PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Wealth by Level

Aleron
2008-07-10, 09:11 AM
Ok, I'm at work and don't have access to my DMG at the moment and I'm trying to stat out a charater at 23rd level as the BBEG of the campaign I'm running(they're going to meet him for the first time on Saturday). I have everything I need besides his starting wealth so I can equip him...and I can't find a WBL chart in the SRD...I thought since that was in the DMG it would be there so I didn't bother to lug the book with me today to work. Does anyone know what the WBL at 23 is or where I can find the WBL chart in the SRD(assuming it's there) so I can aproximate the amount of wealth he has to equip him?

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-10, 09:13 AM
Try Googling 'wealth by level' (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wealth+by+level).

You'd be surprised what can dig up.

vanyell
2008-07-10, 09:13 AM
as an NPC, he has a WBL of "whatever you need it to be"
and as an epic character, the same applies

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-10, 09:16 AM
You do realize that NPCs actually have a wealth by level chart, which is useful to follow, since its based on the assumption that it will soon become part of the PC's WBL?

I'll see if that can be found as well.

Couldn't find it with google. So here is my suggestion. Go to the encounter calculator. (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm) Enter the CR of the NPC. Take the Treasure value, and double it (since it is the expected sale value, not market price, of the loot), and then use that.

I'd recommend only 'charging' the NPC 1/2 price for potions and scrolls, since some of them will be used up fighting the PCs.

If it is an NPC thats supposed to help the PCs, or an intended recurring villain, give them 60-80% of PC WBL, and an additional 25-30% of PC WBL just to spend on potions, scrolls, and wands.

Aleron
2008-07-10, 09:24 AM
Try Googling 'wealth by level' (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wealth+by+level).

You'd be surprised what can dig up.

:eek:

You know...I actually search for WBL, not Wealth by Level...sometimes you have to ask the stupid questions, ya know?

Thanks. :)

Ionizer
2008-07-10, 09:24 AM
DMG says a 20th level NPC gets 220,000 gp (it doesn't go beyond 20). At level 23, I would give him about 300,000 gp (also consider that he's the BBEG, so give him more than "Generic NPC #7" gets).

But, as vanyell states "whatever you need it to be." Feel free to stretch it a little, especially considering he's the BBEG.

EDIT: Probably not what your looking for, but a 20th level PC gets 760,000 gp. I wouldn't use that, though, your players wouldn't be able to defeat him if he's that pumped with items (or if they do, by some miracle, they'll be way way too rich for their level.)

Aleron
2008-07-10, 09:28 AM
You do realize that NPCs actually have a wealth by level chart, which is useful to follow, since its based on the assumption that it will soon become part of the PC's WBL?

I'll see if that can be found as well.

Couldn't find it with google. So here is my suggestion. Go to the encounter calculator. (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm) Enter the CR of the NPC. Take the Treasure value, and double it (since it is the expected sale value, not market price, of the loot), and then use that.

I'd recommend only 'charging' the NPC 1/2 price for potions and scrolls, since some of them will be used up fighting the PCs.

If it is an NPC thats supposed to help the PCs, or an intended recurring villain, give them 60-80% of PC WBL, and an additional 25-30% of PC WBL just to spend on potions, scrolls, and wands.

Problem is with that approach that the value given for a CR 23's Treasure is 106000, so doubling it only comes out to 216000 which is just slightly more than a level 15 on the WBL chart pointed at by Skjaldbakka. Ah well, thanks for the try. :)

Aleron
2008-07-10, 09:30 AM
DMG says a 20th level NPC gets 220,000 gp (it doesn't go beyond 20). At level 23, I would give him about 300,000 gp (also consider that he's the BBEG, so give him more than "Generic NPC #7" gets).

But, as vanyell states "whatever you need it to be." Feel free to stretch it a little, especially considering he's the BBEG.

EDIT: Probably not what your looking for, but a 20th level PC gets 760,000 gp. I wouldn't use that, though, your players wouldn't be able to defeat him if he's that pumped with items (or if they do, by some miracle, they'll be way way to rich for they're level.)

Acutally that's what I'm going for, since he is the final boss and they'll be fighting him at about 20th level...and there's 7 of them. Yes, he'll have minions, but he's also a Shadowcaster, so I have to give him SOME advantage, ya know? :)

Recaiden
2008-07-10, 09:31 AM
The player's WBL isn't in the SRD, but the one for NPCs should be.

Aleron
2008-07-10, 09:33 AM
He's getting a players WBL, mainly as she's the direct line decendant of 3 of the worlds gods. Only having a wealth of 300-400k at tha points seems sorta...lame IMO