PDA

View Full Version : The downtime thingy is going quicker

Jibar
2008-07-22, 03:30 AM
Ya know, that... downtime thingy. Happens around midnight for you yanks I think. I don't know. Takes place around 9:05 for me.
I mention it because usually it takes around 20 minutes, for after the server move it's only about 5.
Intended to happen, or just a nice side effect?

Emperor Tippy
2008-07-22, 03:38 AM
It happens at 4 AM EST (GMT -5), 3 AM CST

Rawhide
2008-07-22, 03:41 AM
3am CDT currently. And yes, it is quicker due to the server switch, an optimisation of the database and optimisations I made to the backup script.

Zeb The Troll
2008-07-22, 03:43 AM
pssst.

We're at (GMT -4), actually, here in the DC suburbs I'm pretty sure.

But yeah, I noticed it went much more quickly today than usual. I haven't been on at night before now since the board resurrection so I can't say I noticed it being a regular thing. Could be it's got something to do with the database pruning they said they did?

EDIT: Bah! Rawhide the ninja strikes again. :smallcool:

Emperor Tippy
2008-07-22, 03:56 AM
pssst.

We're at (GMT -4), actually, here in the DC suburbs I'm pretty sure.

Incorrect. EST is GMT -5, EDT is GMT -4 because of daylight savings time.

Rawhide
2008-07-22, 03:59 AM
Incorrect. EST is GMT -5, EDT is GMT -4 because of daylight savings time.

Actually, he was correct, as DST is currently in effect.

Zeb The Troll
2008-07-22, 04:05 AM
Incorrect. EST is GMT -5, EDT is GMT -4 because of daylight savings time.Besides, before you edited it, your post said GMT -6. :smalltongue:

Jibar
2008-07-22, 04:08 AM
Anyway... good to know Rawhide. Thanks.
Usually when I'm on in the mornings the downtime has a habit of eating up posts, but now I don't have to worry about sitting with a tab open full of text I can't afford to lose for twenty minutes.

skywalker
2008-07-22, 09:00 PM
EDT is EST with DST in effect. You would think they could've come up with less confusing abbreviations...

MeklorIlavator
2008-07-22, 10:53 PM
Really? I'd think it's simply par for the course.

Zeb The Troll
2008-07-22, 11:58 PM
EDT is EST with DST in effect. You would think they could've come up with less confusing abbreviations...This is getting way off topic, but it's not really all that confusing. Eastern Daylight Time vs Eastern Standard Time. Okay, the "Standard" part is now a bit of a misnomer what with Daylight Saving Time* lasting from March to November now, but the abbreviations make sense in the context of how Daylight time and Standard time are defined.

*Note (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time#Terminology), there is no ending "s" in Daylight Saving Time. It is not Daylight Savings Time.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-23, 03:23 AM
Lets just stick with GMT, ok?

But yes, the downtime is gone quicker. Yay for the new server and Rawhide!