PDA

View Full Version : 'Trials of Arkhosia' - Races [PEACH]

Arioch
2008-07-11, 07:04 AM
I'm developing a campaign concept set several thousand years before the default setting, but in the same world. The campaign will be in Arkhosia, the empire of the dragonborn, which isn't quite as wonderful a place as it is described as in the Player's Handbook. I think it would be quite interesting. However, because of the timescale and the setting, a lot of the core races are inappropriate:
Tieflings and Humans make up the rival empire of Bael Turath, and are therefore not appropriate as player characters. For this reason, Half-Elves, which are part human, are also a no-no.
Dwarves are still under the yoke of the giants.
Halflings don't really fit.

Elves and eladrin are around, but I'm not sure if they'd be appropriate player characters, given the setting.

Obviously, this leaves me with an issue.
I have decided to allow kobolds as a player race. I have also begun to make a few new races which I hope will fill the gap. I'd like to see your opinions on whether these races are balanced compared to those in core, and, if not, how to change them. The first is the Drakith, a forest-based reptilian race which makes up part of the lower castes of Arkhosian society, along with kobolds.

Drakith

Appearance:
Average Height: 6¡¦0¡¨ to 6¡¦6¡¨
Average Weight: 180 lb to 260 lb
Lifespan: As human, but mature at about 11

Racial Traits:Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity
Size: Medium
Speed: 8 squares
Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Draconic
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Perception

Racial Abilities:
Darkvision: You can see in the dark out to 10 squares without penalty as long as you are in dim light or darkness.. Darkvision is black and white, but is otherwise the same as normal vision.
Speedy: When climbing or swimming, move at three-quarters of your speed, rather than half. When jumping, you are considered to be two feet taller than your actual height.
Better Safe Than Sorry: When bloodied, you gain a +2 racial bonus to all defences, but your speed is reduced by 2.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa251/OverlordCain/tkaa.gif
(not my image - belongs to Ashleigh C. Miller)

The second of the new races is the golden dragonborn, an incredibly rare subrace of dragonborn. They are considered to be harbingers of Io. They also live rather longer than normal dragonborn, having lifespans comperable to dwarves. The current leader of the empire is a golden dragonborn.

Golden Dragonborn

Appearance:
Average Height: 6¡¦2¡¨ to 6¡¦8¡¨
Average Weight: 220 lb to 320 lb
Lifespan: Similar to dwarf.

Racial Traits:
Ability Scores: +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Draconic
Skill Bonuses: +2 Insight, +2 Religion

Racial Abilities:
Aura of Valour: You and allies within 5 squares of you gain a +1 racial bonus to Will defence. This bonus increases to +2 when you are bloodied.
Draconic Heritage: Your healing surge value is equal to one-quarter of your maximum hit points + your Constitution modifier.
Sign of the Golden One: You can use sign of the golden one as an encounter power.

Sign of the Golden One Golden Dragonborn Racial Power
Calling upon your ancient heritage, you awe your opponent to a standstill.
Encounter „É Charm
Free Action Ranged 5
Target: One enemy.
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: The target cannot attack you or move within 2 squares of you until the end of your next turn. If the opponent is already within 2 squares of you, he cannot move any closer.

That brings us to four races, although no more than one player (if that) will be a golden dragonborn. I may add more dragonbron subraces.