PDA

View Full Version : Shadowcaster Meditation [ToM]

Maerok
2008-07-09, 05:57 PM
A while ago Fax suggested a fix for the Shadowcaster such that the SC spends a full-round action to regain one tier of uses for his mysteries. This seems simple enough, but I am proposing some fluff and crunch to go with it.

Shadowcaster: 'Shadow Focus' Class Feature
A shadowcaster of level 3 or higher can focus ambient shadows around him in order to regain uses of his mysteries. Even mundane shadows share a connection to the Plane of Shadow, and it is through weak points between the planes such as this that the Shadowcaster can revitalize himself.

When focusing, a Shadowcaster must use a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. At the end of his turn, he makes a Concentration check based on the tier of mysteries he is trying to refresh; the DC is 16 - 2 for every each tier he possesses above that tier. No matter which tier he chooses, his fundamentals are regained as well (until he gains them as at will abilities).

If he focuses while in the area of a [light] spell requiring a save, he must have succeeded on his most recent save against that spell or he does not regain uses of any mystery with a spell level less than the [light] spell (treat fundamentals as 0 level; this is moot when he gains fundamentals at will).

By focusing for two full-rounds, a Shadowcaster regains his daily uses of metashadow feats.

Focusing is a supernatural action.

Focus Stances
When a 5th level Shadowcaster uses his shadow focus ability, he may choose to apply a certain stance which allows him to channel the shadow energy into practical uses right away. Whenever he may gain a bonus feat from his extensive knowledge of mysteries, he may choose to take the Shadow Focus Stance feat instead.

Stances take effect once the focusing is completed. A 12th level Shadowcaster may choose to gain the benefit of his stances when he initiates the focus; it is resolved before any readied or immediate actions, but this round counts against the duration.

Only one stance may be applied per tier he possesses; only one stance may be applied when focusing to regain metashadow uses. Stances last for three rounds, usually, and cannot be turned off once used.

Feats

Shadow Focus Stance [Metashadow]
You gain access to another stance.
Prerequisite: Shadow Focus class feature, shadowcaster level 5
Benefit: You gain a focus stance or focus boost that you qualify for. You may take this feat additional times.

Stances/Boosts:

Extended Stance [Focus Boost]
You can bind the blessing of shadow to your form with greater strength.
Prerequisite: Two or more Focus Stances
Benefit: The duration of your stances (normally three rounds) is two rounds longer.

Empower Stance [Focus Boost]
You've become adept at pushing the limits of shadow focusing.
Prerequisite: Three or more Focus Stances
Benefit: When focusing, you may apply one more stance than normal.

Darkened Mind [Focus Stance]
A mind infused with shadow can repel the most powerful charms.
Benefit: You are immune to all mind-affecting effects for three rounds.

Darkened Path [Focus Stance]
The darkness of shadows lights your way.
Benefit: You provoke no attacks of opportunity from moving for three rounds. While you do so, you may consider the first enemy you attack each round as flat-footed until the end of that round.

Darkened Fury [Focus Stance]
You draw forth a cloak of shadow, one which ensnares the unwary foe.
Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus to feint, grapple, trip, and disarm checks for three rounds. You do not provoke attacks of opportunity with them unless you fail to succeed on the check.

Darkened Body [Focus Stance]
The Plane of Shadows consumes vast quantities of energy from its victims; you can hone in and reverse the flow for your own benefit.
Benefit: When you focus, you are no longer fatigued and you regain one hitpoint per two shadowcaster levels (and no more than twice your shadowcaster level per day).

Darkened Calling [Focus Stance]
A blackened heart wields a blackened tongue.
Benefit: You may take 10 on any Charisma-based check for ten rounds, except Concentration if you are undead.

Darkened Soul [Focus Stance]
A soul touched by the call of the shadow lands acquires a deathly glow.
Prerequisite: Two or more Focus Stances
Benefit: You gain the following immunities for three rounds: poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects. You are treated as undead for that time, and may be turned, bolstered, or rebuked as such (you become staggered until the end of the effect if you would be destroyed or commanded by a turning attempt). You heal from negative energy and are harmed by positive energy.

--------------------

How does this look? Another possibility is that Focus Stances are gained at certain levels, with either a choice from the entire group or set stance gained at set levels.

thevorpalbunny
2008-07-09, 08:58 PM
I like the look of it, but I'm no balance expert.

Stycotl
2008-07-10, 12:22 AM
10 points, maerok. very cool. this stuff actually makes me want to play a shadowcaster again. i like the tome of battle-ness in the stances and stuff. very nice all around. let me play around with this before i say it is all mechanically sound, but for now, i like it a lot.

aaron out.

Maerok
2008-07-10, 09:01 PM
The abilities might be a bit overpowered at lower levels, which is why I kicked them up to only be used at 5th level and above. I'll have to test them out somehow. How would I run a playtest?

Lady Tialait
2008-07-10, 09:04 PM
Take this and add a headband to your charitor and you'll have +40 to awesome!

Maerok
2008-07-10, 09:17 PM
Sweet! But what is infinity + 40?