PDA

View Full Version : GURPS Starwars

Wraithy
2008-07-21, 02:10 PM
My group was getting a little tired of DnD recently, so we decided to start a Starwars GURPS campaign. I'm still unfamiliar with GURPS as a whole, as is the rest of my group.
Does anyone else have experience with Dark Lord Azagthoth's edition of GURPS Starwars? (I think I remember reading on another forum that you can't link it or something, but its really easy to google)
Also I'm not sure if I even have all the right books to play it, so far all I have is the GURPS basic set and the pdf's from Azagthoth's website.
Any help would be great.

Jayabalard
2008-07-21, 02:57 PM
I'm not particularly familiar with his Star wars stuff; you're probably fin starting off with jsut the basic book and that one, but you're likely to find that you want some more specific information about something so you might wind up picking up another book or two. He has a pretty thorough reference list of books on page 6 for things that he directly references:

GURPS 4th Edition Basic Set (BS)
GURPS 4th Edition Fantasy (FA)
GURPS 4th Edition Magic (MA)
GURPS 4th Edition Powers (PO)
GURPS 4th Edition Space (SP)
GURPS 4th Edition Bio-Tech (BT)
GURPS 4th Edition High-Tech (HT)
GURPS 4th Edition Ultra-Tech (UT)
GURPS 4th Edition Vehicles (VE)
GURPS 4th Edition Traveler Interstellar Wars (IW)
GURPS 4th Edition Martial Arts (MA)
GURPS 4th Edition Spaceships (SS)

At a guess, if you're going to have jedi then you'll probably want powers, martial arts, and if you want to do non-jedi then you probably want to pick up a couple of the tech related books.

It's fan made material and clearly labeled as such, so it seems odd if you really can't link to it.

warmachine
2008-07-21, 03:48 PM
GURPS gravitates towards realism and roleplaying and realism is the last thing you want in Star Wars. Having said that, GURPS encourages you to think about style and genre conventions and offers some optional rules for cinematic play. In particular:-

B417 (Basic Set p417)
Cannon Fodder - NPCs automatically fail all defence rolls yet never All Out Attack. Any damage that penetrates DR knocks them out or kills them. Don't bother keeping track of HP. The text gives no hints whether to choose their unconsciousness or death but in Star Wars, who cares?

Flesh Wounds - Players may spend a character point to immediately negate all but 1 HP (or FP) damage of a wound.

TV Action Violence - Players can turn a failed defense against a lethal attack to a success by spending 1 FP and losing his next turn. He is ducking for cover or on the defensive.

MA132 (Martial Arts p132)
Gun Control Law - If the players don't have firearms, thugs only use theirs to threaten but use bare hands or melee weapons to attack.

Lastly...

Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy - If Gun Control Law is broken, the bad guys always miss with their first volley but close enough that the players know they're under fire. The GM may extend this if the PCs are using Acrobatic Movement to get away instead of fighting.

Well, there you have it. GURPS even has rules for throwing rules out the window!

Rachel Lorelei
2008-07-21, 03:52 PM
I can't imagine running Star Wars with GURPS being any good, at least not compared to using SW Saga Edition, or, better yet, adapting the Spirit of the Century (http://zork.net/~nick/loyhargil/fate3/fate3.html) rules (which should be easy).

ShaneLeahy
2008-07-22, 06:50 AM
Sorry, but if you are going to play Star Wars, there is only one system to even consider, West End Games d6 version. Though I am not sure how easy it is to find the books anymore. Best Space Opera rules out there.

Baxbart
2008-07-22, 07:01 AM
I have tried GURPS and Star Wars before. It doesn't work, really. Everything in GURPS combat is horribly deadly, not least blasters. Don't even start with me on lightsabers - you hit anything and they are dead, and that doesn't make for a fun fight.

mcv
2008-07-27, 11:01 AM
I can't imagine running Star Wars with GURPS being any good,
I can. GURPS can do most settings reasonably well, but you do need to remember to use the cinematic rules that Warmachine described. And possibly tone down weapon damage a bit.

But if you want to do Star Wars properly, there's simply no substitute for the original WEG version.