PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

quick_comment
2008-07-19, 03:24 PM
Anyone watched it?

If not, you should. And quick. It's freely viewable on the web, but it stops being free tomorrow at midnight.

http://drhorrible.com

29th July edit: It's now streaming on Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/dr-horribles-sing-along-blog), for the next 32 days.

Sucrose
2008-07-19, 03:43 PM
I've watched it; it's very good stuff, but I can't help but feel like there's not enough closure in the last part.

Very fond of the titular character, and the songs are wonderful.

Aidan305
2008-07-19, 03:50 PM
Watched it a few hours ago. I thought it was great. Reminded me of the book "Soon I Will Be Invincible".

Kaelaroth
2008-07-19, 05:43 PM
I loved Act Two, but the other two weren't as good. The singing was surprisingly awesome, and it was hilarious, but, then, what else could we expect from a Whedon project? :smalltongue:

Remirach
2008-07-19, 09:32 PM
Great stuff. Act three sure was a punch to the gut, though. Probably should have expected it, considering the source, but still...

Kind of had vibes from Buffy's "The Trio" (and I still think it would have been great if they could have been included in the musical episode). Sure, supervillainy's all fun and games until someone's girlfriend gets killed.

Anybody think it's strange Dr. Horrible was involved in so many crime attempts but apparently never served jail time? (Also I know it's belaboring the point to say that Hammer was a complete **** even if technically a "hero," but way to try to murder your totally helpless and defeated opponent. My brother pointed out that technically Horrible never should have gotten into the League because he didn't actually kill anyone, it was Captain Hammer's firing of the stun death ray that did the deed, and there were witnesses and everything. Hammer seemed to have some kind of real vendetta against Horrible, and if he hadn't been bent on killing him instead of just kicking the crap out of him as per the usual, nobody would have died.)

Reinforcements
2008-07-19, 10:53 PM
I bought it, but haven't watched it yet. All I know so far is that I can't hear the name of the titular character without thinking of Someone Keeps Moving My Chair (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0kU7ifODMnU).

tyckspoon
2008-07-19, 11:02 PM
I bought it, but haven't watched it yet. All I know so far is that I can't hear the name of the titular character without thinking of Someone Keeps Moving My Chair (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0kU7ifODMnU).

Yeah, you're not alone. My sister wanted to draw up chibis of the characters and put together an AMV of that song.

RTGoodman
2008-07-19, 11:12 PM
(Spoilers in white text.)

I loved Act I and Act II, but I was a little disappointed with Act III. I know Joss has to kill at least one character in every project he does, but I didn't really like how it worked out in this. Of course, I saw "The Dark Knight" like 12 hours before I watched "Dr. Horrible," so I really saw a kind of an odd connection with the whole Harvey Dent/Two-Face story-line.

Cyclone231
2008-07-19, 11:28 PM
My brother pointed out that technically Horrible never should have gotten into the League because he didn't actually kill anyone, it was Captain Hammer's firing of the stun death ray that did the deed, and there were witnesses and everything.Ah, but that makes it an even sweeter assassination; that nefarious criminal mastermind tricked Captain Hammer into murdering his own girlfriend!

What a genius!

SmartAlec
2008-07-20, 12:29 AM
Very slick piece of work, very polished. Lots of slick little touches everywhere. Watch how the lighting changes during the showdown in Act 3, for example.

I liked the implication that a superhero who was born invincible never really developed empathy, being more of a bully than a hero, and was reduced to a blubbering baby on his first painful experience because he'd never felt pain before.

The significance of the ending took a while to dawn on me, but it shows a swopping of public and private faces; he becomes Dr. Horrible, but still blogs - as Billy. There's a lot of things you can draw from that.

Tom_Violence
2008-07-20, 05:08 AM
I saw the first bit of it, and really wasn't impressed to be honest. It just seemed to be completely another 'ho ho ho, look at the superheroes with silly powers' thing, which I struggle to find amusing outside of The Venture Bros and The Tick. The songs were bland, without only one or two jokes each, and the 'everyday' humour also just fell completely flat. Really I didn't see anything amusing about this at all.

Selrahc
2008-07-20, 05:48 AM
Anybody think it's strange Dr. Horrible was involved in so many crime attempts but apparently never served jail time?

Well hes a supervillain. Those guys bust out of jails like they were made of paper. Especially in the sort of parodyverse that this is.

Thufir
2008-07-20, 05:58 AM
I love it. I am right this very second waiting for Act One to load properly so I can watch it again. And try to transcribe the music.

Regarding Dr. Horrible not going to jail, well, Captain Hammer seems a bit absent minded at times. Maybe he just forgot about that part of the justice system? Or he defeated Dr. Horrible from a distance (By throwing a car at his head, for example).

SmartAlec
2008-07-20, 07:43 AM
It just seemed to be completely another 'ho ho ho, look at the superheroes with silly powers' thing, which I struggle to find amusing outside of The Venture Bros and The Tick.

Besides Moist - who is really a very minor part of the whole thing - not sure who you could be referring to there. The second part picks up the story pace a bit, give that a try - you may as well, while it's free.

Remirach
2008-07-20, 02:22 PM
Ah, but that makes it an even sweeter assassination; that nefarious criminal mastermind tricked Captain Hammer into murdering his own girlfriend!

What a genius!
Good point. I guess it just kills me that the gun never needed to be fired at all. So Dr. Horrible not only "tricked" Captain Hammer into firing it, he tricked him into using it in a situation where it was no longer necessary. That's some pretty impressive precognition.

Regarding Dr. Horrible not going to jail, well, Captain Hammer seems a bit absent minded at times. Maybe he just forgot about that part of the justice system? Or he defeated Dr. Horrible from a distance (By throwing a car at his head, for example).
Dr. Horrible says in the second part that Captain Hammer AND the FBI were waiting for him at one point. I guess he can just invoke some kind of super-villain exception clause.

Tirian
2008-07-20, 04:18 PM
It's an amazing work. Sort of a counter-point to Watchmen: instead of a story where every major character is following their own interpretation of the heroic ideal, here everyone (except Penny) is ignoble in their own special way. I think it's overdue to investigate that some villains would rule the world better than the status quo.

As far as the core of part 3:

I don't think that Dr. Horrible told anyone that Captain Hammer pulled the trigger, and no one would believe it if he did. The media got in quickly and took the "fleeing hero, villain singing over dead body" story in the wrong direction, and this world is filled with sheep who don't question heroes or the media. Billy is getting full credit for not only killing someone but also "destroying" Hammer by taking away the most significant thing in his life (even if the reality is that it was just the hope of a two-night stand that wasn't going to happen anyway).

Thufir
2008-07-20, 05:03 PM
Dr. Horrible says in the second part that Captain Hammer AND the FBI were waiting for him at one point. I guess he can just invoke some kind of super-villain exception clause.

And shortly after that he says " ... Captain Hammer threw a car at my head. " I assume he ran away at that point thus preventing his capture.
Also, it was the LAPD, not the FBI.

SmartAlec
2008-07-20, 07:12 PM
Before Penny's death, I daresay to the police, Horrible's a harmless nuisance not worth bothering with; they watch his blog, they must know how inept he is and that by keeping tabs on him, he could lead them to other supervillains and above all they know Captain Hammer keeps him in check. After Penny's death, I daresay it's possible the police are genuinely too afraid of what he might be capable of (both in a technological and in an amoral way) to mess with him.

Phase
2008-07-20, 08:02 PM
I disagree with the above post. If Captain Hammer and the police weren't there when he went to test the freze ray, he would have succeeded. They go there, not because he is a threat, but because he would be a threat.

Mo_the_Hawked
2008-07-20, 08:59 PM
It's an amazing work. Sort of a counter-point to Watchmen: instead of a story where every major character is following their own interpretation of the heroic ideal, here everyone (except Penny) is ignoble in their own special way. I think it's overdue to investigate that some villains would rule the world better than the status quo.

As far as the core of part 3:

I don't think that Dr. Horrible told anyone that Captain Hammer pulled the trigger, and no one would believe it if he did. The media got in quickly and took the "fleeing hero, villain singing over dead body" story in the wrong direction, and this world is filled with sheep who don't question heroes or the media. Billy is getting full credit for not only killing someone but also "destroying" Hammer by taking away the most significant thing in his life (even if the reality is that it was just the hope of a two-night stand that wasn't going to happen anyway).

I think it's worth note that Dr. Horrible never blames Captiain Hammer. It would appear that he blames himself.

TeeEl
2008-07-20, 09:13 PM
I found it enjoyable, although I thought the denouement was actually rather conventional. I'm kind of surprised to hear that people weren't expecting it. :smallconfused: Study your dramatic tropes, people!

Ditto
2008-07-20, 10:06 PM
Sure, you kind of go "Ah, I get that..." when It happens in Act Three, but those last two words/seconds really give you a gutcheck and you have to rethink how he views where he's gotten himself.

Why am I typing this, there's less than an hour to watch... discussion later!

Tirian
2008-07-20, 10:38 PM
I think it's worth note that Dr. Horrible never blames Captiain Hammer. It would appear that he blames himself.

As well he should; it is his fault. He built the weapon, he brought the weapon, and he failed to use it himself. He lost control of the moment when he stopped to ask himself if he was ready to cross the line, but he should have realized that he had already crossed it back when he re-purposed his stun ray, and even before that to when he submitted his application to the ELOE.

Which is what makes for great tragedy; who among us wouldn't do the same? And what is in his future? Is he truly beyond empathy for the public, or will he become a misunderstood anti-hero who is rededicated to establishing social justice through his rule of the world? The characters are strong enough that I really want to spend more time with them, you know?

GrassyGnoll
2008-07-20, 10:44 PM
Watched it yesterday, it was great. I cried manly tears for the doctor.

The way I see it Act I was the setup, Act II the dramedy, and Act III the tragedy (it's hard to smoosh tragedy and comedy). So what will happen after midnight tonight? Will they put it on a DVD and sell it or what?

Mo_the_Hawked
2008-07-20, 11:07 PM
As well he should; it is his fault. He built the weapon, he brought the weapon, and he failed to use it himself.

The real supervillian thing to do at that point IS blame the hero.

Had he stopped the Van he very well might have become a hero, or at the very least gave up being a Supervillian.

hanzo66
2008-07-20, 11:08 PM
Great watch. Quite sympathized with Horrible and Hammer was essentially what I saw Superman as a long time ago.

Ending was fairly tragic. Songs were good as well.

Nevrmore
2008-07-20, 11:21 PM
My brother pointed out that technically Horrible never should have gotten into the League because he didn't actually kill anyone, it was Captain Hammer's firing of the stun death ray that did the deed, and there were witnesses and everything. Hammer seemed to have some kind of real vendetta against Horrible, and if he hadn't been bent on killing him instead of just kicking the crap out of him as per the usual, nobody would have died.)
I doubt any of the witnesses noticed that the source of the explosion was because of the malfunctioning gun. To anyone who was watching it just looked like a huge fireball, then Captain Hammer screaming in pain and Dr. Horrible standing up, just fine. Thus, the conclusion they drew was easy.

Besides Moist - who is really a very minor part of the whole thing - not sure who you could be referring to there. The second part picks up the story pace a bit, give that a try - you may as well, while it's free.
The entire Evil League of Evil. Bad Horse? Dead Bowie? Professor Normal? Fake Thomas Jefferson?

Remirach
2008-07-20, 11:21 PM
And shortly after that he says " ... Captain Hammer threw a car at my head. " I assume he ran away at that point thus preventing his capture.
Also, it was the LAPD, not the FBI.
My bad (should probably re-watch relevant sections before quoting them, hn?) but they couldn't have chased him? Or the attempted heist of the gold bars -- there was no follow-up on that, but he'd obviously mentioned it on the blog. That montage where Captain Hammer was pounding on him during different seasons makes it seem like he's had multiple attempts at villainy prior to this, and like the police weren't really on his case at all except maybe as backup. His claim to evilness is a letter of condemnation from the Deputy Mayor... no outstanding warrants or anything like that.

Great watch. Quite sympathized with Horrible and Hammer was essentially what I saw Superman as a long time ago.

I re-watched the whole thing before it went down and Captain Hammer... does it seem like he might have been doing sort of a turn-around before the end? He wanted to sleep with Penny at first just to piss Dr. Horrible off, but then wanted to continue it (although his seriousness in this regard is highly suspect, plus she was obviously becoming more and more turned off). "Everyone's a Hero in Their Own Way" is vain and compares the homeless to dogs, but it's still a step in the right direction for his character. I wonder if he could have developed into something a little more sympathetic, given time.

...eh, I doubt it. Still great stuff though. I hear it'll be made into a DVD with lots of goodies, so looking forward to that. :smallamused:

Phase
2008-07-20, 11:42 PM
The entire Evil League of Evil. Bad Horse? Dead Bowie? Professor Normal? Fake Thomas Jefferson?

I would love a sequel with Fake Thomas Jefferson having at least one solo song. Something along the lines of: "Take away their unalienable rights!"

Tirian
2008-07-21, 12:28 AM
The real supervillian thing to do at that point IS blame the hero.

Sure. But, by the same token, "the real supervillain thing to do" is to use a laundry service. :smalltongue:

Buddy is a deconstructed evil genius. He is an ordinary smart guy with the (natural?) belief that the world would be a better place if he a genius were running it. But he knows that that status is so un-quo that "they" aren't going to turn the keys over to someone else just because he is right, so his only road to global reform is super-villainy. Alas, his weakness is that he is not insane, and he can't blame his sadistic and moronic nemesis from behaving predictably any more than you or I could blame the rain for spoiling our picnic.

TeeEl
2008-07-21, 12:56 AM
That montage where Captain Hammer was pounding on him during different seasons makes it seem like he's had multiple attempts at villainy prior to this, and like the police weren't really on his case at all except maybe as backup.

If you're going to try to analyze this through the lens of reality, you should probably be asking yourself why Captain Hammer isn't spending some serious jail time himself. Up until his "victory" Dr. Horrible is a largely harmless social activist; Captain Hammer is a violent sociopath who gratuitously assaults unarmed "villains" that have already been thwarted. A court might grant Hammer leniency the first time he beats Dr. Horrible senseless in response to an attempted crime, but this is something that's happening again and again and again.

Tom_Violence
2008-07-21, 06:26 AM

Well, I was bored last night so I watched the other 2 bits, and I guess its true its true what they say - You can't judge a 3-part comedy thingy by its first installment alone. The 'show' definitely picked up after the 1st part, which really was largely dull enough to be ignored in my opinion. I liked the dark edge it had to it, especially since I didn't laugh at all in the 1st act, once in the 2nd, and then a few more times in the 3rd. The songs were surprisingly decent (much more moody than trying to be funny), which I didn't expect at all, and Firefly guy pulled out some good acting. Overall, I'm glad I gave it another chance.

kamikasei
2008-07-21, 06:36 AM
I'm sorry:
"The hammer is my penis."
Best. Line. Evar.

Tom_Violence
2008-07-21, 07:04 AM
I'm sorry:
"The hammer is my penis."
Best. Line. Evar.

Really? I thought that was one of the jokes that fell hardest, actually. Maybe because I saw it coming a mile off and was laughed out by the "These are not the hammer" line. I guess that's the price I pay for thinking ahead! :smalltongue:

Thufir
2008-07-21, 07:20 AM
Really? I thought that was one of the jokes that fell hardest, actually. Maybe because I saw it coming a mile off and was laughed out by the "These are not the hammer" line. I guess that's the price I pay for thinking ahead! :smalltongue:

Of course you saw it coming a mile off. I think everyone did, that's why I found it really funny. It was perfectly clear from "These are not the hammer." what he was talking about, but being the idiot that he is, he feels he has to clarify it, just in case Dr. Horrible has suddenly gone brain-dead. And then Nathan Fillion just delivered it so well.

Oh, and

Buddy is a deconstructed evil genius.

:smallmad: Buddy is not his name. He is Dr. Horrible or Billy. Penny refers to him as "Billy, buddy", his name is not Billy Buddy :smallmad:

kamikasei
2008-07-21, 07:29 AM
Of course you saw it coming a mile off. I think everyone did, that's why I found it really funny. It was perfectly clear from "These are not the hammer." what he was talking about, but being the idiot that he is, he feels he has to clarify it, just in case Dr. Horrible has suddenly gone brain-dead. And then Nathan Fillion just delivered it so well.

Yes, exactly. The joke Hammer was making was an implied one. The joke the show was making was Hammer's stupidity in feeling he had to spell it out, and it was delivered perfectly.

Tom_Violence
2008-07-21, 09:02 AM

Yes, of course I got all that. But that still didn't stop me from crossing my fingers and hoping that they'd leave it on a high instead of stooping to the cliche depths of "idiot character spells out his idiot joke because ... dun dun dun, he's an idiot!" And I disagree that seeing it coming is what makes it funny. The funny is supposed to come from the "he's talking about his penis and oh em gee, he's actually so stupid that he had to clarify it!", not from the "any second now he's gonna come back on and spell it out, hah!"

Its just a formulaic joke that I've seen way too often. Maybe that's the main thing actually - for me its just overdone, but if its still fresh for you then I can understand how it could be funny.

Tirian
2008-07-21, 01:12 PM
:smallmad: Buddy is not his name. He is Dr. Horrible or Billy. Penny refers to him as "Billy, buddy", his name is not Billy Buddy :smallmad:

I must have had The Incredibles on the brain. Still, I wouldn't go so far as to say that Billy Buddy isn't the name of his relatively mild-mannered alter-ego. Perhaps we'll find out when the DVD is released.

namo
2008-07-21, 01:17 PM
Amazing ! I'll definitely buy it to support the experiment.

The joke fell flat for me too for the same reason but I didn't mind: the song right after was nice.

SmartAlec
2008-07-21, 01:43 PM
Maybe that's the main thing actually - for me its just overdone.

There is nothing new under the sun.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-07-21, 09:02 PM
Yes, of course I got all that. But that still didn't stop me from crossing my fingers and hoping that they'd leave it on a high instead of stooping to the cliche depths of "idiot character spells out his idiot joke because ... dun dun dun, he's an idiot!" And I disagree that seeing it coming is what makes it funny. The funny is supposed to come from the "he's talking about his penis and oh em gee, he's actually so stupid that he had to clarify it!", not from the "any second now he's gonna come back on and spell it out, hah!"

Its just a formulaic joke that I've seen way too often. Maybe that's the main thing actually - for me its just overdone, but if its still fresh for you then I can understand how it could be funny.

See, I saw this in an entirely different way. Captain Hammer, to me at least, seemed to be smarter than people are giving him credit for being...he's just egotistical and completely un-empathic to everyone around him. He's also a bit of an ass, which, in my mind, is why he emphasized it. You know...just to drive home the point that yes, he is sleeping with the girl Billy has a crush on.

Mo_the_Hawked
2008-07-21, 09:37 PM
See, I saw this in an entirely different way. Captain Hammer, to me at least, seemed to be smarter than people are giving him credit for being...he's just egotistical

Maybe he wasn't explaing it because he is dumb, he might be explaining it because he thinks everyone else is dumb.

Squidmaster
2008-07-21, 10:10 PM
I liked it a lot. unfortunetly, when I tried to show my friends, I could only buy it on itunes. Which I did, eventually.

Joran
2008-07-21, 10:29 PM
I liked it a lot. unfortunetly, when I tried to show my friends, I could only buy it on itunes.

Although, I don't begrudge anyone from making a buck, it makes my task of spreading the appreciation of Dr. Horrible harder.

Many links died hard when they removed the videos.

Aquillion
2008-07-23, 02:58 AM
My bad (should probably re-watch relevant sections before quoting them, hn?) but they couldn't have chased him?Do you wonder why they haven't arrested Bad Horse, too?

I found it enjoyable, although I thought the denouement was actually rather conventional. I'm kind of surprised to hear that people weren't expecting it. :smallconfused: Study your dramatic tropes, people!Indeed. I didn't think the ending was that strange at all Seriously, 'jossed?' There's nothing out-of-the-blue or plot-twisty This is one of the standard romantic tragedy endings -- the protagonist undone by the tragic flaw of wrath, by fighting when they didn't have to. See Romeo and Juliet or West Side Story. I'm pretty sure I've heard the exact romantic plot several times before.

And Doctor Horrible is responsible. In the end, just like in the first episode, he cared more about beating Captain Hammer and being a supervillain than about Penny -- we see repeated indicators that she's still interested in him, that she's starting to see through Captain Hammer, and so on. If he'd simply talked to her instead of all this, he could've lived happily ever after.

Yes, sure, Captain Hammer pulled the trigger, but it was Horrible who pulled the gun to begin with. The fact that he hesitated at the crucial moment doesn't excuse him; to an extent, it makes things worse. Captain Hammer was basically a spoiled little boy in a man's body -- he didn't have any real understanding of pain, or other people, or what it means to kill someone. To him, it's just a dramatic quip and pulling the trigger.

Horrible understood it, though. He knew what he was getting into when he converted his gun into a death ray and pulled it out; he knew in his heart that his fantasies about getting Penny by doing something like this were absurd (as his monologue reveals at the end -- "I would give anything not to have her see"). And the flip side of this is that at least from his perspective, he has to bear responsibility, too.

Most importantly, though, I think that the director wanted to show that Doctor Horrible didn't get away with it. Even if Captain Hammer didn't know it, he knew -- and we did, too -- that the doctor crossed a line when he decided to use a lethal weapon that way. Seriously, look at what the show represents -- Doctor Horrible is a geeky student or graduate or whatever, eager to get into the program / foundation. Hammer is a loutish bully who the girl the doctor loves happens to fall in love with.

There is no way you could show Doctor Horrible drawing a lethal weapon against him in that backdrop and have it end up with anything but a tragedy. It simply isn't possible; from the Horrible's song at the end of episode 2 onwards -- and particularly from the point where he pastes the 'death' sticker on his ray -- any non-tragic ending would have come off as ghoulish or saccharin.

If you didn't realize that Doctor Horrible was making a very, very wrong choice at that point... well, I don't know what to say.

Remirach
2008-07-23, 04:04 PM
Do you wonder why they haven't arrested Bad Horse, too?

Of course not -- clearly no mere mortal stable could hold the thoroughbred of sin. Doc Horrible though, is pretty ordinary until he really does achieve supervillain status. Again, I was kind of getting vibes from "the Trio" of Buffy, who DID wind up in the klink (or at least 2 of them did). Different setting, different rules.

Tirian
2008-07-23, 05:07 PM
Yeah, right. The dopes running this town wouldn't even be able to prosecute Fake Thomas Jefferson. I envision a scene from Bewitched where the judge strokes his chin and rules "Well, if he's not Thomas Jefferson, he should be." Besides, Captain Hammer is more of a Tick-esque "I don't want to stop crime, I want to fight it!" kind of hero -- he knows that getting the bad guys arrested would put him out of work.

And, wow. Villains that speak in verse are lame. How is it that having a trio of singing cowboys speak on your behalf is so much awesome win? That's why I really want a sequel, because obviously Dr. Horrible is going to have to take down Bad Horse next, but how?

Tom_Violence
2008-07-23, 05:47 PM
And, wow. Villains that speak in verse are lame. How is it that having a trio of singing cowboys speak on your behalf is so much awesome win?

Seconded. To do it just once was way more than enough.

Remirach
2008-07-23, 10:18 PM
Eh. I liked the whole "Bad Horse" thing. I thought they played it up perfectly.

"Don't you think Bad Horse worked on his whinny? His... terrible... death... whinny?"

"He rules the League with an iron hoof."

"I just want to be an achiever, you know? Like... Bad Horse."
"The Thoroughbred of Sin?!"
"...I meant Gandhi."

The more I drink, the more interesting I find I become.

Yeah, you know, I share the same phenomenon. 2 drinks in. On that note:
I don't think saying "I had [this emotional response] to something but should have expected it" it should warrant some kind of lecture about how uneducated or unread a person is. Was it really building the death ray that sealed Billy's fate as Dr. Horrible or would it have been pulling the trigger? It's an unanswered question. He was hesitating, steeling himself up for showing "no mercy," right up until the end, and we've been shown he has problems with killing. That's how he's allowed to retain a certain ambiguity and even innocence as an "evil" character, and it's deliberate.

The ending was something of a "punch to the gut" because of the opening act, which is very light in nature, comparatively. Act II gets darker, but that doesn't guarantee that act III will be the darkest yet. Sometimes things swing back the other way, you know. In retrospect, it's easy to say that any ending was "obvious," but I was on the edge of my seat and that was how I enjoyed it. And I don't think I'm an idiot just because I didn't see it coming from a 1000 miles away -- if I knew how things ended before they began how could I enjoy any entertainment at all?

SmartAlec
2008-07-24, 04:05 AM
And, wow. Villains that speak in verse are lame. How is it that having a trio of singing cowboys speak on your behalf is so much awesome win?

Well, it was a musical.

kamikasei
2008-07-24, 04:29 AM
Seconded. To do it just once was way more than enough.

I think you misunderstood him. I read that as praising the singing cowboy trio.

Tom_Violence
2008-07-24, 05:31 AM
"I just want to be an achiever, you know? Like... Bad Horse."
"The Thoroughbred of Sin?!"
"...I meant Gandhi."

That bit was definitely one of the lines that got a big hearty laugh from me.

quick_comment
2008-07-29, 10:30 AM
It's baaaaack! (http://blog.hulu.com/2008/7/29/dr-horrible)

hanzo66
2008-07-29, 12:39 PM
Well, Joss seems to be someone who does this out of wishing to entertain and not solely for money, which I do believe he deserves profits for this great little ditty.

Reaper_Monkey
2008-07-29, 12:43 PM

And Doctor Horrible is responsible. In the end, just like in the first episode, he cared more about beating Captain Hammer and being a supervillain than about Penny -- we see repeated indicators that she's still interested in him, that she's starting to see through Captain Hammer, and so on. If he'd simply talked to her instead of all this, he could've lived happily ever after.

Yes, sure, Captain Hammer pulled the trigger, but it was Horrible who pulled the gun to begin with. The fact that he hesitated at the crucial moment doesn't excuse him; ...

Ah, but your forgetting that Dr. Horrible is told that if he doesn't kill someone, that he himself will be killed. So there's a little more to this than him wanting to kill Captain Hammer, or getting into the ELOE.

He brings the gun because he sees it as a way to solve his problems, Captain Hammer is being personally vindictive, he is also a menace to the Doctor himself... and, he needs to kill someone or he's toast himself... and by killing Hammer and showing how useless society had gotten to be that it relied on him, would be the catalyst for the change that he wants (which he says not only in Act I but in the song right before not killing Hammer).

Its also shown that Hammer was a huge influence as when he gets removed from active "Hero-ing" Dr. Horrible is able to rob banks while hardly lifting a weapon (I say that because he does so half heartedly).

I think its also his removal of Captain Hammer that gets him into the ELOE, not the killing of penny. But the death of Penny probably tipped the judgement of if he was evil enough.

Sneak
2008-07-29, 02:23 PM
I feel like I should post this here.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8074/captainhammerqv7.gif

And yes, I know that the actual quote is "The hammer is my penis." My favorite line in the whole musical/show.

Anyway, I guess I should be happy that it's being put back on line, but I managed to watch it online even after it was taken off anyway (I was away on a trip from June 23 to July 18, and I didn't hear about it until a few days later). It's nice anyway, though.

darkblade
2008-07-30, 08:34 PM
Can I have that in Sig size please?

Tirian
2008-07-30, 09:25 PM
Fie on spoilers on free movies that have been out for weeks.

Ah, but your forgetting that Dr. Horrible is told that if he doesn't kill someone, that he himself will be killed.

Well, not so much. Specifically, he is told "There will be blood, it might be yours." But in the first act Bad Horse indicates that the price of failure would be to become his "mare", and while I don't want to think too hard about that it is pretty easy to see how that could be bloody but non-lethal. Also, keep in mind that Billy and Moist weren't too concerned about the penalty for non-compliance in their subsequent conversation, so I can only assume that they know more than we do about whether Bad Horse will overstate his threats just because that's the only way to make them rhyme.

It's entirely hypothetical whether "just" permanently neutralizing Captain Hammer would have been enough for the ELOE. While surely productive for the forces of evil in the city, your stereotypical supervillain overlord would be more interested in ensuring that the politically idealistic blogger side of Doctor Horrible's personality is crushed by a self-induced act of savage immorality.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-07-30, 09:46 PM
F While surely productive for the forces of evil in the city, your stereotypical supervillain overlord would be more interested in ensuring that the politically idealistic blogger side of Doctor Horrible's personality is crushed by a self-induced act of savage immorality.

your stereotypical supervillian isn't a horse.

Silent Hunter
2008-08-01, 07:24 AM
More or less perfect. Whedon can write like no-one's business.

If The Grand Moff can get him over the pond for Doctor Who, even just one episode, it'd be a Crowning Moment Of Awesome for all concerned.

RTGoodman
2008-08-01, 11:30 AM
For those interested, one of the last couple of issues of Entertainment Weekly (I think - it was one of those magazines like that) has a multipage article on "Dr. Horrible" including interviews with Joss, Nathan Fillion, Neil Patrick Harris, and the girl that played Penny.

It also mentioned possible future installments for the show - including a possible series (or, at least, more installments) and maybe even an actual "Dr. Horrible" Broadway show.

BooTheHamster
2008-08-03, 07:55 PM
On the Dr. Horrible never going to jail thing:

Captain hammer was never in the business to do the right thing or stop villainy. He's in it to look cool and be admired. The heist proves this more than anything. Also, the Captain Hammer comic, which can be found by going to http://www.doctorhorrible.com and looking for the link, shows that he basically just likes beating up people who are different. He's just a bully posing as a hero for the praise and adulation, which is why he doesn't care about seeing things through when it comes to stopping Dr. Horrible. I mean he jumps off of an out of control van to hit on a bystander, and says the words "The only doom that's looming is YOU loving me to death. I'll give you a sec to catch your breath."

By the way, I've had Dr. Horrible on a constant loop for the past 3 days. Yeah... There's just so much in it that you don't get the first viewing. Or the second... Plus those songs are so catchy. I know most of them by heart now and alternate between Penny and Billy's parts in "On The Rise" while I sing along. Because I CAN...

GryffonDurime
2008-08-03, 10:05 PM
By the way, I've had Dr. Horrible on a constant loop for the past 3 days. Yeah... There's just so much in it that you don't get the first viewing. Or the second... Plus those songs are so catchy. I know most of them by heart now and alternate between Penny and Billy's parts in "On The Rise" while I sing along. Because I CAN...

Same for me, basically.

...Does anyone's else heart break a little every time Penny sings her first little snipet of a song? There's just a great emotion to it. The actress was perfect, and that first bit is just heartwarming.

North
2008-08-04, 01:19 AM
Yes, exactly. The joke Hammer was making was an implied one. The joke the show was making was Hammer's stupidity in feeling he had to spell it out, and it was delivered perfectly.

Totally great. Really sold the character for me. :smallbiggrin:

FoE
2008-08-04, 03:24 AM
I watched it on Thursday, and then again over the weekend. It grows on you. Though I actually wish it was a bit longer.

So, a favourite song for anyone? I loved Laundry Day. Also the finale for ...

And I don't feeeeeeeeeeeeeel ....

... a thing. :smallfrown:

BooTheHamster
2008-08-04, 04:28 AM
And I don't feeeeeeeeeeeeeel ....

... a thing. :smallfrown:

That hits a soft spot every time for me. It's just so perfect.

My favorite song would still have to be "On The Rise". I love the duet parts.

I also want to know if anyone can sing the beginning of Billy's song in the laundromat right after Hammer's famous penis line. NPH apparently got it in ONE take.

darkblade
2008-08-04, 09:45 AM

I also want to know if anyone can sing the beginning of Billy's song in the laundromat right after Hammer's famous penis line. NPH apparently got it in ONE take.

I can manage to keep up until the flashback part of that song but that took several tries to even get that fa.

BRC
2008-08-04, 11:29 PM
I just watched it today and fell in love with it.

My favorite songs are "Brand New Day", and (because it's got a catchy tune) "Bad Horse"
He rides across the nation, the Thoroughbred of Sin, he got the application that you Just Sent In!

Connington
2008-08-04, 11:42 PM
I've taken a real shine to "So They Say". That song strikes all the right notes. The happy part with the newcasters, the funny party with Captain Hammer and his groupies. ("We do the weird stuff" is just gold). Then there's the sad part with Penny and Horrible. Particularly when they sing in harmony.

North
2008-08-05, 12:57 AM
Wow, I dont think I have ever watched something so repeatedly as this. Ive got everyone at work hooked on it now and most are going to buy it to support it.

Lets see an episode 4!:smallbiggrin:

Tirian
2008-08-05, 01:03 AM
I'm all about "Freeze Ray" and "On The Rise", but "Brand New Day" is also outstanding.

BooTheHamster
2008-08-05, 09:04 AM
The happy part with the newcasters, the funny party with Captain Hammer and his groupies. ("We do the weird stuff" is just gold).

Watch Captain Hammer when they say that... I didn't notice the face he makes until like the 20th time I watched it. It's so funny.

Lord Herman
2008-08-05, 10:08 AM
Me likey! Of course, anything by Joss Whedon is awesome, especially if Nathan Fillion is in it too.

sealemon
2008-08-05, 12:49 PM
Pretty good overall. The songs were surprisingly catchy, and the turn from total cheese to a more serious tone was nice.

Check out Captain Hammer, Be Like Me! like from the home page as well...pretty funny stuff also.

chiasaur11
2008-08-05, 06:16 PM
So, anything anyone'd think would be good in a sequel?

Captain Hammer being forced to man up and be a hero or be crushed... horribly would be an interesting bookend to the birth of a villian.

Not that the "hero" rather than "victim" option seems likely at this juncture.

PirateMonk
2008-08-06, 08:28 PM
It's awesome. Favorite songs are "Freeze Ray"/"Laundry Day", Brand New Day, and a tie between "Slipping" and the finale in Act III.

What are people's opinions on song names?

The Extinguisher
2008-08-06, 10:08 PM
My favourite has to be "Slipping".

But there's just so much to pick up on that you don't see. For example, I didn't notice that Billy was spying on Penny and Captain Hammer at the soup kitchen in a fake moustache and pretending to serve soup until my third time watching.

Raistlin1040
2008-08-06, 10:10 PM
It was made of awesome.

RTGoodman
2008-08-06, 10:12 PM
For example, I didn't notice that Billy was spying on Penny and Captain Hammer at the soup kitchen in a fake moustache and pretending to serve soup until my third time watching.

Apparently a LOT of people missed that. I noticed it, and I still laugh every time. :smallbiggrin:

I like "Laundry Day/Freeze Ray," "Brand New Day," and "Finale," but I like almost ALL the songs. I heard somewhere that they're putting out a soundtrack soon - anyone else know if that's true?

BRC
2008-08-06, 10:14 PM
Apparently a LOT of people missed that. I noticed it, and I still laugh every time. :smallbiggrin:

I like "Laundry Day/Freeze Ray," "Brand New Day," and "Finale," but I like almost ALL the songs. I heard somewhere that they're putting out a soundtrack soon - anyone else know if that's true?

I Saw that the soup kitchen guy wasn't really putting soup into the bowl, but I didn't notice it was billy.

FoE
2008-08-06, 10:15 PM
I just listened to "So They Say" again. It's pretty high on the awesome scale. :smallbiggrin:

"It's a good day to be homeless."

"We have a problem with HEEEEEEER!"

BooTheHamster
2008-08-06, 10:18 PM

It's true. It'll be available for download on iTunes. There's also going to be a DVD release. I don't know when exactly, but it'll be sometime before Christmas for the DVD and sometime in the next few months for the soundtrack.

BRC
2008-08-06, 10:24 PM
Can I just say that the phrase "Brand New Day" will now always carry sinister connotations for me.

PirateMonk
2008-08-06, 10:29 PM

Also, can anyone do that thing Dr. Horrible does with his fingers?

BooTheHamster
2008-08-06, 10:30 PM
Can I just say that the phrase "Brand New Day" will now always carry sinister connotations for me.

But it's a brand new day and the sun is high, the birds are singing 'cuz you're gonna die. In what possible way is that even remotely sinister?

And I tried that thing with the fingers, but it's hard to go at that speed.

Connington
2008-08-06, 10:44 PM
I Saw that the soup kitchen guy wasn't really putting soup into the bowl, but I didn't notice it was billy.

Same here. That really seemed weird to me. My only explanation was that Penny was bit oblivious. Apparently a mustache really is a great disguise

@Boo The Hamster. Yeah I noticed. That's hilarious.

hanzo66
2008-08-07, 12:13 AM
I think the first time I saw the On the Rise song I missed Billy's disguise, but a second viewing I got it. It's fun with that little touch.

Taekwondodo
2008-08-07, 01:31 PM
I'm sorry your asking why the police don't do anything? When do they ever in anything with villains and heroes? The hero is supposed to sort everything out alone. The problem is when you try and put real life on top of fiction...

Anyhooo... Dr. Horrible FTW though i would say that as I love musicals, anyone seen the scrubs episode My Musical? The bittersweet ending is just brilliant and the cut at the end where he says "a thing" actually showing his true feelings that even though he has what he thought he wanted he really only wanted a girl to notice him and now she's gone life isn't really worth it any more.:smallsigh: Hmmm... it made more sense in my head.

North
2008-08-07, 06:08 PM
I think the first time I saw the On the Rise song I missed Billy's disguise, but a second viewing I got it. It's fun with that little touch.

Yeah, same here. Im gonna blame it on the tiny itunes screen since I normally notice the little stuff like that. :smallwink:

Fave song has got to be "Freeze Ray" and "Brand New Day". "So They Say" gets an honourable mention though.

GrassyGnoll
2008-08-07, 06:20 PM

That eclipsed the entire scene for me. Especially the stink eye.

Brand New Day takes the lead by far. Slipping also is worth distinction. The Bad Horse letters are in a class of their own.

P.S. The Puppeteer class is not dead yet. Just taking a look over Master of Masks before.

The Extinguisher
2008-08-08, 12:57 AM
I want that Bad Horse ring tone.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-08-08, 02:36 AM
Also, can anyone do that thing Dr. Horrible does with his fingers?
I am so totally going to train myself to do that. It's just a matter of starting slow and building up speed.

The Extinguisher
2008-08-09, 03:59 PM
You know the more I think about it, the more I think a sequel would be a bad idea. As awesome as it would be, the series is meant to be Dr Horrible's orgin story.

hanzo66
2008-08-09, 10:39 PM
My favorite songs would be "On the Rise" (I love the contrast with Billy's cynicism and pain with Penny's optimism and joy), Brand New Day (I like the song's portrayal of him finally having enough), Slipping (along with NPH's evil laughter beforehand) and the So They Say song (amusing exposition).

Icewalker
2008-08-10, 04:26 AM
I loved it. Watched it just the other day.

"It's a brand new day
and the sun is high
all the birds are singing
that you're gonna die"

That's my favorite song, I'd say. Other than that, the one at the beginning of Act 2 where Billy and Penny have their parallel songs that meet up/rhyme at the end of each line, with completely different, even opposite, meanings. Really well done.

I feel that the best scene is the final confrontation in Act 3. The song is great, as with all the others, but it isn't one of my favorites, the scene is amazing though, with the shifting lighting, and his acting. Also, I love the way he whirls and pulls out the death ray.

thorgrim29
2008-08-12, 04:24 PM
I love it to death.... must have watched it 6 times, and made a bunch of other people look at it, and they all liked it, amazing writing and acting.

I like every song, but there's a special place in my heart for slipping and brand new day, as well as the evil/rapture song.
But you know, I dont know how well a sequel would work, I mean Captain hammer is no treath, penny is dead, and Billy is in the ELOE and has his own fanclub. A sequel would almost have to feature a hero going after Doc Horrible, maybe starting as Captain Hammer's sidekick, and eventually either ending up as the docs new allie of turning him back into a idealistic anarchist.

chiasaur11
2008-08-12, 06:24 PM
I love it to death.... must have watched it 6 times, and made a bunch of other people look at it, and they all liked it, amazing writing and acting.

I like every song, but there's a special place in my heart for slipping and brand new day, as well as the evil/rapture song.
But you know, I dont know how well a sequel would work, I mean Captain hammer is no treath, penny is dead, and Billy is in the ELOE and has his own fanclub. A sequel would almost have to feature a hero going after Doc Horrible, maybe starting as Captain Hammer's sidekick, and eventually either ending up as the docs new allie of turning him back into a idealistic anarchist.

Or just being a hero against the Doc.

The sequel doesn't need to be Horrible's story again, it could be someone else's.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-12, 06:29 PM
Opening song of act II takes the proverbial cake, as does "A man's gotta do"

Any ideas on how to get these songs OUT of your head? Seriously, really catchy, here folks!

BooTheHamster
2008-08-12, 06:39 PM
Opening song of act II takes the proverbial cake, as does "A man's gotta do"

Any ideas on how to get these songs OUT of your head? Seriously, really catchy, here folks!

By listening to the other Dr. Horrible songs... it's a vicious cycle, I know.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-12, 06:44 PM
Right now I have "A Man's gotta do" and "Brand new day" sparring for dominance of my vocal cords.

I'm at work, this cannot be happening. :smalleek:

Raiser Blade
2008-08-12, 08:16 PM
My favorites are:
Brand New Day
On the Rise
A man's gotta do
Tie: Everyone's a hero/So they say

Heck they're all great!

hanzo66
2008-08-12, 10:21 PM
So THAT'S why they call it the Sing-Along Blog!

Joran
2008-08-13, 12:47 PM
So THAT'S why they call it the Sing-Along Blog!

My friend was sad that there were no sing-along subtitles at the bottom.

kpenguin
2008-08-13, 12:49 PM
How long do you think it'll be before someone posts a sing-along version of Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, complete with a bouncing ball, on YouTube?

kamikasei
2008-08-13, 12:59 PM
How long do you think it'll be before someone posts a sing-along version of Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, complete with a bouncing ball, on YouTube?

DVD extras, man. Incentive to buy.

FoE
2008-08-13, 01:02 PM
I wonder how they'll pull that off in the Broadway production ...

Eldan
2008-08-13, 03:27 PM
Cardboard signs.

GrassyGnoll
2008-08-13, 03:48 PM

Woah, how'd that 'h' find itself 4 letters to the right? I think the sequel they're planning is a prequel, if not I have three words for you:

Rise zombie Penny!

Eldan
2008-08-13, 04:14 PM
He should do it the Frankenstein way. Both doctors, after all.

chiasaur11
2008-08-13, 04:31 PM
He should do it the Frankenstein way. Both doctors, after all.

AND that sort of method goes much less bad than zombies. You treat the monster with love and respect, it gives you a fair shake too.

Victor F. was a bit of a doofus, wasn't he?

Otempora
2008-08-14, 10:34 AM

Don't forget, NPH is a professional singer. He's done Sondheim, who's notoriously difficult.

/Broadway nerd

This is my first exposure to Joss Whedon (I keep on meaning to check out Buffy and/or Firefly, but I haven't gotten around to it), but I really enjoyed it. "On the Rise" and "Brand New Day" are pretty awesome. I LOVE NPH's smile at the beginning of "Brand New Day". It was also fun to watch Nathan Fillion hamming it up.

As for the ending, I got spoiled before I watched it, so it didn't have the same impact. But then when I watched it with my cousin, I got the real gut-punch feeling that everyone was talking about. The switch is insanely abrupt, and it works.

So, yeah.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-18, 12:52 AM
I've discovered the cure for too many Doctor Horrible songs stuck in your head.

Watching other muscials!

Right now, its Dr. Horrible and Sweeney Todd.
EPIC Battle.

RTGoodman
2008-08-18, 12:57 AM
I've discovered the cure for too many Doctor Horrible songs stuck in your head.

Watching other muscials!

Right now, its Dr. Horrible and Sweeney Todd.
EPIC Battle.

Yeah, I tried the same, but know I've got "Wicked" and "Jesus Christ Superstar" stuck in there. :smallsigh:

Helanna
2008-08-18, 01:10 PM
I've watched it like 4 times now, it's definitely pretty awesome. I've begun checking out Firefly and Buffy, and I have to say that Joss Whedon is a master.

The second time I watched it was directly after I read A Game of Thrones. Anyone else notice one of the email-ers was named Johnny Snow? Like Jon Snow? I'm probably noticing non-existant connections, but still.

kamikasei
2008-08-18, 01:19 PM
The second time I watched it was directly after I read A Game of Thrones. Anyone else notice one of the email-ers was named Johnny Snow? Like Jon Snow? I'm probably noticing non-existant connections, but still.

I didn't pick up on that, but note that Johnny Snow is a cold-themed supervillain, so not much grounds to infer a connection.

darkblade
2008-08-18, 05:27 PM
I didn't pick up on that, but note that Johnny Snow is a cold-themed supervillain, so not much grounds to infer a connection.

Johnny Snow calls himself the Nemesis of a supervillian. Wouldn't that by default make him a superhero?

kamikasei
2008-08-18, 05:33 PM
Johnny Snow calls himself the Nemesis of a supervillian. Wouldn't that by default make him a superhero?

Nah, supervillains can be one another's nemeses. I definitely got the impression he was supposed to be a villain, but that may just be because Captain Hammer was the only "hero" really mentioned.

Cakedeath
2008-08-19, 07:02 PM
I liked it a lot. unfortunetly, when I tried to show my friends, I could only buy it on itunes. Which I did, eventually.

I'm pretty sure you can watch it on www.hulu.com for free still.
edit* sorry, didn't see the part in white

Anyways, I thought Dr. Horrible's sing along blog was great. I'm planning to buy the DVD when I can. That scene where Dr. Horrible was in the soup kitchen wearing a fake moustache was hillarious. He reminded me of those videlectrix guys from Homestarrunner.
I'm hoping for a sequel, even though it would probably ruin it.

The Extinguisher
2008-08-19, 07:08 PM
Damn you Hulu. Now how am I going to get my daily fix of Horrible up here in the frozen northlands?

hanzo66
2008-08-20, 12:26 AM
Nah, supervillains can be one another's nemeses. I definitely got the impression he was supposed to be a villain, but that may just be because Captain Hammer was the only "hero" really mentioned.

I would assume that if there are villains, there would also be a few heroes to clean up the place. Either that or it's a Crapsack World where Hammer's the only actual hero (at least for California).

darkblade
2008-08-20, 08:14 AM
I would assume that if there are villains, there would also be a few heroes to clean up the place. Either that or it's a Crapsack World where Hammer's the only actual hero (at least for California).

And Captain Hammer isn't really much of a hero anyways.

Blue Paladin
2008-08-20, 09:51 AM
Nah, supervillains can be one another's nemeses. I definitely got the impression he was supposed to be a villain, but that may just be because Captain Hammer was the only "hero" really mentioned.Huh. I got the impression Johnny Snow was a hero, simply because he didn't show up at the end of episode 3... Besides, when supervillains are one another's nemeses, one of them usually dies.

kamikasei
2008-08-20, 09:58 AM
Huh. I got the impression Johnny Snow was a hero, simply because he didn't show up at the end of episode 3... Besides, when supervillains are one another's nemeses, one of them usually dies.

I may simply be prejudiced against cold-based supers. My mind goes to Mr. Freeze and Captain Cold before Iceman or Frozone.

kpenguin
2008-08-20, 11:11 AM
I may simply be prejudiced against cold-based supers. My mind goes to Mr. Freeze and Captain Cold before Iceman or Frozone.

Killer Frost! Don't forget about Killer Frost!:smalltongue:

yeaaaah. Johnny Snow's probably a wannabe superhero, at most on the same scale Horrible was at the beginning and least on the scale Moist is.

Raiser Blade
2008-08-20, 07:55 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l49/thecheat2/02.gif

:smallbiggrin:

Gnomish Lab
2008-10-29, 06:14 AM
I'm pretty sure you can watch it on www.hulu.com for free still.

It apears it is only for Americans.
Does anybody knows if (and where) us non-americans can watch it?

Tirian
2008-10-29, 11:02 AM

If you're in the UK or Australia, apparently you can buy it from your regional iTunes store. Otherwise, you're stuck waiting for the DVD, which is currently at "hopefully shipping by Christmas".

Krrth
2008-10-29, 11:47 AM
You can try Drhorrible.com. I don't know if it will work for you, but the entire three-part show is there.

http://drhorrible.com/mushortio.html

darkblade
2008-10-29, 02:51 PM
You can try Drhorrible.com. I don't know if it will work for you, but the entire three-part show is there.

http://drhorrible.com/mushortio.html

No thats done with a video linked to Hulu so it only plays...in America. Sorry couldn't resist.

Shraik
2008-10-29, 07:04 PM
I liked this. NPH was awesome. It's lead the people who showed me it and myself to believe NPH would make a good riddler

NordicBearskin
2008-10-29, 11:44 PM

It's been uploaded more then once onto both Youtube and Dailymotion.

Sholos
2008-10-30, 09:46 AM
Of course, the legality of it being on YouTube and Dailymotion is somewhat questionable, yes? Unless I'm missing something? Who uploaded it to those places?

NordicBearskin
2008-10-31, 02:02 AM
Given that Whedon et all clearly hate money itself, as evidenced by their nonsensically cack-handed attempts to sell their product, I honestly don't care.

(And I'm not sure if it's technically illegal or not, but it's been up for months and Yt/Dm doesn't seem to have any problems with it)

thorgrim29
2008-10-31, 09:49 AM
So.... is a dvd release coming?

Sholos
2008-10-31, 11:12 AM
Given that Whedon et all clearly hate money itself, as evidenced by their nonsensically cack-handed attempts to sell their product, I honestly don't care.

(And I'm not sure if it's technically illegal or not, but it's been up for months and Yt/Dm doesn't seem to have any problems with it)

The heck are you talking about? Fox hates money, hence why good shows keep getting canceled. Where did you get the idea that Whedon hates money?

quick_comment
2008-12-06, 08:36 AM
So.... is a dvd release coming?

Not only is a dvd release coming, but it's available for preorder on Amazon. Link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M5UDGS?ie=UTF8&tag=drhorr-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001M5UDGS)

thorgrim29
2008-12-06, 05:20 PM
you're kidding me, I already ordered my christmas Amazon stuff

Cleverdan22
2008-12-08, 06:33 PM
I love Dr. Horrible, and ironically enough, this is the thing that finally made me break down and buy Firefly, which I am now in love with.

Tirian
2008-12-08, 06:44 PM
I love Dr. Horrible, and ironically enough, this is the thing that finally made me break down and buy Firefly, which I am now in love with.

You have chosen wisely. Of course, for folks more frugal than you, Firefly is also on Hulu, as are the first two seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. (The first season of Angel is too, but I'm less comfortable in recommending that.)

Deth Muncher
2008-12-10, 11:58 PM
So, on a highly related note, any Playgrounders who are going to be in Williamsburg, Virginia on January 16th '09 need to come to Marscon. Why, might you ask? Because we're doing a shadowcast of Dr. H, much in the same vein as what they did at Dragon Con. Hilarity promises to ensue.

/shameless plug