PDA

View Full Version : D&D 4E: Wizard Spells... Components?

Nocturne
2008-07-21, 06:28 AM
Hi, All

I'm just reading through the new 4th edition Player's Handbook, and am on the Wizard's class description. Although this concern could be an issue with the Warlock and Cleric powers, too...

What happened to V, S, M? How are we supposed to know whether you can use the power when you're tied up? gagged? And are material components really gone, now?

Sure, you can take your cue from the flavour text for some of the spells, but that's all it really is: flavour, and the player can modify it as he sees fit.

Cheers
Nocturne

Dhavaer
2008-07-21, 06:35 AM
All components are gone, yes. A blindfold should block the majority of spells, though, because targeting requires line of sight.

Nocturne
2008-07-21, 07:13 AM
All components are gone, yes. A blindfold should block the majority of spells, though, because targeting requires line of sight.

Good point on the "line of sight" argument, although I can see a few die-hards trying to shoot holes in it as well (Can you play a blind wizard? Does thi mean you can't ever overcome concealment? etc).

For me, the movement aspect is actually more important, though. Surely, there are quite a few powers which, by their flavour and effects, pretty obviously require the caster to move some part of their body (Even if just their hands, stomping their feet, etc) to use. But there's nothing in the rules to back that up?

Cheers
Graham

Dhavaer
2008-07-21, 07:19 AM
Well, if a power has the 'weapon' descriptor, then they definately have to move the weapon in some way. :smallwink:

Apart of WotST though, spells don't normally have that descriptor. The best that can be done is to take away their implements.

Corrin
2008-07-21, 09:21 AM
Yeah, the whole "grapple the caster so he can't cast" thing is pretty much gone. It's more "grapple the caster so that he can't get away and we can eat his juicy flesh" now.

The only things that prevent characters (all characters, no specific exceptions for casters) from attacking are:

1) Not being able to reach/target the enemy (blindfold may come into play here re: being able to target)
2) Unconscious/Helpless/Dying - usually all 3 together. :)
3) Stunned/Petrified - pretty much the same thing, just with different durations and side-effects.

Being Restrained (aka tied up) gives you a -2 on your attacks.

EDIT: If you're looking for a way to neutralize a caster in 4e in combat, I'd say just put that caster on the ground - knock them into negative hp with a non-lethal blow. If you're looking for a way to successfully imprison a caster, I imagine that a captive wizard would wake up blindfolded and tied up - after that the DM needs to insert a little flavor, but I would let wizard try and unleash fire in the direction of the voices, who would then knock him out repeatedly and refuse to feed him until he started being a "nice" prisoner. :)

JMobius
2008-07-21, 09:39 AM
Not yet played 4E, so forgive the ignorance, but I'd have to say eliminating components is probably a good thing given other changes to the system.

If all classes are theoretically supposed to be more or less on par, combat power wise, then giving casters the additional weakness of being able to have their casting powers reduced or neutralized would probably throw that balance off slightly.

Joran
2008-07-21, 09:44 AM
Apart of WotST though, spells don't normally have that descriptor. The best that can be done is to take away their implements.

All casters don't even need to use their implements. For instance, Clerics and Paladins don't need their holy symbols to use their powers; thus mechanically, a non-magical holy symbol is useless.

Corrin
2008-07-21, 09:49 AM
All casters don't even need to use their implements. For instance, Clerics and Paladins don't need their holy symbols to use their powers; thus mechanically, a non-magical holy symbol is useless.

Correct - no class needs an implement to use their powers. A wizard can still get some benefit from a non-magical implement from their Implement Mastery class feature, but they can cast their spells just fine without the implements.