PDA

View Full Version : Abilities of a Creature from the 11th Dimension?

Leliel
2008-07-21, 01:49 PM
Basically, an idea of mine is that one of my BBEGs rips a hole in the fabric of the brane (as per M-Theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mtheory)) that contains the 4E universe, making a portal to the 10th dimensions-the one of other universes, basically (don't ask how I got to that point, I don't understand it myself..). Although the portal stabilizes quickly, for a second, it exists within the 11th dimension as well-the one of gravity. Naturally, it lets in a graviton-based life-form by the name of Ezdun (close approximation of his name) from there as well, and naturally, he isn't too pleased with being randomly taken out of his home and deposited in a measly 4-d P-brane. And here's the kicker-since he's composed of gravitons, he exists in a universe that can support his life as well, so while he's capable of wreaking eldritch havoc on the world, he's not going to die of his on violition.

So, besides the obivious gravity-and-tentacle based ones-can't have a cosmic horror without tentacles-what abilities should you suggest for this guy to fit his higher-dimensional nature?

EDIT: Beacuse it needs to be said, Ezdun's abilities are ridiculous. They aren't even funny.

Telonius
2008-07-21, 01:57 PM
All the way up to eleven? Can't help you there. If you'd stopped at five, I'd have you covered (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Mxyzptlk).

seedjar
2008-07-21, 05:40 PM
Gravity is not a dimension. What you're describing doesn't really follow with M-theory, except for the vocabulary you're using; all physical locations exist in 11 dimensions under M-theory. Saying that an object has moved from the 11th dimension to the 4th is like saying you can draw a three-sided square - it doesn't fit the definitions. What you want are space projections - taking n-dimensional figures and representing them as m-dimensional figures, where n >= m. Try MathWorld.
~Joe

Chronicled
2008-07-21, 05:47 PM
I'd suggest looking at what the CharOp boards like to give Pun-Pun, and pick what seems fun.

Also, swift-action Mindrape as an at-will ability. :smalltongue:

Jayngfet
2008-07-21, 05:53 PM
Can he fully percieve all lower dimensions, I think the fourth works with time, so stopping, reversing, and seeing through time seems appropriate.

GrassyGnoll
2008-07-21, 05:58 PM
He should be able to inhabit the body of John Lithgow.

Serious abilities, time should not flow consistently for it. When a character deals damage to it roll a d6 to determine what round from now the thing actually takes it

Always blinking, all the time

Ghost walk ninja ability on a 3 round cooldown

Sound moves faster than light in some cases

Prometheus
2008-07-21, 07:12 PM
Take it from a physicist, M-theory does imply there could be an 11th dimension which gravity diffuses into. For the record, I fail to see the point in justified extraplanar invasion into a medieval setting using modern science (fiction). In any event, here's some thoughts on abilities.
Slicing: In one of the Cube movies, there is an extradimensional object which is razor-sharp to the touch. The reason being that something is constantly moving through out dimensions by passage of another (even if it doesn't look like it!) and by that dimension, these objects are incredibly thin. As a bonus, the object ejected into the other dimensions are almost completely irrecoverable.
Warping: From another perspective, we could be on a manifold and not even know this. An extradimensional creature might be able to take advantage of this. He might teleport, by stepping in and out. He might rearrange the positions of objects and people on the field, but inverting something or moving space time. He might be able to create turbulence which severely disorients people (they attempt to go left and go right) or mauls them (their intestines suddenly connect their ankle, wrapping around their lungs, to their heart). Nausea at the very least.
Time: There are a slew of magic-time abilities already cut out.
Gravity: Attract things to you, repel them, attract two other objects. Make your attacks suddenly hit with more momentum, and do the same for the others.
Calling: What extraplanar creature worth his salt doesn't have the ability to summon minions or call for backup?
Tentacles? I dunno. I could just as easily imagine a heavy rock type monster who weathers the harshest of environments or a feathery light-weight who keeps their distance with magic. If you do go with tentacles, don't make them obey the rules. Freedom of Movement shouldn't apply, or at the very least, should only help some. They should receive a grapple bonus for (coming from a direction that one can't possibly overcome). They can split and slide past each other in unforseen ways that make them difficult to attack and avoid alike. Maybe they aren't a tentacle in every dimension, other dimensions they are more like a wall or a blade, and therefore the creature can switch between the two at ease. Of course anything grappled might break free in a different dimension.
Vulnerability: Just like they players aren't prepared for this guys tricks, so he should have a vulnerability to something native. My suggestion is Electricity (as electromagnetism is another fundamental force) which would permeate his entire multidimensional body.

Randel
2008-07-21, 07:37 PM
A few crazy ideas.

----

The creature exists inside-out. What the players see is a weird sort of portal with tentacles and sensory organs poking out of it. Anything that travels into the portal finds itself in a sort of stomach with tentacles and such poking in from the walls and the other side of the portal in the center.

If the players just attack the tentacles coming out of the portal then they deal only minor damage to it and can't bring it below bloodied. If they fire ranged attacks into the portal then it deals less damage due to the trip. But if they jump into the portal and attack it directly then they can kill it.

When slain, it collapses outward and its corpse and anything in its 'stomach' arrive on the normal plane.

The creature can move around by bending gravity around its outer portal, only levitating about 20 feet above the ground at most and it can touch the ground at lowest.

-------

other idea

It exists backwards in time. When it first shows up it only has 1 hp and is badly mangled and burned. It attacks the party and if they attack back they find that their attacks cause its cuts and bruises to 'heal' (since their attacks are what caused it to be so injured when it arrived). If they 'heal' it back to above bloodied it becomes less agressive and once they heal it completley it shimmers and returns back to its home dimension through the portal the bad guy created.

From its point of view, it fell through a hole in the universe, got beat up by a bunch of adventurers for no reason and then was sent back to its home plane by the bad guy. If its plotting revenge then it does so in the Heros past (and therefore hasn't gotten revenge on them). They might run into it later and it wouldn't remember anything about their last encounter.

------

It body has two or more segments that are connected through the 4th dimension. Essentially looking like it can change back and forth between different bodies. One round it looks squat and muscular, the next round it changes to thin and agile. Each 'segment' has its own HP and must be defeated seperatly.

Basically, make two monsters who can spend an action to switch places. Once one is defeated then the other has to take its place until its defeated. It should also be able to heal its injured segment when its not on this plane of existence. So it can switch out one segment, have that segment rest up and then switch it back to fight again.

-----

It makes choices by probing the future with quantum duplicates and then 'selecting' the duplicate that makes the best choice.

Effectively, it has minions who have similar but much weaker versions of all its powers. Each round it creates several of them to attack the party. If the party kills all of them in that round then the monster gets confused and strikes wildly at the nearest PC. Otherwise, it replaces one of the surviving minions and makes the same attack that minion did but with its own more powerful version. It then erases the other minions and sends out some more to 'decide' its next move.

Patashu
2008-07-21, 09:09 PM
A higher dimensional creature existing in three dimensional space would be percieved to us as 'bubbles' of flesh growing and vanishing again. Imagine it like percieving a 2D slice of space as a human or dog moves through.

Just as we can see past the boundaries of a 2D figure, a 4+D creature would be able to see and reach within 3D creature's bodies. Armour would not help in the slightest.

Ulzgoroth
2008-07-21, 09:41 PM
WRT that last, remember that you're seeing that slice of space in the lower dimensional frame. A higher-dimensional enemy could reach inside you, you can't reach inside it.

Toric
2008-07-22, 08:08 AM
Perhaps the PC's could find him having fun with gravity-altering abilities by creating and transporting an object that has a very strong gravitational field with very, very limited range. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katamari_damacy)

Mad Wizard
2008-07-22, 08:46 AM
Maybe it should have true sight, since it can observe things in higher dimensions.

Jayabalard
2008-07-22, 09:21 AM
He should be able to inhabit the body of John Lithgow.That would be a creature from the 8th dimension iirc.

mabriss lethe
2008-07-22, 11:34 PM
4e you say? can't be of too much help. if it were 3.5 I'd say give it a slew of psionic related fun. 'course you could always adapt some ideas from 3.5 psionics to 4e.

Patashu
2008-07-23, 12:40 AM
Maybe it should have true sight, since it can observe things in higher dimensions.

So invisible things are visible if you look at them from a higher dimension?

Kristoss
2008-07-23, 03:49 AM
You could place the creature in a different point of 3d space according to where the observer is positioned.
For each character the monster is in a different place and as they move it appears to be moving as well.

Collin152
2008-07-23, 08:04 PM
So invisible things are visible if you look at them from a higher dimension?

Can you prove otherwise?

brant167
2008-07-23, 08:38 PM
An 11 dimension creature would be the on the same power level as God. It would be omnipotent because it would exist everywhere, at every time, at every possibility. So just by looking at a pc it would at will be able to see the entire life of the pc from cradle to grave to rez to grave again, would be able to see every possible outcome of every choice the pc would make and how those outcomes would effect the world around the pc.
So if said pc wanted to attack the creature it would be able to simply alter reality around it to be in a reality where everything is the exact same except that pc does not nor has ever existed.
On top of that it could exist in more then one place at once...with the foreknowledge and the ability the foresee or stop any paradox that action would create. In fact inherently has infinite persons acting as one being.
However from the PC's perspective they would only be able to see a 3rd dimensional creature because they are unable to comprehend what a 4th much less 11th dimensional creature would look like.

Collin152
2008-07-23, 08:40 PM
Nonsense. We're 4 dimensional.
We move through time, don't we?

Vexxation
2008-07-23, 08:50 PM
Nonsense. We're 4 dimensional.
We move through time, don't we?

But we cannot see both ends of time, whereas given enough clearance (*coughSPACEcough*) we can see infinitely to either end of length, width, and height.

Last I knew I was unable to view the beginning and end of time. We may move through time, but really, time isn't a dimension we can grasp like the three we exist in.

Though I find it interesting that while we can perceive time, we cannot see it. It makes me wonder if the other dimensions will someday be perceptible by human senses.

brant167
2008-07-23, 08:51 PM
No we don't move through time. Time does not exist in our reality. It is not stationary or universal. All we do is move through a chain of events. The 4th dimension would essentially be like going to a movie theater with infinite numbers of movies and on have every event that happened in our universe playing at the same time playing on various screens.