PDA

View Full Version : Celia's body?

mikeejimbo
2008-07-22, 03:01 PM
So even though an old skeleton is worth 5gp and a live halfling is worth 30, a fresh slyph corpse is worth over 20,000??

(Actually, I assume he would use the golem himself, so it's not like he was really losing much, plus just having her dead would probably be satisfying, so I know it's not really a serious question, but it's funny.)

Haleyintraining
2008-07-22, 03:10 PM
So even though an old skeleton is worth 5gp and a live halfling is worth 30, a fresh slyph corpse is worth over 20,000??

(Actually, I assume he would use the golem himself, so it's not like he was really losing much, plus just having her dead would probably be satisfying, so I know it's not really a serious question, but it's funny.)

The skeleton has been dead for ages, and Belkar is a) Way smaller the Celia and B) Insane.

Red XIV
2008-07-22, 03:19 PM
I'd also assume that a sylph is a lot rarer than a human skeleton or a halfling. At least in this plane.

tyckspoon
2008-07-22, 03:20 PM
Well, Roy's just a boring old human and Belkar's a standard halfling. Those are materials one can presumably acquire regularly and cheaply in Greysky. Celia, on the other hand, is a sylph. That's a nice rare and already magical corpse there. There may be some special type of golem Grubwiggler could make with her body that he can't produce with standard humanoid races, which would make her quite valuable to him. And if not.. he could dissect her for reagents. Fine old fantasy tradition there.

vegetalss4
2008-07-22, 03:21 PM
The skeleton has been dead for ages, and Belkar is a) Way smaller the Celia and B) Insane.

the fact that Belkar is insane has nothing to do with this. however the fact the he is in a bad shape, and thet people in this place would accept any amount of money as long as they felt that it would be worth the effort, seems to be much more important

WarriorTribble
2008-07-22, 03:29 PM
I'd also worth noting that 20,000 is costs, plus probably a ridiculously generous profit margin.

David Argall
2008-07-22, 03:53 PM
Well, there are additional uses for a fresh female corpse, ways he might be partial to, or at least resigned to. His dating pool looks to be rather limited.

sihnfahl
2008-07-22, 04:13 PM
Well, there are additional uses for a fresh female corpse, ways he might be partial to, or at least resigned to. His dating pool looks to be rather limited.
Then again, people come to him with rather fresh corpses (the guy Celia talked to in the street said his brother was only dead a few hours).

Grubwiggler could definitely make his own...

Evil DM Mark3
2008-07-22, 04:13 PM
I think this may be more a case of a very clever way of saying "You try and get away without paying, you die."

Cost of Golem: 20,000gp
Value recouped from Slyph: (say) 150gp
Having people know that you are not to be messed with and will kill any who try with ease: Pricless.

There are some people who are afraid of nothing, for everyone else there is the golem made of the last poor sucker who tried to short change you.

Samurai Jill
2008-07-22, 05:10 PM
Isn't Celia some kinda elemental? Don't they just regenerate on their home plane, or something...

Logalmier
2008-07-22, 05:15 PM
No, your thinking of devils. If Celia dies then she just goes of to whatever heaven matches her alignment.

Samurai Jill
2008-07-22, 05:26 PM
Huh. I thought that happened with all outsiders...

Red XIV
2008-07-22, 05:57 PM
Regular beings have separate bodies and souls, with the soul going to whatever afterlife suits their alignment and the body becoming an empty lifeless shell when they die. For outsiders, on the other hand, body and soul are one and the same. That's one of the major things that distiguish them. As for what happens to outsiders when they die, like Haley said. They keep changing it. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html)

patsen29
2008-07-22, 06:29 PM
Remember, she was summoned. Summoned creatures disappear when 'killed', and take 24 hours to reform.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#summoning

kpenguin
2008-07-22, 07:23 PM
Remember, she was summoned. Summoned creatures disappear when 'killed', and take 24 hours to reform.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#summoning

I tried to check the comics to see if the talisman calls or summons Celia when broken. It appears summoning is correct.

That takes away a bit of tension.

Spiky
2008-07-22, 07:46 PM

There are also additional uses for a fresh female. I'm not sure taking Hieronymous Grubwiggler at his word is useful.

Red XIV
2008-07-22, 09:33 PM
I tried to check the comics to see if the talisman calls or summons Celia when broken. It appears summoning is correct.

That takes away a bit of tension.
Given that summoning is said to be the only type of magical access not blocked by Cloister, it had to be summoning.

disorder
2008-07-23, 02:30 AM
But Grubwiggler doesn't know that Celia was summoned, so from his point of view he's still making a valid threat toward her. And the threat carries weight to Celia as well, because she clearly doesn't want to return to her home plane and abandon Roy to his fate.

David Argall
2008-07-23, 02:49 PM
Given Celia has been on this plane for a period of years, her status as summonsed may be compromised. Her home plane may well be the same as the party's and thus she no longer returns to her home plane when killed. Note 51 where the body of the deal slyph remains, unlike the normal summonsed creature vanishing when killed.

Red XIV
2008-07-23, 07:06 PM
Wait, didn't Celia return to her home plane after leaving the Dungeon of Dorukan and dropping off the Linear Guild at the local jail, and again after the trial and her time with Roy in Azure City? That was the whole point of the talisman: to give Roy a way to contact her when he finished his quest, since they weren't going to be in the same plane of existence.

David Argall
2008-07-23, 08:16 PM
there is no sign of it. Celia talks of flying to her boyfriend's house, flying to the trial... Roy assumes he can make a surprise visit to Celia if he can save the world fast... It all works out to Celia living offstage, not offplane.
It is entirely possible to summons someone from the same plane.

Lupy
2008-07-23, 09:07 PM
I think Celia lives on the Oots plane, if she dies does she still go back to the elemental plane of air?

kpenguin
2008-07-23, 11:37 PM
Given Celia has been on this plane for a period of years, her status as summonsed may be compromised. Her home plane may well be the same as the party's and thus she no longer returns to her home plane when killed. Note 51 where the body of the deal slyph remains, unlike the normal summonsed creature vanishing when killed.

It doesn't matter if the Celia's home plane is the material plane. From the SRD:

Summoning

A summoning spell instantly brings a creature or object to a place you designate. When the spell ends or is dispelled, a summoned creature is instantly sent back to where it came from, but a summoned object is not sent back unless the spell description specifically indicates this. A summoned creature also goes away if it is killed or if its hit points drop to 0 or lower. It is not really dead. It takes 24 hours for the creature to reform, during which time it can’t be summoned again.

When the spell that summoned a creature ends and the creature disappears, all the spells it has cast expire. A summoned creature cannot use any innate summoning abilities it may have, and it refuses to cast any spells that would cost it XP, or to use any spell-like abilities that would cost XP if they were spells.

Note that the word "plane" does not appear at all. It appears that the reformation occurs whether the summoning was interplanar or not.

As for Celia's dead coworkers, they may not have been under a summoning effect. There is no evidence to suggest that Durkon summoned or called them. In fact, the single panel with Celia being interviewed by a djinn implies that either Celia applied for the job or was sent there by an employment office. If Celia and her coworkers indeed have the Material Plane as their home plane, this could be done through mundane means without summoning or calling magic involved.