PDA

View Full Version : The House of Elendil in Westeros

Executor
2008-07-10, 01:00 PM
The discussion of George R.R. Martin's world of Westeros in another thread has gotten me to comparing Martin to an earlier master of fantasy, Tolkien. These comparisons naturally lead to thinking of what would happen if elements from one world crossed over to the other. Now, Westeros is a world of noble families, great Houses vying against each other for power over the Kingdom. Suppose we threw another house into the fray...

The year is 10 AL, the kingdom of Aegon Targaryen has just endured it's first decade. From the seas to the West, a flotilla of white ships is sighted, born inland on the winds of an unnaturally harsh storm. Nine white ships filled with men unlike those of Westeros. Tall, dark-haired and gray-eyed, noble in bearing. This small flotilla makes landfall in the vicinity of Lannisport and their leaders, the man who calls himself Elendil and his sons Isildur and Anarion, are taken to the King's court at King's Landing. They call themselves the Faithful and tell the tale of their land of Numenor to King Aegon, from it's gifting to them by the Valar to Ar-Pharazon's betrayal by Sauron and its destruction. To the Faithful, Aegon grants land in the Kingdom, centered principally around a lake northwest of King's Landing (consult this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Westeros_Labels.png) map of Westeros to see what i'm talking about). On the island in the center of this lake, the Faithful construct a city they call Osgiliath, and two tower-fortresses to guard it. Minas Arnor in the West and Minas Ithil in the East. Elendil and his kin become the House of Elendil, another noble family of Westeros. The Elendili become known for their extreme long life and somewhat odd traditions that they maintain. Fast forward over two hundred years and Elendil and his two sons still live. Along with many of their kin, the latest scion of the House being a young man by the name of Aragorn. Elendil is now called Lord Elendil the Longlived, for the longevity gifted to the Faithful. The year is now 298 AL and the War of the Five Kings is beginning.

So, how does the presence of the Elendili affect Westeros' politics as the war unfolds? Who will Elendil cast his allegiance and the allegiance of his kin for? with? The Baratheons? The Starks? The Lannisters? Perhaps the Targaryens across the Sea? Or will Elendil declare himself King by his own right?

DomaDoma
2008-07-10, 01:27 PM
The Elendili would definitely put their lot with Aerys during Robert's Rebellion - I get the impression that bloodlines matter a lot in Numenorean culture - but that's all I could really tell you, having not read any supplements beyond the Appendices.

I pray - and am also reasonably sure - that Elendil wouldn't be another bloody king.

Executor
2008-07-10, 01:40 PM
Our old friend Wikipedia has a lot of handy information on Numenor if you need it DomaDoma. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numenor

Bloodline does matter a lot in Numenorian culture and as a result I believe, if Elendil doesn't make himself King, they will support the Targaryens. If Robert's Rebellion still overthrows Aerys, they will throw their lot in with Daenerys if they gain word of her. However, I believe Numenorian arrogance and feelings of superiority might lead to Elendil declaring himself King when he has an opportunity. Afterall, when the Faithful first landed in Gondor, they pretty much just got off the boats, gave the natives a once-over and then said "Okay bitches, we're in charge now".

Occasional Sage
2008-07-10, 02:21 PM
This is an interesting twist on the vs threads...

I'd agree: HoE would support the Targaryens, assuming that they didn't seize power right off. Numenor allowed their way of life to be corrupted rather than overthrow the rightful lords; why would the Targaryen's excesses be any worse?

I suspect that the initial landing would have gone very differently, though. Dragons are the creation of Melkor, and the Targaryen's use of them as pets and mounts would lead to the natural assumption that they are an evil house of corrupt men in service to Sauron. Rather than take service to such, I think the Numenoreans would clean house, so to speak, and set themselves up at the top of the heap for the betterment of all.