PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Rate my Inspiring Warlord

skywalker
2008-07-09, 01:09 PM
So, I've created my first 4e character and would like some opinions on him, powerful, not powerful, possible problems you see, etc. I'm especially looking for a better feat, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Half-Elf Inspiring Warlord
STR: 14
CON: 12
DEX: 14
INT: 14
WIS: 14
CHA: 16

Feat: Light Step

Powers:
At-Will: Furious Smash, Wolf-Pack Tactics
Encounter: Hammer and Anvil, Thunderwave(Half-Elf Dilettante)
Daily: Bastion of Defense

I've already played this guy so I can't change any of this stuff(except maybe the feat, I haven't used it yet so I can probably get by), but I can plan for the future, and there's always retraining.
There's only one defender in the party and he's a less than stellar one at that, I'm having to try and be a poor man's defender, which is why I picked mainly healing and shifting powers. There are three strikers, which is why I picked Hammer and Anvil(sneak attack for the rogue). I guess I could've picked a better power for Half-Elf Dilettante, but honestly I'm not sure what it is, any ideas? I'm probably going to be playing a lot of half-elves so advice in this regard would be great.

First level experience has shown me that the defender and my warlord are going down the most often, which means level 2 will probably bring heavy armor and either "Aid the Injured" or "Shake it Off."

It probably would've been better to go Tactical Warlord with this party makeup(fighter, rogue, two warlocks, wizard, me) so that we kill things quickly, because eventually no amount of hit points or AC is going to save us. Too late now. What do you guys think?

Tengu
2008-07-09, 01:17 PM
Any reasons you need such high Dex and Wis?

Rememeber that armor feats have stat prerequesites. Prerequesites that you do not meet (you lack 13 Con for scale armor proficiency).

For feat, I suggest either one of human racial feats (they really are that good), or Inspired Recovery.

skywalker
2008-07-09, 02:45 PM
Any reasons you need such high Dex and Wis?

Rememeber that armor feats have stat prerequesites. Prerequesites that you do not meet (you lack 13 Con for scale armor proficiency).

For feat, I suggest either one of human racial feats (they really are that good), or Inspired Recovery.

I'm the party's socialite(I mean, as far as players go, I'm the only one you don't have to force to talk to NPCs), so the high WIS is to boost my insight a bit. The high DEX, I planned before I realized that INT adds to AC in light armor. Is scale really worth the feat? I've already got chain proficiency, altho scale is a +2 improvement over my current AC(16) whereas chain is only a +1. Also, scale doesn't have the movement penalty. Is it really worth the feat?

I like what you're saying about the human/inspired recovery feats. Not sure why I skipped those the first time. Probably didn't realize bonuses to saving throws were a good thing.

Tengu
2008-07-09, 02:52 PM
Ah, I thought you want to take an armor proficiency feat at level 2. +1 to AC at the cost of a feat is generally worth it in 4e, but you'd have to meet the prerequesites. But if you do meet them... scale armor is pretty much worth it. Especially at paragon levels - Scale Armor Superiority not only gives you additional +1 AC, but also lets you wear it without losing speed.

Narthon the Bold
2008-07-09, 02:59 PM
What about heavy shield proficiency instead, for a +1 to reflex and AC?

Tengu
2008-07-09, 03:12 PM
15 Strength. He'd need to wait for level 4 with it.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-09, 07:45 PM
It should be noted that Scale really is that much better. It has no armor check penalty (which surprised me when I saw it!). It does have the movement penalty though. Note that Armor Check Penalties apply to Endurance (resisting diseases and such) and Athletics, both of which might be useful for a Warlord. Note that Hide Armor does have an Armor Check Penalty.

Your Dex and Int are unreasonably high, but there's not much you can do with it. Most of your powers require you to get in and mix it up with enemies, so a high Strength is necessary to actually get utility out of those powers. A 14 STR is OK, but a 16 would really have been ideal, and you could have shaved a point off of INT (and two off of Dex) to do it. Honestly, Tactical Warlords are the only ones who should be in light armor, if you wanted to be optimal.

Since you like having the high WIS, a better dilettante power might be one of the cleric ones. In particular, Sacred Flame (PHB 63) grants an ally temporary HP or a free saving throw if it hits, and it is ranged. Other good powers are Paladin powers, due to your high CHA. I've always liked Bolstering Strike (PHB 92) since it gives you free temporary HP when you hit - and it rolls off of CHA to boot!

namo
2008-07-10, 06:36 AM
You should really increase your Str to 16 as others have said.

As for feats, aside from those mentioned: Toughness is never bad and it will help you keep fighting. Multiclass feats can be interesting (Warlock for a Cha vs Will power for instance...).

DizzyD
2008-07-10, 09:06 AM
Honestly, Tactical Warlords are the only ones who should be in light armor, if you wanted to be optimal.

Why? how does being in light armor optimize a tactical warlord?

Tengu
2008-07-10, 09:17 AM
A tactical warlord worth his salt will have at least 16 intelligence at level 1. It gives him the same AC in hide armor and chainmail, but with higher mobility in hide armor.

Corrin
2008-07-10, 09:19 AM
Because a Tactical Warlord is going to have an awesome Int score for his abilities/powers (Int 18, Str 16 at level 1 for mine), which can stack with his light armor to make his AC better than it would be in chain/scale. You, on the other hand, don't have that much use for Int/Dex, so why not dump-stat them a bit and get heavy armor?

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-10, 09:19 AM
Why? how does being in light armor optimize a tactical warlord?

1) Tactical Warlords use high INT
2) INT provides an AC bonus if you wear Light Armor

So, a Chainmail wearing Tactical Warlord with INT 16 has a +6 AC modifier, while the same Warlord wearing Hide Armor also has a +6 AC modifier and +1 Speed. Additionally, when you improve your INT, you can end up with a higher AC as a free bonus.

If, on the other hand, you go for Scale Mail, you'll need high STR and CON and to spend a Feat. Ultimately, that's worth +7 AC.

EDIT: Gah, Double Ninja'd! They have flanking :smalleek:

DizzyD
2008-07-10, 10:17 AM
I keep forgetting taht int stacks if your wearing light armor.... makes since now. Thanks everyone.

skywalker
2008-07-10, 10:48 AM
I'm sorry, I should've made myself clearer. I didn't get these stats from a point buy. These are the rolls I got, plus the two racial ability increases(CON and CHA). So altho I would've loved to have a 16 STR, I cannot. I had a choice to either half-dump CON(saved by the ability score, and I really didn't think I needed more than a 12, still don't), or completely dump WIS. Due to the aforementioned social situation, I chose to half-dump CON, also because I still think in terms of 3.5 feat economics(armor prof feats? Please...) But I will look into solving the scale armor situation. For now, is that +1 AC I would get from chainmail worth the loss of speed?

A few more simple questions:
Can the saving throw granted by Inspired Recovery be a death saving throw?

I was unsure if cleric powers could be cast without the cleric implement, but apparently, you can?

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-10, 10:56 AM
I'm sorry, I should've made myself clearer. I didn't get these stats from a point buy. These are the rolls I got, plus the two racial ability increases(CON and CHA). So altho I would've loved to have a 16 STR, I cannot. I had a choice to either half-dump CON(saved by the ability score, and I really didn't think I needed more than a 12, still don't), or completely dump WIS. Due to the aforementioned social situation, I chose to half-dump CON, also because I still think in terms of 3.5 feat economics(armor prof feats? Please...) But I will look into solving the scale armor situation. For now, is that +1 AC I would get from chainmail worth the loss of speed?

A few more simple questions:
Can the saving throw granted by Inspired Recovery be a death saving throw?

I was unsure if cleric powers could be cast without the cleric implement, but apparently, you can?

On Abilities:
CON and STR are needed for Armor Feats. With a 15 STR and a 15 CON, you can get Scalemail, which is extremely optimal (+7 AC, -1 Speed, 0 Armor Check Penalty) - and if you had a 14 STR and 14 CON, you could pick that up at 4th level.

On Chainmail:
Eh. More armor is generally better, and since you'll probably be using a Light Shield, you might as well keep the Chainmail, particularly if you'll be stuck in a lot.

On Death Saves:
I don't think so. I can't find the RAW at the moment, but since a Saving Throw is just a straight up-or-down roll, while a Death Saving Throw is on a table, I don't think you can improve it.

On Implements:
Not only can you cast cleric spells without an implement, you can cast wizard spells without one too!

SamTheCleric
2008-07-10, 11:00 AM
STR/CON 15 is for Plate. Scale is only 13.

As for the saving throw... today's askwizards gives some insight.

Q: What modifies a death saving throw (Player’s Handbook 295)?
--Miranda

A: Since the death saving throw is a saving throw, anything that would modify a normal saving throw would apply. For example, the Human Perseverance feat grants a +1 bonus of saving throws. If you have this feat, you have a +1 when making death saving throws.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-10, 11:06 AM
STR/CON 15 is for Plate. Scale is only 13.

As for the saving throw... today's askwizards gives some insight.

Oh hey, that's great news!

Um, and yeah, you're right there. I'd still take CON 14 over DEX 14 for a Warlord though :smallredface:

skywalker
2008-07-10, 11:17 AM
On Abilities:
CON and STR are needed for Armor Feats. With a 15 STR and a 15 CON, you can get Scalemail, which is extremely optimal (+7 AC, -1 Speed, 0 Armor Check Penalty) - and if you had a 14 STR and 14 CON, you could pick that up at 4th level. I am not arguing with you that my choice is/was better. I am just explaining that I've been playing 3.5 for years, and in 3.5, armor prof feats were one of the stupidest feats you could take. It seemed like a good idea to not have a 10 WIS, because WIS is good for noticing things, etc. If I did it again, I would post this here before I played the guy. :smallbiggrin:

On Chainmail:
Eh. More armor is generally better, and since you'll probably be using a Light Shield, you might as well keep the Chainmail, particularly if you'll be stuck in a lot. I think you're right. I haven't needed that extra square of move very often.

On Death Saves:
I don't think so. I can't find the RAW at the moment, but since a Saving Throw is just a straight up-or-down roll, while a Death Saving Throw is on a table, I don't think you can improve it. Yeah, even with STC's info, it's still vague...

On Implements:
Not only can you cast cleric spells without an implement, you can cast wizard spells without one too! I knew about the wizard spells, which is why I took thunderwave. Honestly, I might try to trade it out for bolstering strike if I can, because, as was said, bolstering strike rolls off CHA. Does anyone know if you can retrain HED(Half-Elf Dilettante) powers?