PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion d20 Campaign Setting

CrazyMacGuy
2008-07-22, 01:51 PM
Hello all you out there in the playground, I'm just getting this post started because I want to get a feel or people's interest/knowledge of any systems based on the Elder Scrolls series of games.

I am currently working heavily on a campaign setting and system of races/monsters/challenges to use to follow the first main storyline of the game.

This first post is just a shell till I can post more when I get home.

Please comment on this fun idea if you have already heard of things or whatever pertaining to the game.

Zeta Kai
2008-07-22, 08:38 PM
I found something here (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-763702.html), for what it's worth.

FireSpark
2008-07-22, 09:25 PM
ProTip: If it can be Homebrewed, Zeta knows where it is, or has already done it himself. :smalltongue:

RTGoodman
2008-07-22, 09:36 PM
There's also a Tamriel d20 (http://www.freewebs.com/arthmodeus/index.htm) that I've looked over before. It's only partly done (and probably won't ever be finished, since it hasn't been updated, as far as I know, in several years), but I know he has the Races and some Prestige Classes done. (Of course, to get to the PrCs, you have to click the link for the Classes chapter, since the PrC chapter link takes you to an author info page.) It could at least be a start.

Also, if you're trying to stick close to the mechanics of the game, I'd suggest going with Spell Points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm), Recharge Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/rechargeMagic.htm), or something like that rather than standard D&D Vancian casting. The Generic Class variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm) also works a bit like the Elder Scrolls system (in Morrowind, at least, which is what I've played), letting you pick and choose different class features.

CrazyMacGuy
2008-07-23, 10:43 AM
Thanks so much for the ideas guys, and yea, that Tamriel d20 thing looks dead... the only post on the forums were people trying to advertise WoW power leveling... nerds

And thank you for the other link Zeta, there are some good ideas there as well.

Its little bit by little bit that I really get something going, and a new idea in my head, but I will begin putting up my Races, which I think I basically have done, for you all to look at.

Ra-Tiel
2008-07-23, 08:46 PM
There's also a thread on the WotC boards where someone updated quite a lot of TES to 4E. When the WotC forums are unbroken again (:smallannoyed:) I'll post the link.

// Edit: Here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1053499)'s the link. Hope that helps. :smallsmile:

CrazyMacGuy
2008-08-24, 10:28 AM
Ok, a bit of Necromancy, but I would also like to get people's opinion if this would be something they would be interested in playing?

kwanzaabot
2008-08-25, 05:10 AM
Ok, a bit of Necromancy, but I would also like to get people's opinion if this would be something they would be interested in playing?

I'd play it. I've been working on an Elder Scrolls 3.5 setting of my own, actually. It's mostly copy/pasted mechanics from other sources (included, but not limited to Tamriel d20 :smalltongue:), though. I wouldn't mind comparing notes, though!

I'd love to see the not-so common races explored too*. A campaign set around the Battle of Red Mountain involving Chimer and Dwemer, or an Akaviri/Daedric (Tsaesci and Dark Seducers FTW) campaign would be something I could really dig.

*because I can't figure out balanced racial traits on my own :smallredface:

CrazyMacGuy
2008-08-26, 07:15 PM
Yea, racial balance is something I've struggled with as well.

To test things I've been running a campaign centered around the exact plot line of the campaign, so I can concentrate more on mechanics and how things are playing. Its been working well, but I think I'm too tied to the guidebook now that I've been using as a reference, even if it has worked well. I'll continue to play around, and yea, whatever you have you want to post, we can all look it over... I'll be getting my stuff up this week as well, since I finally have made tweaks as I like...

kwanzaabot
2008-08-26, 07:51 PM
Yea, racial balance is something I've struggled with as well.

To test things I've been running a campaign centered around the exact plot line of the campaign, so I can concentrate more on mechanics and how things are playing. Its been working well, but I think I'm too tied to the guidebook now that I've been using as a reference, even if it has worked well. I'll continue to play around, and yea, whatever you have you want to post, we can all look it over... I'll be getting my stuff up this week as well, since I finally have made tweaks as I like...

I'll post my "uncommon races" that i've been working on, since you've probably got Imperials, Dunmer, Khajit and so on covered already. :smalltongue:

Without further ado, here's my Dwemer and Sload!

Dwemer (Deep Elves, Dwarves)

The Dwemer were a fabled lost race of Mer hailing from Resdayn (modern day Morrowind). Their ruins and artifacts are scattered across Tamriel, specifically within Hammerfell (mainly in the mountains of Stros M'Kai), High Rock and Morrowind. Meric races use the term "Dwemer," which translates to "deep," "deep-counseled," or "secretive" people. They are alternatively known as Dwarves, a term used by Imperials and possibly created by the giants. They formed free-thinking, yet reclusive Elven clans devoted to the secrets of science, engineering, and the arcane.
The entire Dwemer race disappeared off the face of Nirn instantly during the battle of Red Mountain-although many theories to their disappearance have been put forward, there exists no solid evidence where or why they left.

Names: Examples of male Dwemer names include: Dumac, Yagrum Bagarn, Kagrenac, Bthuand Mzahnch, Ynaleigh, Welyn Naerillic, Fangbith, Ghorick, Beran, Joltereg, Nevith, Maraneon, Ianthippus Minthurk, Umphatic Faer, Nchylbar and Radac.
Female names include: Genefra, Kamdida.

Dwemer as Characters

Dwemer characters possess the following racial traits:

• +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
• Medium Humanoid (Elf)
• A Dwemer's base land speed is 30 ft.
• Low-light Vision.
• +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. A Dwemer who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
• Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
• +2 racial bonus on Appraise and Craft checks that are related to stone or metal items.
• Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Dwemer are automatically proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as all armor and shields (except tower shields)
• The Calling (Sp): All Dwemer can communicate with each other telepathically, regardless of distance. Dwemer cannot naturally use this telepathy on non-Dwemer, however. The Dwemer communicating must be on the same plane, aware of each other's existence and both Dwemer involved must be willing to communicate. Messages to groups of Dwemer rather than individuals is possible (for example, “all Dwemer of the Rourken clan”), although only simple (up to 10 words), one-way telepathic messages are possible (no reply may be given, and only the message-sender needs to be aware of the existence of the other Dwemer).
• Automatic Languages: Common (Tamrielic), Dwarven (Dwemeris).
• Bonus Languages: Any
• Favored Class: Wizard or Sorcerer.

NOTE: Names were taken from a combination of the Dwemer mentioned in Morrowind/Tribunal's main quest, and Marobar Sul's "Ancient Tales of the Dwemer" books, although those books should be taken with a grain of salt.

"The Calling" is specifically taken from Marobar Sul's "Chimarvamidium".

Sload

The most hated race in all of Tamriel, the Sload are a race of sluglike beastmen from the Coral Kingdoms of Thras. Sload are highly intelligent and have perfect recall of practically anything they have ever seen or heard. They are also quite skilled at magic, particularly necromancy and teleportation magics.

Sload as Characters

Sload characters possess the following racial traits:

• +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
• Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic)
• A Sload's base land speed is 20 ft.
• Sload also have a swim speed of 20 feet. A Sload has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. He can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. He can use the run action while swimming, provided he swims in a straight line.
• Darkvision 60ft.
• +2 racial bonus on Climb checks: Sloads can mould their tentacle-like hands around whatever they hold, allowing them to have an incredibly strong grip and the ability to climb things many other races can't.
• +2 racial bonus on Bluff checks: Sload do not experience emotions as the Tamrielic races do, but are often skilled at acting and may exaggeratedly simulate them for the benefit of more emotive beings.
• Amphibious (Ex): Sload, although Aquatic, can survive indefinitely on land.
• Mark and Recall (Sp): The Sload are an innately cautious and careful people, and all Sload are trained in the art of Mysticism from a young age. As a standard action, a Sload may mark the spot at which he stands with magical energy, and once per day, may be recalled to that spot as a standard action. The Sload may only Mark one spot at a time, but is free to change this location whenever he wishes.
• Automatic Languages: Common (Tamrielic), Sload. Bonus Languages: Any
• Favoured Class: Wizard or Sorcerer.

I'm considering giving the Sload a favoured class of Dread Necromancer, but that class relies on Charisma, a trait I wouldn't really identify with Sload. Both Dwemer and Sload have ability scores i'm not 100% sure on, but they do make sense at the same time...?
As you can see, my Meric races are based heavily on the standard D&D elves, at least as far as low-light vision, finding secret doors and sleep immunity go. It probably doesn't make sense lore-wise, but it's mostly for compatibility's sake. Plus, it's an easy way for people to tell that they're elves. :smalltongue: