PDA

View Full Version : Rules questions [4th dungeons and dragons]

the quinn
2008-07-21, 12:54 AM
Hello Giant in the playground community
I have a question to ask.
Can a fighter make a basic attack on a marked creature that is attacking through an opportunity attack?
This is the only question I can answer my self, I can help with others

Rockphed
2008-07-21, 02:07 AM
Although I can't answer your question, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83321) thread is already in place to answer such questions.

Charity
2008-07-21, 02:11 AM
Hello Giant in the playground community
I have a question to ask.
Can a fighter make a basic attack on a marked creature that is attacking through an opportunity attack?
This is the only question I can answer my self, I can help with others

Yes, as long as you are talking about a creature that he marked and threatens making an attack that does not include him.
Also please use the simple Q&A thread that is stickied at the top for these sorts of Q's in future or else it will be sad.

ghost_warlock
2008-07-21, 02:36 AM
Note that the fighter can NOT make an opportunity attack on his own turn, however. An opportunity attack is an opportunity action and you can't take opportunity actions on your own turn (PHB page 268, first shaded box).

I'm not sure what conditions would have to take place for an opponent to provoke an opportunity on a player's turn, but I'm sure there's a few ways.

The New Bruceski
2008-07-21, 02:43 AM
^^^ besides, it's triggered by attacking someone other than himself, and who would that be on his turn?

This adds an interesting dynamic to Shield Push/Specialization, as it gives you a way to take advantage of the mark, rather than just cut down on their choices in their turn. I've avoided those feats due to how little my combat challenge comes up (the foe chooses to obey it). Opportunity attacks triggering it means I can coordinate with allies to either bait the foe into triggering it, or granding them free mobility. With a shield push I could give them free access where they need to go, too.

EDIT: also, to be precise to the poster above, the combat challenge in question is an immediate interrupt off of an opportunity attack, not an opportunity attack itself. The difference is the number of times it can be used in a round, and we don't get to add wisdom modifier or anything like that to a Combat Challenge attack.