PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes im frusterated...

Stormthorn
2008-07-10, 01:36 AM
...by my utter inability to express in any medium the things in my head. For instance, Bob exists in my head. He is an anthropomorphic cat who travels in time, space, and genre. He often wears a benie with holes cut in it for his cat ears. He also wears jeans with similar holes and a heavy vest with a wool trim because his "home base" setting is a cold future world after a sun-obscuring apocolypse. Bob had a massive amount of hammerspace and uses it to store guns of immense size and power that often break physics.

The Bob you see in your heads is not the Bob i see. Words have failed me. I cannot draw him well. Music wouldnt work, and i cant play music too.

My head has a million things more serious, complicated, dark, light, erotic, horrific, cute, funny and so on than Bob and all of them are stuck in place.

If only i could play just one instrument...or have the focus to write one novel...or if only i could draw or paint....

My most recent bought of frustration started as i began reading the comic "xkcd" very recently. It has a man in a hat. A simple stick figure. I have drawn a stick figure man in a black fedora many times before, never having seen xkcd.

So my thought turned out not to be unique, (it was too simple to be unique) but most of the world will never know of my thought and i cannot even draw a stick figure as well as the artist of xkcd, and in the end people will see that and think him clever. The only thing he had was a steadier hand.

The simple things someone else will express and people will giv them credit for an idea that was just as much mind. I dont care. At least it got expressed by someone.

The more complex stuff....

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-10, 01:49 AM
That sounds depressing.:smallfrown:Have you tried describing these things to other people so that they can put your thoughts into a form that other people are able to see or hear?

Player_Zero
2008-07-10, 01:55 AM
If you feel you lack a suitable medium for personal expression you could always just try out a load if different creative outlets. You don't need to be able write or draw to express yourself.

Stormthorn
2008-07-10, 02:12 AM
If you feel you lack a suitable medium for personal expression you could always just try out a load if different creative outlets. You don't need to be able write or draw to express yourself.

And im not very good at singing or acting or dancing or working with wood.

So far im only very gifted with one thing. I can get people, especialy women, to tell me stuff about themselves. This means that right now i am A: collecting a small list of things i wish i had never heard and in fact, didnt aks about and B: trying to guess what girl i know will reveal a sexual fetish to me next.

So...yea...that doesnt help.

As for having someone do it for me...who? I know only a few artists, none of whom would be willing to sit and really try to draw Bob without me paying them first.
Also, some things are awckward if you dont do them yourself. As kinky as The Guitar Lesson is, i would rather paint it than describe it to someone else to paint. Ya know what i mean?

If i thought someone could or would do it i would have them make my Autum Lord idea into my avatar. But the box is too small and the idea is too big and the artists are busy people with more reasonable requests to deal with.
So instead i have a gaia avatar.

Bronathair
2008-07-10, 02:14 AM
It looks like you're a terrific writer.

Stormthorn
2008-07-10, 02:19 AM
It looks like you're a terrific writer.
Well, i can make a poem about just about anyhting. But if i try to write anything longer than a few pages i have to stop and take a break at some point and when i do i just cant make myself start writing again. The story on the page has fallen behind the story in my head (which i cannot make to stop) and it loses all meaning to try and write it now that the inspirationa nd focus has moved on. I have about three or four unfinished short stories sitting mostly writtin. I only ever finished one. I would post it on this forum, but it makes sense only if you know me and my RP character on a single site...so...yea.
A poem. the entire poem is very loosly structured. I have more structured ones, but i dont like them mostly. I have one i really like...but it wouldnt go over well with the mods im sure.

A piece of broken glass
Glinting green on the hard black asphalt
A remnant of a broken bottle
Cast aside with its liquid wealth drained
Now a lone soldier armed with razor edges
Cut off from his phalanx by cold fate
Defending his position with crystal blades
Ready to stand until the end of time
Not once questioning his lonely duty
He is the perfect steadfast soldier
Immortal and unwilling to yield to anything
That glass shard is an army unto itself

Bronathair
2008-07-10, 02:24 AM
Well, i can make a poem about just about anyhting. But if i try to write anything longer than a few pages i have to stop and take a break at some point and when i do i just cant make myself start writing again. The story on the page has fallen behind the story in my head (which i cannot make to stop) and it loses all meaning to try and write it now that the inspirationa nd focus has moved on. I have about three or four unfinished short stories sitting mostly writtin. I only ever finished one. I would post it on this forum, but it makes sense only if you know me and my RP character on a single site...so...yea.
A poem. the entire poem is very loosly structured. I have more structured ones, but i dont like them mostly. I have one i really like...but it wouldnt go over well with the mods im sure.

A piece of broken glass
Glinting green on the hard black asphalt
A remnant of a broken bottle
Cast aside with its liquid wealth drained
Now a lone soldier armed with razor edges
Cut off from his phalanx by cold fate
Defending his position with crystal blades
Ready to stand until the end of time
Not once questioning his lonely duty
He is the perfect steadfast soldier
Immortal and unwilling to yield to anything
That glass shard is an army unto itself

See? Poems such as this one can go a long way! You could get this published in a book of poems, or just have a huge book (or medium sized book) full of random poetry. Many people have done that and become very successful

thubby
2008-07-10, 03:47 PM
no one starts good. you have to workat it, hard, and often for a very long time.
have you tried learning flash?

Stormthorn
2008-07-11, 01:02 AM
Flash. A little. I made a short animation on it.

But i dont actualy own flash and on this computer (my new one) i dont even have photoshop.

Cult_of_the_Raven
2008-07-11, 02:05 AM
<my 2cp>
I would like to point out that nobody is good at anything until they've practiced with it for a long time. I believe there is no such thing as talent - just a greater willingness to practice harder, longer, or smarter. set your mind to it and do the best you can. pick a medium - any medium - and roll with it.
also: Classes. get someone to teach you to do it right. So long as you're willing to put the effort in and learn, you will be a great artist.

</my 2 cp>:smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2008-07-19, 08:16 PM
Spend however long it takes, be it weeks or years, learning to improvise musically. If you learn how to do this, you will NEVER feel at a loss to express yourself. While it won't convey what you're thinking EXACTLY, (nothing can do that), it can come awfully close.