PDA

View Full Version : War and XPs: The Third OOTS Compilation is available for preorder

The Giant
2008-07-22, 07:16 AM
Consider this an announcement for people who never check the News page.

The third color compilation of OOTS comics is now available for preorder, and will be available for physical sale at this year's GenCon. Titled War and XPs, it will feature all of the comics from the New Year's Eve scene through to the end of the battle for Azure City.

You can find more details here: http://www.GiantITP.com/WarAndXPs.html

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/products/OOTS03_4in72dpi_RGB.gif

I'll leave this thread open for comments/questions, too.

Lissou
2008-07-22, 07:38 AM
Pre-ordered.

I don't care about the answer personnally but some people might and I'm curious, though...
Does the fact you're printing on recycled paper change the price?
Also, when did you change your avatar?

The Giant
2008-07-22, 07:51 AM
Does the fact you're printing on recycled paper change the price?

It doesn't add into the retail price for customers, no.

It did cost more on my end to print on recycled paper, but I pretty much ate that increase because it's something that matters to me, personally, and probably doesn't matter to most of my readers. I didn't think it would be fair to fans to raise the price for a feature that many people wouldn't even notice.

This book does have a retail price that's $3 higher than that of Paladin Blues, but is also 44 pages longer. Basic printing costs have also risen quite a bit since 2006, especially in the last few months, before taking the paper stock into account.

Also, when did you change your avatar?

About two minutes ago, when I realized the old one didn't make the move over and I couldn't remember where it was on my computer.

Lissou
2008-07-22, 08:17 AM
As you're answering questions so nicely, I'll forward Fifty-Eyed Fred's question from another thread. Although the question is not specifically about War and XPs, it can still be of interest for some of us to know a printer that's willing to use recycled paper.

I don't know if this has been asked before, but just out of curiosity, who is The Giant's printer for the OOTS books?

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for your answers :)

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-22, 09:10 AM
Some time ago, a fellow OOTS fan of mine(And also a forum member here) made some OOTS dolls. She tried to send them to you. I´m curious, did you receive them, if yes, did you like them?

d'Bwobsling
2008-07-22, 09:13 AM
Just out of curiosity, is the new book named after War and Peace?

Hann
2008-07-22, 09:16 AM
I think so, as it follows the trend of some books being named after literary works. (On the Origin of Species, Heart of Darkness)

Also, I'm looking forward to V recapping the first two books.

The Giant
2008-07-22, 09:20 AM
OK, this is not a general "Ask the Giant" thread. This thread is for discussion of the book itself, not necessarily questions directed at me (and certainly not questions directed at me that are not about the book). Keep this thread on topic, please, and direct any other queries to Private Messages.

RMS Oceanic
2008-07-22, 09:22 AM
Aaaand ordered! £24.32 well spent. Will definitely wait on tenderhooks for this one.

The Giant
2008-07-22, 09:28 AM
Just out of curiosity, is the new book named after War and Peace?

Yes, it is.

Obrysii
2008-07-22, 09:30 AM
I'll buy it just as soon as I can afford the second one.

(College, car insurance, and car repairs suck :( )

Lira
2008-07-22, 05:24 PM
Also, I'm looking forward to V recapping the first two books.Me too!

I'm very excited about this new book. I preordered it a couple days ago. And now for the most difficult part... the waiting.

xyzzy
2008-07-22, 08:05 PM
I think so, as it follows the trend of some books being named after literary works. (On the Origin of Species, Heart of Darkness)

:vaarsuvius:: Yeah, you can pretty much skip all that. I mean, come on, dirt farmers? And haven't we all had enough of Haley's whining emo girl status? I mean, I've dealt with a lot of issues from men and women (they both seem to think I'll know how to help them, don't you know), but nothing as annoying as Haley, Belkar, all of them. At least in this book, some of them begin to be slightly useful, and I'll actually get some good screen time showing off my glorious heroics. So yeah, you can pretty much skip those. Not worth your time.

You know that's how Vaarsuvius feels about this whole adventure :smallsmile:

d'Bwobsling
2008-07-23, 09:09 AM

Not to mention the preface by Elan!

banjo1985
2008-07-23, 09:27 AM
Not to mention the preface by Elan!

This is what I am waiting for...it's about time my hero got a chance to shine! :smallbiggrin:

Pre-ordered from my local gamestore, and quite happy to pay whatever it takes to get it, recycled paper or no. I prefer reading the comic in big book-sized chunks like this.

I'm looking forward very much to the bonus content, it's nice to be going through comics you've already read only to find something new put in there that completely throws you for a loop.

Teatime
2008-07-23, 11:05 AM
I'm mostly excited for the "Things to Come" section of teasers at the end, though it'll be nice to be able to read through a good chunk of the archives again without having to stare at a computer screen.

Lord Herman
2008-07-23, 11:20 AM
Hooray, new book! :smallbiggrin:

Shadic
2008-07-23, 06:20 PM
Of course it gets announced right after I finish my OotS book collection. Bah.

Lupy
2008-07-23, 08:50 PM
I can't wait for the Elan preface, for me those prefaces are the best part of the book, I mean, I like the bonus comics and I devour the commentaries, but I like to try to glean previously unknown insight into chracters from them. The recap by V has me nervous, not about quality, but about legnth. :smalleek: Giving V free reign to describe 9ish months? I'm not going to preorder probably, but you can bet I'll be picking it up when it arrives at my gaming store.

The Doctor
2008-07-24, 01:05 AM
Will War and XPs (a stand or such) be available at Gencon UK (Aug 28)?
I will otherwise pick it up at our gamestore when I get home (they stock all Oots stuff), but if I can pick it up at the Con...

AWM
2008-07-24, 10:11 AM
I think the printing of the new book on recycled paper is a great choice on your behalf Giant, and it tells a lot about you that you ate the extra cost of doing so on your end. Rest assured that there are fans of the book that are as mindful of the environment (or try to be) as you are and greatly appreciate your green contributions and efforts. :smallbiggrin:

Question concerning War and exps, do you have any plans for a local release (and signing?)of the book at a favored game shop or book store. As much as I’m a fan of the ease of ordering the OOTS books online I would love the opportunity to buy one in person from the Giant himself (yourself).

(Proud) Green New Yorker and OOTS fan
-awm

nli10
2008-07-24, 12:23 PM
Yay - new book!

Already have the other 4 (2 imported to UK, 2 from local games shop that stocks them), and will probably wait until the local gets this one in too - that way they will order more and other UKers in the Midlands will be able to get them.

And if you do happen to be in Birmingham and want to just walk into a store and buy any of the OOTS books or the board game then http://www.waylandsforge.co.uk/ here is all the info you need (and they do mail order I think too!). Direct OOTS products link. (http://www.waylandsforge.co.uk/html/catalogue/search.asp?keyword=stick&description=yes&series=yes&manufacturer=yes)

So now if you are in the UK and haven't at least read the prequel books you have no excuses. :smallamused:

The Giant
2008-07-24, 05:09 PM
Will War and XPs (a stand or such) be available at Gencon UK (Aug 28)?

We will not have an official GITP or APE booth at GenCon UK, but Aug. 28th is late enough that it is possible that some regular retailers may have it anyway. It all depends on how long it takes for books ordered from my retail distributors to get overseas, something about which I sadly have no actual data on which to speculate.

Question concerning War and exps, do you have any plans for a local release (and signing?)of the book at a favored game shop or book store.

No, we have no plans for such. Sorry.

Note that I will not be personally in attendance at GenCon Indianapolis, either. We will have a booth manned by APE and GITP staffers, but I will not be there. I am trying to arrange to sign a limited number of books before the convention for the booth to sell, but those plans are not finalized. Basically, we're going to be rushing the first few hundred books off the presses to Indy, and there may not be time to divert them to my home before they get there. So, if you want an autographed copy, the best bet is still GenCon Indy, but it is still no better than a 50-50 chance at this point. Once I know for certain either way, I will likely make an announcement on the News page.

2.5 cats
2008-07-24, 10:00 PM
Pre-ordered 2 copies. (One for me, one for a friend.)

I think using recycled paper is really cool, though to be honest I'd have purchased the books either way. :smallsmile:

Child Conscript
2008-07-24, 11:51 PM
Um is the Pre-Ordering available outside Of the US??

Trazoi
2008-07-25, 12:48 AM
Um is the Pre-Ordering available outside Of the US??
I hope so, as I've already paid for my pre-order :smallbiggrin:

factotum
2008-07-25, 12:59 AM
Same here. You just have to remember to enter something in the "Other State" box if you select a non-US state in the dropdown list.

Hazelnut
2008-07-26, 03:19 PM
I wantss this book! :smallbiggrin:

The announcement took me by surprise, but in a very pleasant way. Certainly after ordering all of the previous books and thoroughly enjoying them, I'll definitely be getting all the rest that get published. I find it's quite a different experience than when reading in bite sized chunks over a long period of time. (being able to read them in bed's a great thing too... :smallyuk:)

They're the only comic books I've ever bought in my entire life (36 years) would you believe.

It doesn't add into the retail price for customers, no.

It did cost more on my end to print on recycled paper, but I pretty much ate that increase because it's something that matters to me, personally, and probably doesn't matter to most of my readers. I didn't think it would be fair to fans to raise the price for a feature that many people wouldn't even notice.

This book does have a retail price that's $3 higher than that of Paladin Blues, but is also 44 pages longer. Basic printing costs have also risen quite a bit since 2006, especially in the last few months, before taking the paper stock into account.

Don't care about the price over much, as long as it's of the same high quality as the last books! It's nice that you are using recycled paper for two reasons. Firstly that it's less environmentally damaging, and secondly that you're selling enough for it to make a difference.

:biggrin:

I hope this book sells very well for you Giant, and I've been loving the recent strips.

Best wishes from the UK, I'm off to play some more Mask of the Betrayer now. (excellent game, best D&D PC game since ToEE & Torment IMHO)

Andy.

Mauve Shirt
2008-07-26, 04:29 PM
WANT!
This book encompasses some of my favorite strips and I will be getting it. :smallbiggrin:

factotum
2008-07-27, 12:58 AM
They're the only comic books I've ever bought in my entire life (36 years) would you believe.

You've never read Watchmen? :smalleek:

Hazelnut
2008-07-27, 06:10 PM

Hey, I didn't say I'd never borrowed... but in fact you're absolutely correct, I have not read Watchmen. I have heard of it though if that makes you feel any better... :smallamused:

malakim2099
2008-07-27, 06:46 PM

Hey, be nice! I haven't read Watchmen until a week ago! The trailer in front of Dark Knight in IMAX inspired me. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and too bad about GenCon, Giant... but I'll be sure to pick up a copy of War and XPs there!

Lumenadducere
2008-07-31, 01:29 PM
Pre-ordered. Definitely looking forward to it!

Gamerlord
2008-07-31, 06:19 PM
I'm going to wait for it to be buyable through amazon.com

aapje
2008-08-01, 07:19 PM
$41 for shipping...

So does anyone knows a place in the Netherlands or at least a bit closer where I could get books?

apegamer
2008-08-02, 08:33 AM
$41 for shipping...

So does anyone knows a place in the Netherlands or at least a bit closer where I could get books?

If you order just 1 or 2 books, it will bump you down to Priority Flat Rate Envelope, from Priority Flat Rate Box, which will save you like $20 in shipping.

The box is a little nicer because it can take a pretty good beating without your product showing damage, though. That said, we get very few complaints from international customers that their envelopes are damaged.

only1doug
2008-08-03, 07:20 AM

I bought my copies of the books from Orcs Nest (http://www.orcsnest.com/shop.htm)in London (England), i'll buy War and XP's from there too, when they get it in.

Here's a link to their oots products (http://www.orcsnest.com/productsbysystem.asp?syst=Order%20of%20the%20Stick )

when i added all 4 books to the cart i got the following
Goods Total:
£55.96
Plus delivery cost below:
U.K. Delivery:
£6.00
Delivery to other European countries: £12.90

I'm not saying they are the best choice for buying from, you may be able to find somewhere cheaper. its just where i bought mine, and it didnt take to much looking to find for you.

Doug

NerfTW
2008-08-03, 01:40 PM
I wish you'd have put on the pre-order page that the payment would be taken out immediently. Usually pre-orders aren't charged until they ship. I wound up having to move some money around to pay my credit card bill. I expected it to be on August's bill.

No biggie, though, but you might want to state that somewhere prominent so people don't get themselves an overdraft charge.

factotum
2008-08-03, 02:16 PM
The pre-orders are run by APE Games, not the Giant--you'd need to tell them about that.

NerfTW
2008-08-03, 02:51 PM
Yes, and they are posting in this thread, which is why I put it here.

apegamer
2008-08-05, 09:04 AM
I wish you'd have put on the pre-order page that the payment would be taken out immediently. Usually pre-orders aren't charged until they ship. I wound up having to move some money around to pay my credit card bill. I expected it to be on August's bill.

No biggie, though, but you might want to state that somewhere prominent so people don't get themselves an overdraft charge.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, your card is charged at the time of placing the order. I just looked on the product page for WAXP and noticed that it does not state this like it does on our duck! duck! GO! preorder page, so I'll have that fixed today.

The main reason for this is that for security reasons we don't store your credit card information.

Thanks for the heads up, and sorry for the inconvenience.

cripple
2008-08-07, 09:11 AM
Note that I will not be personally in attendance at GenCon Indianapolis, either. We will have a booth manned by APE and GITP staffers, but I will not be there. I am trying to arrange to sign a limited number of books before the convention for the booth to sell, but those plans are not finalized. Basically, we're going to be rushing the first few hundred books off the presses to Indy, and there may not be time to divert them to my home before they get there. So, if you want an autographed copy, the best bet is still GenCon Indy, but it is still no better than a 50-50 chance at this point. Once I know for certain either way, I will likely make an announcement on the News page.

I'm not sure this is the best place to put my response, so my apologies if this should have been posted elsewhere.

Rich, sorry to hear you won't be at GenCon Indy. I treasure the individually drawn characters you've done when signing a few of my books in the past. I am sympathetic, though, to what I've seen become not just extremely tiresome, but clearly very painful to you when you've done a lot of signing in the past. If you care to share why you won't be at the show, I'm interested.

Mikey Boy
2008-08-08, 09:05 PM
Oh Lordy. You gave the intro to Elan. At what point did that seem like a good idea?

I kid, I kid... Elan's my favorite character. As long as I don't ever have to actually try to get him to do anything for me. Ever. :smalltongue:

Really looking forward to the new collection. Having ordered the last 4 books directly from you, I'm going to order this one through my FLGS (Gamekeeper in Oxford), since right now they could use the support.

Mike

Zordrath
2008-08-09, 07:59 AM
I'm actually quite curious about the Elan Preface. So far, all the prefaces were given to characters who are either arrogant, cynical or flat-out evil, so I'm looking forward to how Elan's might be, now that mindless Burlew-bashing is ruled out :smalltongue:

The Giant
2008-08-09, 04:19 PM
Just a note:

Those looking to get their copy of War and XPs from either our GenCon booth OR as a pre-order from APE will be getting a free Elan refrigerator magnet, as seen in the most recent News post, courtesy of APE Games.

While supplies last, etc.

Baywolfe
2008-08-09, 04:44 PM
Just a note:

Those looking to get their copy of War and XPs from either our GenCon booth OR as a pre-order from APE will be getting a free Elan refrigerator magnet, as seen in the most recent News post, courtesy of APE Games.

Very generous of you too. Especially for all of us who already pre-ordered.

Lord Herman
2008-08-09, 06:41 PM
Yay, free magnet! Thanks, Giant! :smallbiggrin:

WarriorTribble
2008-08-10, 05:33 PM
Thank you Rich, It feels good to be loved! (I know it could be nothing more than a calculated attempt to boost sales. NOBODY DARE RUIN THE MOMENT! :smallbiggrin:)

theKOT
2008-08-11, 12:50 AM
My pre-order just got that much sweeter. I'm really looking forward to this book, and freebies are always winsome.

Just one question: Is the magnet the same size as the picture you posted? Just curious.

Edna
2008-08-12, 01:05 AM
Just a note:

Yay! That settles it--I'll preorder from APE, instead of supporting my local retailer :smallsmile:

Edna

Zhong
2008-08-12, 02:38 PM
50$ shiping costs... auch.
Can someone upload de imagen of the Belklar magnet please?

SteveMB
2008-08-12, 02:40 PM
50$ shiping costs... auch.
Can someone upload de imagen of the Belklar magnet please?

Go to the News page and scroll back to the 7/30/2006 entry.

Doran
2008-08-15, 01:35 PM
Is there a rough send-off date yet? I preordered from the Uk.
Thanks

Junior
2008-08-17, 05:29 PM
Just checking: if ordering the other books at the same time, will they all be sent in the same package when the new book arrives?

Lissou
2008-08-18, 03:58 AM
Just checking: if ordering the other books at the same time, will they all be sent in the same package when the new book arrives?

I'd say yes. That's what happenned to me with Start of Darkness.

Sylian
2008-08-20, 02:57 PM
So... Anyone know a good store in Europe from which I can buy this compilation? An internet store, of course.

Ancalagon
2008-08-20, 03:14 PM
Just ordering from APE-games works fine. The shipping is some 14$ but if you pay some 42$ or 35$ (from some shop in europe) isn't such a big difference - and since the $ is weak compared to the € the comic-book is pretty cheap already.

NerfTW
2008-08-22, 02:53 PM
Has anyone who ordered from APE (as in not at Gencon) gotten their books in the mail yet? Mine still doesn't have a tracking number listed on thier site.

Lira
2008-08-22, 03:12 PM
Has anyone who ordered from APE (as in not at Gencon) gotten their books in the mail yet? Mine still doesn't have a tracking number listed on thier site.Same here. :(

whitehelm
2008-08-22, 10:59 PM
According to this (http://www.giantitp.com/WarAndXPs.html), they ship in the middle of next week.

Emanick
2008-08-23, 12:29 AM
According to this (http://www.giantitp.com/WarAndXPs.html), they ship in the middle of next week.

Fantastic, I can't wait.
All I have to do now is dodge spoilers for the next, say, two weeks. (If my bad luck at how long packages take to arrive continue, that is. :smallannoyed:)

NerfTW
2008-08-23, 08:39 PM
Fantastic, I can't wait.
All I have to do now is dodge spoilers for the next, say, two weeks. (If my bad luck at how long packages take to arrive continue, that is. :smallannoyed:)

Why would you have to dodge spoilers? It's a compilation. :smallconfused:

Lira
2008-08-23, 08:57 PM
Why would you have to dodge spoilers? It's a compilation. :smallconfused:Author commentary contains some spoilers.

cripple
2008-08-24, 07:45 PM
Why would you have to dodge spoilers? It's a compilation. :smallconfused:

I know of at least one person who doesn't like reading things on the computer and has been (sometimes) patiently waiting for the compilation.

Porthos
2008-08-27, 01:35 PM
Has anyone who ordered from APE (as in not at Gencon) gotten their books in the mail yet? Mine still doesn't have a tracking number listed on thier site.

Got shipping confirmation notice today. :smallsmile:

NerfTW
2008-08-27, 06:27 PM
Got shipping confirmation notice today. :smallsmile:

Yeah, I misread the not about pre-orders on thier site. I thought it meant they were shipping out as many as they could before GenCon, but I guess the whole first shipment went straight to GenCon with Rich.

I can't wait! :smallbiggrin:

Gundato
2008-08-27, 07:44 PM
Hmm. Is there a way to check on the status of my order, or do I just have to wait for an email saying they shipped it?

Lissou
2008-08-28, 05:34 AM
Hmm. Is there a way to check on the status of my order, or do I just have to wait for an email saying they shipped it?

The e-mail I received said they had a computer problem so that some confirmations were not sent properly.
This being said, I don't think you can't track the package without having its number, that they give in the confirmation e-mail.

RMS Oceanic
2008-08-28, 08:12 AM
I queried my order status through e-mail, and they said the pre-orders are shipping out over the next few days, and I'd receive a tracking number in the next few days.

Gundato
2008-08-28, 10:01 AM
Okay, so they do email an actual tracking number. I have my order number, I just can't figure out where to input it for the status of my shipment.

RMS Oceanic
2008-08-28, 10:31 AM
I just put the order number in the E-mail header, and asked about the status. Then they got back to me, saying it would ship in the next few days, and you'd receive a new tracking number then.

APEGames Help
2008-08-28, 02:40 PM
Hi all!

Things here at APE Games are BEYOND busy with pre-orders but I wanted to offer a quick message to help with questions.

First - yes, the books are here! Yes, we are working as quickly as possible to get the books and magnets out to all of you eagerly awaiting your orders.

The email glitch referred to in an earlier post is fixed and if your order has shipped an email has been sent.

Customers will receive an email on the day their order ships. It does have a tracking # or customs #, along with information about how that system works.

As for how to use the number, International order emails did not have the link, but I have fixed that for future orders. If you did not see a tracking link, go to the U.S. Postal Service's web-site:

http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm and enter the customs # we sent you.

US orders will have a link in the email we send that includes your tracking number. Clicking on that link should take you directly to the status. It looks like this:

To check the delivery status of your package at any time please visit:
https://www.endicia.com/Status/?PIC=XXXXXXXXXUS (your # will be where the Xs are)

(PLEASE be aware that due to the quantity of packages mailed out, they might not be scanned until they reach your local US post office or customs if you are an international customer. Therefore it may show that USPS has only been notified, but rest assured all packages are picked up on the date reflected in the email we send you.)

Note that we have disabled our on-site tracking feature due to the labor required to update it with all the orders. The links in your email give you the same information.

As always, if I can offer further assistance, please send me an email at the address below. One question I cannot accurately answer is what day a specific order might ship. I can tell you if it has or has not shipped, but predicting a time frame is not something I am able to do at this point.

Gundato
2008-08-28, 05:54 PM
Fair enough. I just vaguely recall hearing something about APEGames implementing some tracking thing or another around the time Start of Darkness came out. I had ordered it something like a day too early, so for some reason I thought it was site based.

And mine has also been said to be shipped (well, the sticker was printed, that is good enough for me :p).

APEGames Help
2008-08-28, 06:00 PM
We did have a tracking module you could use with your APE Games account, but it took you directly to the same information as the link in the email. Some technology actually makes things more complicated than they need to be, so we no longer use it.

And while I do not know who you are (no orders on record for Gundato) I promise that if the shipment confirmation arrived, it is in a box or envelope on its way to you. :smallsmile:

Porthos
2008-08-29, 02:03 PM
Whoo-Hoo!!!!

Gotta package in the mail today! :smallcool:

*runs off to read OotSy Goodness*

Rumda
2008-08-29, 02:22 PM
lucky you mine still hasn't shipped

Witrana
2008-08-29, 02:30 PM
I have a question.

Will the book only be available through online stores or will it be available in actual, physical ones? And, if yes, in Canada or only in the US?

Sorry if this has been asked.

Porthos
2008-08-29, 02:38 PM
I'm not going to do a running log, but I just had to chime in on the third thing I read (after the back cover and forward).

Rich, how many Pixie Stixs did you slam when writting Elan's Preface? :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

My gawds, that was pure.... Well... Elan-ey.

I'd try to describe it to all of the readers here, but words simply fail.

Massive massive Win, Rich. Pure Unadulterated Win. :smallcool:

NerfTW
2008-08-29, 06:34 PM
I have a question.

Will the book only be available through online stores or will it be available in actual, physical ones? And, if yes, in Canada or only in the US?

Sorry if this has been asked.

Any store should be able to order them wholesale. If you have a gaming store in the area, check there. And any store that carries PVP or Penny Arcade compilations would likely also include this if you tell them about it. (Not anywhere near the same size readership, but still enough for any bookstore with a graphic novel section to stock a few)

Gundato
2008-08-29, 10:19 PM
Aye, I have always ordered them, but I made it a point to tell my local comic book shop about it, and they generally order one or two copies of each volume every time a new one comes out (for people who want to catch up).

Oh, for those wondering, it ships from Texas.

jimbo_the_tubby
2008-08-30, 09:55 PM
I think I deleted the e-mail with my tracking number. Is there anywhere I can go to have it resent?

RMS Oceanic
2008-08-31, 04:28 AM
Probably e-mail APE Games with the order number/Paypal ID, and ask them to re-send.

The Tygre
2008-09-01, 07:00 AM
I've only got a little graduation money left, but I'm willing to piss most of it off on this. It does encompass some of the best OotS strips ever!

Lissou
2008-09-02, 03:53 AM
Just thought I'd say I got mine in the mail today. So it took around a week to arrive, and I'm in Europe. Seems pretty fast (although I'm guessing it depends on lots of things, so don't expect yours to arrive after exactly the same amount of time).
It was in an envelope that was folded, then put in another package with scotch everywhere. I had to debate whether using scissors was too risky or not, and it took me a while to open it. So, yeah, well protected.
It arrived in perfect condition and the magnet it pretty cool, bigger than I expected, too.

Now I have to wait for a day off so I can read it...

Hpe you all get yours soon :)

factotum
2008-09-02, 04:39 AM
Got mine this morning as well, wrapped in no fewer than three envelopes! Couldn't do more than skim through it because I'm at work, but I notice it has a map of the area around Azure City in it...surprised that hasn't brought the "Mapping OotSland" thread back to the top!

Midnight Son
2008-09-02, 04:44 PM
Mine arrived today, as well. Horray for timely deliveries, since I hit the road tomorrow.

Dalenthas
2008-09-03, 12:49 AM
Got mine today, and I have to say... anyone who hasn't ordered it yet, trust me, the bonus material alone is worth it.
In particular, one bonus strip had me laughing so loud for so long people thought there was something wrong with me.
Specifically, 323a.
Plus, I loved V's summation of previous events, and the skimming over of parts that "aren't relevant to this book", which implies anything that is spelled out is relevant....

I've said too much.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-09-03, 05:16 AM
Does anyone know when it'll arrive in the UK? ;__;

Lord Herman
2008-09-03, 07:41 AM
I got my book! And my magnet! Yaaaaaay! :smallbiggrin:

Lissou
2008-09-03, 08:03 AM
Got mine today, and I have to say... anyone who hasn't ordered it yet, trust me, the bonus material alone is worth it.
In particular, one bonus strip had me laughing so loud for so long people thought there was something wrong with me.
Specifically, 323a.
Plus, I loved V's summation of previous events, and the skimming over of parts that "aren't relevant to this book", which implies anything that is spelled out is relevant....

I've said too much.

I agree.
Elan's preface was hillarious, Rich's coments and hinsight are great if you like thinks like that (as I do) and several of the bonus strips were even better than the online ones. And the way it was paged (particularly "Rematch") was great.
You can tell the online strip was made with the book in mind.

I also got to learn something about the CitD, but I won't say more, I don't want to give out spoilers. I'll just say I got one of my biggest oots-related questions answered.

factotum
2008-09-03, 09:10 AM
Does anyone know when it'll arrive in the UK? ;__;

Like I said above, I got mine yesterday...

camelama
2008-09-03, 12:12 PM
Yay! Got mine! And the magnet is so very appropriate ... am suffering a sugar hangover this morning after an ice cream social last night.

Unnnnnnnngh. chocolate syrup overload...... :smallsigh:

APEGames Help
2008-09-03, 01:27 PM
I think I deleted the e-mail with my tracking number. Is there anywhere I can go to have it resent?

Sorry it has taken so long to reply.

Please direct any questions about an order, including tracking # requests, to the email address below.

I can now announce that *drum roll*

the processing of all War and XPs pre-orders through August 27th is complete.

Orders are still coming in, and we are working to fill those as quickly as possible.

ALL orders prior to 8/27 have been sent shipment confirmation emails with their shipment date and a confirmation or customs number. If you have not received this email let me know. (We did have a few returned emails.)

USPS delivery times are 2-3 business days for US orders, and 10 to 14 business days for International orders UNLESS there is a delay due to customs.

I also want to point out as the confirmation email states, status is often only updated on the day of delivery in the US and when customs processes International orders. For more information please see your confirmation email.

Firstborn
2008-09-03, 01:35 PM
Mine arrived today, no problems, just five days after I got the confirmation e-mail. :smallsmile:

I'm in the UK.

Lira
2008-09-03, 06:56 PM
Mine arrived today!! And in very good condition too, no scratches or dents at all. I just finished reading it and I have to say that it's definitely worth every penny and worth the wait (although the anticipation really was killing me!).

Rumda
2008-09-04, 01:31 PM
yep mine arrived today 6 days after the conformation email and it is awesome

JKR
2008-09-05, 08:37 AM
I want to order the new book ASAP, but my budget is too tight this month. :smallfrown:

Darn it, no magnet for me now! Sigh...

But I still want to support the site and buy a copy. After all, as a fellow "online artist" because of the work I do at FredtheMonkey.com I know sales like this are important to be able to pay bills and such. (I really need to get that store up at FtM...)

The waiting it the hardest part.

Sylian
2008-09-05, 10:30 AM
Is there any European site that sells this compilation yet?

factotum
2008-09-06, 01:45 AM

Is there a reason you won't buy it from the US one?

The Giant
2008-09-06, 04:39 AM
There is an update regarding the books on the main News page, just so everyone knows. It's not really "news" to anyone who has been reading this thread, but still.

Warren Dew
2008-09-06, 04:33 PM
I did not preorder and I got mine yesterday. The condition was also a lot better than the last shipment I got from APE. Thanks!

SteveMB
2008-09-06, 05:19 PM
Mine showed up yesterday. :smallsmile:

Castel
2008-09-06, 06:24 PM
Anyone from Vancouver, B.C. knows if the book has showed up in any store in either vancouver or in the surrounding areas?

RMS Oceanic
2008-09-08, 06:46 AM
Mine came!

Wow, I had totally forgotten how breathless Miko's execution of Shojo and her subsequent fall made me feel...

Belkar Rocks
2008-09-08, 12:48 PM
Rich,

Got my order last week, just finished reading it last night. Well, I suppose most of it counts as "re-reading". Anyway, I just finished and enjoyed my extra content.

Also, thanks for the refrigerator magnet. It is very nice and magnetty. It came directly out of the package and straight to its intended target, the fridge, where I will admire and cherish it for years to come.

Thanks!

Blaznak
2008-09-08, 06:46 PM
I received my order today. It was shipped in EXCELLENT condition and so I really have to say "Thank You" to APE for the nice job. I am magnet-less at the moment, but that's ok! I have a shiny new book to read. Thanks!!!

carabaldo
2008-09-09, 09:44 AM
Is there a reason you won't buy it from the US one?

for instance I wouldn't have to pay import taxes if there was an EU seller
:)

only1doug
2008-09-09, 09:51 AM

just checked Orcs nest page (see below) they have it listed now.

I bought my copies of the books from Orcs Nest (http://www.orcsnest.com/shop.htm)in London (England), i'll buy War and XP's from there too, when they get it in.

Here's a link to their oots products (http://www.orcsnest.com/productsbysystem.asp?syst=Order%20of%20the%20Stick )

when i added all 4 books to the cart i got the following
Goods Total:
£55.96
Plus delivery cost below:
U.K. Delivery:
£6.00
Delivery to other European countries: £12.90

I'm not saying they are the best choice for buying from, you may be able to find somewhere cheaper. its just where i bought mine, and it didnt take to much looking to find for you.

Doug

Axl_Rose
2008-09-09, 12:38 PM
but I pretty much ate that increase because it's something that matters to me, personally, and probably doesn't matter to most of my readers.
I don't know if it'll mean much to your or not, but it matters to me :smallsmile:

factotum
2008-09-10, 02:07 AM
for instance I wouldn't have to pay import taxes if there was an EU seller
:)

Maybe, but the EU seller you buy it from would have had to pay import tax, so chances are you'll end up paying about the same... :smallamused:

kabbes
2008-09-10, 02:59 AM
I received mine (in the UK) yesterday. It's fantastic. All hail the Giant for telling a fantastic story in a masterly fashion.

tmacdevitt
2008-09-12, 12:36 PM
Rich,

My 8 year old son really likes OOTS but I only let him read the books. Yesterday I gave him War and XPs to read, and he spent the next three hours reading it.

I had to go run some errands, and when I got home he met me at the door and exclaimed, "Can you beleive what happened? XXX is dead! How is the Order going to get along without XXX??"

It just made me smile so much, he has so much crunchy goodness to look forward to when you publish your next tome.

BTW, He says that War and XPS is now his favorite over Start of Darkness

Tom

Mc. Lovin'
2008-09-12, 01:05 PM
Rich,

My 8 year old son really likes OOTS but I only let him read the books. Yesterday I gave him War and XPs to read, and he spent the next three hours reading it.

I had to go run some errands, and when I got home he met me at the door and exclaimed, "Can you beleive what happened? XXX is dead! How is the Order going to get along without XXX??"

It just made me smile so much, he has so much crunchy goodness to look forward to when you publish your next tome.

BTW, He says that War and XPS is now his favorite over Start of Darkness

Tom

Nice of ya to cencor it, but only one menber of the order's name has 3 letters ...

I loved War and Exps! But I felt really sade for Miko when she had made a meal for three but those other girls blew her off :smallfrown:

Thufir
2008-09-12, 04:51 PM
:elan: So remember, kids: bread crusts are directly responsible for all forms of evil.
Love that preface. Now off the internet and back to reading.

banjo1985
2008-09-13, 09:29 AM
^ Sounds sensible to me. :smalltongue:

Picked up my preorder yesterday, just about to sit down and read it. I'm hoping the bonus strips will be as good as the extras in the last one. :smallbiggrin:

Yehomer
2008-09-13, 10:19 AM
Well, I finished reading it today after my friend gave it to me on thursday for my birthday (since he paid for the shipping, he kept the magnet :( ).
What I liked most was how well the bonus strips were made - in the last two books, some of the bonus strips felt out of place, or their punch was a little off... the ones in this book were perfect!

Maxdibe
2008-09-17, 09:04 AM
Mine arrived today here in Italy, with all the other books I ordered, but with no :elan: magnet...
I order exactly on 13/8 and I don't get why I don't hage the magnet.

Anyway, great books, now I have to read everyone of them from -1 to 3!
Or do you think I should read in another order?

PaulTheSamurai
2008-09-18, 01:43 PM
Well I got my copy yesterday. I really enjoyed the introduction by Pat Rothfuss. Like him I also grew up playing D&D. Even though I havent played in many years I still indentify with the community very much. And OOTS plays a big in that. Thanks Giant!

By the way, if you havent read "The Name of the Wind" I strongly recommend it. It is a great story!

phlip
2008-09-19, 06:19 AM
The books are definitely best read in printing order... 1, 0, 2, -1, 3.

Technically, it shouldn't matter too much when you read the prequel books (by design, the main storyline doesn't rely on the prequels... but if you, say, read Origin of PCs before strip #580 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0580.html), then the joke'll be funnier).
However, the prequel books do rely on stuff from the main storyline. Origin of PCs isn't going to make much sense before reading the first book... indeed, as far as #131 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html) (for story points) and #150 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0150.html) (for one joke). Similarly, Start of Darkness assumes you know all about the Snarl, and similar matters brought up in Book 2... if you don't know about them, then the exposition will fall a little flat.

I can't recall offhand if SoD has any references to OtOoPCs, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Anyways, while it's more chronological to read SoD before OtOoPCs before the main story, the actual storyline doesn't flow from one book to the next like they do in the main story... OtOoPCs and SoD are much more standalone.

Lissou
2008-09-19, 08:51 AM
Mine arrived today here in Italy, with all the other books I ordered, but with no :elan: magnet...
I order exactly on 13/8 and I don't get why I don't hage the magnet.

Well, you seem to have read the online strip, so it doesn't matter much, honestly. You can try and read them in printing order so you read the commentary in order, or you can read them chronologically, as it won't spoil anything for someone who has read the archives.

Maxdibe
2008-09-19, 09:07 AM
Well, I've read every comic strip online and re-read some parts I didn't remember...
I've read books 1, 0, now I'm reading -1 and then I'll go on with 2 and 3.
Everything understandable to me.

Really love prefaces :biggrin:

SPoD
2008-09-19, 03:16 PM
I can't recall offhand if SoD has any references to OtOoPCs, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

The scene with Eugene and Roy discussing the Blood Oath in OtOoPCs has a "gap" in the middle of it, where we are told that Eugene explains how Xykon killed Eugene's master (but don't actually see it). That gap is shown in SoD. Thus, it helps to read OtOoPCs before SoD, but it's not truly crucial, it just adds to the context of the later scene.

spaceLem
2008-09-23, 06:00 AM
I preordered, and mine hasn't arrived yet (in the UK), although I got the confirmation email ages ago. I was too busy with my dissertation to check on its progress. :(

I'm pretty sure this is out of APE's hands now, does anyone know who I should be contacting, Post Office, some other shipment group?

Listior
2008-09-24, 10:20 AM
I preordered, and mine hasn't arrived yet (in the UK), although I got the confirmation email ages ago. I was too busy with my dissertation to check on its progress. :(

I'm pretty sure this is out of APE's hands now, does anyone know who I should be contacting, Post Office, some other shipment group?
I 'm dealing with just the same problem (well, I'm in Germany). The USPS tells me nothing but the same junk since August 30th and I do SO wanne hold this book in my hands! Maybe the War&XP-ship to Europe simply sank and nobody got it by now...

I would be happy to get a pointer what has to be done now, too.

Lissou
2008-09-24, 01:42 PM
I 'm dealing with just the same problem (well, I'm in Germany). The USPS tells me nothing but the same junk since August 30th and I do SO wanne hold this book in my hands! Maybe the War&XP-ship to Europe simply sank and nobody got it by now...

I got mine very early on (I'm in France).
I think you need to see with your country's post office if you're trying to track the package, as it stops being the USPS's responsability when it leaves the US territory.

mofabulous
2008-09-24, 09:25 PM
Bought my copy at local comic book store today.

I now have all the books :smallbiggrin:

I find the books to be worthwhile not just for the bonus comics, but the authors notes on each section. I love reading how his creative process works and that alone makes me spend the money with a smile on my face.

Ever since the comic where he had Roy in LG afterlife and he sees his little brother - I never had a story affect me so deeply. I lost my older brother when I was real young and that brought tears to my eyes just bringing back all that emotion.

So Mr Burlew... I am a huge fan of your work and eagerly await the NEXT book.

spaceLem
2008-09-25, 08:28 AM

I'm really looking forward to getting it too, and I'd hate to lose out on the fridge magnet for pre-ordering. I checked with the post office, and they said to get back in touch with APE games, since they're the original sender. I've sent them an email, I'll let you know what they say when they get back.

Personally, I suspect the Royal Mail is at fault, because they're rubbish.

Listior
2008-09-25, 09:14 PM
I got mine very early on (I'm in France).
I think you need to see with your country's post office if you're trying to track the package, as it stops being the USPS's responsability when it leaves the US territory.
The trouble is: I don't have any prove that the book ever left the US Territory^^ The only thing I have is this:
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1275/uspsij3.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=uspsij3.jpg)
Well, it MUST be somewhere...

lem: I tried them for answers, too, but I didn't get any, set aside that tracking number. But I will be bursting with joy if you get to know anything.

Edit:
Well, as funny as it is:
My copy finally arrived today. The envelope was damaged seriously but the guys at APE had been clever enough to use more than just one envelope to protect the book. Magnet and book are in quite good condition, though.

What about you, spaceLem?

spaceLem
2008-09-29, 09:25 AM
What about you, spaceLem?

Not yet. Still waiting for a reply, or even one of those notes through the door that say "sorry you weren't in when we tried to deliver, so we've taken your package back to the depot", even when you've been up and waiting for them since 7am. Happens a lot in Edinburgh :smallyuk:

-- Edit --

Okay, it just arrived. Typical given that I've just posted my reply. Unfortunately, there was no fridge magnet :smallfrown: Stupid hurricanes.

Cleverdan22
2008-09-30, 05:16 PM
I ordered mine last night and live in the States. Anybody else who does have an idea of when it's gonna get here?

Listior
2008-10-01, 08:40 AM
Not yet. Still waiting for a reply, or even one of those notes through the door that say "sorry you weren't in when we tried to deliver, so we've taken your package back to the depot", even when you've been up and waiting for them since 7am. Happens a lot in Edinburgh :smallyuk:

-- Edit --

Okay, it just arrived. Typical given that I've just posted my reply. Unfortunately, there was no fridge magnet :smallfrown: Stupid hurricanes.
Well, one could have seen it coming for it was nearly the same with me.

I'm pretty happy finally having the book and of course I read through it within hours. I hated what happened to Roy in the first place when I read it online but having it in a book made it become reality, of some sort. Also Miko's fate...well, this certainly isn't the right place for that kind of conversation^^

Cleverdan22: Hmm... I think, three to five days shall do the trick.

Pyro
2008-10-05, 03:43 PM
Out of curiosity, how did the publishers fit #443 (Roy's death) in? Is it a foldout, or was it split into multiple pages?

Deepkicker
2008-10-05, 06:18 PM
Despite having received an e-mail about the hurricane delay, mine arrived pretty quickly. About five days I'd say, which was surprising taking into account previous things I've ordered overseas. Got No Cure along with it. I'm a happy man. Rich's commentary is the best reason to buy it in my opinion.

SteveMB
2008-10-05, 07:17 PM
Out of curiosity, how did the publishers fit #443 (Roy's death) in? Is it a foldout, or was it split into multiple pages?

It was printed in multiple columns.

mlsq42
2008-10-07, 07:00 AM
I bought it (along with 2 and -1) at a Con I was at yesterday. I probably could have got them cheaper online but I paid for the convience. All awesome, although I'm not sure if one of the bonus comics was meant to be titled BONUS...

Kioran
2008-10-08, 07:10 PM
I bought it today. It was a decent purchase, but the first of the lot (I have all of them) which did not leave me entirely satisfied. I still think I got my money's worth, what with the strips in the compilation and the Insight into some of the "inner workings" of this.

One thing really annoyed me though: specifically the "detergent"-strip and some of the offhand remarks in the chapter prefaces. No character with any real significance to the story, should ever be made into something that is both utterly ridiculous, respectless and not even funny. It's a detriment to the overall character/figure and all it represents, signifies or does.
After reading these parts of the additional content, I could not take any action resulting from Miko's fall and messiah-complex with the same degree of seriousness or acceptance as before.

This is actually one of the rare occasions where an omission would have served the story. It just reinforces the perception that Miko still has loads of Meta-baggage to carry after all the other major characters got rid of most of theirs, for the better of the story. To me, it somewhat invalidates the character development if, after all of it, a character still has a wall to run into even if some of it now doesn't exactly fit the character.
I hardly see where ragging on Miko after the point has already been made furthers the story.

Well, my 2 cp.

mlsq42
2008-10-08, 07:56 PM
Hmm. I can see your point, however it does give you an insight into her normal life, in which even in such a mundane act she STILL sees signs that she's God's Gift To Everything. But I do see your point.

Muppetknight
2008-10-09, 10:20 PM
I'm thinking on buying it. Is it good?

NerfTW
2008-10-10, 11:09 AM
I'm thinking on buying it. Is it good?

Um, it's a compilation. It has a few pages of commentary. Whether or not you should buy it depends entirely on whether or not you want to own a physical copy of the online comic.

Do not just buy it because you think the several extra comics and commentary are going to blow your mind, because you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Muppetknight
2008-10-10, 06:55 PM
Will it be avilable at any stores other than online ones.

Kioran
2008-10-11, 05:02 AM
Will it be avilable at any stores other than online ones.

I bought mine at a Brick-and-mortar store in my hometown in germany. So in short, as long as you are in northern america or europe, yes, a store will be able to order it for you.
As for the question of it being worth it: It is, if you consider that it's the most visible means of supporting the comic and it's creator. As for additional content: that depends. "Start of darkness" and "On the origin of PCs" are exclusives, so to speak, and I can especially recommend the former. Among the strip compilations, especially "No cure for the Paladin blues" stands out as the best of 'em, with the, too me, coolest additional content.
"War and EXPs" additional content was....lackluster. Too me at least. To me, it was too "Meta", as in the author wanting to tell us something instead of telling a story or picking out the "Magnesium Elementals".....Still worth it, but more from a support angle than anything else.