PDA

View Full Version : Oracle's gender (Origin of PCs, SoD spoilers)

hamishspence
2008-07-09, 07:32 AM
This is based on an oddity in the aforementioned book.
When discussing how they found out Where Xykon was based, Durkon says "Aye, the oracle was most helpful when you "prodded" her properly" and Roy replies "what can I say, I just have a gift"

While it is possible they are speaking of another oracle, we know from the main strip that the Sunken Valley Oracle was asked "where is Xykon" gave a snarky reply, and was hung out of a window to coerce him/her into giving up more info.

Which gives two possibilities: it is another oracle, or its the same one. If it is the same one, it could be resolved by the two not being good at telling kobold genders apart, or it could be intentional.

If it is intentional, that might suggest that the name of the village is metaphorical.

So what do you think is more likely: different oracle, or same one? If same one: is it female, or are Roy and Durkon just bad at identifying female kobolds? Yokyok had a mustache, but Yikyik didn't.

SoD Spoiler:
Which raises interesting questions, considering what the oracle claimed to predict getting to "second base" with a "hot kobold chick" during conversation with Eugene.

Ninja
2008-07-09, 07:33 AM
he said somewhere scoring with grendel's hot mom.... i just think they don;t know the difference.. i always thought of the O as a him.....

Aquillion
2008-07-09, 07:38 AM
Memory lapse spell. Remember? They don't remember anything about their visit... including the oracle's gender. Presumably, they simply filled in the blanks (sometimes incorrectly.)

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-09, 07:40 AM
I think Aquillion is right (no one could remember what specise he was either, so it wouldn't be surprising if they forgot his sex as well).

hamishspence
2008-07-09, 07:40 AM
good point: maybe oracle is always remembered as both same race and gender of rememberer's choice.

Chaman
2008-07-09, 08:51 AM
Do you remember the name of the town?

I mean... girls have no...
orange nor otherwise.

anyway, just my two copper pices.

cheesecake
2008-07-09, 09:12 AM
How can you even ask this question?

"LICKMYORANGEBALLS HALFLING"

"I just got to second base with a hot kobold chick"

When leaving the valley everyone sees there own verison of the Oracle in minds eye.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-07-09, 09:16 AM
Memory lapse spell. Remember? They don't remember anything about their visit... including the oracle's gender. Presumably, they simply filled in the blanks (sometimes incorrectly.)

Then how did they remember "prodding" the Oracle?

hamishspence
2008-07-09, 09:19 AM
I suppose they could be talking about another oracle, to whom the first oracle sent them, but it seems a little implausible.

Chaman
2008-07-09, 09:40 AM
actually NVM

Faramir
2008-07-09, 09:55 AM

Everyone remembers something about the oracle, but it's all different. I've been assuming that that extends to the nature of the interaction as well as his appearance.

Reed
2008-07-09, 10:17 AM

As far as I see, they don't. In comic 329 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0329.html), Roy actually wonders why he got 3 answers instead of 2, so he only remembers the answers and not what he did to get them. The flashback we see seems the be the oracle's recollection.

NerfTW
2008-07-09, 12:24 PM
He remembers "prodding" the Oracle, because he remembers getting two questions instead of one, and his mind is filling in the details of how he managed that. Just like everyone filled in the details of what species the Oracle was.

TempusCCK
2008-07-09, 11:45 PM
In the comic after they first visit the oracle, not in OoPC, they're all arguing about what the Oracle was, a Blind Elf, a Beautiful Women, so on, so forth.

Kato
2008-07-10, 02:03 AM
I always observed him as male, kinda... though I'm not so deep into kobold anatomy... But when they disturbed him while bathing he had the towel only around his lower parts, so... ^^'
And don't forget (look at sig)! Girls don't have balls ^^'

concerning the discussion about the memory charm... They can not remember, what the oracle is, neither sex nor race. Usually they seem to think of their own race and something suiting their myths. And also every talking which was not explicitely given as answers to the questions is erased. Though... Dunno, what happens, if one should die in the Sunken Valley.