PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Just Until PHB2...

LoneStarNorth
2008-07-09, 03:19 PM
Until the PHB2 comes out and we can once again bask in the glory that is the barbarian, I've come up with a paragon path for the fighter that emulates a rage ability. I'm hoping my DM lets me use it in his upcoming campaign, and I figured my case would be stronger if I let some other homebrewers pick it apart first.

Berserker
“RAAAAAAAGBBGBLDBGLE!!!”

Prerequisite: Fighter class, Power Attack feat

Finesse and grace are not for you. In all likelihood, neither are hygiene and basic social propriety. You’re more about hitting things until they stop moving, and then hitting them some more for good measure, and then making them into hats, and then starting the process over on a different thing.

Berserker Class Features
Berserker Rage (11th level): When you are bloodied, you can enter a frenzied state until the end of the encounter as a standard action. You immediately spend a healing surge if you have one remaining. In addition, you must make an attack every round you are able. You must use an encounter attack power if you can, but you may otherwise use an at-will or daily power as you choose. All of your attacks must be made using the Power Attack feat, but the -2 penalty applies to your AC instead of your attack rolls. You cannot use any powers with Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma based attack or damage rolls, nor any skills with Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma as a key ability. Furthermore, you are treated for all purposes as if these ability scores are 4 points lower until the rage subsides.
Raging Action (11th level): You can spend an action point to enter a rage even if you aren’t bloodied. Additionally, when you spend an action point to take an extra action, you receive a +2 bonus on damage rolls until the start of your next turn.
Diehard (16th level): While you are dying, you may choose to continue to act. You may take only a single action each round, and can’t take interrupt actions. You must make death saving throws as normal. You still die after three failed saves, and you each failed save deals you 10 damage. A successful save deals no damage, but you must keep on making saves in future rounds. If you choose not to act while dying, you automatically stabilize. While raging, you must choose to act.

Berserker Exploits
Howling Strike Berserker Attack 11
You let loose a deafening roar as you strike your foe.
Encounter * Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage, and the target is deafened until the end of the encounter. If you are raging when you use this power, the target is also dazed until the end of your next turn.

Screaming Blood Fury Berserker Utility 12
Your semi-intelligible shouts are enough to send your foes fleeing.
Encounter * Martial
Minor Action Close blast 3
Target: Enemies within the blast
Effect: The targets are pushed 2 squares and are marked until the end of your next turn. If you are raging when you use this power, the targets are pushed 4 squares.

No Escape Berserker Attack 20
Nobody escapes, nobody survives.
Daily * Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Primary Target: One creature within 6 squares
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Effect: You shift up to 5 squares, moving through squares occupied by enemies freely. You may make one basic attack against each enemy whose square you enter. If you are raging, these enemies are also knocked prone. For each enemy reduced to 0 or fewer hp, you recover 5 hp. You must end your move adjacent to your primary target.
Hit: 3[W] + Strength modifier damage, and the target is knocked prone. If you are raging, you deal extra damage equal to your Constitution modifier, and the target is dazed (save ends). If the target is reduced to 0 or fewer hp, you recover hp as if you had spent a healing surge.

Moff Chumley
2008-07-09, 06:32 PM
Niiiiice. NO visible balance problems, and you capture the essence of the Barbarian perfectly. Bookmark'd.

Bandededed
2008-07-09, 07:17 PM
So could you benefit from power attack while raged, gaining a +4 to damage and a -2 to hit and AC?

And: Completely awesome!

Mr Pants
2008-07-09, 08:30 PM
I think 4e just got more tolerable better

Foxtale
2008-07-09, 08:58 PM
I like it. :D

One contradiction: you must use an encounter attack power if you have one. But can't use powers that are Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma based. Does that mean if you have a Charisma based encounter attack power, you can't use it, thus ignoring the 'must use it' part?

LoneStarNorth
2008-07-09, 09:26 PM
Power Attack: I'd intended for the feat to just be "always active", so I guess I'll clarify that.

Encounter Powers: If you had an Int/Wis/Cha-based encounter power you would neither have to nor be able to use it. I figure that most characters who went this route wouldn't have such powers anyway though.

I'm glad people seem to like it! A friend wants me to homebrew a rogue path for her that focuses on fast-talk and cleverness instead of just stabbing, so maybe I'll post that here too later on.

Ealstan
2008-07-10, 02:48 PM
This is good, I like it. The one small problem is that you can't have a warforged berserker. Since they auto-stabilize, you're giving them 1.5 times their HP over anyone else. At 16th lvl the warforged (If he focused on being a meaty machine) would have around 140 HP. With Diehard and always at least rolling a ten on the death save, the warforged gets around 210 HP, with a 5% chance of going back up to 1/4 health. I'd suggest a rewording of diehard to close this super fun loophole.

Yorgelayheehoo
2008-08-04, 09:41 PM
I'm using this now.

Yorgelayheehoo
2008-08-06, 09:41 PM
Also: Wouldn't Screaming Blood Fury have the fear keyword?

spamoo
2008-08-06, 09:58 PM
Nice job. I'm saving this one for my upcoming campaign.

Ned the undead
2008-08-07, 01:37 AM
Also: Wouldn't Screaming Blood Fury have the fear keyword?

Yeah it should.

SwordOfUriel
2008-08-07, 06:35 AM
I like it quite a bit (and may yoink it for a campaign I'm running), but I personally would make "Screaming Bloody Fury" close burst 3 rather than close blast 3. It seems more in keeping with the idea of the scream.