PDA

View Full Version : How do I go around killing select members of a party?

SilverSheriff
2008-07-09, 06:40 AM
I just realised that I want to play an evil character that kills all of the other people's characters, the current game I'm in would be a perfect, me and one of the other characters are trying to eat one of the less flavorless characters (he's a Rogue) goat after he went to the pub, with the goat, and they both got drunk at a crucial moment in the plot.

He had recently stolen a pair of Boots and a cape off of a Brother of Hermod, allowing him to run extremely fast and fly for once an hour per day, since this made him the fastest we'd sent him to the local town to get something to salt the earth from the local wizard, who gave him basically a "Shaker of endless salt", he went to the pub after to get "one for the road" and ended up getting completely smashed to wake up the next day when a curse under the field would finally unleash a Dark Mage who'd been trapped underground for centuries, salt being the ingrediant needed to stop him escaping, he ran back to us as fast as he could with his goat slung over his shoulder and the shaker in his other hand, he busts through the door to the Farmhouse we were in saying "Salt" and then drops to the floor unconscious, the party Wizard flips the top of the Shaker and Salt just Bursts out (apparently your not supposed to open the lid, only shake :wink:) and conitnues to, covering everything in the room with salt.

"Oh crap"

the Wizard runs out to the point of the field that the Mage is bound whilst salt is still shooting out of the shaker, the Party Barbarian plows the field and the salt is just poured into the channels, finally binding the Dark Mage again (maybe for a bit longer this time:tongue:).

Me ,a Half-Elf Ranger named Palinthusian, and Awsun, the Half-Orc Barbarian who thinks he is a Dwarf (he is covered in spiked armor and just tackles, thrashes and dirty fights in combat), are always trying to eat the Goat, so while everyone is out (except me, the Goat and the Rogue) I started preparing to cook the Goat, starting with adding extra flavour first (Sage and Onions to an already Marinated goat :tongue:), then when I'm just about to skin it the Rogue wakes up and is all of a sudden angry at me for cooking a congratulatory Roast dinner, running at me with his +1 Dagger, I just side-step him but he turns around and snatches the goat with another try of stabbing me, I dodge it (easily) and the goat runs out of the Farmhouse, Sage and Onions falling out of it butt, he chases after it and takes it back to town for another drink... I go to tell Awsun about what we're going to be having for dinner now (Rations, again...:mad:).

anyway, we're currently in another dungeon, I'm going to try and kill the rest of the party and convince Awsun that I'm not the one that killed them, any Ideas how I should go around killing a Wizard, a Cleric of Garl Glittergold and a Halfling Rogue?

Xuincherguixe
2008-07-09, 06:46 AM
I'm generally against killing PCs. If you really want to do it though, frankly half the fun is coming up with ways of doing it yourself.

_Zoot_
2008-07-09, 06:49 AM
If your the groups cook, poision the food... I've considered doing that before:smallamused:

OR you could lead them into some sort of trap... but thats no fun

SilverSheriff
2008-07-09, 07:08 AM
If your the groups cook, poision the food... I've considered doing that before:smallamused:

OR you could lead them into some sort of trap... but thats no fun

unfortunately I'm not the Primary cook, I'm the Hunter, I hunt the food to eat, the Halfling is the cook, but he opts for not eating the goat, which everyone wants to do, I'll be taking a level of Scout Next level so I have some extra skill points which I will put into Cook (to out-class the Rogue) and Poisons making.

also, there might be a bit of a problem with Awsun: he was bitten by a Werewolf recently, nobody knows if he is infected or not... the reason I don't want to kill him is because everyone in the group looks up to him, even though he is clearly the dumbest member of the group (3 INT) and he is so damned strong, its liking fighting a Dinosaur (yes, he will eat you), a Dinosaur with spikes and Blades all over.

Conners
2008-07-09, 07:10 AM
You should've killed the rogue the moment he tried to dagger you, it would've been simple self-defence.

Ignoring that, however, you should wait till the halfling is smashed again, and then kill him. Or, you could just poison his liquor, if you like. With him down, take his stuff, for you could find being able to fly and run fast to be very useful.

After this, I think you should set-up some sort of trap to separate the wizard and cleric (I doubt you could take them both at once...).

A) If they know you've turned on them at this stage, fire arrows at them from a distance, then use your cape and cloak to fly/run away. Keep this up over and over, till you can get them into a trap or wear them down. You might want to hire mercenaries to supply you with a trap that can't get you.

B) If they are oblivious, you could simply lead them into a trap by convincing them to separate, "Look, there are three paths, let's split up," or lead them into a trap by pretending you are in danger, "Wizard! Cleric! HEEEELLP!!!", or should you get a really good situation, push the Cleric off a cliff, and then kill the wizard (he probably has Feather Fall, so don't bother pushing him off).

Should you successfully separate the two, sneak or rush the wizard--he supposedly is lousy in melee.

This a good strategy?

EDIT: Low Intelligence, you say? His Wisdom low too? You might be able to trick him into helping you, or simply trick him into not killing you once it's done.

The fact the party respects him and that he's stupid is great! If he and you are ever away, come back with some forged orders from him which will lead your "allies" into a trap.

_Zoot_
2008-07-09, 07:30 AM
The problem with geting forged orders is that i dont think that you can write with 3 int... But im not sure...

SilverSheriff
2008-07-09, 07:33 AM
The problem with getting forged orders is that i don't think that you can write with 3 int... But I'm not sure...

plus Barbarians are illiterate...

Capt'n Ironbrow
2008-07-09, 07:38 AM
My cleric of Morr (god of death and dreams), a Necromancer-hunter and undead slayer had to coöperate for a time with some vampires to defeat a Chaos Sorcerer who had built quite a cult underneath one of the major cities. One PC Vampire has recently changed alignment from Evil to Neutral, the other PC Vampire carried the Brother-soul to the Cleric's (a murder heir-apparent and his murderer and brother respectively). The cleric knew the vampire's 2nd spirit, the vampire was unaware of the clerics secret soul...
There was a cold war the whole adventure through, with mutual fear and respect. The vampires have the highest stats in the game for humanoid creatures under 10 feet, the cleric was decorated with relics (repels vampires) and a shield that undead better not touch (or they'll desintegrate) and had some anti-undead spells.

In the final climatic battle against the sorcerer, his champion minions and a whole horde of summoned deamons, the whole party and their henchmen (4 vampires, a halfling, 2 humans) died except the cleric, who apprehended the sorceror. All vampires were cataleptic, the human and halfling unconscious.

this is when the cleric made his move. He tied up the sorcerer (out of mana) and the decapacitated all vampires except for the neutral one.

so, if you're not sure when to strike your fellow party members without them finding out: do it when they're down!
;)

Conners
2008-07-09, 07:39 AM
plus Barbarians are illiterate... Ah, right. OK, then just do it by word of mouth. "The boss found a clan of bandits and rushed them! We have to get over there and help him before he's swarmed!" and then it turns out you promised the bandits the enemy PCs' stuff if they helped you slaughter them.

Aleron
2008-07-09, 07:51 AM
Simple, he dictated the orders to you and your just "Passing" them along. :)

Or, like Conners suggested, "forge" your own documents and convince him that the party is planning on killing him and that your just looking out for him. If he wants to survive he should help you take out the other party members. :)

_Zoot_
2008-07-09, 08:20 AM
Or, like Conners suggested, "forge" your own documents and convince him that the party is planning on killing him and that your just looking out for him. If he wants to survive he should help you take out the other party members. :)

That one is a really good one because if he has a wis to mach his int then he fall for it :smallamused:

SilverSheriff
2008-07-09, 08:34 AM
Ah, right. OK, then just do it by word of mouth. "The boss found a clan of bandits and rushed them! We have to get over there and help him before he's swarmed!" and then it turns out you promised the bandits the enemy PCs' stuff if they helped you slaughter them.

Awsun's speciality is swarm fighting, his only match so far was the werewolf that bit him. Awsun is a strong, fast, bandit killing machine, he's already done it and he rose to fame for splattering an ambush, the bandits were firing Arrows, Bolts and even charging at him with swords, he cuts them down by just standing there hoping a blade will decapitate them if they get too close. he also has a strength somewhere in the late twenties.

Conners
2008-07-09, 08:37 AM
Awsun's speciality is swarm fighting, his only watch so far was the werewolf that bit him. Awsun is a strong, fast, bandit killing machine, he's already done it and he rose to fame for splattering an ambush, the bandits were firing Arrows, Bolts and even charging at him with swords, he cuts them down by just standing there hoping a blade will decapitate them if the get too close. he also has a strenght somewhere in the late twenties. Wow.... That was just an example though, by the way.

Jayabalard
2008-07-09, 09:40 AM
I just realised that I want to play an evil character that kills all of the other people's characters,So, is this sort of thing going to be all fun and games to the people you game with? Since one of the people you plan to kill is a cleric of a NG deity, it seems unlikely that you're playing a purely evil campaign where this sort of behavior would be acceptable.

I mention this because there's a special circle of hell reserved for asshats that like to screw up other people's fun; you don't want to do that now, do you?

Tallis
2008-07-09, 10:12 AM
Agreed, don't do it unless you're sure your fellow gamers will be okay with it. You don't want to create bad feelings in the group.

If you are going to do it you'll need to seperate people. The cleric should go in his sleep. He's likely to be unarmored or at least more lightly armored. Use a weapon that the group doesn't know you have, better yet use the rogue's weapon and plant some of the cleric's stuff in his packs. Hopefully the wizard and the barbarian will help you defeat him. The wizard could fall in battle when you fail to stop an enemy from getting to him at a crucial moment, or be the victim of an unfortunate cave-in. Once the rogue is gone you could poison his food (goat?). Don't fight him directly if you can avoid it, just let him have an accident...

SilverSheriff
2008-07-09, 10:32 AM
So, is this sort of thing going to be all fun and games to the people you game with? Since one of the people you plan to kill is a cleric of a NG deity, it seems unlikely that you're playing a purely evil campaign where this sort of behavior would be acceptable.

I mention this because there's a special circle of hell reserved for asshats that like to screw up other people's fun; you don't want to do that now, do you?

The Cleric is a boring asshat of a character who hates his own kind, thinking that they are too quirky ("Gnomes are supposed to be quirky, you are a Gnome, be Quirky!"), his player always plays the Lawful Good Stereo-type that hates anything different to him yet still tries to keep a modern day opinion of the world. "Equality this and everyone is welcome in the temple of Glittergold tha-HEY There is a Lizard Folk over there! LETS KILL IT!"

the Halfling is probably doomed anyway, I mean, he met Loki because he stole Hermod's boots for god sake and he got drunk and he destroyed the only invisibility cloak we had (the cloak he has now is a cursed item, he can't take it off, it has many upsides that have not been 100% explored yet, yeah thats right, he tried to keep the invisibility cloak on when his current one got jealous and burned it, I could have used that cloak...:mad:), he also tried to steal a portal to a different Dimension away from us while we trying to get into it before we got eaten by Lolth's Spider minions, I had to punch him in the face just to get it back and place it down on the floor pushing everyone else in just as the spiders were coming round the corner, then jump in myself.

the Wizard I don't really have many problems with, except he'd kill me if he found out that I was the one killing of party members, although I could probably persuade him that I had a good reason.

Burley
2008-07-09, 10:50 AM
The Cleric is a boring asshat of a character who hates his own kind, thinking that they are too quirky ("Gnomes are supposed to be quirky, you are a Gnome, be Quirky!"), his player always plays the Lawful Good Stereo-type that hates anything different to him yet still tries to keep a modern day opinion of the world. "Equality this and everyone is welcome in the temple of Glittergold tha-HEY There is a Lizard Folk over there! LETS KILL IT!"

the Halfling is probably doomed anyway, I mean, he met Loki because he stole Hermod's boots for god sake and he got drunk and he destroyed the only invisibility cloak we had (the cloak he has now is a cursed item, he can't take it off, it has many upsides that have not been 100% explored yet, yeah thats right, he tried to keep the invisibility cloak on when his current one got jealous and burned it, I could have used that cloak...:mad:), he also tried to steal a portal to a different Dimension away from us while we trying to get into it before we got eaten by Lolth's Spider minions, I had to punch him in the face just to get it back and place it down on the floor pushing everyone else in just as the spiders were coming round the corner, then jump in myself.

the Wizard I don't really have many problems with, except he'd kill me if he found out that I was the one killing of party members, although I could probably persuade him that I had a good reason.

So, basically, you don't like the way the other players are playing THEIR OWN characters, so you're going to knife their characters until they conform to your ideals of RPing? This is not a good plan. It is, in fact, a bad plan. It is a bad plan, because, after you kill party members, you won't have enough people in the group to carry on in the campaign, and you'll be chaotic evil, and your GM will probably drop you/the game.
You need to do one of these two things:
1) Talk to your fellow party members, individually, if possible. Inform them that you would have a little more fun if X,Y, or Z happened. Let them know that you are thinking about ruining their fun, and ask how they feel about that.
-OR-
2) Prepare yourself to lose your friends, because, if you do this, you will lose friends.

Have fun, though.

JeminiZero
2008-07-09, 10:56 AM
The way you put it, the cleric doesn't sound that boring.

Also, something like this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4548768&postcount=55) may happen to the halfling if he keeps it up. And why does he bring the Goat around anyway?

valadil
2008-07-09, 11:39 AM
First and foremost, you need to make sure the other players are okay with this kind of play. Most DnD players I've encountered assume that the party itself is inherently safe and don't take it well when other players break that assumption. Basically your group needs to know if lethal infighting is okay or not.

That said, the important thing about killing the party is not getting caught. If it's you against them, them is gonna win. You however can win you vs him, you vs her, you vs different him, etc. What you have to do is single out individuals and get them away from the group, then stab first.

What I've found works even better is getting someone else to do the killing for you. My party had a boss fight and we were losing bad. I told them I was going for help, and dim doored away, bringing the wounded wizard with me. The fight was dangerous enough with a full party, but without 2 key PCs it was a lost cause. Incidentally this also let me single out the wizard (though I didn't kill him).

Something like that only works once though. And if the group lives, they won't take you back (though you could be more subtle, like feigning unconsciousness mid fight). In another game I was in I played a halfling rogue. There was a half demon in the party who was uber lawful and hated himself for his ancestry. His player kept metagaming whenever I'd go pillaging, and he'd always find out. Because the GM wouldn't step in and intervene, I needed to handle things myself. My character went to confessional, and happily told the nice clerics that he'd been adventuring with an evil demon. He didn't want to help this vile creature, but he couldn't stand up for it either. Here's the beast's hotel room key. Granted, the PC beat back the swat team of paladins, but it was still a fun solution.

I'd suggest something like that last scenario. Sell out your group. Find some cutthroats. Tell them you hate the people you're traveling with, and if they kill them for you they can keep your party's loot. Tell them your destination or give them a way to scry on you, and then let them have their way with the party during your shift on the night watch. Whether you want to help them with the killing, or volunteer to get tied up so it won't look so bad is entirely up to you.

Jayabalard
2008-07-09, 12:44 PM
The Cleric is a boring <snip>
the Halfling is probably doomed anyway, <snip> the Wizard I don't really have many problems with, except he'd kill me if he found out that I was the one killing of party members, although I could probably persuade him that I had a good reason.How, exactly, killing your party help any of these in any way? All it does is end the current campaign, and you can do so in a much easier way... all you have to do is stop playing, and from your perspective the campaign is over.

I mean, if someone pulled this in a game I was DMing, they'd be gone ... "Rocks fall, <disruptive player's character's name> dies" and we'd reboot the campaign to a time before the psycho player had started disrupting it, only this time without the disruptive player.

SilverSheriff
2008-07-09, 01:23 PM
How, exactly, killing your party help any of these in any way? All it does is end the current campaign, and you can do so in a much easier way... all you have to do is stop playing, and from your perspective the campaign is over.

I mean, if someone pulled this in a game I was DMing, they'd be gone ... "Rocks fall, <disruptive player's character's name> dies" and we'd reboot the campaign to a time before the psycho player had started disrupting it, only this time without the disruptive player.

I'll have to ask my DM what he thinks about Team-Killers, I'll beat around the bush a little but honestly, he's a pretty cool guy; I think he'd laugh, Awsun's player has quite a few tales about the evil things he's done, the Wizard plays characters that con people into their own death.

its the Rogue and the Cleric that would probably take it personally, the Cleric was getting up tight when we were teasing (OOC) that he had just conned Awsun, who only understands money as "Shiny things", out of a Black Pearl that was worth a bucket load more than 10 silver pieces.

If I can actually roleplay this right I think it will all run smooth...

:EDIT: by the way, I don't think a game would just abruptly end if I killed 2 or 3 characters or "Rocks fall >You< (me) die, everyone but >you< (yet again, me) is teleported to the start of this dungeon with no memory of you, anything to do with you or what just happened.", talk about temper tantrums.:confused:

Jayabalard
2008-07-09, 03:36 PM
its the Rogue and the Cleric that would probably take it personally,Then it sounds like a bad idea.

:EDIT: by the way, I don't think a game would just abruptly end if I killed 2 or 3 characters The game would end because all of the other characters are dead, so the story continuity is pretty much gone, and it's highly likely that the other players will no longer be interested in the campaign; they'll be interested in getting revenge on you. Even if they don't, the players are likely to never trust you (the player) again, which is detrimental to any game that you play after that.

About the only way that you can make that work is if you are upfront with the other players and GM and everyone is ok with making that kind of change to your campaign.

or "Rocks fall >You< (me) die, everyone but >you< (yet again, me) is teleported to the start of this dungeon with no memory of you, anything to do with you or what just happened.", talk about temper tantrums.:confused:There's no anger involved, so that wouldn't qualify as a temper tantrum. Dispassionately removing a problem player is infinitely preferable to letting a problem player disrupt a game.

Waspinator
2008-07-09, 11:33 PM
I suggest selling out your party members as traitorous mutant Communists to the Computer.

/Paranoia

SilverSheriff
2008-07-10, 12:16 AM
I suggest selling out your party members as traitorous mutant Communists to the Computer.

/Paranoia

I love Paranoia....:amused:

new1965
2008-07-10, 11:12 AM
unfortunately I'm not the Primary cook, I'm the Hunter, I hunt the food to eat, the Halfling is the cook, but he opts for not eating the goat, which everyone wants to do, I'll be taking a level of Scout Next level so I have some extra skill points which I will put into Cook (to out-class the Rogue) and Poisons making.

If you are the hunter... catch something that wont need a lot of time on a cooking fire (like some sort of fowl) and poison your catch before you hand it over for cooking. Fill your water skin with a neutralize poison and sit down and enjoy the meal