PDA

View Full Version : Dear Dungeons and Dragons

StickMan
2008-07-19, 07:33 PM
Dear Dungeons and Dragons,

Its always hard to start something out like this its been a few months since we last talked. You see when I found out that you were changing I was hurt it was like all the good times we had had togther meant nothing to you. I loved all of those times, some of the best of my life. Oh the adventures we had together fighting dragons, spoiling the evil plans of demons, good times. Your monsters were exciting and the classes each had there own definition.

Then however I found out you were changing a new edition of the game. Worse yet all my source books that I had gotten for you we're now like that Ipod from 3 years ago greatly outdated. Of course this also meant all the custom work I had done for you was also use less in this new direction you were going.

But then I guess times have changed people want a more balanced system. I understand you have millions of players not just me, you have to adapt to the markets. Sure to me it feels like the your now the worlds slowest game of world of warcraft but then I hate world of warcraft.

I have to be honest with you I've been seeing other gaming systems, mostly Mutants and Masterminds... we're going steady now. I know I know you must be thinking how could you be playing mutants and masterminds your so different. I just think after ending things with you I need something different something a little more open and free.

Here is the thing though you've really have not changed all that much you're still all about fighting dragons, demons and the dark forces. Naturally I can still create a back stabbing halfling. I can't even make characters with four different Elven races with your new core system so things have not changed all that much. But some how I don't think it would be the same. Maybe some time when you feel like it we could get together again for some 3.5 when your feeling nostalgic. I still own all of those source books, and hey we could even hook up with mutants and masterminds have a game setting in a DND setting or whatever. I don't want things to be awkward between the two of you.

Your old friend,
Stickman

The New Bruceski
2008-07-19, 07:35 PM
...did you just ask D&D to have a threesome in a Dear John letter?

Pelfaid
2008-07-19, 08:02 PM
That is both awesome and creepy at the same time.

Blackdrop
2008-07-19, 08:08 PM
Emphasis on the creepy.

StickMan
2008-07-19, 08:09 PM
...did you just ask D&D to have a threesome in a Dear John letter?

Re-reads letter.

Yes yes I think I just did. Its really more like a really messed up booty call though.

Conners
2008-07-19, 09:47 PM
Heheheheheh.... Nicely done :smalltongue:.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-07-19, 10:09 PM
Another one...
I'm sure DnD is devastated by your dissaproval.

RoboticSheeple
2008-07-20, 12:03 AM
Really, can we just not do these kind of things?

SolkaTruesilver
2008-07-20, 01:29 AM
What would be the fun in not doing it?

AstralFire
2008-07-20, 03:48 AM
What would be the fun in not doing it?

Better threads, for one thing.

Talic
2008-07-20, 03:51 AM
I thought it was funny, personally.

Rule 1 of forum reading: If you don't like it, you can move on and not followup. No need to deny everyone else their fun.

_Zoot_
2008-07-20, 06:10 AM
:smallconfused: Interesting.... Not bad:smallsmile:

DeathQuaker
2008-07-20, 10:07 AM
See, I see it more like 4th Ed is just 3.5's shiny hot sister you were just introduced to; she's even kind of good in the brains department, but she just has no personality. And for some people, she's hot, she's hard working, she's smart, that's enough. For other people, the chemistry's just not there.

So while some are going to get in bed with 4th, other people are going to stick with the gal who's been faithful to them all these years. She's a little clumsy because her balance is off, but you and she have worked together to compensate for that and other problems you've had. You've done the "house rules" couples therapy, and you know she works great in group sessions. So if you're in that boat, ignore that little tramp 4th sashaying past, and keep on those wonderful dates with 3.5 that you love so much.

Or of course, yeah, dump'em both for Mutants and Masterminds. She looks fantastic in spandex and is willing to try anything.

:smallwink::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggr in:

RoboticSheeple
2008-07-20, 10:29 AM
I thought it was funny, personally.

Rule 1 of forum reading: If you don't like it, you can move on and not followup. No need to deny everyone else their fun.

Rule one of life, {Scrubbed}

Project_Mayhem
2008-07-20, 10:42 AM
{Scrubbed}

Isn't that just what you did by responding a second time though?

Jayabalard
2008-07-20, 10:42 AM
Really, can we just not do these kind of things? {Scrubbed}

ArmorArmadillo
2008-07-20, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=Jayabalard;4565194]{scrubbed}QUOTE]
Bigger issue would be that this is hardly original; people have been doing these "Farewell 4th edition" letters quite a lot, to the point where it was parodied in "Cooking with DnD".

And Rule 0 of the Internet: If you post something you are submitting it to be agreed with or disagreed with by people online, and you shouldn't complain when people do either.

fleet
2008-07-20, 11:49 AM
I don't know it's funny regardless of your stance in the argument. Must we be so partisan, we can't enjoy good comedy? Don't make me compare dnd to the U.S presidential race. ... (one sec, i need to start a new thread for that one)

Roland St. Jude
2008-07-20, 12:57 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: If someone posts a thread (or even a single post) that violates our Forum Rules, please report the offending post. Otherwise, people are allowed to discuss what they like here as long as they do so in manner that accords with our Rules. Don't try to shut other people up or insult them. This should be obvious, I would think, but don't call others names or characterize there comments for them.

Be nice.

Moff Chumley
2008-07-20, 01:19 PM
Can I just say? Comparing rpg's to girls is both ironic on several levels, completely true, hilarious, and extremely telling. :smallannoyed:

Tam_OConnor
2008-07-20, 01:57 PM
Dear Deathquaker,

Your analogies made my day. Thanks for being awesome.

StickMan
2008-07-20, 02:38 PM
OK well based on the number of scrubs this clearly has spun out of control so I just want to say a few things:

1. I basically stopped coming to this board after the news about fourth edition so if there have been a large number of letters like this I was completely unaware of this.

2. I wrote this as a joke about how people (my self included) treat DND. It was largely for my own entertainment. Also it was my way of saying that even though I don't care all that much for DND 4.0 that is hardly DND's fault and I should not just give up on the game I've played for years.

3. Having now read 4th edition rules I think the new game is a perfectly usable gaming system. Not one I like, but I think its a fine game and people who want to play it should and people who don't should keep playing 3.5 or what ever and just shut up about how they don't like the new game all ready.

4. I would like to point out that by posting on a thread you don't like you only keep the thread alive longer, you provoke response from other posters who disagree with you and likely the OP. The entire time I've been on this forum I've never had to have the first page of a tread I started so heavy scrubbed, especially a not because of post that was based in friendly satire.
I truly hope that in my absence that actions like this have not become common or I feel I may actually not come back. That would be sad considering how much times I've spent on this forum over the last 2 years.

Stickman

ArmorArmadillo
2008-07-20, 06:05 PM
4. I would like to point out that by posting on a thread you don't like you only keep the thread alive longer, you provoke response from other posters who disagree with you and likely the OP. The entire time I've been on this forum I've never had to have the first page of a tread I started so heavy scrubbed, especially a not because of post that was based in friendly satire.
I truly hope that in my absence that actions like this have not become common or I feel I may actually not come back. That would be sad considering how much times I've spent on this forum over the last 2 years.

Stickman
This is the norm for pretty much the entire internet. Here it's at least nice because flaming is under control.

AstralFire
2008-07-20, 07:46 PM
For what it's worth, I apologize. I've seen a big saturation of this kind of thread and it was the first thing I saw when I came back after the downtime.

Ralfarius
2008-07-20, 10:21 PM
Dear Stickman,

Inside you will find enclosed a restraining order. The state has decided you are not to come within 100 yards of me or my affiliated products. I'm sorry it's come to this, but all the vague and threatening letters have simply made my life too difficult. I hope you understand.

Regards,
Dungeons & Dragons

(I'm just joshing)

SolkaTruesilver
2008-07-21, 12:12 AM
Ohhh... She's not taking this well..

Come Stickman, I'll present you to my actual hottie: WFRP 2nd Edition. I'm sure you'll like her; when you do something stupid, she kills you quickly.

Helgraf
2008-07-21, 01:35 AM
Ohhh... She's not taking this well..

Come Stickman, I'll present you to my actual hottie: WFRP 2nd Edition. I'm sure you'll like her; when you do something stupid, she kills you quickly.

Mmmm, yeah. I know WFRP 2E. She'll kill you quickly either way.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-07-21, 01:38 AM
Mmmm, yeah. I know WFRP 2E. She'll kill you quickly either way.

Off course not! Stickman, don't listen to Helgraf! WFRP 2E will not kill you either way!

The other way, she'll turn you into a mutant, or make you insane. It's better, isn't it? My relationship with her is.. spiky, at best.

Helgraf
2008-07-21, 01:41 AM
Off course not! Stickman, don't listen to Helgraf! WFRP 2E will not kill you either way!

The other way, she'll turn you into a mutant, or make you insane. It's better, isn't it? My relationship with her is.. spiky, at best.

Admittedly on the plus side, you can rebuild a new interface to use with her in less than ten minutes once you've done it a time or two. That is still considerably quicker than building a character in 3.x or 4th edition D&D.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-07-21, 01:50 AM
Admittedly on the plus side, you can rebuild a new interface to use with her in less than ten minutes once you've done it a time or two. That is still considerably quicker than building a character in 3.x or 4th edition D&D.

Also, the advantage of WFRP 2nd is, it's not the character-build that matters: it's how you use it.

No longer your critical choices are "Will I take 5 levels of wizards then become a Master of Many Form, then take Feat X and Y?". Decisions taken on the battlefield (and before) will have a lot more influence than you class career choice.

(ex: in my previous game, me and my 2 co-adventurers met 5 cultits of Nurgle along with their Chaos-Priest. The Chaos-priest looked very powerful. I had (luckily) convince my fellow players to load crossbow while exploring, just to "give us an edge in case of trouble". Result: After 3 crossbow bolts, the priest and 1 mook was already killed. As I said, combat is deadly. The "edge" can make a helluva difference, and you better THINK about the edges you want to take in combat, rather than "which class will I take?")

Helgraf
2008-07-21, 02:00 AM
Also, the advantage of WFRP 2nd is, it's not the character-build that matters: it's how you use it.

No longer your critical choices are "Will I take 5 levels of wizards then become a Master of Many Form, then take Feat X and Y?". Decisions taken on the battlefield (and before) will have a lot more influence than you class career choice.

(ex: in my previous game, me and my 2 co-adventurers met 5 cultits of Nurgle along with their Chaos-Priest. The Chaos-priest looked very powerful. I had (luckily) convince my fellow players to load crossbow while exploring, just to "give us an edge in case of trouble". Result: After 3 crossbow bolts, the priest and 1 mook was already killed. As I said, combat is deadly. The "edge" can make a helluva difference, and you better THINK about the edges you want to take in combat, rather than "which class will I take?")

Well since there's no levelling at all, yeah. There's a number of Basic Careers that give you fighting ability on par or superior to a 2nd Tier Career off of a noncombatant basic career.

And yes, WFRP encourages smart tactics - like outnumbering your opponents 2:1 - or, even better when you can manage it 3:1. Or maneovering them off ledges, into rivers and pits and the like. Or using missile weapons whenever feasable, since they can't be dodged or parried. Also, the relative spread of Wound levels is close enough that a mob of 10 guys is pretty much never something you can just ignore unless you're both heavily armored (5 AP Plate over Chain over Leather), and possess a high Toughness (TB 5+)

Of course, even the best armoured rock 'ard dwarf can be taken down by a properly trained 3rd Tier combat career (like, say, Assassin, or Captain).

Learning when to fight and when to evade is critical. Talking your way out of fights is often a good idea if the enemy is not inimicably hostile toward you.

So yeah. WFRP 2E ... she already knows how to kill you - it's just a matter of time. If you're a danger junkie, she'll certainly punch your ticket.

DigoDragon
2008-07-21, 07:29 AM
Or of course, yeah, dump'em both for Mutants and Masterminds. She looks fantastic in spandex and is willing to try anything.
(Snipped for space)

Bwa ha ha ha, DeathQuaker, that made my morning! :smallbiggrin: Thank you. :smallsmile:

Kiara LeSabre
2008-07-21, 07:40 AM
3.x referred to as "nostalgic," as if it were the way D&D was "in the old days."

Now that's funny. Funny for a wholly unintentional reason, but funny.

You crazy kids.

Prophaniti
2008-07-21, 07:46 AM

This was, by far, the funniest thing on the thread.

I'm totally going steady with her right now (don't tell my wife :smallwink:).

I'm even using the system to run my homebrew setting, that's how much I love the deadly combat and no levels career system. Though, in my setting your far less likely to go insane, so we don't use that part much. I've thrown disturbing aberattion-type monsters at the party specifically so they'd have to make fear checks and gain Insanity Points, because I miss it so.