PDA

View Full Version : 4e: NonPHB1 Power Source names?

wodan46
2008-07-09, 10:21 AM
So far, Martial Powers are Exploits, Divine Powers are Prayers, and Arcane Powers are Spells.

What do people think the Primal, Ki, Elemental, Psionic, and Shadow powers will be referred to as? Any ideas?

Tengu
2008-07-09, 10:23 AM
Ki: Jutsu. Please don't hurt me.

JeminiZero
2008-07-09, 10:26 AM
Well, there is Ignorance (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0558.html). Edit: and Caffeine, most of modern society relies on the magic brew.

Elemental: Might vary on base Element.
Psionic: Powers?
Shadow: Maybe Tricks? Maybe Stunts?

Edit: Egads, I've editted this so many times I've lost count

wodan46
2008-07-09, 10:39 AM
Computer Programmer
Power Source: Caffeine
Caffeine based Powers are referred to as Codes
Class Features: Compile, Obscenity

LoopyZebra
2008-07-09, 10:47 AM
Invocations sound cool and could easily be the name for one of them. Maybe elemental or shadow?

Blackfang108
2008-07-09, 10:48 AM
Computer Programmer
Power Source: Caffeine
Caffeine based Powers are referred to as Codes
Class Features: Compile, Obscenity

*laughs incessantly*

I like it!

Edit:

Primal: Rage, Anger, Smash
Ki: Jutsu is all I can think of.
Elemental: Probably by element
Shadow: Darkness

Tengu
2008-07-09, 10:50 AM
Invocations sound cool and could easily be the name for one of them. Maybe elemental or shadow?

Probably Elemental. Shadow will be powered by Angst and its powers will be called Broodings.

wodan46
2008-07-09, 10:55 AM
Here's my bets
Elemental: Invocation
Shadow: Weaving
Primal: Summon
Ki: Kata
Psionic: Trick? Warp? Pulse?

LoopyZebra
2008-07-09, 10:58 AM
Here's my bets
Elemental: Invocation
Shadow: Weaving
Primal: Summon
Ki: Kata
Psionic: Trick? Warp? Pulse?

Shadow weaving sounds cool, but I think it's a little Forgotten Realms heavy (with the Shadow Weave and all). Also, 3.5 Forgotten Realms, given the changes. :)

I think they mentioned barbarians get their powers from totems. Maybe chants for primal?

SamTheCleric
2008-07-09, 11:13 AM
I don't think Primal will be "Summons"... since the Barbarian will be Primal.

wodan46
2008-07-09, 11:15 AM
Barbarian summoning the strength and fury of the wild in order to Rage makes sense to me. Chant seems too spellcasty for Barbarians.

Quellian-dyrae
2008-07-09, 11:22 AM
I'd go with gift or talent for psionic. The word sutra is hovering in my head for a credible ki power name. Didn't shadowcasters in 3.5 use the term mystery? Maybe channel or channeling for primal, although that seems like it would better fit the action (i.e. "casting")..."first level daily channel"...meh, could work. I'd agree with invocation for elemental, assuming they are summoning elements. If they are altering existing elements, I'd go with command.

I think they mentioned barbarians get their powers from totems. Maybe chants for primal?

EDIT: Actually, after going back and seeing this, maybe totem would be better for primal. Might not fit in the classic sense, but "first level daily totem" sounds cooler to me than "first level daily channel".

MammonAzrael
2008-07-09, 11:43 AM
What we've got so far:

Elemental: Invocation, Command
Ki: Kata, Jutsu, Sutra
Primal: Summon, Chants, Anger, Rage, Smash, Channel, Totems
Psionic: Trick, Warp, Pulse, Powers, Gift, Talent
Shadow: Weaving, Darkness, Tricks, Stunts, Mystery

Personally:

Elemental: Channel seems like it could fit here, since Elementalists will be calling upon the power of the Elemental Chaos, and channeling it to their use.

Ki: I like Kata better, but Jutsu seems more likely. Maybe Meditations.

Primal: Chants and Totems are the two that sound the best. Harmonies, maybe?

Psionic: Powers (why would they change it?)

Shadow: Mysteries seems most likely, though Weaving does sound cool.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-09, 12:19 PM
Psionic might be Manifestations.

skywalker
2008-07-09, 12:29 PM
I've bolded my personal preferences:

What we've got so far:

Elemental: Invocation, Command
Ki: Kata, Jutsu, Sutra
Primal: Summon, Chants, Anger, Rage, Smash, Channel, Totems
Psionic: Trick, Warp, Pulse, Powers, Gift, Talent
Shadow: Weaving, Darkness, Tricks, Stunts, Mystery I don't think any of those ki options are gonna be it. Kata maybe. But honestly, sutra roughly means "proverb," kata means "form," essentially, and jutsu is "method." I don't think any of those work out. They're gonna run out of good words if they keep coming out with new power sources.

Psionic: Powers (why would they change it?) Because everyone gets "powers" now?

Human Paragon 3
2008-07-09, 02:24 PM
Why not simply "Forms" for the ki powers? Or Manuevers? Styles might be cool too, and, of course, the asian-tastic versions of them, though I think limiting 'ki' powers to asian-themed characters seems limiting.

Mewtarthio
2008-07-09, 02:33 PM
I don't think any of those ki options are gonna be it. Kata maybe. But honestly, sutra roughly means "proverb," kata means "form," essentially, and jutsu is "method." I don't think any of those work out. They're gonna run out of good words if they keep coming out with new power sources.

Something tells me that WotC is far more likely to just grab something Asian-sounding. We'll be lucky if they don't call them "haikus."

Why not simply "Forms" for the ki powers? Or Manuevers? Styles might be cool too, and, of course, the asian-tastic versions of them, though I think limiting 'ki' powers to asian-themed characters seems limiting.

That's the funny thing about limitations, isn't it?

Anyway, ki will almost certainly be pseudo-Asian in flavor, because otherwise, there'd be nothing to differentiate it from the martial power source.

hamishspence
2008-07-09, 02:43 PM
2nd ed had "devotions" for psionic monsters. Hauns.

Arioch
2008-07-09, 02:59 PM
Something tells me that WotC is far more likely to just grab something Asian-sounding. We'll be lucky if they don't call them "haikus."

Your foe approaches.
You delve into your jutsus
And unleash fury

Blocking an attack
You turn it upon your foe
And disable him

Darkness now descends
Yet your command of katas
Keeps you from all harm
(Utility Power)

Calling on your ki
You attack with a flurry
Of deadly daggers

And so on.
And I thought 'totems' would be a good name for primal powers.

Dhavaer
2008-07-09, 04:25 PM
Your foe approaches.
You delve into your jutsus
And unleash fury

Blocking an attack
You turn it upon your foe
And disable him

Darkness now descends
Yet your command of katas
Keeps you from all harm
(Utility Power)

Calling on your ki
You attack with a flurry
Of deadly daggers

And so on.
And I thought 'totems' would be a good name for primal powers.

Here, have this:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e100/Dhavaer/1165728473854.jpg