PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Thread (like número tres already)

Amotis
2008-07-10, 02:45 AM
Anyway, it's been a while since the last one died and I was looking to make some new purchases soon and wanted opinions.

Plus everyone likes to talk guitar and stuff.

So right now I'm looking for a delay/similar FX pedal. If it's a combo reverb/chorus/echo, even better.

Ones I'm considering:
-Boss DD-20
-Boss RE-20
-Line 6 DL4
-Boss RV-3
-Boss DD-3
-Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man
-Electro-Harmonix Memory Man w/Hazarai
-Boomerang Phrase Sampler
-Pigtronix Phi Echolution
-Damage Control Timeline
-Jacques Prisoner Analog
-MXR M-169 Carbon Copy
-Akai E2 Headrush
-Ibanez DE7
-Moog Moogerfooger MF-104Z
-T-Rex Replica

Heh, yeah I do realize that the list is quite random, ranging in price (unfortunately), analog/digital, and versatility. I've read about all of them, played the ones I could demo and listened to those I couldn't. I'm just kinda wanna talk to anyone if they have more experience with them then I.

Anyway, that's my personal tangent. I mainly kinda just wanted a guitar thread back. So go to listing guitars/amps/pedalsboards/whatyouwant/whateveryouwant/etc. The standard talk of influences and current bands too are always fun.

xPANCAKEx
2008-07-10, 11:52 AM
what sorta delay you going for? are you wanting REALLY long sweeps, or just short trills/echos, or even slapback kinda sound? If you're wanting analogue delay, then BIYANG AD-7 is pretty sweet to say the least. Its analogue (check), true bypass (check), has short and long delay options (check), and its cheap as chips (CHECK CHECK CHECK) because most people don't know the brand. From everything i've heard about them, they're pretty damn snazzy, so definately worth a look at, and theres always a few on ebay

plus if you ever need reverb, you can;t go far wrong with EHx Holy Grail - its immense

at the moment im looking to buy myself a yamaha SG.... dear lord i love japanese/far east stuff. My first guitar (over a decade ago) was a tokai goldstar. I still love it, and wouldn't give it up for any strats that wern't out of the fender custom shop.

Amotis
2008-07-10, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the response.

I had a Holy Grail for a while. I liked it but it was truly a one-trick-pony. To answer your question and explain why, I'm kinda looking for versatility. I have no problem with simple analog delays but I kinda do want something more then just vintage delay. Doesn't have to be the DD-20 or RE-20 or the Moog, but I like knobs. :P

However, that Biyang is dirt cheap. It may be worth it to buy it just to check it out to see if I like the sound. That shipping from China is killer tho. ;______;

Gaelbert
2008-07-10, 02:55 PM
I have a question of my own. I just joined a band for the first time, and it's a casual thing at practices. But anyways, we do some jamming, and I have no clue what to do. I usually just pick some riff I remember and play it over and over, or make something really simple up, but I have problems just letting go and experimenting. Does anyone have advice for loosening up or letting my creative juices get flowing?

xPANCAKEx
2008-07-10, 04:39 PM
the boss giga delay may offer you the versatility you desire then. Its got all sorts of functions, even some pretty decent reverse delay stuff

or the line 6 echo park pedal - that thing is fjocking sweet for what it does. Some very well voiced effects going on. Not a one-trick-pony, but 6or7-one-trick-ponies ducttapped together.

ofcourse if you want to go over the top you'd get an eventide timefactor... dear lord

Amotis
2008-07-10, 05:12 PM
the boss giga delay may offer you the versatility you desire then. Its got all sorts of functions, even some pretty decent reverse delay stuff

or the line 6 echo park pedal - that thing is fjocking sweet for what it does. Some very well voiced effects going on. Not a one-trick-pony, but 6or7-one-trick-ponies ducttapped together.

ofcourse if you want to go over the top you'd get an eventide timefactor... dear lord

Haha...yeah, the Timefactor. I'm obsessed with it. I want it, bad. But 400 dollars is very out of my range. It definently will be something I am constantly saving up for, it just may take a while. But I would give my kidney for it. Seriously. The offer will stand.

I tried the echo park a while back and while I did like it, it reminded me of pedals like the verbzilla. In that it would be on my board but I would only use it specifically for a few sounds and I don't feel I could get my money's worth out of it. It's not a bad pedal at all tho.

Line 6 is weird that way. I absolutely hate their amps and to a lesser degree, their processors, but their stompboxes aren't bad at all. In fact, some of them are really good. Reliability may be random but they're good pedals.

Moff Chumley
2008-07-10, 08:55 PM
I have a question of my own. I just joined a band for the first time, and it's a casual thing at practices. But anyways, we do some jamming, and I have no clue what to do. I usually just pick some riff I remember and play it over and over, or make something really simple up, but I have problems just letting go and experimenting. Does anyone have advice for loosening up or letting my creative juices get flowing?

Step one: Theory, theory, theory.
Step two: LISTEN to a bunch of jams and solos; don't be afraid to copy at first.
Step three: as you play a riff, "improve" it. Change notes around, extend notes, eventually, you'll have something unique and different.

If it doesn't come naturally to you, relax. The most important thing about playing is having fun; it's always great at jams to have a guitarist just pounding away at chords and rhythms, and if that's more your thing, go for it. :smallsmile:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-10, 09:28 PM
I got my guitar recently, so now I've been upgraded from just singer to singer/rhythm guitar in my band. :)

Amotis
2008-07-10, 11:48 PM
Oh xPANCAKEx, the bands you dropped in other threads caught my eye. Post-metal/post-rock/instrumental fun. What's your setup like?

The Extinguisher
2008-07-11, 12:12 AM
I need to get an acoustic guitar one of these days.

smellie_hippie
2008-07-20, 03:34 PM
I love this thread. Let's keep up the dialogue (or posting of recent recordings) to keep it an active discussion. :smallsmile:

So I'm very happy with my current guitar set-up. My strat is wonderful, and the cybertwin is an amazing amp. I like playing my Yamaha acoustic as well, and just recently got it re-fretted to clean up the buzz on the high E...

....... but I can't put down my son's "Arbor Hollowbody Electric". Let's go ahead and compare it to something close to this. (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Artcore-AFS75T-Electric-Guitar?sku=519452) It's a nice little guitar, especially for a pawn-shop purchase. I like the playability of the electric, but not having to plug it in to get good sound. Now when I have a small chunk of change, I'm hoping to purchase
this (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-McCarty-Hollowbody-I-Electric-Guitar-with-Piezo-System?sku=519919)as my own hollowbody. I've tried to walk away from it... but it's just too pretty. I need to find a dealer nearby where I can take it for a test-drive. :smallamused:

I'm also hoping to inprove the quality of my acoustic situation at home. I swear this isn't for the name, but I'm looking at this page (http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/price.php?c=8)to make my selection. I'm eyeballing the DC-16GTE Premium or the straight up DR Road Series.

Any thoughts on any of these? I'm also up for any recommendations for black-market to sell any of my unnecessary organs for a good price....

Crow
2008-07-20, 04:35 PM
I'm learning bass at the moment. Having a hella difficult time muting the strings and fretting at the same time. How can I mute the d and g strings when I go from them to the a or e? Especially the e string.

Should I mute them with my fretting hand (hard as hell for me right now)?

smellie_hippie
2008-07-20, 06:06 PM
I'm learning bass at the moment. Having a hella difficult time muting the strings and fretting at the same time. How can I mute the d and g strings when I go from them to the a or e? Especially the e string.

Muting strings like you want to play a stoccato note that doesn't carry? Or muting like you want to play a "chord" that has a muted note in the middle of the neck?

If it's just playing a stoccato note, I rest my hand on the bridge and just roll the palm in enough to mute the strings.

If it's the other issue, you can either just pull the notes you want to play with your "strumming hand" or fret the notes really thick, so your fingers deaden the next string over.

ZombieRockStar
2008-07-20, 06:13 PM

As I understand it...are you having trouble pressing down the lower string when your fingers are at the angle needed to mute the higher strings? If so, then it's just finger strength, man. Something you need to build up. Like us guitar players and our callouses. Hurts like hell when you start, gets easier over time.

I'm also hoping to inprove the quality of my acoustic situation at home. I swear this isn't for the name, but I'm looking at this page (http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/price.php?c=8)to make my selection. I'm eyeballing the DC-16GTE Premium or the straight up DR Road Series.

Any thoughts on any of these? I'm also up for any recommendations for black-market to sell any of my unnecessary organs for a good price....

*looks at page* Ooh...I'd like to throw in a good word for my OMCXK2E, down at the bottom of the page there. It's a beautiful guitar and the Hawaiian koa wood gives it a very distinctive sound that I love. The other ones all look very nice too, though. Hmm...any way, you end up with a Martin, so there's no "wrong" choice, is there? :smallwink:

xPANCAKEx
2008-07-20, 06:15 PM
guitar techniques are just something that require time and patience to get - keep at it :)

my current rig:

peavey 5150 Mk1 amp (J&J telsa tubes through-out)
peavey 412ms cab (think a marshal 1960a from hell. Slightly more bassy, and a fractionally looser top end, but not muddy like a 5150 cab)

guitars: washburn bt-8 maverick, ibanez RG320, ibanez RG570, tokai goldstar (the two ibanez's will probably be sold to fund a yamaha sg)

my pedals are thin on the ground at the moment as many have been lent to friends to try out while im redecorating at home:
boss ds-1
boss metal zone (a joke of a pedal... but they make small amps sound HUGE)
boss chorus (its an old stereo chorus pedal)
ex holy grail
a wah pedal

Im about to blow a whole cunk on a delay pedal or 2, and a tremolo pedal (probably a boss tr-2 as i can't find anything with true bypass that doesn't cost a bomb), sell the two distortion pedals for an MXR custom shop overdrive, and maybe a digitech whammy pedal

Its the season of change.

im tempted to sell my 5150 to fund either an orange or a fender bassman + a jcm 800. Ideally i'd love to run both heads in stereo into my cab (the joys of a stereo cab). Plus i certainly wouldn't sniff at a sunn lead beta - but those are a pain in the backside to track down

Amotis
2008-07-20, 09:11 PM
I think with acoustics, more then electrics, that you really do have to try the guitar pre-purchase. With electrics there are always thousands of things you can do to get the tone you want. It's an endless hunt, sure, but you can change the sound of an electric pretty easy. (Don't get me wrong tho, trying an electric is a /must/ as well. It's also very much how it feels and plays in your hands) With an acoustic, however, there are but a few things that will change the sound from the moment you first play it. That's kinda my only real advice with buying an acoustic.

Ah, pancake (can I call you pancake?), those heads you're looking at are pure gold. I wanted a sunn setup for a long time, but as you probably know, it's really hard to find and really expensive when you do.

random pictures of my a kinda new toy and parts of my set up:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/amotis/P1000792.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/amotis/P1000790-1.jpg

Oh and wish list? Let's see, I'm probably getting a SIB Mr. Echo once Brian puts out the next batch. I also really want a volume pedal, preferribly something light based and maybe something that has a wah built in, like the Morey one, but those always seem to be huge tone suckers. And I don't have enough money for a Goodrich or Hilton one, so I guess we'll see. I do want another distortion pedal tho. Maybe an overdrive (Timmy, OCD, or Lovepedal Eternity) or a fuzz (ZVex Fuzzfactory or every more orgasmic, this (http://www.deviever.com/fx/dreammangler/index.html) baby). This is all over lots of time tho. *looks around room for stuff to sell*

Crow
2008-07-20, 09:40 PM
As I understand it...are you having trouble pressing down the lower string when your fingers are at the angle needed to mute the higher strings? If so, then it's just finger strength, man. Something you need to build up. Like us guitar players and our callouses. Hurts like hell when you start, gets easier over time.

Ok, so then i should be muting the higher strings with my fretting hand when i play on the lower strings then?

@SmellieHippy: Basically i need to be able to mute them so they don't carry through my next note and muddy-up the sound. I pluck and with my fingers, so muting with my palm doesn't really work.

smellie_hippie
2008-07-23, 09:28 AM
Ok... so my latest struggle has been trying to get a good strumming pattern down so I can try singing while playing. The songs that I have been working on doing this are as folllows:

Radiohead: High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, Karma Police and Creep
Pink Floyd: Mother, Time and Wish You Were Here
Fred Eaglesmith: Time to Get a Gun
Foo Fighters: My Hero, Everlong and Stranger Things Have Happened
Oasis: Wonderwall and Lyla
Mountain Goats: This Year
Phish: Sample in a Jar, Driver and Dirt
Nirvana: Pennyroyal Tea

I feel anywhere from 6-10 (on a scale of 10) on my confidence and fluidity on playing the songs along with iTunes. My hang-up is that the strumming falters or I get really stuck if there is a significant transition that the vocals don't completely click with...

Any pointers?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-23, 10:14 AM
I have an Epiphone SG-400 Custom, which all of my friends say sounds better than my other friends Gibson Les Paul Special.

On my wish list is a Firebird, because they just look awesome in my book. Never actually played one though.

Serpentine
2008-07-23, 10:19 AM
I know absolutely nothing about this sort of stuff, so I have no idea what's good and what's not, but it seems my high school flame owns all of these ones, or something similar to each of them. There's only 13 here, which means I'm missing 2.
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/4/4/6/270446.jpg
https://secure.modwest.com/kissarmywarehouse.com/images/products/575_large.jpg
http://www.audio-electric-shop.de/shop/catalog/images/Jackson-RR3.jpg
http://www.bassemporium.com/images_products/usedyamaharbx200f.jpg
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/42f2b30a2c4d61b0b4d9a703568dfe7b.jpg
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/65cdf6f13d322620b7149fb90f024165.jpg
http://www.guitarsetc.net/guitar_el/bcr_new/bc_kk_f1_lg.jpg
http://www.imuso.co.uk/directory/images/reviewpix/bc-rich-se-dagger.JPG
http://www.kramermaniaxe.com/AXEGTR%201.JPG
http://www.rythmic-musique.fr/images/BC%20Rich%20Warlock%20tribe.jpg
http://www.shreveaudio.com/images/demon.jpg
http://www.tresnjevka.net/news/media/3/20070530-Weird_guitar_Skullnbonz.jpg

Tragic_Comedian
2008-07-23, 10:23 AM
Why are there never any mandolin threads?:smallbiggrin: I play a little bit of guitar. Not much good yet.

valadil
2008-07-23, 12:36 PM
Step one: Theory, theory, theory.

Where do you suggest picking up theory? I've been looking around on google and everything I read is either stupidly basic or way over my head. I have enough newbie knowledge to be bored with the basics, but not enough to follow the interesting stuff, and I just can't find a good resource for getting from point A to point B. Ideally I'd like something that isn't so abstract and includes examples from actual songs.

Also, does anyone know how to fix an amp? Since my most recent move my amp has made a really high pitched whining sound whenever it's on. It does this even when no cable is plugged in, so I'm sure it's the amp and not the guitar. I'm comfortable taking the thing apart, but I have no idea what I'd be looking for that would cause this sound. It's annoying enough that I've only been playing acoustic lately.

Hannes
2008-07-23, 02:19 PM
My setup is... Hell, I have a setup? All I own is a crappy Yamaha EG112 who can't keep its strings tight (they go wobbly-wobbly) and a Crate GT65 amp.

I'm looking forward to a)replacing my Yamaha EG112 with something that can withstand active playing (from Blind Guardian style to maybe... black metal-ish?) and has strings that don't vibrate so freely and a pedal which can produce normal distortion sounds. Any help, anyone? (Keep in mind that I'm just a poor student who will only have big amounts of money on rare occasions such as my first and only paycheck in a long time amounting up to maybe five hundred dollars, most likely three or four.)

Amotis
2008-07-23, 10:17 PM
Mountain Goats: This Year

Hehe, me likes. *looks at zombie* Was that you?

I think fingers first, then vocals is always a good idea. As tempting as it is, I think staying away from vocals and learning just the guitar part to the point of mindless perfection, is a good way to ease vocals in. Muscle memory, basically. The good thing with all those songs is that lyrics and melodies change with chord changes pretty fluidly. So just find the syncopation and rhythm within vocals and let your fingers do what they do, I suppose. Finding the subtle changes in practice styles helps too. Like instead of playing to itunes, try a simple metronome. Less things going on might allow more fluid concentration.

@valadil - Where are you at, theory wise? Or is it self taught theory and hard to say where? The Guitar Fretboard Workbook is kinda the standard start to intermediate, not intermediate/slow theory, but very hands on, book thingy. Two of my favorite theory books, however, aren't exactly aligned to what you want (or each other) but are excellent wonderful things that will always come in handy (I think). They are "The Jazz Theory Book" by Mark Levine and (no seriously, it's good, please excuse whatever elitist blah that hovers about it) Fundamentals of Musical Composition, by Arnold Schoenberg. Both are totally awesome in that they provide great instruction into theory. One, obviously, is more book-y then the other, but both are worth picking up sometime in one's life, provided that life involves making music. That being said, I don't think theory is essential to playing guitar well.

What kind of amp? Does the volume of the whine go up or down as you toggle the master volume (if it even has one)? Sounds like soldering problem but specifics would be nice.

@Hannes - Strings that don't vibrate so freely? Umm, huh? Do you mean something with a lower action? The phrase normal distortion confuses me too. Distortion pedals are pretty numerous. I like my Pro Co Rat 2? I mean, that's what I can say. :P It's a pretty "normal" in it's sound but has a lot of versatility. If you could name a sound you're going for I might be able to point you to a pedal.

TheSilverKnight
2008-07-24, 04:45 AM
Ok, so then i should be muting the higher strings with my fretting hand when i play on the lower strings then?

@SmellieHippy: Basically i need to be able to mute them so they don't carry through my next note and muddy-up the sound. I pluck and with my fingers, so muting with my palm doesn't really work.

If you are fretting a note when you lift off of it it should take care of itself. The only time you should have to worry about muting a higher note when moving to a lower string is when the higher note was an open string or needed to be sustained.

The best way I can explain it however is that when you release pressure from a note you should not be completely removing your finger from in instead you should gradually relive the pressure. The only time this can not be done is when you need to go to the same fret on a lower string from a higher one in which case set up for a pressure roll ahead of time. Also if you are playing finger style (which is how bass should be played although maybe I say this because no matter what instrument I pick up I can't play with a pick) make sure you are alternating fingers if you skip a string but use the same finger (rake) if you are only going down one string.

Overall it should just come with practice. Try playing scales backwards or finding a bass line that skips strings a lot but then goes back. A good example would be the intro bass line to Cult of personality by living color.

Hope that helps.

valadil
2008-07-24, 08:52 AM
@valadil - Where are you at, theory wise? Or is it self taught theory and hard to say where? The Guitar Fretboard Workbook is kinda the standard start to intermediate, not intermediate/slow theory, but very hands on, book thingy. Two of my favorite theory books, however, aren't exactly aligned to what you want (or each other) but are excellent wonderful things that will always come in handy (I think). They are "The Jazz Theory Book" by Mark Levine and (no seriously, it's good, please excuse whatever elitist blah that hovers about it) Fundamentals of Musical Composition, by Arnold Schoenberg. Both are totally awesome in that they provide great instruction into theory. One, obviously, is more book-y then the other, but both are worth picking up sometime in one's life, provided that life involves making music. That being said, I don't think theory is essential to playing guitar well.

What kind of amp? Does the volume of the whine go up or down as you toggle the master volume (if it even has one)? Sounds like soldering problem but specifics would be nice.

Very much self taught and it's hard to say where. I'd guess I'm probably somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I'll check out the first book and see where that takes me.

I'm pretty sure the whine varies with respect to the master volume, but I'm at work and can't test it. I do know that none of the other knobs have any effect on it. The amp is made by Crate and I got it used pretty cheap, so if it's dead it's not the end of the world.

smellie_hippie
2008-07-24, 09:12 AM
Hehe, me likes. *looks at zombie* Was that you?

I think fingers first, then vocals is always a good idea. As tempting as it is, I think staying away from vocals and learning just the guitar part to the point of mindless perfection, is a good way to ease vocals in. Muscle memory, basically. The good thing with all those songs is that lyrics and melodies change with chord changes pretty fluidly. So just find the syncopation and rhythm within vocals and let your fingers do what they do, I suppose. Finding the subtle changes in practice styles helps too. Like instead of playing to itunes, try a simple metronome. Less things going on might allow more fluid concentration.

I think I've got the finger changes down fairly well. I won't say that I can play it with my eyes closed yet... but some of them are pretty close to that. I was thinking of going through 'humming the tune' several times, because it still gets pretty choppy. I actually end up pausing on a stroke that is usually just automatic in order to play a down-stroke with the next word of the song. It's pretty frustrating.

I'm also trying to decide if having the lyrics written in front of me with chord names written above would be helpful. As it stands right now, I mostly try to play from memory... or like I said before with iTunes.

Valadil: I'm no electrician, but you could probably take that Crate in and have a couple of wires replaced. If your primary malfunction is with the increase in the master volume, it sounds like there is some fraying and the signal gets ruined as you crank in more juice. It might not be as simple as that... but it's worth spending ~$20 to have it pulled out and re-soldered.

Hannes
2008-07-24, 03:00 PM
When I mean that I don't want my strings to vibrate so freely, I mean that... You know. When you pull a string, it vibrates. But mine vibrate TOO much. I want something that keeps my strings tight so that they won't move along with the pick when I'm playing. As for sound... I said, something that could produce a sound similar to the older Blind Guardian or Something Wicked era Iced Earth.

xPANCAKEx
2008-07-24, 07:50 PM
try one of the following:

1) thinner plectrums
2) smaller strings

by the sounds of it your strings arn't taughnt enough. but it may also boil down to technique? Maybe you're strumming too hard? As you're not playing an accoustic, ease off on the pick pressure, and let the amp do the work

SDF
2008-07-24, 08:24 PM
Amotis, I have to know what kind of guitar that is. It looks so prodigious. And I've always wanted to get a cello bow for guitar and Jonsi it up. The inlays are rad, and I looove 7 strings. In fact I plan on getting this guitar (https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=dc747) next. (I plan on getting the same wood and styling as the one you can scroll over to look at the pics)

I'll post my rig as soon as I figure out what bloody pedals I have hooked into what... I feel like Omar Lopez with this mess of a pedal board, srsly.

I've pushed back my hopes of having a fully written EP from summer to the end of the year. And I'm so busy that will probably change too. But I have transposed a wicked cover of Parting of the Sensory by Modest Mouse. And I have three other songs halfway written.

Amotis
2008-07-24, 09:19 PM
@valadil: It should take you good places. There's hundreds of theory books based on learning theory from guitar out there. That's a favorite of mine and many, I hope it works for you.

As for the amp, Crate what? I know they have solid states and tubes. Talking to the company (and I hear Crate has some decent customer service) and/or checking out some local guitar amp repair shops would be a good idea too. Even if it's just to check out the pricing on repairs.

@smellie_hippie: It kinda sounds like it's just a practice a lot sorta thing. It's also a try any method that works thing too. I usually use the lyrics sheet with chords on it method. Having someone sing lead and singing backups is a good way to ease into it too, I think.

@Hannes: Hmm, you're playing primarily metal based stuff, so are you detuning? Some guitars can't handle that adequately. But I know lots of people detune lots and are fine...and that's not really my field. Sorry. I do believe that Blind Guardian uses racks. Rocktron was one of the brands, I think (and I think they make pedals too).

@ dearest sdf: Heh, it's custom. I'm not even sure what he used. The seven string is just awesome with a bow, though. I totally support you buying one. :P It allows these cool open tunings with some voicings you wouldn't get with a six.

@pancake or anyone else who uses a wah pedal: where do you have it in your chain? I want one to make some cool noises in a non-traditional wah way. Like a volume pedal or one of these (http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/tip.php)(which are totally cool) but more so.

@ EVVVVERRRRRRRRRRRYOOOOOONE[/gary oldman]: So I just discovered the awesomeness of the Danelectro Cool Cat line of pedals. Just bought the transparent overdrive for 25 bucks used. That's an awesome deal. You guys should really check them out. True bypass, good sounding, and very very inexpensive. I was actually pushing one of my friends who's on the fence about taking up guitar to take up electric guitar because you could build a very decent pedal board with just the Cool Cat line (admittedly, not as versatile as others) for really really cheap. The Fuzz, Vibe, and Chorus are highly praised (as well as the OD), I can't stress how much you guys should check them out.

zeratul
2008-07-24, 10:06 PM
Okay so I need some advice on getting less feedback on my amp. It's a line6 spider 15watt, and its a decent amp, and the affects it comes with are alright i suppose, but when i use it with my distortion pedal i get tons of feedback, any way I can remedy this without buying a new amp?

Murska
2008-07-24, 10:07 PM
Any advice here for a beginner bass player? I've been learning some easy stuff so I can help my band, while when I'm alone I rather sing or if frustrated, go take it out on the drums. That's why my punching bag and my drums are in the same room. Well, that and the fact that it's the basement so the sound isn't so terrible. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I find it hard to spread my fingers enough to be able to play different notes fast enough. I always seem to have to move my hand too much.

Leper_Kahn
2008-07-24, 10:21 PM
Yo Guitar People,
I've learned the beginning parts of guitar to about bar chords a while ago. I want to take it back up... Soooooo.... I'm teaching myself using this website (http://guitar.about.com/od/guitarlessons/u/lessons.htm) until I get back to about that point. After I plan to get a teacher to continue my learning.

Is this a good idea? I mean I don't remember much from the last time I learned so is it cool to learn the beginnings of guitar without instruction?

Crow
2008-07-24, 10:30 PM
Any advice here for a beginner bass player? I've been learning some easy stuff so I can help my band, while when I'm alone I rather sing or if frustrated, go take it out on the drums. That's why my punching bag and my drums are in the same room. Well, that and the fact that it's the basement so the sound isn't so terrible. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I find it hard to spread my fingers enough to be able to play different notes fast enough. I always seem to have to move my hand too much.

I've found it helps if you only stretch when you have to. Otherwise keep the hand relaxed.

TheSilverKnight
2008-07-25, 02:23 AM

When beginning use 1-2-4 fingering or Pointer-Middle-Pinky. This is a good way to start because then u will build up pinky strength which a lot of self taught people lack and can slow you down when you need to hammer on down alot of frets. Once you can play smoothly with 1-2-4 then start to use 1-2-3. Although even with stretching it is hard to play down 3 consecutive frets using 1-2-3 fingering on a bass because a proper bass has 1.5 nut fret spacing. In bass method you should learn that because of the larger frets unless you have really large hands your fingers will NOT line up with the frets consecutively. Instead when going from the 2nd to third finger don't lift it away from the fretboard. Instead roll in in the direction of the 3rd finger then you should be in a comfortable position to use your 3rd finger and remove the 2nd.

Never keep using a method or hold a position that makes your hand feel uncomfortable. That's why when guitarists play chords their hands are in all sorts of weird shapes. Because if the just used the next finger for each note up in the chord it would be quite uncomfortable in some cases.

Also never get lazy and use only your first two fingers and just slide around that's why a lot of punk'ish or grunge bassists lines consist of just 8th note streams of a few notes in one pattern. Because they can't properly fret around or box well.

If you also find your self using your first and third finger alot more often when playing lines that don't use the 2nd finger switch to 1-2-4 and use your pinky so it doesn't get lazy and fall off from inactivity.

And if playing certain lines is still uncomfortable shift 1 fret higher or lower toward the notes in most cases that's whats intended in a bassline and the lower or higher notes that you are losing access to are usually unneeded. For example check out the opening bass line to I'm so sick by flyleaf(put it down below). Its alot easier to play it in 2nd or 3rd position because you never need access to a fret below 3 accept 0 but you don't need anything to access an open string.
A|----------------999-|
E|-30393h404/666-----|

Sry for being long winded...

TheSK

smellie_hippie
2008-07-25, 06:31 AM
Anyone own or play a Gretch Electromatic guitar? It's comparable to the Epiphone of Gibson... right? I have to come to terms that my PRS is going to be a toy I buy when the kids have grown and moved away... but one of these might be obtainable by next Spring.

I like this one (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-Electromatic-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar?sku=517730) in Firebird Red or Black

If I'm super sweet to my wife, I might be able to get this one (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G6117T-Anniversary-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar?sku=511515) ... but I'm not sure.

I'm also still checking Epiphone hollow-bodies.

And yes, all will be played before a purchase is made. I just can't post pictures from my local guitar store. :smallamused: Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

edit: Just cruising Musicians Friend before heading into work, and I found this guitar (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-B.B.-King-Lucille-Electric-Guitar?sku=518252). I think this may have made the top of the list...

xPANCAKEx
2008-07-25, 08:58 AM
e-bow for the win!

also - can anyone tell me about MXR smartgates? I have a boss ns-2 noisegate at the moment (pretty standard issue for anyone using a 5150 - don't know they they just don't ducktape the thing to the side of it at the factory), but i've heard good things about the MXR

Amotis
2008-07-26, 01:30 AM
I would highly suggest getting away from those Boss NS-2s. Usually I'm fine with boss unless it's really noisy (aka ge-7) or sucks a lot of tone (those ns-2s). Those really don't work with my ears at least. Anyway, the MXR is pretty decent as noisegates go. But that's hard to say because I think noisegates are tricky bastards. There's always some tone suck (which is inherent to any noisegates). But don't get me wrong, the MXR Smart Gate is good. And so are the ISP Decimator. You should check them out as well.

Moff Chumley
2008-07-26, 12:29 PM
In my experience, for theory, there's no substitute for just having long chats with really knowledgeable people. If possible, find a piano teacher in your area who specializes in theory, and just go talk to him for a few weeks/months. I say piano, because it's easier to learn theory on, and not to difficult to transition the piano stuff onto guitar.

Speaking of which, do we have any keyboardists lurking around here? I has me an awesome old Korg N5. It has some cheesy stuff, but it's fun and pretty powerful. I have my aim set on a Moog Little Phatty, though- I tried one of things once, probably the most fun I've had on a keyboard, ever.

Hannes
2008-07-27, 08:13 AM
I do believe the fault isn't in my technique, I'm not hacking away at my strings as if it were a person I'd have to hit with a sword, I'm using just the right amount. Also, I don't detune. Okay, depending on the song I'm playing, of course, but usually, I stay in EADGBE tuning. I'm curious, however, about the tightening strings part. How do I do it? (I'm a self-taught electric guitarist, I have NO idea about the guitar hardware stuff.)

TheSilverKnight
2008-07-29, 08:27 PM
I do believe the fault isn't in my technique, I'm not hacking away at my strings as if it were a person I'd have to hit with a sword, I'm using just the right amount. Also, I don't detune. Okay, depending on the song I'm playing, of course, but usually, I stay in EADGBE tuning. I'm curious, however, about the tightening strings part. How do I do it? (I'm a self-taught electric guitarist, I have NO idea about the guitar hardware stuff.)

You may need a setup done your neck could be to far in one direction. Or your strings may not be proper gauge and are just loose.

Although the more common culprit is that the string doesn't have enough angle of the nut which can be prevented by properly stringing the guitar and not cutting off the excess string until they are properly tuned(and intonation) at least once and have good tension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wRpcT11-tE
^ good tutorial and shows a good angel.

smellie_hippie
2008-08-01, 06:05 AM
Ok,

so I changed my strings on my guitar last night (stratocaster). I guess she has been somewhat neglected for the past few months, as I have been playing much more acoustic guitar. Anyway, as I was polishing the neck while my strings were off, I noticed some significant wearing on the frets.

More specifically, I can see big rubbed spots on about the first 4-5 frets. Especially on the E B and G strings. Once I got her strung, she played just fine and had no buzzing or other playability issues.

Any ideas on how often you might need to get a guitar re-fretted? This is honestly the first time this issue has come up for me since I started playing. Additionally.... any ideas how much said repair work might cost? :smalleek:

randman22222
2008-08-01, 06:09 AM
Honestly, I wish my second fret on my D string would wear down a bit. Buzzes like crazy. It's the only fret of mine that does that.

In other news, I got my first effect pedal. :smallbiggrin: Line6 Crunchtone. I play an electric/acoustic guitar, and it sounds great, despite coming from piezo pickups.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-08-02, 12:54 AM
(Run of the mill bassist here)

New Callouses developing, I blame Aerosmith.

Anyway, although I'm alright at picking I can't really use the two finger technique or slap/pop

Any good ways to practice these other then the obvious continual grind?

SDF
2008-08-02, 01:37 AM
Custom guitars are pretty rad. Amo, is it a custom made using stock parts from, say, Warmoth, or did a lutheir make the body from scratch? Also, do you know what kind of pickups it has? It's beautiful, and I'm so very curious :smallbiggrin:

Ok,

so I changed my strings on my guitar last night (stratocaster). I guess she has been somewhat neglected for the past few months, as I have been playing much more acoustic guitar. Anyway, as I was polishing the neck while my strings were off, I noticed some significant wearing on the frets.

More specifically, I can see big rubbed spots on about the first 4-5 frets. Especially on the E B and G strings. Once I got her strung, she played just fine and had no buzzing or other playability issues.

Any ideas on how often you might need to get a guitar re-fretted? This is honestly the first time this issue has come up for me since I started playing. Additionally.... any ideas how much said repair work might cost? :smalleek:

Refreting can be very expensive, and depending on the value of your guitar may not be worth it. To get only a few frets done can be cheaper. In the end though it all depends on where you go to get it done. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are having playing problems that can't be fixed by adjusting the action or truss rod.

smellie_hippie
2008-08-05, 08:21 AM
Considering starting a band... which I haven't done since high school (in the 90's... the early 90's) and I thought I might ask for some advice.

After discussing the possibility with my friend (a fellow playgrounder) it sounds like it might be predimonantly acoustic. We also play electric, but when we play guitar together we tend to bring our acoustics.... but I digress. The thoughts I have going on are what additional components might or might not be essential or awkward in transition?

Full on rock band would need a bass and a drum kit.
Does an acoustic duo sound decent without a bass guitar? Does it get thrown off with a full drum kit, or should we steer towards a small trap-kit? If we go trap-kit and decide to plug in, how much is the drum line lost with mild distortion?

I know that everyone here could cite several examples of bands that pull of popular bands that cover these situations (BareNakedLadies, Ani DiFranco, The Mountain Goats, G. Love and Special Sauce, etc etc...). What I would rather hear is your opinions on the matter.

Gaelbert
2008-08-05, 05:56 PM
So, it looks like it's time for me to get an electric guitar. I've been looking around, and I found a very nice Fender Cyclone for about $200. Used, but good condition. Anyone have experience with these?

Moff Chumley
2008-08-05, 06:56 PM
Considering starting a band... which I haven't done since high school (in the 90's... the early 90's) and I thought I might ask for some advice.

After discussing the possibility with my friend (a fellow playgrounder) it sounds like it might be predimonantly acoustic. We also play electric, but when we play guitar together we tend to bring our acoustics.... but I digress. The thoughts I have going on are what additional components might or might not be essential or awkward in transition?

Full on rock band would need a bass and a drum kit.
Does an acoustic duo sound decent without a bass guitar? Does it get thrown off with a full drum kit, or should we steer towards a small trap-kit? If we go trap-kit and decide to plug in, how much is the drum line lost with mild distortion?

I know that everyone here could cite several examples of bands that pull of popular bands that cover these situations (BareNakedLadies, Ani DiFranco, The Mountain Goats, G. Love and Special Sauce, etc etc...). What I would rather hear is your opinions on the matter.

Do either of you play bass? If so, it would probably work fine to have one of you double up and play one or the other based on the song. I realize shelling out a couple hundred dollars for an instrument you don't play isn't the smartest sounding thing to do, but I digress. A full drum kit would probably be nice, especially if you want to do anything jazzy.

Amotis
2008-08-08, 03:41 AM
@SDF: Some sort of humbuckers. TBH, I have no idea about any of the specifics. I got it free from the guy I bought my amp from off craigslist. He didn't want to go through the trouble of putting frets on it (did you notice that? :smallamused:) and I was more then too happy to take if off his hands. 7 string fretless? Hell yeah, it's totally awesome.

@smellie_hippie: It's whatever you guys want. My current band is only the second time a collective of mine has had a drum kit involved. Before I've used drum machines and part writing and sampling and other percussion. This is also the third band that doesn't have a bass player. My point is that I don't think instrumentation should have to be a certain way unless you're covering stuff in a very standard little-interpretation way. My opinion is that for a duo acoustic thing, I don't think so. Depends what you're playing but I think you can make up stuff to do what you need. As groovy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXyyTKGGWtM) as you want. :P

@coolgaelbert: Not much. Did you play it? How'd it feel? My favorite low priced fender is the Fender Tornado. Maybe you can find one of those? Craigslist is your best friend. The huge plus about craigslist is that you can try out the guitars pre-purchase. Big thing for first guitars.

@General ramblings:
Should be a year with concerts. Mogwai, The Mountain Goats, Deerhoof, Sigur Ros, then Beruit. ^_^ Gleeeeeeeeee.

SDF
2008-08-09, 11:26 PM
Free? You lucky bast. A beautiful fretless 7 string... pretty much awesome.

The Fender Cyclone II is my favorite cheapo Fender. Good setup, looks like a Mustang, but I like it way better. I know a few musicians who swear by them. Of course it depends on what kind of sound you are going for. They are great for poppy music, and is geared more toward a treble sound.

I'm lucky to know a lot of good musicians. It's helping my EP hopes come along nicely. One of my roomates is an amazing bassist, another is decent at guitar and piano, but where I'd actually have him do something with his cello. He plays the cello on the soundtrack for The Happening. And one of my best friends is a ridiculous guitarist, leagues better than many professional bands, and I love his playing style too. I know a few drummers, but they are the flakiest people on the planet...

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-09, 11:32 PM
im thinking of looking into squire telecaster deluxe's (the two humbuckered ones) - i much prefer the tele headstock as opposed to the fat headstock on the fender version, and they are MUCH cheaper. But can anyone tell me how the squire and the fender version match in other areas. Obviously it will be cheaper build and what not, but im thinking in terms of playability and comfort. It will probably be used for quite high gain stuff so it won't need to be crystal clean tone

SDF
2008-08-09, 11:36 PM
Honestly I hate squires. The electronics are terrible. The construction is terrible. And, the setup is terrible. I've had them fall apart on me in the store before. This isn't indicative of all of them, but I've played my fair share of them and have never been satisfied. Again, the key would be to try it out if you think it might be for you. MIM Fender's aren't too much more, and you can get a good sound out of them, so try out a few.

zeratul
2008-08-09, 11:39 PM
Free? You lucky bast. A beautiful fretless 7 string... pretty much awesome.

The Fender Cyclone II is my favorite cheapo Fender. Good setup, looks like a Mustang, but I like it way better. I know a few musicians who swear by them. Of course it depends on what kind of sound you are going for. They are great for poppy music, and is geared more toward a treble sound.

I'm lucky to know a lot of good musicians. It's helping my EP hopes come along nicely. One of my roomates is an amazing bassist, another is decent at guitar and piano, but where I'd actually have him do something with his cello. He plays the cello on the soundtrack for The Happening. And one of my best friends is a ridiculous guitarist, leagues better than many professional bands, and I love his playing style too. I know a few drummers, but they are the flakiest people on the planet...

Heh I'm in a similar situation, I'm thinking of putting posters around nearby schools for auditioning drummers.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-08-10, 06:39 AM
Heh I'm in a similar situation, I'm thinking of putting posters around nearby schools for auditioning drummers.

Somewhere in every city is a basement where drummers convene secretly and discuss which bands to meet.

Anyone know where Canberra's is? The Red Anthem needs a drummer!

Moff Chumley
2008-08-10, 12:45 PM
No keyboard love on the guitar thread. :smallfrown:

zeratul
2008-08-10, 01:03 PM
Keyboards own man. But especially if they're doing solos. Keyboard shredding is possibly the most awesome thing ever to exist.

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-10, 01:37 PM
No keyboard love on the guitar thread. :smallfrown:

pssst, the clue to why is in the thread title ;)

mockingbyrd7
2008-08-10, 02:24 PM
This guitar is very similar to my electric: http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L10704235.jpg

Except mine has black around the edge. It's not an AMAZING guitar, but it works well enough. I've also got a really nice acoustic/electric, not sure what brand.

I started playing about a year and a half ago, but couldn't really get into it. I took a few lessons, learned the basic chords, learned a couple songs, and got distracted. For whatever reason, I picked it up again on my own accord about five months ago and loved it. I've been playing pretty much daily ever since, and I've gotten to the point where I can actually say I'm an ok guitarist. :smallbiggrin:

Gaelbert
2008-08-10, 09:22 PM
I just played my guitar for Otis Redding's nephew. I'm expecting a record deal any day now.

smellie_hippie
2008-08-15, 08:38 AM
So,

My son and his band played their very first 'gig' last night. They sounded awesome for a group of high school students!!! They may not have won the Battle of the Bands... but it was a great start!

Pictures are currently available here. (http://www.penguinsushi.com/index.php?page=Gallery) They're the photo's of the kids in suits.

Possible video link available sometime soon.

DraPrime
2008-08-15, 08:41 AM
Well I actually don't play guitar (I sing), two guys in my band do. The first guitarist's guitar is a Dean Razorback (http://www.theobsession.net/images/deanobss5.jpg). It sounds great but personally I think it looks stupid. The other guitarist uses something far more traditional. A Fender Stratocaster.

Spiryt
2008-08-15, 08:45 AM
Well I actually don't play guitar (I sing), two guys in my band do. The first guitarist's guitar is a Dean Razorback (http://www.theobsession.net/images/deanobss5.jpg). It sounds great but personally I think it looks stupid.

Cheesy, but really nice IMO.

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-15, 01:05 PM
dimebag snuffing it was the best PR dean could have wished for for the razorback

sad, but true

zeratul
2008-08-15, 01:20 PM
Well I actually don't play guitar (I sing), two guys in my band do. The first guitarist's guitar is a Dean Razorback (http://www.theobsession.net/images/deanobss5.jpg). It sounds great but personally I think it looks stupid. The other guitarist uses something far more traditional. A Fender Stratocaster.

I love the look of razorbacks personally. Plus I've heard they sound great, plus Dimebag used them so they can't be too bad.

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-15, 02:14 PM
dimebags tone really wasn't all that

DraPrime
2008-08-15, 02:47 PM
I love the look of razorbacks personally. Plus I've heard they sound great, plus Dimebag used them so they can't be too bad.

Here's the thing. He DIDN'T use Razorbacks. He designed the razorback, but it only really started going into production after his death. Sure, he probably owned one but he never really used it for recording or performing.

edit: But yes, it does sound fantastic. Especially for heavy metal, but that's what it was designed for.

smellie_hippie
2008-08-18, 12:47 PM
So it looks like it's almost official.

We're starting a band. :biggrin:

*GLEE!!!*

Amotis
2008-08-19, 02:21 AM
So it looks like it's almost official.

We're starting a band. :biggrin:

*GLEE!!!*

Coolist. What you guys planning to do?

I myself am looking for pickups for my classical. Anyone have any experience with that?

smellie_hippie
2008-08-19, 12:03 PM
Coolist. What you guys planning to do?

It invariably starts with some covers, since some of us have never played together. (some of us don't even know each other...)

Sushi has already recorded some stuff of his own, but mentioned tweaking or just playing to an audience. My son is gonna play drums, and he's looking forward to the difference in building his versatility.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-19, 12:36 PM
Well, it looks like I'm starting a band this week. They want me to sing though. :smallconfused: It looks like we're going to be playing a lot of experimental stuff (I'm being given accsess to about five thousand dollars worth of gear, including a Kaosilator. :smallbiggrin:), but I as of yet do not know whether to have one or two guitarists. I'm thinking a sound like a three way cross between Porcupine Tree, Meddle-era Pink Floyd, and Tangerine Dream. Also if the opportunity to have two drummers presents itself, would that be a good idea?

zeratul
2008-08-19, 12:39 PM
Sometimes great vocalists are people who didn't sing before they had to. Dave Mustaine had never sang before Megadeth, and he has a really cool voice.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-19, 12:43 PM
Sometimes great vocalists are people who didn't sing before they had to. Dave Mustaine had never sang before Megadeth, and he has a really cool voice.

The condition I set is that if they got me a vocoder, I would use it. :smallcool:

ZombieRockStar
2008-08-19, 10:01 PM
Odd note: I found a miniature, hand-crafted model replica of my Jazzmaster, with the same colour scheme, even. I bought it. It now sits on a cute miniature stand atop my desk. It is very cool. :smallcool:

Also if the opportunity to have two drummers presents itself, would that be a good idea?

I think that would depend very heavily on the talent of the drummers and if they can work together on some nifty counter-rhythms. I could imagine that being very cool, but possibly also disastrous. I don't know.

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-20, 08:30 AM
the drummers would definately have to be on a wavelength and willing to work together. It also means a lot more hassle transporting the band around. And risk of being seen as a novelty act.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-20, 06:04 PM
Well, the band looks like Drums/bass/guitar/guitar/keys (and, if nescessary, another guitar. :smalltongue:) with readily available string and woodwind players if we wanted to go King Crimson. I haven't played with them yet, though, so we'll see how this works...

smellie_hippie
2008-09-09, 06:04 PM
Well this thread was starting to slip into obscurity... I felt that the discussions that had been started would merit further exploration...

I'm trying to work on theory, and have a question:
1. I know a good portion of my chords.
2. I also know that there are 'chord forms' that move up the neck to play your 'major chords' in different positions.
3. I also also know that all the major scales follow the WWHWWWHW format... and thusly the minor/augmented/diminished/etc scales are variations of this format.

My question is... is it better to memorize and work on scale patterns first, or build from the different chords?

I would also like to know if anyone has some tips or techniques on building up speed... besides 'practice it over and over'. I'm looking for more specific, like 'practice this' over and over.