PDA

View Full Version : Extend and Malkonvoker ability.

IM@work
2008-07-09, 03:54 PM
3 Questions:
1:
I am currently reading up on the Malkonvoker PrC and he has a level 1 ability to double the length of summons by a sucessful bluff check against the creatures sense motive.

Does this or does this not stack with extend? If I use an extend summon monster spell and use the malkonvoker's ability, does that make it 4 times as long?

This could potentially mean that a summon spell of lower levels could last for much, much longer, even into multiple combats in a dungeon romp. At high levels means that the summon sticks around long enough to use all/most of its spell like abilities in and out of combat.

2:

Are there any other ways to extend a summon monster spell?

I know of planar ally spells and other such spells that give you a long-term summon, but what about just a normal summon monster spell?

3:

How many summoned creatures can you have at a time?

I know about the limit for undead, but what about summons?

Thanks for the help!

Thurbane
2008-07-09, 09:51 PM
1. Abosultely it would stack, as they are 2 different sources. Just remember that x2 plus x2 equals x3, not x4.

2. ?

3. There is no limit to number of summoned creatues that I am aware of.

Siosilvar
2008-07-09, 10:00 PM
The only limit to the amount of summoned monsters is the duration. The absolute maximum would probably be 6x your caster level (assuming 1 round/level duration, +1 round/level (extend) + 1 round/level (malconvoker) *2 (double spells from quicken)).

Vexxation
2008-07-09, 10:02 PM
The only limit to the amount of summoned monsters is the duration. The absolute maximum would probably be 6x your caster level (assuming 1 round/level duration, +1 round/level (extend) + 1 round/level (malconvoker) *2 (double spells from quicken)).

Remember to multiply by another 2 for the Malkonvoker's special ability to call 2 evil beings at once.

Chronos
2008-07-09, 11:28 PM
More than that, even, if you summon creatures of a lower level than the maximum for the spell, so you can get 1d3 or 1d4+1 at once. There are also some summoning spells other than the Summon Monster line, some of which last longer or summon more creatures (Shambler can last for months, for instance, and Elemental Swarm gives you a total of 3d4+1 for 10 minutes per level.

Leon
2008-07-10, 12:44 AM
2. The 3rd Level of the Thaumaturgist PrC stacks with Extend and the Malkonvoker ability.

Requires Lesser Planar Ally (Clr 4 or Arcane Disciple: Summoner Domain and at least WIS 14)

In regard to 3. you can have as many as you can summon, but keep in mind the other people that your playing with so you don't bog the game down too much with creatures and actions

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-07-10, 12:50 PM
Requires Lesser Planar Ally (Clr 4 or Arcane Disciple: Summoner Domain and at least WIS 14)Or Malkonverter 1. :smallwink:

IM@work
2008-07-10, 12:59 PM
1: Good to know that they stack.
2: As for thermatugist, do you need to be a cleric to qualify? I am not familiar with it and I don't have my books with me as i am at work.
3: It seems odd that there is no limit to the amount that you can summon, like there is for undead. I guess since they are not permanent they are not as much of a problem for game balance. The point of looking into this was not for PC purposes but for a NPC or antagonist who could stop large groups of people by himself simply by mass summoning. In an actual party it would be advantageous to summon several strong monsters rather than billions of weak ones.

The best use for a PC character being able to mass summon is for large battles or long ones with a BBEG.

I agree though, any game where half the battle time is spent on your turns alone is a bad session. Awesome for you and no-one else. Unless it is a one-time awe the party type of deal, and then you have to do it real well.

Leon
2008-07-10, 02:03 PM
Or Malkonverter 1. :smallwink:

Heh, Book was not more than 2m away and i didn't check till now
(Lvl 2 opens it up as a 5th lvl spell)

1: Good to know that they stack.
2: As for thermatugist, do you need to be a cleric to qualify? I am not familiar with it and I don't have my books with me as i am at work.

No, The aforementioned ways work, mine requires a feat and some skills and the other a aspect of the Malkonver. just depends on taste and weather you want the other class features of the Thaumartgist

a Handy dandy link http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/thaumaturgist.htm