PDA

View Full Version : Broken in a different way

Pie Guy
2008-07-20, 10:00 AM
I am simply wondering if there is a way to strip castors of all spell types.

Any feats, classes, items, races or variants will be allowed.

Ent
2008-07-20, 10:10 AM
Are you the DM?

Gorbash
2008-07-20, 10:15 AM
Kill them?

You didn't specify for how long...

Roderick_BR
2008-07-20, 10:18 AM
In-game? Anything that lowers a casting stat to less than the minimum (usually Int, Wis, or Cha lower than 10) will keep a character from casting spells. He can still cast from wands, staffs, and scrolls, though.
Maybe an epic level spell, or something cast by a deity could "lock" a caster's ability to normally cast spells. I don't know if there's anything already pubished with it. You will have to make one.

BRC
2008-07-20, 10:21 AM
The spell Feebleminded

Death

Unconciousness

Antimagic Fields

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-20, 10:23 AM
Why do you want to do this? It could be relevant in regards to the best way to do it (I agree with BRC's suggestions).

Frost
2008-07-20, 10:24 AM
Antimagic Fields

Nope, can still cast all kinds of fun spells, including ones that break line of effect of the AMF.

fleet
2008-07-20, 11:31 AM
Large numbers of potions of inebriation work fairly well. Try casting magic missile after your 9th pint of ale. Not sure what the arcane spell failure chance for standing up and shouting Maic, MAhic Measle. is, but it has got to be pretty high.

Bayar
2008-07-20, 11:34 AM
Stab them in their sleep. No more caster levels, no more problems :smallbiggrin:

And now, seriously. Grapple checks are usually the best way to kill a spellcaster. Just watch out when they start casting Evard's black tentacle/Kelpstrand/Wild shape into a Urophion.

Pie Guy
2008-07-20, 05:34 PM
I was actually talking about schools of magic, like evocation.

There is no level limit, feat limit, or restriction of any sort.Just make it so s/he can't cast what so ever, because they've literally ran out of castable schools.

Jayngfet
2008-07-20, 05:41 PM
Try to make a small item with antimagic.

Get them to swallow the item, cut them open and stick it ear a vital organ, ect...

Eldritch_Ent
2008-07-20, 05:57 PM
Specialized Spellcasters have to give up 3 schools

some prestige classes, like Incantatrix, make you give up one.

Unfortunately, you can never give up a school you specialized in, or Divination, so no, there's no way to do that.

Pie Guy
2008-07-20, 06:20 PM
Well, that's no fun.
I want the enemies to run in fear as Bob no-school walks along with a weapon in hand, because he can't do anything with his spells.:smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2008-07-20, 10:01 PM
Well, that's no fun.
I want the enemies to run in fear as Bob no-school walks along with a weapon in hand, because he can't do anything with his spells.:smallbiggrin:

Well, you could be a Wizard with 9 Int.
Multiclass after a certain level' find right Prc and you can get good bab.
Sure, you'll suck with those wasted wizard levels guess... but you can.

Like Wizard 6 (specialize into Conjuration so you can get Abrupt Teleport PHB 2 ability)/Fighter 2/Cool Priestige Class X
I mean, teleporting 5 ft is cool even if you are as melee warrior.

Stormthorn
2008-07-20, 10:05 PM

In BG:2 i had a gnome berserker-kit fighter with cursed boots that made him teleport all over the place.

Good times. Sending him in, watching the enemies flie and be cut down. Having him turn on the party. Watching the party flee and be cut down.

erikun
2008-07-20, 10:24 PM
Well, that's no fun.
Be a commoner. :p

Deth Muncher
2008-07-20, 10:35 PM
Oh, I know! There's something about...crap. It's like Antimagic Field, or Mordenkain's Disjunction, or Dispel, or something. But if you do it to an artefact, there's a goodish chance you'll lose all spellcasting ability. And that's effing CORE. Don't screw with the PHB.

Eurus
2008-07-20, 10:44 PM
Remember also, there are some spells labeled Universal. So no matter how many schools you barred, you'd have all the spells from Divination, Universal, and whatever you specialized as. So barring schools won't really cut it. So basically, I agree that the easiest way to play a spellcaster who is unable to cast spells is to just leave them with a primary casting score of nine or less. Ten, if you want to leave them with a few cantrips. XD

The only question is what you'd actually do. I mean, swinging a stick might be fun for one session, but even if you survive I doubt the novelty would last. Maybe if you managed to get an ultra souped-up familiar to fight for you... But you wouldn't have any spells to buff it. Hmm...

EDIT: Oh, I believe you're referring to the extremely bad things that happen to people who Disjunct artifacts. Bad stuff, man. *shudder* ...Although, it'd make for a heck of a backstory...

TheCountAlucard
2008-07-20, 10:58 PM
How about a Vow of Poverty Wizard?

TempusCCK
2008-07-20, 11:14 PM
There is a use of Bestow Curse that alot of people overlook, it actually allows you to cast any kind of curse you want on a character, but gives you some examples of a guideline that you can use, subject to DM fiat.

An interesting curse would be banning a wizard from using a certain school of spells.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-21, 12:19 AM
Why would you want spellcasters which can't cast magic? You may as well just make your players use Commoners, Experts or Aristocrats depending on which class they wanted to use.

marjan
2008-07-21, 03:33 AM
Well, you could be a Wizard with 9 Int.
Multiclass after a certain level' find right Prc and you can get good bab.
Sure, you'll suck with those wasted wizard levels guess... but you can.

Like Wizard 6 (specialize into Conjuration so you can get Abrupt Teleport PHB 2 ability)/Fighter 2/Cool Priestige Class X

You won't be teleporting with 9 int. Abrupt Jaunt is usable int times per day.

monty
2008-07-21, 11:52 AM
How about a Vow of Poverty Wizard?

Even if your DM's a jerk and doesn't let you have a spellbook, there's ways around that. Spell Mastery, for one. And don't forget, you can always prepare Read Magic.

kamikasei
2008-07-21, 12:15 PM
Oh, I know! There's something about...crap. It's like Antimagic Field, or Mordenkain's Disjunction, or Dispel, or something. But if you do it to an artefact, there's a goodish chance you'll lose all spellcasting ability. And that's effing CORE. Don't screw with the PHB.

Yep, Mordenkainen's Disjunction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesDisjunction.htm).

Even artifacts are subject to disjunction, though there is only a 1% chance per caster level of actually affecting such powerful items. Additionally, if an artifact is destroyed, you must make a DC 25 Will save or permanently lose all spellcasting abilities. (These abilities cannot be recovered by mortal magic, not even miracle or wish.)

Although that's not all that good-ish a chance for a high-level wizard.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-07-21, 02:07 PM
the Advanced Players Manual from Green Ronin publishing has rules and mechanics to allow players to be immune to schools of magic and Psionics. I took Immune to Necromancy. Have fun Mr. Finger of Death lover! Muwahaha!

monty
2008-07-21, 03:08 PM
Yep, Mordenkainen's Disjunction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesDisjunction.htm).

Although that's not all that good-ish a chance for a high-level wizard.

Natural 1 still fails, though. I think I'd be careful with even a 1 in 20 chance of becoming useless forever.

kamikasei
2008-07-21, 03:16 PM
Natural 1 still fails, though. I think I'd be careful with even a 1 in 20 chance of becoming useless forever.

Yeah, but that's as low as a chance gets on a save, not what I'd call "good-ish". Thinking about it, though, how hard is a DC25 Will save for a Wizard 20? +12 base, +5 cloak, you're still looking at a failure on a 7 or lower. Am I missing a bunch of things any high-level Wizard would have boosting their saves?

Siosilvar
2008-07-21, 03:22 PM
Wisdom modifier in the range of +1-+2 probably, but that's still a 25% chance of useless-ness.

Maybe a custom magic item +4 sacred bonus to saves?

marjan
2008-07-21, 04:12 PM
Yeah, but that's as low as a chance gets on a save, not what I'd call "good-ish". Thinking about it, though, how hard is a DC25 Will save for a Wizard 20? +12 base, +5 cloak, you're still looking at a failure on a 7 or lower. Am I missing a bunch of things any high-level Wizard would have boosting their saves?

Luckstone gives +1 luck bonus, one of the Ioun Stones (I always forget the color) gives +1 competence and if you are not in Core, you have Superior Resistance for +1 over the Cloak of Resistance. And even if the wizard started with 8 wis, he/she can get the +2 modifier, so that would require him/her to roll 2 to pass the save.

Frost
2008-07-21, 05:22 PM

The main thing you are missing is PrCs. Which every single dip gives a +2 for that level. Generally speaking, Wizard base will saves are much greater then +12 at level 20.

monty
2008-07-21, 10:47 PM
Yeah, but that's as low as a chance gets on a save, not what I'd call "good-ish".

Regardless, I'd be careful. Few things are that permanent. In most cases, the worst a failed save can do is kill you, and that can be fixed (relatively) easily with a single spell. This basically says that, short of DM fiat, you're a commoner with fancy gear for the rest of your life.

ericgrau
2008-07-22, 01:24 PM
DM nerfing a caster:
Nightmare.
Drain his relevant ability score below 10 + (max allowed spell level).

caster nerfing himself:
wizard 1/sorc 1/cleric 1/druid 1/bard 1. Continue to level them up evenly. Technically you still have spells but..
Make a low cha bard. I've considered building a bard with cha as a dump stat, just to show that cha isn't everything for him (and if you focus on only his cha stuff, he'll be in almost every single way weaker than another class trying to do the same).
Dump the main caster stat in another class.