PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Balance Question

dbmeboy
2008-07-21, 12:56 PM
I'm hoping I can get some other DM's advice on this one. I have a player who wants to use the stuff from the Dragon magazine to make a human artificer/illusionist (specifically, a artificer, using his bonus feat as a human to take the wizard multiclass feat). Here's the question: being human he gets an extra at-will power. However, the artificer playtest template only has 2 at-will powers listed. My solution was to allow him to use the wizard at-will picked up from the multiclass feat as an at-will (instead of encounter) power. That sounds like it should be balanced to me, though it leaves him one power short of where he should be (he doesn't have the extra at-will used as encounter power that he should have). What do you guys think? Is it a good solution? I don't want to tell him that he can't play it just because.

RTGoodman
2008-07-21, 01:15 PM
I didn't see it mentioned in the article on the Artificer, but I don't think it'd be too unbalanced to just give him another at-will from another class and then let the Wizard multiclass feat work as normal. Just let him pick from the Wizard list or maybe even the Cleric list (but with the power reflavored and maybe some keywords changed). He IS an Arcane Leader, after all. I guess you might allow a Warlock power, too, but I don't know if they'd fit well with the character.

HardboiledJJ
2008-07-21, 01:17 PM
I think that sounds like a reasonable solution. He loses a small amount of versatility by not having the fourth ability. However, using the at-will of the other class as an actual at-will more than makes up for it. My philosophy is to just keep a "good faith policy"-if something falls in a grey area, I'll usually allow it if the player is going to have fun and not abuse it.

JaxGaret
2008-07-22, 03:46 AM
What Hardboiled said.

You should be fine, that sounds like a great compromise. If it ends up being a problem, you can always talk to the player, but I see no reason for your idea not to work.

Good DMing! :smallsmile: