PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Gun Mage (PEACH)

Asbestos
2008-07-10, 06:33 PM
This little homage to Iron Kingdoms is definitely a work in progress, I'm only up to the 2nd level utility powers but 2 levels still allows for a good amount of playtesting... I'll post the firearms better when I figure out how to make a darn table :smallannoyed:

Gun Mage
Role: Striker
Power Source: Arcane/Martial
Key Abilities: Charisma, Dexterity, Intelligence
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Simple Ranged, one-handed firearms.
Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather
Implements: Pistols
Starting HP: 12+ Con score
HP/level: 5
Healing surges: 6+Con Modifier
Bonus to Defense: +1 Reflex, +1 Will
Trained Skills: Choose four from the list below.
Arcana, Bluff, Diplomacy, Perception, Streetwise, Intimidate, Stealth, Acrobatics, Thievery.
Build Options: Skirmisher, Sharpshooter
Class Features: Gun Mage Weapon Talent, Rune Bullet, Prime Shot, Duelist

Weapons: (Scatterguns are under revision, check 'Notes' post below)
Superior Ranged Weapons:

One-handed Firearms:
Pistol: +2 proficiency bonus, 1d8 damage, 10/20, 30gp, 2lbs, Pistol, load minor
Pepperbox: +2 proficiency bonus, 2d4 damage, 5/10, 30gp, 2lbs, Scattergun, Brutal 1, load minor

Two-handed Firearms:
Rifle: +3 proficiency bonus, 1d12 damage, 20/40, 50gp, 8lbs, Rifle, high crit, load move
Shotgun: +2 proficency bonus, 2d6 damage, 5/10, 50gp, 8lbs, Scattergun, Brutal 2, load move

Ammo: 1gp for 10

Magic Weapons:
Magelock Rifle: Level 3+
Level 3: +1 Enhancement, +680gp
Enhancement: Attack and Damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 per plus
Daily Power, Free Action: The next attack made with this weapon ignores range penalties, cover, and concealment.

Magelock Scattergun: Level 3+
Level 3: +1 Enhancement, +680gp
Enhancement: Attack and Damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 per plus
Daily Power, Standard Action: Make a basic ranged attack with this weapon against all creatures in Close Blast 3. This attack follows all the rules for close attacks.

Asbestos
2008-07-10, 06:36 PM
Class Features:
Implement: Pistols. Do not add the weapon proficiency bonus to attacks made with powers with the keyword implement. Attacks with the keyword implement do not use physical ammunition and do not require the reloading of the weapon.
Prime Shot: +1 to attack rolls if none of your allies are closer to your target than you.
Don't see a need for that.
Duelist: As a minor action once per turn choose the nearest enemy to be the opponent of a duel. You deal extra damage to the opponent of your duel. The challenge lasts until the end of the encounter, the opponent drops to 0 hp, or you challenge another opponent. You may have one opponent at a time.
+1d6 damage at 1st level, +2d6 at 11th, and +3d6 at 21st
Rather than make a Hunter's Quarry rip off, I'll rip off the sorcerer a bit and add in this...
Gun Mage Duelist: You gain a bonus to the damage rolls of arcane and ranged martial powers equal to your Intelligence modifier. This bonus increases to your Intelligence modifier +2 at 11th level and your Intelligence modifier +4 at 21st level.
Gun Mage Weapon Talent: +1 to attack rolls with attacks made with pistols.
Bonded Weapon: As the Swordmage 'Swordbond' feature but applies to pistols and magelock firearms.

Build Options:
Sharpshooter: +1 to attack rolls if you use a move action to take aim, and nothing else, prior to making an attack.
Skirmisher: +2 to damage rolls if you move at least 3 squares before attacking

Rune Bullet:
Encounter* Arcane, acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder, Implement
Special: You can use this power twice per encounter but only once per round. At 16th level you can use rune bullet three times per encounter.
Minor Action
Before making an attack with a gunmage implement, as an implement or as a weapon, declare the use of your rune bullet. Choose a damage type; acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. If the attack hits all damage from the attack deals that damage type and any powers used to make the attack gain that keyword. Gain a bonus equal to your intelligence modifier for a single attack roll made as part of an attack with your rune bullet.

Asbestos
2008-07-10, 06:38 PM
Level 1 At-will powers:

Charged Shot

Charged Shot: As you fire your weapon the projectile transforms into a ball of lightning, damaging your target and arcing a spark into a nearby enemy.
At-will*Arcane, Lightning, Weapon
Standard action, Ranged Weapon
Target: 1 creature
Charisma vs AC
1[w] lightning + charisma modifier lightning damage, and intelligence modifier lightning damage to another enemy up to 2 squares away from the target (Minimum 1 damage)
Increase damage to 2[w] at 21st level

Force Bullet

Force Bullet: You slam a bead of force into your target.
At-will*Arcane, Implement
Standard action, Range 10
Target: 1 creature
Charisma vs Fortitude
1d8 + Charisma modifier force damage and the target is pushed a number of squares up to your intelligence modifier.
Increase damage to 2d8 at 21st level.

Sure Shot

Sure Shot: You take aim, going for an easy hit or for hurt.
At-will* Martial, Weapon
Target: 1 Creature
Dexterity vs AC
1[w] damage
Increase to 2[w] at 21st level
Special: Add your intelligence modifier to the attack OR damage roll.

Muzzle Flash

Muzzle Flash: You channel magical energy, striking nearby enemies with blinding fire.
At-will* Arcane, Implement, Fire
Standard action, Close Blast 3
Target: Each creature in blast
Charisma vs Reflex
1d6 + charisma modifier fire damage. Targets take -2 to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
Increase damage to 2d6 at 21st level

Asbestos
2008-07-10, 06:40 PM
Level 1 Encounter Powers

Stumbling Shot

Stumbling Shot: You expertly shoot a round into your opponent's leg sending them stumbling in the desired direction.
Encounter*Martial, Weapon
Target: One creature
Dexterity vs Reflex
1[w] + dexterity modifier damage and slide the target 1 square.
Sharpshooter: Slide the target a number of squares equal to your intelligence modifier.

Mind Strike

Mind Strike: You take aim and let loose an invisible projectile, striking at your foe's very thoughts.
Encounter*Arcane, Psychic, Implement
Standard Action, Range 10
Charisma vs Will
2d6 + charisma modifier psychic damage and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.

Frost Bite

Frost Bite: You channel elemental cold, numbing your foe to their core.
Encounter* Arcane, Cold, Implement
Charisma vs Fortitude
2d8 + charisma modifier cold damage and target is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Trick Shot

Trick Shot: Your projectile hits an enemy, deflects, and catches another off guard.
Encounter*Martial, Weapon
Standard Action, Ranged Weapon
Primary target: One creature
Dexterity vs AC
2[w] and make a secondary attack
Secondary target: One creature within 3 squares of the primary target
Dexterity vs Reflex
1[w]
Skirmisher: Do extra damage to both targets equal to your intelligence modifier.

Level 3 Encounter Powers

Asbestos
2008-07-10, 06:41 PM
Level 1 Daily Powers

Gas Missile

Gas Missile: Upon striking your foe your projectile explodes in a cloud of choking, poisonous gas.
Daily*Arcane, Poison, Weapon
Primary target: One creature
Charisma vs AC
2[w] + charisma modifier poison damage, target is slowed and takes 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends both) make a secondary attack
Secondary target: Each creature adjacent to the primary target
Charisma vs Fortitude
1d8 + charisma modifier poison damage and slowed until the end of your next turn
Miss: Half damage and target is slowed until the end of your next turn, no secondary attack, no ongoing damage.

Vampiric Ray
Vampiric Ray: You blast a foe with life-draining energy and gain from his loss.
Daily*Arcane, Necrotic, Implement
Charisma vs Fortitude
3d10 + charisma modifier necrotic damage, gain 10 + intelligence modifier temporary hit points.

Tumbling Shot
Tumbling Shot: Your round cuts viciously through your opponent's flesh.
Daily*Martial, Weapon
Target: One Creature
Dexterity vs AC
3[w] + dexterity damage and target takes 5 ongoing damage (save ends)
Miss: Half damage and no ongoing damage

Flashbang

Flashbang: Surrounded by foes you set off a deafening blast of charged magic.
Daily* Arcane, Thunder, Implement
Standard Action, Close Burst 1
Target: Each creature in burst
Charisma vs Fortitude (or Will, not sure which I'll go with right now)
2d6 + charisma modifier thunder damage, target is dazed until the end of your next turn
Miss: Half Damage, target is not dazed

Asbestos
2008-07-10, 06:48 PM
These were the biggest pain, wasn't exactly sure what utility powers a gun mage should have.

Level 2 Utility Powers

Eagle Eye

Eagle Eye: Your keen eyes notice details that others miss
Encounter*Martial
Free Action
Trigger: You make a perception check.
Effect: Roll the check twice, use the higher result.

Deft Dodge

Deft Dodge: An enemy misses you and you take advantage of the situation
Encounter*Martial
Immediate Action
Trigger: An enemy misses you with a melee attack
Effect: Shift up to two squares.

Desperate Displacement

Desperate Displacement: As your enemy attacks your image blurs.
Encounter*Arcane
Immediate interrupt
Trigger: An enemy attacks you
Effect: Gain concealment against the attack and until the end of your next turn.

Sonofaspectre
2008-07-10, 09:08 PM
Your Sharpshooter mechanic is a little skewed. As is, I can take advantage of the mechanic by attacking first, which entitles me to my +1, then move, as the ability doesn't take away my movement, and moving after I attack cannot take away the +1. I am sure it is just a rewording needed, but I thought I'd point it out.

Asbestos
2008-07-10, 10:40 PM
Your Sharpshooter mechanic is a little skewed. As is, I can take advantage of the mechanic by attacking first, which entitles me to my +1, then move, as the ability doesn't take away my movement, and moving after I attack cannot take away the +1. I am sure it is just a rewording needed, but I thought I'd point it out.

Hm, true enough, nothing stops you from shooting first. I'll think on this.

Colmarr
2008-07-10, 11:08 PM
That's an "honour system" issue more than anything else.

The ability specifically says that you only get the +1 if you don't move during the turn.

In effect, it requires a defacto agreement between the player and the DM that the player will not (rather than cannot) move after firing their weapon if they utilise that ability.

A better way of phrasing the ability may be to say that a gunmage sharpshooter may spend a move action to aim and then gains a +1 power bonus to his next attack roll.

However, I'm not aware of any other build options that require an action to obtain their benefits. Maybe allow the sharpshooter to ignore cover (but not superior cover - if that's the correct term) instead?

Picos
2008-08-03, 03:29 AM
SO glad I found this thread. Good to see more IKRPG players going into 4e! This one has a lot of hope from me. Have you considered basing any other spells off of those that Caine uses? IKRPG it's self is very skimpy on setting-specific spells for their classes so coming up with ideas for a full on core class could be.. difficult, I'd imagine.

Asbestos
2008-09-02, 07:29 PM
To-Do: Complete and post the next set of encounter, daily, and utility powers. After Gun Mage work on a ranged, non-IK, defender. My hope is that it will be a fighter build in Marital Power. If not, I'm going to work on a fighter build that specializes in using thrown weapons (light or heavy) to get the job done. Some fighter basics would have to be altered, but I don't see it as that much of a stretch, especially after seeing the variant fighter builds.

Notes on the Gun Mage: Ongoing, think the base class is pretty set. The class itself appears squishier than the other strikers but for the most part has a better chance to-hit than the others and 'Rune Bullet' adds some definite versatility against enemies with resistances.

Edits:

Took the dexterity bonus to damage off of the level 1 encounter power Trick Shot. Felt it needed to be toned down in regards to the other powers. Intelligence still adds to damage for Skirmishers.

Updated the Magelock weapons, think that they'll work for now, just follow the advancement for all other magic weapons that begin at level 3 to determine price and such.

The Swordbond class feature can basically be cut and pasted and just change 'light blade or heavy blade' to 'pistol or magelock firearm'.

Increased weight of two-handed firearms from 5lbs to 8lbs.

Added 'High Crit' to the Rifle, since otherwise the darn Great Bow outstrips it easily. Increased its proficiency from +2 to +3. Think it now justifies having taking a move action to load.

Added Brutal 1 to the Pepperbox to balance out its short range with its reload time.
Added Brutal 2 to the Shotgun as well.

I liked Colmarr's suggestion of burning a move action to gain a +1 to attack, especially since bonuses to attack are at a premium in 4e, thus I have edited it in.

Changed the at-will power Charged Shot based on what I've seen from similar abilities (Cleave and Greenflame Blade) I tried to keep it unique but still keep its flavor. So now, rather than just dealing damage to a single enemy adjacent to the target, it can deal damage to a single enemy up to 2 squares away from the target. Not sure how overpowered that may be, if at all, will definitely be the scourge of minions.

Got rid of Prime Shot and altered the Duelist mechanic to differentiate it from the Ranger and to help out multi-classers.

As always, feedback, especially gameplay feedback, welcome. Thinking that Pistol Sharpshooters may be popular because of their great to-hit scores and that Magelock Pepperbox Skirmishers may be popular due to their higher damage scores. Not sure about the Shotgun and Rifle, may see more use with Rangers or as secondary, shoot once and stash, weapons for Gunmages thanks to the longer load times.