PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #575 - The Discussion Thread

Rawhide
2008-07-19, 01:14 PM
Creating threads for all comics released while the forums were switched off.

Szilard
2008-07-19, 01:16 PM
Anyone have any Idea what monsters those skulls belong too? I think the right one is a Umber Hulk, and the middle one might be a dragon.

Logalmier
2008-07-19, 04:39 PM
Anyone have any Idea what monsters those skulls belong too? I think the right one is a Umber Hulk, and the middle one might be a dragon.

Yeah, there's definitely an Umber Hulk in there. I think the first one might be a Pit Fiend, and the second one... hmm, at first I thought it was a Minotaur, but the horns aren't curved. So yeah, I think a dragon is a good guess. And it looks like their surrounded by various humanoid skulls. It seems that those middle three are the trophies of his collection.

That aside, heh, "Hate & Barrel" indeed.

rosebud
2008-07-19, 08:14 PM
The "this was a lot more fun last time I did it" was, of course, cute. But for them to leave the cart makes no sense. Celia is very much on the good and righteous and thinking the best of the world, but is she really completely trusting or thoroughly foolish? (A mere yes would be an annoying answer, but perhaps true. Makes no sense, though.)

And, ignoring the skeletons for the moment, what type of character/whatever-you-call it is the mad doctor/mage?

And YAY for the forums being back up! Three corpses and a cat cheers for Rawhide!

Yendor
2008-07-19, 08:50 PM
Heh. Giro = Igor. Yay, anagrams!

And Celia missed out on an easy 50 gp there. Pity.

MSK
2008-07-19, 08:59 PM
Am I the only one who felt sure that Heironymous would turn Roy into an undead? The bone golem was a brilliant twist.

fractal
2008-07-19, 09:56 PM
And Celia missed out on an easy 50 gp there. Pity.
I assumed that was 50 gp for all 3 of them; not that great a deal, particularly since she has an interest in Roy's corpse. (Plus of course Roy's and Belkar's magic items are probably worth hundreds of thousands of gold, combined.)

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-20, 02:03 AM
Apart from their weapons, the Ring of Jumpin +20 and the (presumably empty) Bag of Tricks, do they have any other magical items? OotS appears to take place in a world where those sorts of items are really rare. I assumed Roy would end up as an Undead (I didn't expect Celia to cotton onto what the guy was planning on doing based on her failing to notice what Greysky City is like).

rosebud
2008-07-20, 04:14 AM
do they have any other magical items?A +5 sword (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html) with extra abilities (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0298.html). I presume you are not referring to the group as a whole, whose magical items include, among other things, a lovely belt of gender changing.

LtNOWIS
2008-07-20, 04:34 AM
I assume the money offered was just for the corpses, not including their belongings.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-20, 06:49 AM
I mentioned Belkar and Roy's weapons. I was only talking about them rather then the whole group. I'd agee with LtNOWIS about what the price applys to, though.

Haleyintraining
2008-07-20, 07:17 AM
Spelling Error:

Geez, that's a bit steep, but I guess I can't exactly shop around. I wonder is he has a payment plan option?

I think it is supposed to be if he has a payment plan option.

David Argall
2008-07-20, 01:12 PM
The "this was a lot more fun last time I did it" was, of course, cute. But for them to leave the cart makes no sense. Celia is very much on the good and righteous and thinking the best of the world, but is she really completely trusting or thoroughly foolish? (A mere yes would be an annoying answer, but perhaps true. Makes no sense, though.)

While the case can be argued in court, Celia has a claim that her host had made a guarantee the cart was safe and so she need not take more than routine care.

We can note that Celia did not know about Belkar before, which is a bit disappointing. Since she doesn't know the Mark has been set off, she should have major qualms about doing something that "would" endanger Belkar. Of course even the smartest of us overlook the obvious at times, and she doesn't like Belkar and so might have decided to endanger him.

brilliantlight
2008-07-20, 01:31 PM
While the case can be argued in court, Celia has a claim that her host had made a guarantee the cart was safe and so she need not take more than routine care.

We can note that Celia did not know about Belkar before, which is a bit disappointing. Since she doesn't know the Mark has been set off, she should have major qualms about doing something that "would" endanger Belkar. Of course even the smartest of us overlook the obvious at times, and she doesn't like Belkar and so might have decided to endanger him.

I doubt it. Belkar was probably very quiet back there and she had no reason to expect him to get into the cart. She might hate :belkar: but I don't see her deliberately endangering anyone.

Nerdanel
2008-07-20, 01:44 PM
A +5 sword (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html) with extra abilities (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0298.html). I presume you are not referring to the group as a whole, whose magical items include, among other things, a lovely belt of gender changing.

Also a +5 air freshener of pineness. That could be really useful for someone like Hieronymus.

recluso
2008-07-20, 04:47 PM
As far as I understand, Hieronymus only offers 45 gold for all 3 and it is Belkar haggling in panel 4, probably intending to say he is for hire for 50 gold and a carafe of piping hot tea.
I would not expect Belkar to have a taste for tea, but text bubble makes most sense if it is coming from Belkar.

I see no excuse for Celia, in 568 she shows understanding of the Mark of Justice, she must know she is moving Roy too far from Belkar away.

David Argall
2008-07-20, 10:49 PM
I doubt it. Belkar was probably very quiet back there and she had no reason to expect him to get into the cart. She might hate :belkar: but I don't see her deliberately endangering anyone.

As Celia understands it, parting Roy and Belkar by more than a mile will have disastrous consequences for Belkar. She is moving more than a mile to Greysky [tho that may be by as the dog wanders rather than as the crow flies, so she might hope she is still within range]. So she seems to endangering him, either by accident or design.

brilliantlight
2008-07-21, 11:08 AM
As Celia understands it, parting Roy and Belkar by more than a mile will have disastrous consequences for Belkar. She is moving more than a mile to Greysky [tho that may be by as the dog wanders rather than as the crow flies, so she might hope she is still within range]. So she seems to endangering him, either by accident or design.

You have a point.

SteveMB
2008-07-21, 12:15 PM

She might believe (either for a sound reason or out of simple rationalization for her own convenience) that Roy's corpse isn't isn't "Roy" for purposes of the MoJ, and that that part of the limitation is simply suspended while Roy is dead.

David Argall
2008-07-21, 02:52 PM
Possibly, but as far as we know, she doesn't try any form of rationalization, just ups and goes, leaving Belkar behind. Now I have argued here often enough that silence does not give consent and we can't assume that what is not pictured didn't happen, but Celia does "apologize" to Haley and it would be easy for her to mention Belkar if she wanted to. So I'd say she just didn't think of the danger of "setting off" the Mark, and thus recklessly endangered Belkar.

rosebud
2008-07-22, 07:05 AM
I would not expect Belkar to have a taste for teaHe's a gourmet cook and foodie. It seems quite reasonable for him to appreciate fine tea, especially when he's feeling like death's first self.