PDA

View Full Version : These two strips will be the reason I will buy War and XPs

AngryRussian16
2008-07-20, 01:46 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0518.html

I really just want to see how they are going to do this in print. The second one has a move obvious solution than the other one, seeing as they could just keep the adjacent page blank. The first one is more of a problem. Are they just going to have a massive fold out?

Id rather they didn't, but I cant see it working any other way.

What about you?

Dalenthas
2008-07-20, 01:51 PM
Comic #518 won't be in War and XPs.

"War and XPs is a mammoth 288-page comic book that weighs in at over 2 pounds of comedy and covers all of the OOTS comics between #302 and #484..."

Lira
2008-07-20, 01:59 PM
You're seriously only buying it because of that? Not because of the bonus strips, the author commentary, the chance to complete your collection... but for something you can find out very easily by asking someone on the forum when they receive it? :smallconfused:

NerfTW
2008-07-20, 02:48 PM
Most likely strip #443 will just be edited into multiple panels running side by side, possibly with the final few on a seperate page to preserve the impact of the impact, so to speak.

Remember that the strips aren't hand drawn, they can be edited and altered quite easily. (Relatively speaking. I wouldn't call the changing Roy's skin color in every comic "easy")

skywalker
2008-07-20, 02:58 PM
Remember that the strips aren't hand drawn, they can be edited and altered quite easily. (Relatively speaking. I wouldn't call the changing Roy's skin color in every comic "easy")
Wait, Roy's skin color changed?

SteveMB
2008-07-20, 03:11 PM
Wait, Roy's skin color changed?

IIRC, there was something in the author comments of the first book about tweaking Roy's skin color because the color values that worked on a monitor screen were too dark in print (his eyes and mouth didn't show up very well against the dark brown that came out in print).

Porthos
2008-07-20, 03:20 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0518.html

I really just want to see how they are going to do this in print. The second one has a move obvious solution than the other one, seeing as they could just keep the adjacent page blank. The first one is more of a problem. Are they just going to have a massive fold out?

Id rather they didn't, but I cant see it working any other way.

What about you?

#518 (which will be in the book after War and XPs) is pretty darn easy. As you say, you have a two page spread that opens up and have Haley get blasted into the blank page.

Easy peasy. :smallsmile:

#443 is slightly harder, but I think I know how it's going to be done. If you take all of the panels and lay them in a "traditional" format, it comes out at right around 2 pages (I think). So the layout could look something like this (the Eye follows the action Up to Down and then Left To Right... that's what the arrows signify - an old trick done by many a comic book):

Page One:
Roy Falls.................|->Roy Realizes What's Going on ....|-> Roy Throws stuff out of bag
|............................| ..................| ...........................| ...........|
|............................| ..................| ...........................| ...........|
\/...........................| .................\/ ..........................| ...........\/
Roy Continues to Fall.| Roy Assess the situation .............| Doesn't Work
|............................| ..................| ..........................| ............|
|............................| ..................| ..........................| ............|
\/...........................| .................\/ ..........................| ...........\/
Blank Space for fall.--/... Roy continues to talk--------------/ ....... Roy Complains (ARROW ACROSS PAGE TO PAGE TWO)

Page Two:
Roy Checks Potions...... |->WAIT!!!.................... |->---Huh... It's not breaking.
|............................... | .....|.......................... |............. |
|............................... | .....|.......................... |............. |
\/.............................. | ....\/.......................... |............ \/
Roy Complains Again.... | Roy Gets Talisman ...... | ...SPLAT!!
|............................... | ....|........................... | ............ |
|............................... | ....|........................... |............. |
|............................... | ....| .......................... |............ \/
\/.............................. | ...\/ .......................... | ...THUNK!
Roy Gets Philosophical--/... Roy Tries to break it---/

I had to put in a "blank" space of falling to make everything line up. But that might not really be necessary as the sections where I decribe the action don't line up precisely anyway. It's more to show a guide of how it could be done.

Heck, Rich might even put in enough "falling sky space" for the splat/thunk to occur on a third page all by its lonesome to provide maximum affect (with possible commentary below it).

Mind you this is just a guess. But it does seem to fit more or less. :smallsmile:

kabbor
2008-07-20, 11:20 PM
I had always though that it would be done on sequence of 6-9 pages, with 2/3-width bonus-material comics beside them. Eugne's commentary on his efforts, for instance, could cause amusement, or more snarkiness from the Oracle, or -- well, you get the idea.

NerfTW
2008-07-21, 07:08 AM
I think 6-9 pages would be extremely wasteful and unecessary. They can be placed side by side easily, covering 2 pages most likely, possibly three.

They can even be reordered to read left to right if necessary.

As for the Roy's skin color comment, that was one of the things mentioned in the first book as a major issue. His skin came out almost black, preventing his facial features from showing. Most likely there were other colors that had similar issues, hence the reason books aren't as simple as sending the strips out to the printer.

kabbor
2008-07-21, 07:36 PM
I think 6-9 pages would be extremely wasteful and unecessary. They can be placed side by side easily, covering 2 pages most likely, possibly three.

They can even be reordered to read left to right if necessary.

As for the Roy's skin color comment, that was one of the things mentioned in the first book as a major issue. His skin came out almost black, preventing his facial features from showing. Most likely there were other colors that had similar issues, hence the reason books aren't as simple as sending the strips out to the printer.

Looking at the strips, it would cover 4 page lengths. 4 pages, with bonus material, sounds just right.

And Roy's skin: He should be using Inkscape, then. It would make such matters a simple search-and-replace over the xml files at worst (sed 's/#70da24/#716472/g' *), a single-line edit in a stylesheet at best!

Siosilvar
2008-07-21, 08:15 PM
I believe Rich is using Inkscape. It's in the FAQ (somewhere around here).

EDIT: No, he's not.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-07-22, 09:28 AM
You can mass replace colors in Illustrator quite easily, too. If you know what you're doing. And Rich knows what he's doing.

Also, since the problem is known, he can actually save time all around by saving a print version at the same time he saves his online version.

Szilard
2008-07-22, 09:40 AM
I belive the Giant uses the new skin color in most of the comics after Dungeon Crawling Fools.

NerfTW
2008-07-22, 01:06 PM
Looking at the strips, it would cover 4 page lengths. 4 pages, with bonus material, sounds just right.

And Roy's skin: He should be using Inkscape, then. It would make such matters a simple search-and-replace over the xml files at worst (sed 's/#70da24/#716472/g' *), a single-line edit in a stylesheet at best!

Yes, because there was no chance that color was ever used anywhere else in the strip, causing even more problems.

Drider
2008-07-22, 05:13 PM
Remember when you were younger, and you would draw a picture, put a piece of paper on top, trace the bottom piece, and make it move a tiny bit? Remember doing that 70 or 80 times and making a flip book? I think that would be a fun way to make the falling scene.

Stormpax
2008-07-24, 02:35 AM
Remember when you were younger, and you would draw a picture, put a piece of paper on top, trace the bottom piece, and make it move a tiny bit? Remember doing that 70 or 80 times and making a flip book? I think that would be a fun way to make the falling scene.

But how would you do the speech?

Laurentio II
2008-07-24, 02:40 AM
Almost out of topic: does any italian reader ever managed to the the books? I don't trust Amazon, and can't find them in my local comics store.

kabbor
2008-07-24, 03:22 AM
Yes, because there was no chance that color was ever used anywhere else in the strip, causing even more problems.

I thought of that; But if that colour was used elsewhere, it would have the same problem, and you'd want to change it there, as well.

Edit: and I wasn't really being serious.

NerfTW
2008-07-24, 07:58 AM
I thought of that; But if that colour was used elsewhere, it would have the same problem, and you'd want to change it there, as well.

Edit: and I wasn't really being serious.

Not to be obnoxious, but what I meant is that none of the colors show the exact same way, due to the difference in how monitors and ink work. (Additive versus subtractive color) Therefore, you can't just change one color overall, if that color happened to be used near another color that appears similar, causing a whole new washed out effect.

That's what leads to the lovely world of comic books with a bright green Superman.

Lissou
2008-07-28, 10:34 AM
I was just thinking of another way to do it for Roy's falling... Not sure if it's any good, really, but...
Do you think it would fit on a double page? I mean, if you turn the book sideways, and use the double-page as one single bigger page?

Not sure how practical it would be, but that's an option, right?

Gundato
2008-07-28, 12:26 PM
Considering that the first book had so many problems (again, the aforementioned colouring issues), it is quite likely that Burlew has already prepared for this. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being linked to one of the bonus comics somehow.

Cizak
2008-08-04, 12:35 PM
I was just thinking of another way to do it for Roy's falling... Not sure if it's any good, really, but...
Do you think it would fit on a double page? I mean, if you turn the book sideways, and use the double-page as one single bigger page?

Not sure how practical it would be, but that's an option, right?

That might work pretty good.

Cizak
2008-08-04, 12:38 PM
Oh and by the way, comic number 518 won't be in War and XPs.