PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed build

Demons_eye
2008-07-09, 09:12 PM
I am looking to make unarmed build, cuz well I like the flavor.

I just wanted to know what people though of the build I have or if they can help me or make a better one.

Str:17 Dex:16 Con:15 Int:14 Wis:18 Cha:10

Level 6 right now but going up

2 monk/4 cleric

Was going to PcR into sacred fist and get more cleric levels and more unarmed damge.

Feats: Superior unarmed strike(ToB)

Just an idea right now cuz I dont really need him but incase my guy does die I wan to have one ready.

Meat Shield
2008-07-09, 09:15 PM
Personally, I find the unarmed swordsage to be the most fun and flavor ful unarmed combatant. But if you don't have access to the Tome of Battle that would of course be problematic.

Vortling
2008-07-09, 09:28 PM
I think he does have access to it. He used a feat from it. I'll second the unarmed swordsage. What do you like about the unarmed fighting? If you give us more specifics we can help you out more with the build.

Demons_eye
2008-07-09, 09:43 PM
Well the flavor and the fact I played an unarmed swordsage/drunken master A game ago and I was fun not having to rely on items and other things. But it seems to cartoonish/gameish to have all these moves that you use and the schools that unarmed gets are not my fav.

Waspinator
2008-07-09, 09:44 PM
I'd also go unarmed Swordsage. The manuveurs are really helpful.

Demons_eye
2008-07-09, 09:46 PM
Well I allso found it hard keeping track of the move and never seemed to use more then 3....

Siosilvar
2008-07-09, 10:02 PM
There's a problem with using 3 maneuvers/spells over and over? I've seen (and used) characters focused on onespell (like fireball or enervation).

Also, it seems "gameish"? Are you not playing a game?

Demons_eye
2008-07-09, 10:05 PM
No I never need to use more then 3, also I ment like WoW or some thing like that. To little to pick from to seem like the other swordsage across the street. (for me that is)

bosssmiley
2008-07-10, 07:28 AM
Take an unarmed Swordsage (if your DM likes Tome of Bleach Battle), or possibly a re-flavoured Soulknife (Expanded Psionic Handbook) for glowy fisted Dragonball goodness, or a "Dungeonomicon" monk (Google it) if you're playing a high level/high magic game.

The Core monk and its' spin-off PrCs tends to look a bit sad sack by the mid-high levels.

Crazy Scot
2008-07-10, 07:47 AM
As an alternative to the monk/cleric of your original post, or the unarmed swordsage idea, you could try this:

Druid (to get your divine spells), with the alternate class feature (from PHBII I believe, if not its is UA) that says you sacrifice your armor/shield proficiencies, and your wildshaping (so you aren't a total Druidzilla) to gain the AC bonuses of a monk, fast movement of a monk, favored enemies like a ranger and Track/swift tracking like a ranger. You can still focus on unarmed/natural attacks if you want to, and you still get the synergy for Wis between bonuses to AC and spells. If you take the Intuitive Attack feat from BoED, you can also add your Wis modifier to your attack rolls. You won't be doing crazy unarmed damage like a monk (but with only 2 levels as originally suggested you won't get too much anyway). And you would lose out on the special abilities of the swordsage (as others have suggested). But you could be a good buffer/light healer for the party, as well as holding your own in combat.

As I said, this is just another idea. Do with it as you will.

cenghiz
2008-07-10, 09:16 AM
Forgimme forgimme forgimme can't resist the urge!

This is what you need... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80704)

:smallbiggrin:

Aleron
2008-07-10, 09:21 AM
I think some of it is, he might just want to play an actual monk, crazy as that might be. :)

As to the monkid idea Crazy Scot gave, that sounds decent idea acutally. Improved Natural Attack(Unarmed strike) gives you a bit better damage(1d8 for medium) and superior unarmed strike would advance your unarmed damage to the same as a monk 5(1d8, or 2d6 if you take INA as well). Only problem is you still have medium BAB and no flury to compensate(as much as it does) for the lack of attacks.

Plus, unless your DM allows some alteration of the feat description...ok a big alteration...you can't take Intuitive Attack as it is an Exalted feat, and requires you to be Lawfull Good, which druids can't be...

Tengu
2008-07-10, 09:25 AM
Eh, from a mechanical point of view you don't need to be LG to take Exalted feats, just any good. There's a lot of prerequesites for your actual behaviour, though - being Exalted Good is hard.

Person_Man
2008-07-10, 09:35 AM
Try this:

Shifter Monk 3/Psychic Warrior 3/Warshaper 1/Fist of the Forest 3/Psychic Warrior X

A Monk's Belt increases your effective Monk level by 5 levels.

Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle) increases your effective Monk level by 4 levels.

Fist of the Forest (Complete Champion) increases your unarmed Monk damage by two steps up the Monk scale. Since you're effectively a 12th level Monk, this increases your unarmed damage from 2d6 to 2d10.

Improved Natural Attack increases your effective size for one natural weapon size by one step, from 2d10 to 4d8.

One level of Warshaper increases your effective size of all natural weapons by one step, from 4d8 to 6d8.

Use the augmented version of the Expansion power to increase your size by two steps, increasing your unarmed damage from 6d8 to 8d8 to 12d8. If you're playing a mid level game and don't have enough Psychic Warrior levels to use the augmented version, consider picking up the Overchannel feat.

Take Scorpion's Grasp from Sandstorm. Now whenever you hit an enemy, you get a free Grapple check. If you succeed, you deal Unarmed Strike damage (again) and can finish out your full attack with opposed Grapple checks (which are easier then normal To-Hit rolls), dealing unarmed strike damage every time you win.

If you can't be a Shifter, take Expanded Knowledge (Metamorphosis) instead, which also lets you qualify for Warshaper.

If you're in Eberron, you can take Monastic Training and Tashalatora feats so that your Psychic Warrior levels stack with your Monk levels for unarmed damage, so you won't need a Monk's Belt or Superior Unarmed Strike.

Although this method is the most efficient that I know of, there are others. Here's the list of stuff (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=662842). Scroll down to Increasing Monk Damage. Combine anything that gives you high unarmed damage with a high Grapple mod, and you'll be fine.

Chronicled
2008-07-10, 09:37 AM
If you can't be a Shifter, take Expanded Knowledge (Metamorphosis) instead, which also lets you qualify for Warshaper.

There's also the option of being a Changling, even if it's a bit cheesy.

monty
2008-07-10, 12:08 PM
IPlus, unless your DM allows some alteration of the feat description...ok a big alteration...you can't take Intuitive Attack as it is an Exalted feat, and requires you to be Lawfull Good, which druids can't be...

Uh, no. It never says anything about Lawful Good. An exalted character can just as easily be Neutral Good - which is fine for a druid.