PDA

View Full Version : A pair of quick questions in 3.5

Ping_T._Squirrel
2008-07-20, 06:35 PM
It's a quick one, but I need the answers:

1) What would a blade barrier placed before a moving ship do to the ship and crew?

2) Are there any rules on how much weight and how far a character can throw?

KillianHawkeye
2008-07-20, 06:56 PM
1) According to a strict reading of the spell description, Blade Barrier only does damage to "creatures passing through the wall", so the boat itself would be fine.

You (or your DM) may choose to take a more common sense approach and say that the boat (since it is also passing through the wall) should take the damage as well. You'd need to apply the damage to each 10-ft. cubic segment of the ship (at least, that's how I usually see vehicle HPs divided up) that passes through the barrier. Don't forget to apply the ship's Hardness. If the damage roll is high, the boat will probably take significant damage. If the Blade Barrier is low on the water, the boat is at risk of taking on water and sinking. If it is cast higher, the sails will be completely shredded.

2) I believe the range increment for an improvised thrown object is 10 ft., for an overall maximum range of 50 ft. (5 increments). I don't think there's a specific ruling about the weight, but I'd allow you to throw anything that's less than your light load. You might try asking this one in the Simple Q&A by RAW (3.5 & Other Games) thread for a more expert opinion.

Mad Wizard
2008-07-21, 01:00 PM
I seem to remember the information for thrown improvised weapons being in the Complete Warrior, but I don't have it on hand, so I can't be sure.