PDA

View Full Version : 2 New 4E Races

DiscipleofBob
2008-07-10, 02:49 AM
I wrote these two up very quickly, so there are almost probably some balance issues to work out. That and I haven't even written out the flavor yet. So reviews and suggestions are welcome and more than probably necessary.

Yuan-Ti
+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
Low-Light Vision
Speed 6

Resist Poison: You gain resist poison equal to your constitution mod plus half your class level.
Flexible Limbs: You gain a +2 bonus to escape a grab or restraints, and can do so as a minor action.
Hypnotic Grace: Enemies who mark you take a -2 to their attacks, and you gain a +1 bonus to your defense against opportunity attacks.

Once per day, a Yuan-Ti can use one of the following powers:
Gaze of Zehir
Daily
Standard Action
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Effect: The target is dominated (save ends).
Miss: The target is dazed (save ends).

Grace of Zehir
Daily
Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: An opponent declares an attack on you.
Effect: You gain +2 to all defenses until the start of your next turn.
Special: You cannot use this power if you grant combat advantage to the target.

The Yuan-Ti presented in the Monster Manual are zealots of the dark god Zehir. While this does encompass the majority of the Yuan-Ti race, there are always exceptions: stragglers, outcasts, or even worshipers of Zehir just less hostile than their brethren enough to work with members of other races and become adventurers. It is particularly easier for even solo Yuan-Ti to survive in hostile lands due to their hypnotic charm and ability to put anyone under their thrall for a short time.

Play a Yuan-Ti if you:
* Want to play a character with almost unnatural grace in their movements.
* Want to hypnotize others into doing your bidding.
* Want to play a snake-tongued character.
* Would like to explore a possible disciple of Zehir.

Physical Qualities

Yuan-Ti are reptilian humanoids bear a huge resemblance to snakes. They are covered in a scaly hide which can vary in color from member to member. They stand about on average with a human, usually a little shorter, and have very thin, flexible limbs. A Yuan-Ti's arms and legs are double-jointed, allowing them to make movements that would be very awkward to any other humanoid. They have a completely flat nose and yellow, piercing reptilian eyes with narrow slits for pupils. These eyes tend to have an almost hypnotic quality with anyone who looks into them directly.

Yuan-Ti young hatch directly from the egg as toddlers, and after that it takes about 8 or 9 years to reach adolescence, and another 6 or 7 years beyond that to reach adulthood. The average lifespan of the Yuan-Ti is about 60 years, though those who live to see venerable ages can reach 75.

Playing a Yuan-Ti

The most obvious use for a Yuan-Ti is in an evil campaign with other stereotypical "evil" races, such as Drow or Gnolls. In this case, it is probably best to maximize your use of the Gaze of Zehir ability to get what you want during social encounters and to cause confusion and chaos among enemies.

It is more than possible for Yuan-Ti to be good adventurers as well, even as worshipers of Zehir. You could simply interpret Zehir's nature and doctrines as what is necessary for the majority of the Yuan-Ti to survive, or you could be rebelling against the apparent inherit evil nature in your race.

Either way, a Yuan-Ti will most likely have trouble with other core races, most likely in more xenophobic settings. A Yuan-Ti is more likely to adapt either to the uncivilized wilderness or a large metropolis where multiple exotic races are accepted.

Yuan-Ti who do not worship Zehir may flock to other subtle deities, such as Avandra or Sehanine. Yuan-Ti rangers may worship Melora as well.

DiscipleofBob
2008-07-10, 02:57 AM
Sharkman

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution
Darkvision
Speed 6
Swim Speed 8

Aquatic: Sharkmen are considered Aquatic; they can breathe on land and in water equally well. They never need to make an Athletics check to swim, and they gain a +2 bonus against non-Aquatic creatures in underwater combat.
Water Advantage: Sharkmen have an innate connection with the primal force of water. Even when not underwater, as long as there is a water source making direct contact with the Sharkman, he gets a +1 bonus to attack rolls.
Blood in the Water: A Sharkman's one major flaw is their biological reaction to blood. When any creature within 6 squares is bloodied, the Sharkman must roll a save with a bonus equal to his Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma modifier (chosen at character creation), or immediately try to attack the bloodied creature to the best of his ability with the Sharkbite attack.

Sharkbite:
At-Will Martial
Standard Unarmed
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Damage: 2d4 + Strength modifier damage, the target is grabbed and takes ongoing damage equal to your Strength modifier until they escape the grab. While grabbing a target with this ability, you may use this same power to automatically hit and deal damage to the target.

And it's late now, so I'll put in the racial feats and flavor later.

TreesOfDeath
2008-09-09, 04:52 PM
Interesting races, but their normal abitlies seem really situational and their powers seem broken compared to PHB racial powers

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-09, 05:53 PM
Interesting races, but their normal abitlies seem really situational and their powers seem broken compared to PHB racial powers

I agree, on both counts. Even as a daily, domination is really strong at level 1. REALLY strong. Eventhings with "save ends" tags are not for level 1's.
I think Yuan-ti's resist poison should manifest in two ways: +2 to all defences against poison attacks, and +5 to saves against poison. This is not quite poison immunity, but it reflects more the insidious side of the poison, which is actually what the Yuan-ti like it for, than the striaght-out pain it inflicts.

Sharkmen are incredibly situational, and Blood in the Water is a detriment, not a bonus. It forces the user to make an attack against a bloodied target, even an ally, with an unarmed attack. This would really screw them over. A lot.

chronoplasm
2008-09-10, 12:35 AM
I think I'd rather see the Sahuagan statted up rather than see a completely new race with the Sharkman, but that's just me.

The Yuan-Ti seems a little too powerful there...