbr/futurese.html).

Includes this (startling) comparative from the Colloquay of Aelfric:

1000 AD: "Wé cildra biddaþ þé, éalá láréow, þæt þú taéce ús sprecan rihte, forþám ungelaérede wé sindon, and gewæmmodlíce we sprecaþ..."

2000 AD: "We children beg you, teacher, that you should teach us to speak correctly, because we are ignorant and we speak corruptly..."

I can only follow the 1000AD Anglo-Saxon because I can speak German. :smalleek:

llamamushroom
2008-07-10, 07:39 AM
I would suggest using Australian slang (obviously). Terms like "bush" and "scrub" to describe the general wilderness (replacing "Knowledge: Nature" with "Knowledge: Scrub" for instance). Call idiots a "drongo" (out of use), people who look stupid/dorky a "dag" (interesting etymology, that).

One thing you could do (as 'hinted' at earlier) is change class names - Ranger becomes Bushman, rogue into bushranger (seriously), Fighter into stockman, cleric into pastor/padre, that sort of thing.

Of course, whatever you do, make it all roughly the same. Nothing will grate more upon the ears than to have the people of one town say "Up yours, poofter" and another "Gan houzi bi diu shi".