PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Rogue/Warlock build for a solo campaign

obscure_ftw
2008-07-09, 08:54 PM
So here's the story...I'm building a level 10 Rogue with warlock multiclass for a solo campaign. I'm acting as a thief who is focused on stealing rare magical items, and have been told to expect an urban environment. 22-pt buy

I am trying to focus on the stealth and mobility aspects (as should probably become apparent as I give the build). Theory being an urban areas will have plenty of places to hide and make use of mobility. Questions to follow the build:

Eladrin Rogue

Str 14
Dex 20
Con 12
Int 13
Wis 8
Cha 16

Artful Dodger

At-will: Deft Strike, Riposte Strike
Encounter: Fey Step, Eyebite, Positioning Strike, Otherwind Stride, Sand in the Eyes
Daily: Trick Strike, Walking Wounded, Knockout
Utility: Great Leap, Chameleon, Shadow Stride

Feats: Pact Initiate, Novice Power, Backstabber; the other three I am not sure on, I am looking at Defensive Mobility, Blade Opportunist, Escape Artist Press the Advantage, Surprise Knockdown, Nimble Blade, and for something really cutesy...Ritual Caster

Skills: Acrobatics, Arcana, Athletics, Insight, Perception, Stealth, Streetwise,Thievery

Please note: definitely not anything that is meant to be ridiculously deadly, but I get the feeling that it's better to be tough to pin down in my situation than anything. This is definitely a cutesy build where I am looking to push the limits of tactical positioning...

Questions:
1. Are the two feats worth it for a ranged debuff, escape skill and one more skill?
2. I initially was looking for as many powers that allow shifting the enemy, but ended up with lots of powers that situationally took one person out of the fight, or let me shift (probably to new cover): good direction or no?
3. Feats...I have no idea really. I get the feeling Blade Opportunist isn't what I want (people are coming at me) the others are interesting but not hugely grabbing me. Ritual Caster I put in on the theory of having some extra resources at my disposal.
4. What paragon path seems appropriate here? I like the looks of Master Infiltrator for the skills bonuses and invisibility. I also like Shadow Assassin for the Riposte on the assumption that there will be a lot of AoOs against me, and dropping weak people without trying as hard is good. Finally there is always the attraction of Daggermaster for the crit possbilities...but not much else coming from it. Cat Burglar only interests me for the level 20 daily...which is small reward I think.

Now that I've wall of text'd the world...any advice on my super-thief is appreciated.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-09, 09:13 PM
Off the bat, I'd say a rogue-wizard (or even a wizard-rogue) would be better suited for stealing magical items. They have high intelligence (useful for Arcana checks), Ritual Casting (which gives you access to highly useful spells), and excellent Utility and control spells.

Why'd you pick a Warlock?

obscure_ftw
2008-07-09, 09:38 PM
Partially for flavor reasons and also a focus on sneaky effects that like Charisma. More mobility was another reason.

I don't really like the idea of having any main class other than rogue...having a bit more HP is good and you can't beat them on a stealth flavored campaign.

You don't get Ritual Caster unless you go wizard as main class, right?

Charlie Kemek
2008-07-09, 10:05 PM
yes you can, you need to be trained in arcana/religion and take the feat.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-09, 10:16 PM
Partially for flavor reasons and also a focus on sneaky effects that like Charisma. More mobility was another reason.

I don't really like the idea of having any main class other than rogue...having a bit more HP is good and you can't beat them on a stealth flavored campaign.

You don't get Ritual Caster unless you go wizard as main class, right?

That's true, though you can spend a Feat to get it, if you're trained in Arcana.

Well, I take your point, but to be honest, it seems like you've built a Magic Assassin instead of a Magic Thief here. The extra teleport powers are fun, but they require you to be attacking and killing things - and if you want to be a thief, you'd prefer not to be killing things. But hey, it's up to you - it's just not how I'd build a thief of magic items.

As for your questions:
1) not really sure what you're asking here. If you're asking whether the Multiclass is worth it, I'd say your selection is good. Eyebite is a very good Rogue power to have, and your other selections are good.
2) If you really want to be the hit-and-run kind of guy, you'll want more immobilizers and such instead of shifters. You don't want to stick around for the fight, after all.
3) Ritual Caster is a must - if for Knock, if nothing else. Escape Artist and Defensive Mobility will be generally helpful for moving around too.
4) If you're concept is what you say, go for Infiltrator - it's built for, well, infiltrating.

That's my advice, anyhow.

obscure_ftw
2008-07-09, 10:22 PM
True, I had been questioning whether or not it was possible to get it as a perk for mutliclassing into Wizard.

Having looked at some wizard options, I don't see too much gain that would make it worth adding another stat to worry about, as it stands I have Dex and Cha to really worry about...adding Int would not be fun.

Were there any specific suggestions on options that are not Warlock? Even staying wholly Rogue is an option.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-09, 10:41 PM
True, I had been questioning whether or not it was possible to get it as a perk for mutliclassing into Wizard.

Having looked at some wizard options, I don't see too much gain that would make it worth adding another stat to worry about, as it stands I have Dex and Cha to really worry about...adding Int would not be fun.

Were there any specific suggestions on options that are not Warlock? Even staying wholly Rogue is an option.

Well, what I'm saying is multiclassing Wizard instead of Warlock will get you free Arcana training and access to the incredibly useful Wizard utilities. Heck, take Invisibility (Utility 6) - combine that with Fleeting Ghost and you can pretty much move undetected.

Additionally, by boosting Int, you'll have a better Arcana check, which is just great for Rituals. Sure, you lose some of the Hit-and-Run spells, but you become a much better thief.

Take a look over the Wizard utilities and see if they strike your fancy. If you want to be a very bloody thief, then stick with the build you have - Warlock multiclass gives you some nice attacks, and Striker-Striker builds always have good synergy.

Myshlaevsky
2008-07-09, 10:46 PM
I don't believe multiclassing into warlock gets you a pact, just eldritch blast - I'm not sure you can have eyebite. I agree that wizard is probably better.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-09, 11:01 PM
I don't believe multiclassing into warlock gets you a pact, just eldritch blast - I'm not sure you can have eyebite. I agree that wizard is probably better.

No, the long description is correct. I wanted to link to its location in the Errata, but I couldn't find it.

Myshlaevsky
2008-07-09, 11:06 PM
No, the long description is correct. I wanted to link to its location in the Errata, but I couldn't find it.

That's pretty nice - thanks for letting me know.

Starsinger
2008-07-09, 11:11 PM
Well, what I'm saying is multiclassing Wizard instead of Warlock will get you free Arcana training and access to the incredibly useful Wizard utilities.

Multiclassing Warlock lets you get training in any skill on the warlock list, like say, Arcana.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-09, 11:13 PM
Multiclassing Warlock lets you get training in any skill on the warlock list, like say, Arcana.

Oh yes, but I just included this as one bonus. The larger bonus lies in the wizard utilities, and perhaps even the Encounter powers.

obscure_ftw
2008-07-09, 11:25 PM
I don't believe I get the full pact...but I definitely get eyebite for my troubles...but it would be too nice to get misty step as well, just once an encounter.

I do like Invisibility...but at the same time, my utility powers are pretty effectively spoken for at level 6 and 10, because Chameleon and Shadow Stride are just so very nice.

I focus heavily on shifting with my powers because I am hoping to strike and then move to a new source of cover. That being said...Easy Target is tempting from the slowing effect it gives (rather than Trick Strike, where I am envisioning shifting people into traps and off of roofs). Similarly...having looked at Dazing Strike, that also strikes me as a replacement to Positioning Strike (that I somehow missed in first build, due to similar delusions of grandeur for Trick Strike). And Otherwind Stride is specifically chosen as an imobilizer/escape tool.

Agreed about Ritual Caster...I just wanted to make sure it was not just me.

So I think I'll stick with the Warlock idea, but change to the powers above. And including Ritual Caster, Defensive Mobility and Escape Artist...I am left with one last choice: Backstabber as compared to Surprise Knockdown...more reliable damage for the scrapes I'm bound to get into, or a 5% chance to slow someone down?

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-09, 11:30 PM
So I think I'll stick with the Warlock idea, but change to the powers above. And including Ritual Caster, Defensive Mobility and Escape Artist...I am left with one last choice: Backstabber as compared to Surprise Knockdown...more reliable damage for the scrapes I'm bound to get into, or a 5% chance to slow someone down?

Need STR 15 for Surprise Knockdown... and it's a sucker's bet.

Nice thing to have for a TWF Ranger-Rogue though :smallamused:

Draz74
2008-07-09, 11:32 PM
Urban campaign? Solo thief? Use one of those extra feat slots to train Bluff!

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-09, 11:36 PM
Urban campaign? Solo thief? Use one of those extra feat slots to train Bluff!

:eek:

Banjo's Right Hand! I didn't even notice that. Swap out Insight for Bluff, since you'll be lying more than you'll be detecting lies. Plus, without trained Diplomacy, I hope you're not planning on talking your way out of trouble.

obscure_ftw
2008-07-10, 04:49 PM
Yeah...the decision to not have Bluff was me trying to get away from my standard MO for at least one outing after the switch to 4e. I have been known to push Bluff pretty hard (though not as hard as my friend who built the diplomancer...every time...).

Figured I'd take the option off the table and focus on the stealth/planning aspects. But now that you mention it...Bluff is just so very sweet...