PDA

View Full Version : Why Belkar hates kobolds (theory)

Bayar
2008-07-09, 12:42 PM
We all know Belkar hates everyone, but he has a special hate towards kobolds. (source (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0044.html)).

Maybe he hates them because they are similar in size to a halfling.
Maybe because they have a higher base land speed than other small creatures.
maybe because they are scaly.

Or maybe because his name is Belkar Bitterleaf.

Was browsing different D&D books for obscure alchemical substances, when I came across "Bitterleaf Oil" from Races of the Dragon. It is a substance that prevents kobolds from shedding.

And if we go with the general "halfling surenames are usually tied to a trait or something that THAT particular family was famous for", would saying that Belkar's family would have been making Bitterleaf oil for kobolds for generations be a stretch ? And would saying that Belkar didnt want to do that because he hated the stuff be a bigger stretch ?

Comment...

ArmorArmadillo
2008-07-09, 12:50 PM
I don't think Belkar hates kobolds. I mean, he does, but not especially.

Belkar hates everything, and everyone, and murders everything, and everyone.
Hate of a specific creature type requires a level of emotional depth that can sustain specific feelings toward a group. Belkar has no emotional depth.

Kobolds are just nice and eye-level for him.

Dohmaker
2008-07-09, 12:54 PM
I'm pretty sure he hates them more because he has a +1 bonus against kobolds

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-09, 12:56 PM
That theory about Bitterleaf oil is interresting. I assumed the name was just a reference to him being an angry Ranger (apart from the fact that Belkar doesn't appear to care about nature at all, which doesn't fit with his class).

Threeshades
2008-07-09, 01:16 PM
I'm pretty sure he hates them more because he has a +1 bonus against kobolds

That he got where?

Lunaya
2008-07-09, 01:19 PM
I like this theory. Belkar did make a point to say that he hates kobolds. We know very little about his backstory and if bayar's right then it gives us a nice little hint.

Calabask
2008-07-09, 01:45 PM
I think the theory has a good amount of logic to it, and may very well be why the Belkster has a burning hatred for kobolds.

hamishspence
2008-07-09, 01:48 PM
maybe the writers of Races of the Dragon decided to add Belkar's name in to the oil, since it came out after OOTS. Or, it could be that bitterleaf oil goes back further than 3.5.

Bayar
2008-07-09, 02:05 PM
maybe the writers of Races of the Dragon decided to add Belkar's name in to the oil, since it came out after OOTS. Or, it could be that bitterleaf oil goes back further than 3.5.

Yeah, I was considering this theory as well...

David Argall
2008-07-09, 02:31 PM
There is no particular reason to think this theory true, but, unlike a number of theories around here, also no particular reason to think it false either.

hamishspence
2008-07-09, 02:39 PM
The question would be: how probable is it, that the writer would be readers of OOTS? and are there any mentions of bitteleaf oil prior to RotD?

And, is there a bitterleaf in the real world: would it be more likely that they got the idea from that?

A few things to consider before coming to any conclusions about the theory the RotD writers were influenced by OOTS.

Occasional Sage
2008-07-09, 02:43 PM
The question would be: how probable is it, that the writer would be readers of OOTS? and are there any mentions of bitteleaf oil prior to RotD?

And, is there a bitterleaf in the real world: would it be more likely that they got the idea from that?

A few things to consider before coming to any conclusions about the theory the RotD writers were influenced by OOTS.

You and your logic! Really, if we applied intellectual rigor to everything we said and did, where would that get us?!

Ninja
2008-07-09, 02:49 PM
well, there is nothing to say otherwise, so this theory is possible....

Bayar
2008-07-09, 02:49 PM
You and your logic! Really, if we applied intellectual rigor to everything we said and did, where would that get us?!

To the conclusion that V was male as originally intended, Sabine being a succubi, Belkar having a CE allignment ...

hamishspence
2008-07-09, 02:50 PM
"We are the Borg. Resistance is futile"
or maybe
"Infinite diversity in infinite combinations"

Depending on how optimistic or pessimistic you are :smallbiggrin:

Lunaya
2008-07-09, 02:53 PM

According to the dictionary:

bit·ter·leaf

bit·ter·leaf
n
West Africa cooking botany Same as ndole

[B]n·dole

n·dole [ən dṓlee]
n
West Africa African soup ingredient: in African cuisine, a plant that must be scraped to remove bitter juice before being sliced, parboiled, and then cooked in stews and soup

[< a Cameroon language, perhaps Duala]
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Interpret as you will. :P

Zorn
2008-07-09, 05:45 PM
There is no particular reason to think this theory true, but, unlike a number of theories around here, also no particular reason to think it false either.

How very helpful. :smallbiggrin: You're right, though; this theory has some merit.

Personally I agree with Tempest. The name Bitterleaf was chosen because it reflected both Belkar's personality and class. The fact that it was a real word was a nice touch but not really relevant. I am wondering, however, if there's a connection between the definition Lunaya provided and Belkar's ability to cook meals, namely stew (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0475.html). The definition of the word bitterleaf may very well have been an influence in the creation of that scene.

Hamishpence pointed out that Races of the Dragon came out after OotS emerged. If there is a connection, then, it most likely means that something was taken from the comic and not the other way around. While the use of Bitterleaf Oil doesn't mean anything in itself, it's specific application to kobolds is a very strange coincidence...

mikeejimbo
2008-07-09, 06:04 PM
Don't Kobolds need to shed?

Lizard Lord
2008-07-09, 06:22 PM
Belkar may be different then other halflings in allot of ways, but his hatred for kobolds could come from the fact that he is indeed a halfling.

Besides that, most kobolds most likely hate Belkar simply because he is a halfling. It only makes sense for someone like Belkar to want to return the favor.

Kish
2008-07-09, 06:32 PM
I think Belkar hates kobolds because they're sapient creatures who are not Belkar.

EponymousKid
2008-07-09, 09:36 PM
He's just a racist. He doesn't care much for humans, elves, dwarves, or even other halflings, either.

Wait.. no, he jsut hates everybody. And Kobolds happen to fall under that perview.

Swashbuckler
2008-07-09, 10:04 PM
Do we have conclusive proof anywhere in the comics as to what Belkar's chosen "racial enemy" would be? If not, I'd have to assume either kobolds or hobgoblins -- heavily leaning on the kobs.

Fitzclowningham
2008-07-09, 11:23 PM
I think "Bitterleaf" sounds like a good name for an evil halfling. It rolls off the tongue like "Broadfoot", but it has menace. There's nothing more to it than that.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-07-09, 11:36 PM
I think Belkar hates kobolds because they're sapient creatures who are not Belkar.
That's an unfair generalization!
He hates them because they're sapient creatures who are not Belkar and who do not have boobs.

King of Nowhere
2008-07-10, 04:28 AM
He hates them because they're sapient creatures who are not Belkar and who do not have boobs.
That could be the most insightful comment on Belkar ever.

EponymousKid
2008-07-10, 06:47 AM
Objection! If Belkar ever met someone else named Belkar (who would thus "be Belkar"), he would probably kill them immediately.

So, he hates sapient (and semi-sapient, and non-sapient) creatures who are not he, himself, the halfling ranger affiliated with the Order of the Stick commonly referred to as Belkar Bitterleaf.

Then again, there is some evidence to suggest that Belkar does indeed hate himself...

Eric
2008-07-10, 12:13 PM

Aye, like Miko having been intended Mrs Greenhilt!:smallfurious:

zing :smallbiggrin:

Eric
2008-07-10, 12:15 PM
Don't Kobolds need to shed?

Not if they have a gazebo.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-10, 12:31 PM
Swashbuckler, I think it's the only evidence that Kobolds are one of Belkar's favoured enemies comes from the fact that he said he hated them. It's assumed from how effective he is against humans and Goblinoids that they are also on his FE list (there isn't really any hard evidence, though; Belkar would probably have everything as FEs if he could).

B.I.T.T.
2008-07-10, 01:29 PM
I always figured he hated kobold because they were kobold. Kind of like why I hate avacados because they're avacados.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-10, 01:39 PM
Why do you hate avocados, though? There must be a reason for it (to be fair, Belkar appears to hate pretty much everyone exacpt for Shojo, Mr. scruffy and, possibly, Elan).

Ascension
2008-07-10, 01:40 PM
Didn't he specifically mention favored enemy bonuses when he was slaughtering hobbos in the battle for Azure City? I'll have to go back and check...

Timberboar
2008-07-10, 03:12 PM
That he got where?

Ranger class feature: Favored Enemy.

Holammer
2008-07-10, 03:47 PM
It may hap that Belkar is a paladin of a long standing order of proud Halflings vowing eternal battle against the Kobold menace... Ye right.

The oil thing seems like the best explanation we have :smallamused:

IntOblivion
2008-07-10, 04:06 PM
Yeah... right... Except for the simple facts that Belkar is neither lawful, nor good.

BUt we all enjoy seeing him hate basically everyone, right? :smallbiggrin:

Roupe
2008-07-10, 10:10 PM
I like the bitter leaf oil idea,

My two cents in additon to the oil
They are short -which makes them less threatening and easier to kill (no size advantage or penalties against them).

Lizard Lord
2008-07-10, 10:30 PM
Let me rephase my previous post.

It is largely agreed that belkar hates everyone. However, due to the tension between kobolds and halflings, it is likely that most kobolds hate him before they even get know him (at which point they may very well have a right to hate him). Hatred breeds hatred or, in Belkars case,. even more hatred.

the_last_samurai
2008-07-10, 11:33 PM
Dammit, I had a reeeally lengthy, well-written reply, and the damned server logged me out and ERASED IT. It had references and quotations and everything....

Oh well. Suffice to say that Belkar is a masochistic midget member of the Borg with a particular hate for the color orange. Insert random movie reference, insert kudos for person who originally referenced Star Trek.

*sigh*... It just isn't the same...

Arlynos
2008-07-10, 11:44 PM
Maybe it is because Kobolds suck so bad as characters that he just sees them as bountiful pieces of XP that will help him get higher levels quicker? Or he hates them because they are ugly.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-11, 12:58 AM
What gave you the idea that Belkar is a mashocist, last_samurai? I'd say he's basically a sadist due to his liove of inflicting pain on other people, but I don't think he likes pain at all.