PDA

View Full Version : I Just Like Reptilians

Athaniar
2008-07-21, 02:55 PM
I don't know why, I'm just fascinated by reptilians, snakes, lizards, crocodiles, dinosaurs, dragons, even reptilian humanoids in fiction. Anyone else share my fascination? Don't get me wrong, I like all animals (especially cats), but reptiles just... fascinate me somehow.

Some cool reptilian humanoids in fiction:
D&D: Kobolds, Lizardmen, Dragonborn, many others.
Star Wars: Trandoshans
Star Trek: Cardassians
Stargate: Unas
Doctor Who: Ice Warriors, Draconians

Among others, of course. Feel free to make your own lists.

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-21, 03:18 PM
There was a reptilian humanoid conspiracy theory featured in season 7 of CSI (the Vegas one). That episode was awesome, and reptiles in general are also awesome. Especially snakes. And Dragons.

Chunklets
2008-07-21, 03:24 PM
Some cool reptilian humanoids in fiction:
D&D: Kobolds, Lizardmen, Dragonborn, many others.

You, Sir, are a man of good taste and discernment! :smalltongue:

Seriously, I like reptiles as well. I remember reading, a few years ago, a superb book on snake featuring stunning photographs by Mark Kostich (I think - funny that I can remember the name of the photographer but not the title of the book...). I'll see if I can dig up the title for you; I'd highly recommend it!

Theodoric
2008-07-21, 03:24 PM
Dragons are cool, ofcourse, but in the end I prefer Dromaeosauridae, because I also like brids, and Dromaeosaurids are the best of both worlds in that regard.

SuperMuldoon
2008-07-21, 03:26 PM
I think we are of like mind Xavius, in every game or other work of fiction I gravitate toward the scaly ones. Probably stems from my love of Dinosaurs. I played a Lizardfolk or a Kobold in countless D&D campaigns, and currently have a Dragonborn character in 4e. I also collect Lizardmen in Warhammer (which is like double bonus because they are lizard people who ride on dinosaurs!).

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-21, 03:29 PM
Snakes and Dragons are just teh awesome.
Dragon born and kobolds come just below that.

Athaniar
2008-07-21, 03:45 PM
I also collect Lizardmen in Warhammer (which is like double bonus because they are lizard people who ride on dinosaurs!).

Oh, how could I forget those guys? They're all blue, and aztec. That's cool. And speaking of lizardmen, let's not forget the ones from Age of Wonders. The draconians were cool, yeah, but they really should have included the lizards in the sequel. Maybe in the third installment?

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-21, 03:49 PM
Aztects are cool.

And Lizardmen in Age Of Wonders were simply one of the best races. Especially with their ability to walk over water.

Phase
2008-07-21, 04:30 PM
I would like to start a petition to remove the great Dinosaurs from that list of reptiles. Thanks to some reforms in taxanomic filing, we can no longer call dinosaurs reptiles (feasibly) without calling ourselves reptiles as well.

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-21, 04:41 PM
Dinosaurs are more like reptilian birds, really. Especially raptors. Even if they were so much cooler without feathers. DAMN YOU, SCIENTIFIC PROGRESS!

Trog
2008-07-21, 04:51 PM
*cough cough*

Oh. Trog's sorry. Didn't mean to... er... interrupt the thread. Please continue. Just be on Trog's way out the door here.

*walks off*

*suddenly leans head back in*

What was that? Huh? Hmm? Any more discussion yet?

No? Oh.

Sorry. Won't happen again. Pay no attention to Trog.

Carry on*

*walks off again*

Agamid
2008-07-21, 11:14 PM
I love reptiles.. they're so nice. I don't understand people who don't like them because there's nothing not to like about them.

I currently have 2 Eastern Bearded Dragons, 5 Central Bearded Dragons, 2 Frill-neck Dragons and 1 Carpet Python. Hopefully they will breed in Spring.
I really want to get some geckos, and a Lace Monitor... and a Black-headed Python... and a Green Tree Python, and a Nullarbor Bearded Dragon... and a green tree frog... and a whole lot of other cold blooded animals.

I currently have two reptile tattoos, but given time and money i'll have 5 more (at least, those are the one's i've planned so far).

Collin152
2008-07-21, 11:18 PM
I'm fond of snakes.
The others? not so much. I think its the legs. They unnerve me.

Serpentine
2008-07-21, 11:39 PM
>wanders through<
>nonchalantly sets out entire collection of dragon figurines, books, cuddly toys and other paraphanalia including a homemade clay statuette<
>flicks through serpentine - and Serpentine - home-made avatars<
>watches Anaconda and Anacondas<
>switches awesome dragon lamp on and off<
>sweeps some dust off own tail<
>packs everything away<
>misses bearded dragon that lived at grandparents' house<
>is annoyed at lack of seeing any wild snakes<
>gazes whistfully at people who own terrariums<
>slithers off<

RTGoodman
2008-07-22, 12:40 AM
Dragons are cool, ofcourse, but in the end I prefer Dromaeosauridae, because I also like brids, and Dromaeosaurids are the best of both worlds in that regard.

Are you crazy? Dromaeosaurids are godless (http://www.xkcd.com/87/) killing (http://xkcd.com/135/) machines (http://xkcd.com/155/)! :smalltongue:

I'm a fan of snakes, iguanas, and other sorts of reptiles and even amphibians, but I've had nightmares about velociraptors since I was about 8 years old. :smallredface:

nonamearisto
2008-07-22, 12:47 AM
Well... if you like them so much, you will probably appreciate this:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Paludia_%28DnD_Campaign_Setting%29

My five-star Campaign Setting on D&D wiki; it centers around lizardfolk. I made it because that race is far, far less stereotypical to use in a fantasy setting than elves or dwarves. I keep it very morally strict, so don't expect to find anything uncouth; I know that human-animal hybrid creatures are easily corrupted on the internet, but this setting has none of that.

Keep in mind that this setting was first made under the 3.5 edition rules, so some things may be a bit old...

Athaniar
2008-07-22, 04:34 AM
I currently have 2 Eastern Bearded Dragons, 5 Central Bearded Dragons, 2 Frill-neck Dragons

You have dragons? Cool!

<Checks Wikipedia>

Oh, lizards... Still cool!

Ilena
2008-07-22, 07:59 AM
Personally my thing is horses and horse related things, like centaurs and unicorns, but out of my top 4 favorite creatures, Centaur, Dragon, Horse, Unicorn, i do love Dragons as well :P not saying i dislike reptiles, they dont creep me out but just not my thing :P