PDA

View Full Version : Portal [Spoilers]

Squidmaster
2008-07-10, 01:38 PM
I just bought the game portal. i was wondering what other people think about it.
I liked it a lot. I thought the first half was a very interesting, funny game (Android hell). It freaked me out when I found the creepy graffiti and when I was trying to escape through the abandoned office building, but I enjoyed that part just as much. The final boss fight was also fun, especially the running commentary by the computer, which was hilarious. The only thing I disliked about the game was the length. It took me 2.5-3 hours to complete, and I'm normally the type of person who spends a very long time stuck with puzzles. But that didn,t detract from the game, and I would give it a 9.5 out of 10.
The cake is a lie.

valadil
2008-07-10, 01:43 PM
I loved it. I knew about the length ahead of time, so I was prepared for that. I spent more time doing the alternate levels and the speediest/fewest portals levels than the game itself.

What did disappoint me about the main game was that the first 18 of 19 levels felt like training to me. Some puzzles weren't obvious but were easy to do once I saw it. Others were immediately obvious but took a couple tries. But it wasn't till the last level that I felt like I was actually thinking.

There seems to be a decently sized community of portal map makers out there. I'm sure the community will publish some worthwhile content sooner or later.

Joran
2008-07-10, 01:46 PM
What did disappoint me about the main game was that the first 18 of 19 levels felt like training to me. Some puzzles weren't obvious but were easy to do once I saw it. Others were immediately obvious but took a couple tries. But it wasn't till the last level that I felt like I was actually thinking.

Play it with the Developer's Commentary on. That's exactly what they were trying to do ;)

DraPrime
2008-07-10, 01:49 PM
The difficulty curve was really weird for me. Level 16 was of average difficulty, Level 17 was REALLY hard for me, and then 18 was just incredibly easy. But it was still a fantastic game.

Bryn
2008-07-10, 02:12 PM
The Orange Box thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58949), a convenient place for discussing Portal (which is awesome), TF2 (which is awesome), and HL2:E2 (which is... well, I'm not subverting this format. Also awesome). Also home of the [GitP] steam group.

Apart from that, there's a reason that Portal is one of the only games that Yahtzee ever liked, and that's because it's fantastic. :smallbiggrin:

Assuming you have it on PC, consider looking into some of the maps made by the community. Sturgeon's Law applies as ever, but some are extremely creative, and some are just impressive in scale. Try searching for 'Portal: the Flash Version Map Pack' (not the actual Flash version, but the map pack based on it).

SpikeFightwicky
2008-07-10, 02:27 PM
I knew ahead of time that it was somewhat short in length, but what it lacked in length, it made up for in fun and enjoyment (as well as tying into the main Half-Life universe). I kind of felt bad when I had to incinerate the 'Curiosity Core', or when the gun turrets deactivated (it's super creepy making the deadly robots sound like children).

MeklorIlavator
2008-07-10, 06:22 PM
Apart from that, there's a reason that Portal is one of the only games that Yahtzee ever liked, and that's because it's fantastic. :smallbiggrin:

I think the better statement is that it's the first game he found nothing wrong with. While alot of his review focus on negative aspects of the game in question, they usually begin with something along the lines of "This game was good/okay except for...".
And is the spoilers tag really necessary? Its been a couple of months.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-07-11, 02:16 AM
I kind of felt bad when I had to incinerate the 'Curiosity Core'

I spent a good half the allowable lenght of the puzzle toting the thing around just to listen to it talk!

"Oh, Hi! You're the Lady from the tests!

Icewalker
2008-07-11, 02:40 AM
And great credit music!

Also, there were two people who did the voices for the game. Guess what they did?

1: GLADOS and turrets
2: anger core.

:smallbiggrin: